1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
sobi_05

USA
Topic initiated on Friday, June 10, 2005  -  8:35 AM Reply with quote
Why cann't women touch or recite Quran in menses?

Women cannot say their prayers while mensturating. They have been told they cannot touch or recite Quran. They cannot recite even without touching the Holy Quran. I believe that there is no waddu when someone is bleeding even if it is a drop from finger, hence you cannot say prayer without a waddu. My mind accept this. But is there any sound basis behind not touching and reciting Quran during these days??
When you are in habit of reciting Ayatul Qursi or sura Fataha before going to sleep, it is hard to give up and one wonder about this. And its really hard to answer your child , when he asks that why aren't his mother is helping in reciting sura-kusr? What are the grounds on which these restrictions have been made?
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 11, 2005  -  8:19 PM Reply with quote
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

GOD SAYS: Most surely it is an honoured Quran, in a book that is protected. None shall touch it except the purified ones (56: 77-79).

If the purification means that of the body as well then I hope the answer must be clear.

I also want to point out that regarding Wudhu, the Quranic verse is 5: 6 in which it is mentioned to do before going/standing for Salat/Namaz, Not for touching or reciting Holy Quran. But we recite some portion of Holy Quran too in Salat/Namaz and it seems to be that one can’t recite Holy Quran without Wudhu even without touching it.

Keeping in mind the verses 56: 77-79, some people say that without Wudhu one can recite Holy Quran without touching it but if, in this case, we add looking at the verse 5: 6 and reciting Holy Quran in Salat/Namaz, Wudhu seems to be mandatory in both cases. BUT reciting Holy Quran without touching it, without Salat/Namaz and without Wudhu seems to be NOT against the sayings of God.

This is my thinking but God knows better.

Edited by: Loveall on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 9:36 PM
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, June 13, 2005  -  6:02 PM Reply with quote
Assalam alaikum,

thank you loveall for the explaination.

we should also remember that Allah is merciful and intends to make things (rituals) easy for us, as is clear from this verse about fasting:

2.185 ...Allâh intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you...
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, June 14, 2005  -  5:55 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Women cannot say their prayers while mensturating. They have been told they cannot touch or recite Quran. They cannot recite even without touching the Holy Quran. I believe that there is no waddu when someone is bleeding even if it is a drop from finger, hence you cannot say prayer without a waddu. My mind accept this. But is there any sound basis behind not touching and reciting Quran during these days??
When you are in habit of reciting Ayatul Qursi or sura Fataha before going to sleep, it is hard to give up and one wonder about this. And its really hard to answer your child , when he asks that why aren't his mother is helping in reciting sura-kusr? What are the grounds on which these restrictions have been made?
Dear Sister in Islam, You are absolutly RIGHT in your Hazitation regarding Recitation OR even Touching the Holy Quranduring your Mensturation. Believe me THERE is NO BASIS behind it. In fact it's a misunderstanding of the SAME AAYAH quoted ABOVE. Wuddu is NOT a CONDITION for reciting the Quran. There is absolutely NO HARM in reciting Aayatulkursi OR surah Fatihah OR helping your KIDS in their Quran Recitation OR even CARRYING ON your Routine of Reciting Quran. It is Quite clear from the Context of the above quoted aayah that it has NO Relation with Quran Recitation.
I do hope that my answer will made you feel EASY&HAPPY. God Bless you & Plz do remeber us in your DUAs. Jazak i Allah u Khairun.
sobi_05

USA
Posted - Tuesday, June 14, 2005  -  6:40 AM Reply with quote
I believe the verse 56:77-79 which you mentioned above is used in some other context in the Holy Quran. I am waiting for some scholar on this site to comment on this and tell us the full context. Also what do we find in Sunna in this regard??
No where in the Quran, it has said clearly that menstrating women should not touch or recite Quran, while it does give directives regarding abstaining intercourse with wives in these days and having ceremonial bath after mensturation. But as far as my limited knowledge, i couldn't find any directive in this regard.

I am still not fully convinced that women should not recite any sura or verse while mensturating(with out touching it). This just seems so.....odd. I am not a regular reciter, and even for me it is not only difficult to not to recite Quran but also brings a feeling of deprivation in these days, let alone those women who are regular reciter. Here is the tough part, i can not recite "Ayat ul Kursi" when i feel scared at night in one of these days.
What about "Bissmillah hi rahman-ni- raheem" , as every sura starts with this, and the first kalemah ?
Can we recite the translation of any sura ?
The different prayers/dua ? prayer to read when you get out of home, when you get in the home, and the wordings which you reply after you hear Takbeer and calling to azan?
sobi_05

USA
Posted - Tuesday, June 14, 2005  -  7:29 AM Reply with quote
Jazakallah Brother ibrahim. Your reply did make me satisfied. Thats what i've felt all my life. I am still waiting for someone to write this verses ( 56: 77-79) contexual meaning. I know this is the only verse upon which some scholars had made this opionion. And i know what its contexual meaning is but i may not put it in the best words and meanings so lets leave this on the some knowleged person.
Was salaam
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, June 14, 2005  -  11:05 AM Reply with quote
Thanks sister. Its my pleasure that I became Helpful to you. Well i wud Req. u to plz visit the Following Links too:
http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/octquer92.html
http://www.studying-islam.org/querytext.aspx?id=43
Thanks & regards
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, June 14, 2005  -  9:51 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: I believe the verse 56:77-79 which you mentioned above is used in some other context in the Holy Quran.

Have you seen the context or have just a conjecture?

QUOTE: No where in the Quran, it has said clearly that menstrating women should not touch or recite Quran.

First of all tell me where is written in Quran to recite with menses and furthermore Aayatul Kursi especially at night, to prevents the bad dreams etc, which you are reluctant to leave and creating a hardship for yourself and pointing out the others, then I will, Inshhallah, answer your question if you are still not satisfied.

NOTE: Please read my post again.
Rakhtal

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, June 15, 2005  -  2:00 AM Reply with quote
Dear sister, To me it is a Joke and to dishonour Holy Quran if you touch or recite during menses. It is a common sense understanding because if you can leave offering prayers and fasting during theses days Why not touching and reciting Holy Quran. So it is better to wait for these days and avail the facility given by the Shariah.
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, June 15, 2005  -  4:02 AM Reply with quote
i am really astonished to hear that a man is strictly forbidden doing sexual intercurse with a woman in menses unless clean and purifed. and how can the un-clean and un-purified woman touch or read the holy book. in menses it is not a respectfull way to hold or read the book of allah.
it is just a boasting or false belief if he/she is overactive. and want to do which is not his/her duty.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, June 15, 2005  -  8:19 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: OR even Touching the Holy Quranduring your Mensturation. Believe me THERE is NO BASIS behind it. In fact it's a misunderstanding of the SAME AAYAH quoted ABOVE.

Could you please enlighten, What is your BASIS of being so much Overconfident to say, “Believe me” regarding Touching and Reciting Holy Quran during Menstruations?

How can you translate the words of the verse 56: 79 “La Yamassuhoo illal Mutahharoon” and how can you relate the words “Mutahharoon” of 56: 79 AND “Yathurna”, “Tataharna” and “Mutatahherin” of the verse 2: 222. Could you find some relation regarding Touching Holy Quran, specially? Uptill now your statement, regarding touching Holy Quran, seems to be pretty WRONG. On the other hand, as I pointed out in my post earlier, reciting Holy Quran without touching it, without Salat/Namaz and without Wudhu seems to be NOT against the sayings of God.

Regarding the verse 56: 79, I DISAGREE even with the author of the link given because there is NO such context he FORGED.

I shall be obliged if someone answer the following QUESTIONS:

1. Why is a woman reluctant to recite or touch Holy Quran while there is NO SIN if she does not do during these days?

2. Whatever the interpretation is, what is the difficulty in doing Wudhu or the purification, for men and women? I am wondered that we feel hard to do Wudhu/ purification once a day and what about five times a day.

I am also waiting for some comprehensive reply otherwise respecting the Holy Quran, the Quranic words, in general, like “Afalaa Taalamoon”, “Afalaa Taaqeloon”, and “Afalaa Tashoroon etc surely help us to prevents our eyes being sprinkled with sand and to use the common sense to know the matters like for example the difference between Holy Quran and an ordinary book.

Edited by: Loveall on Friday, June 17, 2005 8:40 PM
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, June 18, 2005  -  2:27 AM Reply with quote
Assalam alaikum,

The verse in sura Waqia states that only the clean touch the holy Quran. In one translation, the clean is given as the angels. There can be many interpretations of what is really meant. I do not believe it is an order, like it does not say that 'only clean should touch it'. It says that 'no one touches it but the clean'. It is a statement, not an order.

In any case, I do not see any harm in cleaning yourself first before touching the holy Quran. One should do ablution or ghusl and be in a pure state.

However to make something that Allah has not made a sin or a crime into one, is wrong and no one has the authority except Allah to make something sinful. Does it say any where that if you are not pure state and you touch it, that you will be punished for doing that or that is a sin? It does not say that any where.

Albeit, one should respect the holy book and be clean. This is the proper ettiquet.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 18, 2005  -  6:42 AM Reply with quote
wa Alaikum-us-Salaam Brother oosman & Thanks for a v good Reply.
I'm sorry that DUE to NET problems I was unable to JOIN this Discussion. here is my post that I was looking to post in Brother Loveall's Reply:

Dear Brother Loveall, Have you visited MY above mentioned links before POSTING your This Post. If not, as it looks, then plz go through them & TELL me again what are your Questions then? I'm sorry for asking you to do THIS Effort.
Thanks in Advance for taking some PAIN in understanding a RELIGIOUS matter.

Regards

NOTE: Same is My Humble Request for OTHER PARTICIPANTS too. Thanks
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, June 19, 2005  -  12:34 AM Reply with quote
It is narrated about A'ishah (rta) that during her menstrual cycle she would comb the hair of the Prophet (sws) when he would be offering A'tikaf in the mosque.(Bukhari No: 296)
It is further narrated from her that the Prophet (sws) would read the Qura'n while placing a pillow in her lap.(Bukhari, No:297)

Some scholars opine that the women who are indulged in regular teaching of Qura'n can continue to do so during their menstrual phase, thereby holding the Qura'n but being careful not to touch the arabic text.
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, June 19, 2005  -  7:25 AM Reply with quote
i have heard that oral sex in allowed in the state of menses but i am not satisfied…….i ask the scholars to find some way to satisfy the sex in the menses.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, June 19, 2005  -  9:12 AM Reply with quote
assalamu alaykum (peace) bhavittre dear:)
i;m not an islamic scholar n your query is addresses to them; however after reading your query i cud not wait to say that merely innate guidance and common sense guides us in many issues and the Qura'n and Sunnah guide us if further clarification is required.

cunnilingus/oral sex otherwise itself, although not forbidden in shariah,it seems to be against the norms of a refined taste ingrained in human nature that has not been perverted.
(vide infra) and as a medical(gynaecological) doctor i can add further that let alone the state in which blood from the uterus(womb) passing through the cervix(neck of the womb) and finally the vagina which is a home of potential bacteria can enter one's mouth; whereas prohibition of even normal sexual intercourse during menstruation indicates the high norms of hygiens Islam adapts.

"They [your wives] are [like] a robe for you and you [like] a robe for them. (2:187)
One can construe in the light of what has been said above that Islam has neither imposed any restriction on the position or posture for sexual intimacy nor explicitly stopped the couple from orally stimulating the sexual organs. However, a person must always bear in mind that Islam is a religion that stands for purification and cleanliness – both physical and spiritual. A person’s own nature, if it is not perverted, guides him to be selective and refined in exercising this discretion. He may have the liberty to do anything in this regard, but he should always remember that the spirit and essence of this liberty dictate that he should not become an animal. Consequently, cunnilingus and fellatio may not be prohibited by the Shari‘ah but they seem to be against the norms of a refined taste ingrained in human nature that has not been perverted."
http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/sepq205.htm

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker