Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Junaidj

CANADA
Topic initiated on Thursday, November 18, 2004  -  9:57 AM Reply with quote
Imam Bukhari's marriage

I have read that Imam Bukhari never married. Can someone help me out with a reference.
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 18, 2004  -  2:43 PM Reply with quote
Te
Where did you read this and why are you interested in knowing whether he was married or not? :)

I'm afraid I can't say much about Imam Bukhari, but I seem to have found many references stating that Imams at-Tabari, Nawawi and ibn Taymiyyah never married either. (One reference: http://www.islam.ca/answers.php?id=510)

Wasalaam.

Saadia
xt
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, November 18, 2004  -  8:05 PM Reply with quote
>>Where did you read this and why are you interested in knowing whether he was married or not? :)

Somewhere on the net, perhaps understanding-islam.org. But not sure.

Anyways, I was of the opinion that he was the only exception in Muslim History, but you have pinpointed others out to me.

If one is to suggest people to tread the path of chastity to those who cannot be rid of their inner homosexual inclinations, then perhaps great examples might help.

Also, to rid the notion that marriage is obligatory as proposed by many traditional clerics.

I feel that by showing inconsistencies to the traditionalists through people they revere might help in a dialogue with them. That was one reason behind the 'Not all that glitters is gold' :)

Edited by: junaidj on Thursday, November 18, 2004 8:06 PM
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 18, 2004  -  8:29 PM Reply with quote
quote:

>>Where did you read this and why are you interested in knowing whether he was married or not? :)

Somewhere on the net, perhaps understanding-islam.org. But not sure.

Anyways, I was of the opinion that he was the only exception in Muslim History, but you have pinpointed others out to me.

If one is to suggest people to tread the path of chastity to those who cannot be rid of their inner homosexual inclinations, then perhaps great examples might help.

Also, to rid the notion that marriage is obligatory as proposed by many traditional clerics.

I feel that by showing inconsistencies to the traditionalists through people they revere might help in a dialogue with them. That was one reason behind the 'Not all that glitters is gold' :)

I think it IS populary held that marriage is obligatory. I don't see any such reference in the Qur'an. Also, for me, the biggest examples are Yahya and Eesa, alaihissalaam, who died bachelors. One could argue that the Shari'ah wasn't finalised before Prophet Muhammad, sws, but since chastity is the issue here, then he's the biggest example. I presented the same argument at a thread on this site (http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/topic.aspx?topicid=801&pg=1&lang=&forumid=1) but unfortunately, my cited examples were taken to start a new debate.

In any case, if you seek to recommend chastity to persons with problems (and may Allah help them), then you could use the Qur'an too.

Let those who find not the wherewithal for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah gives them means out of His grace. (24:33)

Of course, the context refers to having the 'means'; you may interpret that as financial means, but even so, one can go ahead and recommend the same in this case too. Wallahu Alam.

Wasalaam.

Saadia
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, November 18, 2004  -  10:11 PM Reply with quote
>>but unfortunately, my cited examples were taken to start a new debate.

I am willing to concede I know nothing. Why do the self styled custodians of faith usually behave they have answers to all questions? Is their smugness and self righteousness not a sin in itself? Too sure they are of themselves.

Contrast their approach to that of the Companions, that I read in Islahi's 'Juristic Differences and How to resolve them in an Islamic State'.

None of the Companions in a gathering would ever initiate answering on a novel question someone would ask. So much so that in a gathering, the question would be given to someone else till the point it would revert to the first person to whom it was posed.

On the contrary, we observe people here with their never ending spiels, as if they know the secrets of the Heavens and the Earth :)

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker