What is taqwa?Attainment of Taqwa!

Salams,
what is taqwa?
How can a person attain Taqwa?
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, July 9, 2005  -  7:42 AM Reply with quote
(87:14)But those will prosper who purify themselves,
(87:15)And glorify the name of their Guardian-Lord, and (lift their hearts) in prayer.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, July 22, 2005  -  3:32 PM Reply with quote
Taqwa/Piety means having absolute fear of Almighty Allah at each and every step and breath in our lives.

For different view see the following link of this site.

http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/topic.aspx?topicid=345&lang=&forumid=1
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, July 23, 2005  -  2:22 PM Reply with quote
No, fear is different, and taqwa is different.
I think you should research properly.
Taqwa is derived from the word "waqa". "waqa" means "to guard, to protect, to save"
Even I could have given this kind of an answer immediately but that's not the point, the point is to present the correct research and if you haven't researched, you should keep quiet like me.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, July 23, 2005  -  8:11 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: I think you should research properly. Even I could have given this kind of an answer immediately but that's not the point, the point is to present the correct research.

You are right. I also have no research. I have mentioned what read and heard from the others.

By the way, if we do not proceed on the literal meanings of Taqwa, PRACTICALLY only those can guard (Waqa) against evils who have an absolute fear of God. So the real sense of Taqwa seems to be based ENTIRELY on the fear of God otherwise it (Taqwa) is absolutely impossible to attain. Isn’t it?

By the way, for example, should someone remain hungry and thirsty till evening after knowing ONLY the literal meanings of the Arabic word “Saom” in Quran or should someone distribute money to the needy people after knowing ONLY the literal meanings of the Arabic word “Zakat” in Quran and similarly with the many other words?

QUOTE: and if you haven't researched, you should keep quiet like me.

I disagree. If someone is keeping quiet how can learn the things. For example if I were quiet, perhaps would have not known about Taqwa derived from the word Waqa otherwise I had already known the literal meanings of Taqwa.
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, July 24, 2005  -  12:41 AM Reply with quote
Loveall I have to appreciate ur quality to accept ur mistake.
Though you show a bit approval of the previous when u define things.
I would rather say questioning and negating is the first step to understanding.
Anyway, ur argument about "fear" as the base of "taqwa" in the following words
quote:

By the way, if we do not proceed on the literal meanings of Taqwa, PRACTICALLY only those can guard (Waqa) against evils who have an absolute fear of God.

is a bit limiting a very vast quality of human character excellence.

Keeping in view of all the human's major lusts in view, we can assume that fear is the tool that can be used to keep him away from these sins
but
Dont u think that caring/love/commitment to God is the stronger tool, which if one uses can not only be misled but would also strive for excellence in character. Coz if you believe in someones highness and you owe commitement/care/attachment to him/her you not only obeys him/her but you also try to show effeciency.

And this "effeciency" actually drives us forward and gives us way not only to have better life after death but also progress in this world.

Edited by: gohar on Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:48 AM
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, July 24, 2005  -  6:10 AM Reply with quote
Why fear, why not love? Taqwa is a very broad word and fear is a limited word and you have limited it even further by using absolute.

You can guard/protect/save your self from ALLAH's disapproval, due to deep and sincere love for ALLAH, and due to fear not to earn HIS disapproval. Hasn't ALLAH, being providing you with so many Blessings, you can never count ALLAH's Blessings and favours on you, then why do you insist on only fearing and a limited concept of fearing. I fear ALLAH's disapproval because HE has been so kind on me, HE has created me, and given me countless Blessings and I pray that HE would give me Countless blessings aand Gifts in the Hereafter . You know what I fear, I fear ALLAH's disapproval and fear not loving and obeying ALLAH as wholeheartedly as I should .
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, July 24, 2005  -  7:19 AM Reply with quote
For an indepth analysis:

www.Quranicteachings.co.uk/taqwa.htm

www.Quranicteachings.co.uk
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, July 24, 2005  -  8:46 PM Reply with quote
Dear gohar,

In the beginning of my post I said, “I have mentioned what read and heard from the others” They may also be WRONG LIKE YOU otherwise their thoughts seems to be more near the logic (See blow).

QUOTE: Keeping in view of all the human's major lusts in view, we can assume that fear is the tool that can be used to keep him away from these sins but Dont u think that caring/love/commitment to God is the stronger tool, which if one uses can not only be misled but would also strive for excellence in character.

You also seem to be right but for a while have a look at the difference of the results of the LOVE and the FEAR, in the following examples.

Suppose, if you do some good deed, which one of the following options will you select, to be rewarded?

1. One door of the paradise is opened for you?

OR

2. Release from the hell fire (due to some of your previous sins)?

Now which one is stronger to make you good and make you refrain from the bad deeds to attain Taqwa. If you select not to be burned in any ditch of the hell fire, then your syllogism seems to be no more than the product of your overconfidence, flight of ideas or some occult discrepancy on your part.

By the way which one, LOVE or FEAR does man acquire more quickly and effectively to influence the outcomes of the deeds. Suppose an office opens at 8am and closes at 2pm, how many pious/caring/loving and committed people like you are there who come and leave in the time to make their monthly salary Halal. One day if they know that their salary will be deducted and their promotion will be delayed, no one surely be culprit next time. So which tool is stronger?

If you know the psychological and pathophysiological aspects of the Love and the Fear, explain on the logical grounds, not merely a syllogism, to consolidate your assertion- Love is stronger than the fear. You must know very well that we are now in 21st century and No syllogistic thoughts, by the illiterate and the ignorant ones would be entertained at all.

QUOTE: I appreciate your mistake…(gohar)

You may be right and if so, please answer the following question.

Suppose all others do not understand the real sense of the subject then what qualifications, trainings and thinking you or like you people have and from which institution and approved by which Government and furthermore which brand of the shampoo and the almond oil you and they apply on their heads to understand every thing same as God had said. I shall be obliged for this kind help.

CONCLUSION: I agree that LOVE WITH GOD in addition to the FEAR OF GOD is also the tool to attain Taqwa BUT NOT POWERFUL one than the latter.
I do not know exactly how many times God says, in Holy Quran, about the hell fire, destruction of the nations, and the arabic words like “Fa wail lullil musalleen…. (107: 4)” and in this world about cutting hands of the thief, flogging the fornicator and the fornicatress and other punishments etc….. and how many times God says, in Holy Quran, about the paradise and rewards in this world etc….. Is there any balance or any one SUPERSEDES?????? If so, what can be the wisdom of God behind His sayings to remind us REPEATEDLY with the both equal or anyone superseding??????
From the above paragraph, I mean to say, if the chastisements are mentioned more than the rewards then FEAR is more powerful, if the rewards are mentioned more than the chastisements then LOVE is more powerful, and if the chastisements and the rewards are mentioned equally then the LOVE and FEAR are equally powerful because God knows better than us while using these words (the chastisements and the rewards) to guide us to make us pious. THIS IS THE REAL DATA OF SAYINGS OF GOD NOT THOSE OF MEN, FOR DOING THE RESEARCH FOR ATTAINING TAQWA. Isn’t it?
OTHERWISE
If you disagree, explain on the logical grounds living in the 21st century, not merely the syllogistic thoughts of the illiterate and the ignorant ones, to consolidate your assertion and surely NO one will find any incompatibility.

QUOTE: Dont u think that caring/love/commitment to God is the stronger tool.

In addition to the fear of God, caring/love/commitment to God is right but if you say it the stronger, I DISAGREE with these syllogistic thoughts of yours unless, otherwise, you prove as I requested above i.e. comparison of the Love and the Fear in light of Quran or the logical approach of the 21st century not at all incompatibility with Quran.

Dear Asim2
See please the same mail, as above.
In addition, if you have an objection on “Absolute fear of God”, do not you mean by it? Absolute fear of God means, “Fear only of God”. It does not mean that you can’t add the love with God.
Wassalam with God know better!
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, July 25, 2005  -  12:43 PM Reply with quote
"Taqwa" means "to avoid" & "Taqwaof Allah" means "To Avoid from Displeasing Allah"
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, July 25, 2005  -  2:16 PM Reply with quote
copied from:
www.quranicteachings.co.uk/taqwa.htm
(I had to post someone else's research due to Loveall's posts to remove some misconceptions )

What is 'Taqwa?

Waqa [root: و ق ي ]

I waqahu وقاه to preserve ( ھsomething) [LL, HW, LQ]; to take good of ( ھsomething) [LQ, HW]; to be cautious of (something) [LL]; to safeguard, shield, shelter, preserve, protect, keep (ھ ه someone from); to guard (ھ ه someone against); to protect, offer or afford protection (ھ against); to prevent, obviate (ھ a danger) [HW]; to preserve (a thing) against any harm or injury or damage [R]

VIII ittaqa اتقى to preserve or guard oneself exceedingly or extraordinarily; to put a thing between oneself and another to preserve or guard oneself [LL]; to take as a shield [AM]

اتقى المطر to seek shelter from rain [HW]

وقى waqy protection; safeguard [HW]

وقاء waqa, wiqa protection; prevention [HW]

وقاية wiqaya(tun) a preservative [LL]

واق waaqin preserving; guarding; protecting; preventive; preservative; guardian; protector [13:34, 13:37, 40:21]

The meanings of the root wa-qaf-ya و ق ي is demonstrated in 16:81, where garments are mentioned as a means for protection from heat, and coats of armour for protection in fighting.

Protection from soo-al-azab is mentioned in 39:24

Protection from azab-al-jaheem is mentioned in 44:56, 52:18

Protection from azab-as-samoom is mentioned in 52:27

Protection from azab-an-naar is mentioned in 2:201, 3:16

Protection from evil (soo’) of the plots of people is mentioned in 40:45

Protection from evil (shar) of a stern, distressful day is mentioned in 76:11

Protection from niggardliness or being culpably and greedily desirous nafs is mentioned in 59:9, 64:16 [also see 4:128, 33:19 for niggardliness of nafs]

Protection from the possible harm from the disbelievers is mentioned in 3:28

Protection from fitna (affliction, tribulation) is mentioned in 8:25

Keeping form evil deeds is mentioned in 40:9

Guarding against the Day when all actions will encounter Absolute Justice and no person will avail another, and neither intercession, nor any compensation will be accepted. And no one will be helped (except by their own actions) [2:48, also see 2:123, 2:281]

[also see 36:45]

The verses in which the object of the verb form Ittiqa is An-naar [2:24, 3:131, 66:6]

The verses in which the object of the verb form ittiqa is Rabb (Allaha) [2:189, 2:194, 2:196, 2:203, 2:223, 2:231, 2:233, 2:278, 2:282, 3:50, 3:102, 3:123, 3:130, 3:200, 4:1, 4:9, 4:131, 5:2, 5:4, 5:7, 5:8, 5:11, 5:35, 5:57, 5:88, 5:96, 5:100, 5:108, 5:112, 6:72, 9:119, 33:70, 57:28, 58:9, 59:18, 8:29, 8:1, 11:78, 26:108, 26:110, 26:126, 26:131, 26:144, 26:150, 26:163, 26:179, 29:16, 30:31, 33:55, 43:63, 64:16, 65:10, 71:3] [3:198, 4:1, 22:1, 31:33, 39:10, 39:20, 39:73, 23:52]

Allah will protect Al-Muttaqeen from Azab-al-jaheem [44:56, 52:18][ Allah is the protector [40:7]; Al-Muttaqeen are the protected][52:27]

The phrase Ittaqoo-(A)llah cannot be rendered as ‘protect or guard yourself from Allah’, since Allah is not to be protected from but He is the Protector and the Guardian as 44:56, 52:18 indicate. The correct rendition may be as, ‘Take Allah as your Protector (or Guardian)’. Or it may be ‘Guard or protect yourself against the inevitable harmful consequences of violating Allah’s Commands (by carefully complying with His Guidance)’ .

Taqwa or the protection (from the harmful consequences of violating Allah’s Commands) may be achieved by:

Following the Right Guidance (i.e. the Guidance given in the Quran) [47:17, 39:28]

Following Sirat-e-Mutaqeem, as elucidated in the Quran [6:153]

Rendering Ibada to Allah (i.e. compliance with the Commands of Allah in all walks of life) [2:21]

[Also see, 2:63, 2:179, 2:183, 2:187, 2:237, 5:8, 6:51, 6:69, 7:164, 7:171]

The phrase Ittaqoo-(A)llah may also be rendered as:

‘Take Allah as a Protector (or Guardian) against the harms of this life and the hereafter [such harms as are mentioned in 39:24, 44:56, 52:18, 52:27, 2:201, 3:16, 40:45, 76:11, 59:9, 64:16, 3:28, 8:25, 2:48, 2:123, 2:281, 2:24, 3:131, 66:6] by complying with His Guidance with full care and attention [because the compliance results in taqwa (2:21, 47:17, 39:28, 6:153)]’

Or in short:

‘Take Allah as your Guardian against the harms of this life and the hereafter by complying with His Guidance with full care and attention’

The phrase Ittaqoo-(A)llah is better NOT rendered as ‘fear Allah’, since, ittiqa does not mean ‘fear’.

In 19:85-86, the word Al-Muttaqeen has been used in contrast to Al-Mujrimeen. So Al-Muttaqeen are never Al-Mujrimeen (i.e. the criminals or, more specifically, the exploiters or those who wrongfully devour the fruits of other’s labour). The word Al-mujrimeen has also been used vs. Al-Muslimeen (i.e. those who submit to the Commands of Allah) [68:35]. Hence, Al-Muttaqeen are those who submit to the commands of Allah.

In 19:97, the word Al-Muttaqeen has been used vs. Qauman luddan (i.e. those people who are contentious, vehemently opposed, adversaries perverted to the Truth or deaf to the Truth).

In 38:28, the word Al-Muttaqeen has been used vs. Al-Fujjar (which means here those who disintegrate or lose cohesion with Allah’s Guidance). So Al-Muttaqeen are those who do not lose cohesion but cohere or adhere to or stick to Allah’s Guidance.

In 91:8, the word taqwa has been used vs. fujoor. Fujoor here means disintegration and decay while taqwa signifies preservation (of nafs against disintegration and decay)

In 13:35, the word Al-kafireen has been used vs. those with ittiqa.

In 5:2, the word taqwa has been used vs. udwan (i.e. transgressing or exceeding beyond the Divine Limits). So taqwa is keeping within the Divine Limits.

In 26:90-91, the word Al-Muttaqeen is used vs. Al-Ghaveen [i.e. who deviate from the right way by withdrawing from the Revelations of Allah (7:175)]. So Al-Muttaqeen are those who do not withdraw but hold fast to the Revelations of Allah.

Some of the characteristics of Muttaqeen/muttaqoon mentioned in the Quran are given below:

-Those who believe in Al-ghaib, establish salat, and keep open for the welfare for others what Allah has bestowed upon them [2:3]. Those who believe in Allah’s Revelations and Al-Akhira [2:4]

-Those who keep their wealth open for mankind in favourable as well as in adverse circumstances. They divert and sublimate their anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy, and become a source of tranquillity and comfort to people. They pardon people gracefully. Those who quickly correct any wrong or indecency that has occurred from them, they remember Allah, and protect themselves from trailing behind in dignity. They refrain from wilfully persisting in error. [3:133-135]

-Those who stand in awe of their Lord even in privacy, and fear the approaching Hour of accountability [21:48-49]

-Those who are the doers of the good; who rarely fall asleep at night (without reflection); who heartily seek to be guarded against their imperfections. Those in whose wealth is the Divine Right of the requester and the deprived [51:15-19]

-Those who keep on guard and when a visitation from Shaitan comes, they become mindful [7:201]

-Those who believe in Allah and the Last Day and struggle in the way of Allah with their lives and their wealth [9:44]

-Those who give away their wealth [92:17-18]

-Those who have conviction in Allah and the Last Day and the Angels and the Book and the Prophets, and give their wealth that they loves in reverence of Him, to:

Family and relatives
Orphans
Widows
Those left helpless in the society
Those whose hard-earned income fails to meet their basic needs
Those whose running businesses have stalled
The ones who have lost their jobs
Whose life has stalled for any reason
The disabled
The needy wayfarer, son of the street, the homeless, the one who travels to you for assistance
Those who ask for help, and
Those whose necks are burdened with any kind of bondage, oppression, crushing debts and extreme hardship of labor.

(‘Yatim’, ‘Miskin’, ‘Ibnis Sabeel’, ‘Fir-Riqab’ carry all the meanings given above).

-They (the truly righteous) strive to establish the Divine System, and set up the Just Economic Order. They are true to their promises whenever they make a promise. They remain steadfast in physical or emotional distress and in times of peril.

-Those who are in the pure and desirable state when malaika come to take their lives [16:31-32]

In 2:2, 3:138 and 5:46, it has been stated that the Quran is huda(n)-lil-muttaqeen. This means that the Quran is guidance to the mode of life of those who preserve themselves from the perils [of this life and the Hereafter]. It may also be rendered as that Quran is the Guidance for those who wish to be preserved (and remain so) from the harms or perils of this life and the hereafter. As can be seen in 47:17, hidayat results in Taqwa (and NOT the vice versa). The verse 39:28 also makes clear that the purpose of the Quran is taqwa (of those who would follow it). So, the Quran is hidayat for becoming muttaqeen and also for remaining so. The similar rendition may also apply in 21:48, 24:34, 69:48. A paradisiacal life in this world and the hereafter is for those who become muttaqeen (by following Allah’s Guidance) [3:133, 19:63, 26:90, 43:35, 50:31, 68:34, ]

References:

Al-Qur'an

LL: Lane’s Lexicon by E. W. Lane

LA: Lisan-ul-Arab by Ibn-e-Manzoor

M: Mufradat fi Gharib-ul-Quran by Raghib

K: Kamoos-ul-Muheet by Muhammad bin Yaqoob Al-Feroz Abadi

LQ: Lughat-ul-Quran by G.A. Parvez

AM: Dictionary of the Quran by Abdul Mannan

HW: Hans-Wehrs dictionary of modern Arabic
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, July 27, 2005  -  12:56 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: "Taqwa" means "to avoid" & "Taqwa of Allah" means "To Avoid from Displeasing Allah"

I agree with you as well as Asim2 with all the meanings of Taqwa. I have already agreed that “Love with God” as well as well as the “Fear of God” both are the tools to attain it. BUT the discussion has taken the turn to know which one is the stronger- “Love with God” or “Fear of God” to attain Taqwa more effectively.

I mean to say, what is the NATURE of humans (in general) created by God and HOW is addressed by God to these humans, to avoid displeasing Him?? I wanted to know this wisdom of God, mentioned repeatedly in Quran.
OR
Why does God want to be pleased to keep us away from the sins or want us to do good deeds TO REMIND us repeatedly the HELL FIRE or the PARADISE? I want to know this balance (between mentioning the Hell and Paradise) of wisdom of God behind His sayings, to address us, which seems to be the casting vote.

I hope, all of you must have understood my point of view.
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, July 27, 2005  -  2:32 PM Reply with quote
First of all God is not the proper word for ALLAH. I am surprised that you use this word even after seeing what non-Muslims do to it. they say gods, godesses, godliness, godfather etc..., they define false attributes , and even beyond etc...And if we use the word God in front of a Non-Muslim the same false attributes come to his mind and if we use ALLAH we tell him using Surah Ikhlas, Ayat-Al-Kursi and other Ayaat about ALLAH. Tell me, is there any shortage of ALLAH's Attributes mentioned in the Qur'an ?. Do you have any sanction or permission in Islam to call ALLAH as God ?.

I couldn't understand your point in that confusing question, discuss one issue at a time.

Number of times is not always the only criterion.
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, July 27, 2005  -  3:33 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Dear gohar,

I DISAGREE with these syllogistic thoughts of yours unless, otherwise, you prove as I requested above i.e. comparison of the Love and the Fear in light of Quran or the logical approach of the 21st century not at all incompatibility with Quran.

I request you one thing atleast, stop this reshowing of logic n 21st century thing.....
Logic is an age old technique and nowadays kids play with it, Its been their since man has been consciouly thinking.
The new buzz word is "Creativity", critical and parallel thinking.

MOluvi sahib app hamesha aik qadam pechay hi rahengay.
Change ur perception to piece of informations you may find some light.
God help you.

I ll simply ask you again to read it.

Fear may stop you from going wrong,
and
Love inticipates you to move ahead
though better understanding of the nature of Fear and love and their results will strengthen ur belief.

Dont confuse urself with better and stronger tools, its life not mystery or magic that u would learn its tactic and ur done.
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, July 29, 2005  -  5:47 PM Reply with quote
I respect all of you, don't criticize each other, we are like brothers and sisters, belonging to 1 family i.e. Islamic family.

Surah Waqia, gives 3 categories of people in the hereafter.

2 of these are Paradise categories
only 1 is hell category.

So you can say there are 3 categories in terms of reward and punishment or 2 factors of reward based motivation and 1 factor of punishment based motivation.

1 is for outstanding reward . And for people today it is difficult but possible to achieve as only a few people from later times will make to this category, so if any one of you is interested, extra effort is required.

2 is for normal reward and a multitude of people from today can be in this category by obeying the commands of ALLAH.

3 Is for punishment and many people living today can go to hell.

1. Distinction (Nearest to ALLAH and given the greatest rewards) .

2. Passed (given lesser rewards) .

3. Failed (given severe punishment).

Also within these broader categories there are sub categories of distinction, reward or punishment.

e.g. 1 person within the distinction category is given a better paradise then the other person also in the distinction category because that person's deeds were better than the other person.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, July 30, 2005  -  1:20 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: MOluvi sahib app hamesha aik qadam pechay hi rahengay.

I am asking you about the 21st century not the logics of Moulvies you are adapting. Mind it If you are a sensible women otherwise I take the opinion of such women like you Not more than one Half.

In addition to the Fear of God, Love with God is also the tool of attaining the Taqwa which does not seems to be the stronger than the former and I DISAGREE, if someone says otherwise except if proves logically while living in the 21st century, NOT merely the syllogistic thoughts or the conjectures.

OR

If someone knows the psychological and pathophysiological aspects of the Love and the Fear keeping in view the nature of humans created by God and the way He addresses these humans, to attain the Taqwa, explain on the logical grounds, NOT merely the syllogism and No such thoughts would be entertained at all specially by those who do not want to be enlisted among those who conjecture only (6:116), (45: 24), (53: 28).

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker