Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Junaidj

CANADA
Topic initiated on Friday, December 24, 2004  -  6:31 PM Reply with quote
Discrimination

Comment: Discrimination in any form is vile. If I do not like moral busy bodies telling me to wear a prayer cap in mosques, then the following is equally despicable.

However, one may state that if certain places have a decorum requirement like wearing a suit while going to a ball and you end up in jeans, how can you expect entry?

Nonetheless, any comments on the following?

http://www.dawn.com/2004/12/24/letted.htm#7

I had to go to Karachi's Malir Cantonment recently to meet a friend. I was wearing my usual dress - shalwar-kameez and an amama (turban). I was stopped at the entrance to the cantonment area.

One of the soldiers at duty informed me that I could not enter with my head covered in an amama. I refused to follow the instructions and entered into a debate with the duty staff. However, the guards refused to allow me entry, saying they had to follow orders.
Desert_Son

EGYPT
Posted - Monday, January 3, 2005  -  10:24 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Comment: Discrimination in any form is vile. If I do not like moral busy bodies telling me to wear a prayer cap in mosques, then the following is equally despicable.

However, one may state that if certain places have a decorum requirement like wearing a suit while going to a ball and you end up in jeans, how can you expect entry?

Nonetheless, any comments on the following?

http://www.dawn.com/2004/12/24/letted.htm#7

I had to go to Karachi's Malir Cantonment recently to meet a friend. I was wearing my usual dress - shalwar-kameez and an amama (turban). I was stopped at the entrance to the cantonment area.

One of the soldiers at duty informed me that I could not enter with my head covered in an amama. I refused to follow the instructions and entered into a debate with the duty staff. However, the guards refused to allow me entry, saying they had to follow orders.

Do you think it's better to draw a line between what people regard as "fashinable" like jeans and what people regards as "religious obligation" like Hijab or ammama for some?
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, January 4, 2005  -  3:50 AM Reply with quote
>>Do you think it's better to draw a line between what people regard as "fashinable" like jeans and what people regards as "religious obligation" like Hijab or ammama for some?

There are people out there who do consider the amama/hijab/niqab to be a religious requirement. I vehemently disagree with them.

However, despite my disagreement, if that is what they have come to espouse then by all means we must respect their decision.

And I agree with you, and that is what I had mentioned earlier as well, any discrimination against amama/hijab/niqab is vile and reprehensible.

However, having said that if the laws are made such that a driver's license requires the face to be shown for security purposes, then we must respect that law.

Having said that :), the specific case of the person refused entry in Defense cantonment in reprehensible especially so in a Muslim country.

Edited by: junaidj on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 3:51 AM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker