Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Monday, November 8, 2004  -  1:13 PM Reply with quote
PSYCHOLOGY OF BANI ISRAEL

assalamualaykum

Hope all is well

As I revised Qura'n during Ramdan and came across bani israil again a no. of times , was wondering wat was this particular psychology that kept them from accepting truth each timer
when you have a moment pls do write something about the possile psychology they had and how can we avoid it

you can post to

http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/forum.aspx?forumid=36

wassalaam n regards

henna

Dr.HKhan
Coordinator Communities @ www.studying-Islam.org
abdullah099

USA
Posted - Monday, November 8, 2004  -  6:47 PM Reply with quote
I think that there are mainly two reasons why the majority of bani Israel were rebellious. When the prophet Musa had first rescued them from Egypt and brought them to the holy land, they still retained an inferiority complex. This is not uncommon even today as many muslims have an inferiority complex when comparing themselves to the West for instance. The first generation of bani Israel who became Muslim still felt that they were physically and phycologically inferior to other nations, since that is the terminology which Pharoh and the Egyptians used to oppress them in their society. So even though they were superior to the non-muslims in that they had the help of Allah s.w.t., they still felt they were weak. A good example of that is when they were traveling and saw a group of people who had built an idiol out of a tree and they asked the prophet Musa (pbuh) to build them an idol like theres, even though they knew that it was wrong to set up partners with Allah s.w.t. Or when they refused to fight the occupiers of the Holy land and instead told the prophet Musa to go and fight with Allah and they'll stay put.

Another problem that they had is that even though they were shown a great deal of Signs by Allah s.w.t. they still held some disbelief in their hearts. They would ask the prophet Musa too many questions, and some of them even went as far as asking to see Allah s.w.t.

The difference between them and the ummah of the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.), is that the Quraish were looked up to in all of Arabia as the most educated and powerful nation. So the prophet Muhammad's followers did not have this inferiority complex. Also the followers of the prophet Muhammad never asked for a sign to be shown to them. They believed wholeheartedly.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  2:53 PM Reply with quote
Salam alykum sister Henna

I am sorry for being late in replying. I am in the middle of a very busy
semester and i just dont get the time to read too much or to write at all. i
think what u r pointing to is v.interesting and would be worth thinking
about.i might not have the time to write it just as yet though. I will keep
it in mind. Also, I would not want to put down a nation or be judgmental
about the Bani Israel and would have to be careful of what I write. Our own
nation is going thru such a turmoil that we could even look at ourselves and
see what we are doing. that would be another paper :).

wassalam
S

thnx S
Will look fwd to. Do check one of the replies from a U.S. member on that

http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/topic.aspx?topicid=1017&lang=&forumid=36

You are right. We do not need to be judgemental. Why I wish to highlight this psychological status is that this is exactly what we muslims are following today, mostly. So it will be a matter of learning together :)

Best wishes for your exam.

regards
henna
surgeonakhlaq

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, November 13, 2004  -  11:08 PM Reply with quote
Assalaamu’alaikum,

So far as my knowledge is concerned, Hazrat Ibrahim (als) has two sons, Hazrat Isaaq(als)- elder and Hazrat Ismail (als)- younger. Here there is division of two families.

1. Hazrat Yaqub (als) is son of Hazrat Isaaq(als)- to which name Bani Israeel is attributed and almost all the messengers of Allah except Holy Prophet, Muhammad (peace be upon him) and few others are through this family. Before Holy Prophet, Muhammad (peace be upon him) this nation was a sacred one having three books and all the blessings of Allah on them, as some kingdom and they were proud of it. Their “Qibla” was “Masjid-e-Aqsa-Palestine” The non-believers were there at that times as today. I think there is no difference of the psychology between the non-believers of the present and past but nations i.e. Bani Israeel and Islamic Ummah.

2. Hazrat Ismail (als) is the second family from which only Holy Prophet; Muhammad (peace be upon him) was born after a long period and who suspended all the books and orderes valid at that time and started his own Sharia with order of Allah i.e. Quran and Ahadith. He also changed the “Qibla”, by the order of Allah from “Masjid-e-Aqsa-Palestine” to “Masjid-e-Haram-Makkah”

Reason of the Psychology of Israeel is their all privileges, orders, books and even “Qibla” being suspended and Holy Prophet; Muhammad (peace be upon him), Quran and Sunnah being superior to all their messengers books and every aspect. Their Psychology is based typically upon this frustration. Frustration manifests in two ways, depression and agitation/aggressiveness in the sever form.

Next is belief, which is not an easy job at which, the psychology is again same between the non-believers of the present and past but nations only i.e. Bani Israeel and Islamic Ummah. We have Islam already accepted by our forefathers. Think for a moment, if we were at times of Holy Prophet, Muhammad (peace be upon him) or before that, we perhaps would had been the same as those non-believers because leaving the present belief and accepting the new one is extremely difficult.

According to Quran they are our enemies and they can never be our friends. So they must be dealt only upto the level of their “Haququl-Ibad” for which they are almost equally partners. The only way to melt them is paying “Haququl-Ibad” upto the level of sacrifice and truthfulness. Only his weapon (our attitude to them) was used 1425 years ago i.e. paying “Haququl-Ibad” upto the level of sacrifice and truthfulness. Control of anger as in one of my posts in any forum, comes under the category of “Haququl-Ibad”. Sacrifice (Esaar & Qurbani) means sacrifying one's own needs for the others. In this way “Kuffar” were not simply impressed but joined Islam at the same time, Sunhan-Allah.
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, November 14, 2004  -  5:02 AM Reply with quote

Asalam Aalaikum

According to my knowledge, Bani Isreal rejected the messeges of Allah(swt) brought by His Prophets is because they were suffering from superiority complex and arrogance.

But I think we should not be concerned about this issue, since we have our own problems and we(muslims) should concentrate on our own issues especially the issue of disunity.

Regards,
abdullah099

USA
Posted - Monday, November 15, 2004  -  5:27 PM Reply with quote
So far as my knowledge is concerned, Hazrat Ibrahim (als) has two sons, Hazrat Isaaq(als)- elder and Hazrat Ismail (als)- younger. Here there is division of two families.

Actually Hazrat Ismail was the eldest son of Hazrat Ibrahim. When Hazrat Ibrahim went to Egypt he asked permission from his wife Sarah to marry Hajar so that he could have a son. Sarah at the time was barren so she agreed to let him marry her so that he could have a pious son. And we know that shortly afterwards Hazrat Ismail was born to Hajar. Then many years later Hazrat Ibrahim was visited by three angels who gave him the glad tidings of another son, Hazrat Isaaq who would be born from Sarah.

Also I think that the original question was posed towards why Bani Israel had gone astray in the first place. Because we know that they had long since received the curse of Allah s.w.t. even before the prophet Muhammad was born. They orignally began to decline after the death of the Prophet Sulaiman. That is when they became corrupted. This continued unto the time of the Prophet Isa, and he was sort of their last chance to come back to the straight path, because after him they weren't sent any more prophets.

Edited by: abdullah099 on Monday, November 15, 2004 5:28 PM
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, November 17, 2004  -  11:13 PM Reply with quote
thnx all for your precious comments

ps above wher I mentioned:

"Why I wish to highlight this psychological status is that this is exactly what we muslims are following today, mostly. So it will be a matter of learning together :) "Qura'n does not quote stories for the sake of them. It does so for us in order to learn from others' mistakes.

Secondly, nonbelievers or people of book of those times are not at all being matched to these people in today's age. Everyone will be judged by Lord according to their deeds.

When Qura'n instructs not to make friends of certain of them, it points out to the ones who were present in the beloved Prophet Muhammad's sws time and had been conveyed the Truth to its utmost by him and his companions.

assalamu alaykum/peace
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, November 18, 2004  -  2:59 AM Reply with quote
I would simply echo Dr. Khan's comments. The difference between the Israelites and all people today is the presence of a Prophet and miracles.

And by miracles, we do not mean a miraculous birth or recovery, or Virgin Mary appearing on sandwiches and other places, or Ganesha pouring forth milk or for that matter trees aligned to spell the Kalimah.

The miracles witnessed by the Israelites proved beyond doubt, the existence of God and His power. Unless ofcourse one adopts the deist approach and considers the Koranic and Biblical stories as merely allegorical.

However, if we do accept that the Red Sea was actually parted or that there were deadly plagues inflicted on Egypt which harmed only the Egyptians and not the Israelites, then we do not know what matter of people were the Israelites made up of?

It is virtually impossible for us to place ourselves in their shoes or for that matter in those of the Holy Prophet's Companions. The awe and bewilderment that they possibly must have felt cannot be described. We cannot know about their psychology with certainty. One can only delve in conjectures.

Anyways, our task is more difficult and easy at the same time. Difficult because we do not have certainty, we cannot and do not know many things for sure. However, easy because, had we approached certainty and then committed sins, we would have surely been doomed. That is what the Koran, in my opinion, tries to tell us through verses like 'If they saw the angels then they would surely be doomed' or something like that.

I suppose the rambling has gone far enough :)

Edited by: junaidj on Thursday, November 18, 2004 3:02 AM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker