Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Spooky

EGYPT
Topic initiated on Thursday, August 25, 2005  -  12:36 AM Reply with quote
Questions

Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm having a problem trying to understand the concept of Jihad in Islam and how it was applied through prophet actions. I read here before (if I remember well) that during prophetic time when people reject the messenger after truth reach the level of itmamul al hujja either they are killed By God through a flood or thunders or by the prophet depending on the political status with exception of people of the book , if this is the case why did the prophet didn't punish the meccan civilians after invading mecca?
- Why did the early Muslims take Jizyah from both Christians and people who were not Ahlu Kitab?

- In the Bible it's mentioned that Prophet Moses and some other prophets instructed their followers to Kill babies along side the people who they were fighting, is this considered acceptable in Islam or does it make different if the whole city was destroyed by flood or any other mean?

Hope my questions were clear and Thanx in advance :)
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, August 26, 2005  -  8:23 AM Reply with quote
Wa Alaikum us Salaam Dear Spooky

I wud Req. that Plz GO thru our Special ISSUE (june 2002) of our Monthly Eng. Journal. I hope it will HELP you a LOT in understanding the concept of Jihad in Islam. plz Visit the Following Link:
http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/juntitl2y2.html
Regards
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, August 27, 2005  -  9:16 PM Reply with quote
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

QUOTE (Spooky): - I'm having a problem trying to understand the concept of Jihad in Islam and how it was applied through prophet actions.

GOD SAYS: Go forth light and heavy, and strive (Jahedu) hard in Allah's way with your property and your persons; this is better for you, if you know (9: 41).

The meanings of Jihad are striving/struggling/endeavouring. So it may imply to ANY sort of striving/struggling/endeavouring on the constructive side NOT the destructive one. Mujahid means one who strives/struggles/endeavours.

So Jihad is a wide term NOT merely to fight or kill in the path of God for which the words, in Holy Quran, “Qatelu fe sabeel-i-Allah” are used, if I am right.

GOD SAYS:

· Permission (to fight) is given to those upon whom war is made because they are oppressed, and most surely Allah is well able to assist them (22: 39)

· And fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors (2: 193).

· Fighting is enjoined on you, and h is an object of dislike to you; and it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you love a thing while it is evil for you, and Allah knows, while you do not know (2: 216).

· Surely Allah loves those who fight in His way in ranks as if they were a firm and compact wall (61: 4).

· Therefore let those fight in the way of Allah, who sell this world's life for the hereafter; and whoever fights in the way of Allah, then be he slain or be he victorious, We shall grant him a mighty reward (4: 74).

· And do not speak of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead; nay, (they are) alive, but you do not perceive (2:154)

God knows the best but Holy Quran seems to permit us fighting to defend the religion and the Muslims, for the self defence and even for the protection of family and the property etc.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) kept preaching for years without any fight, enduring the severe harmful effects inflicted upon him by the polytheists (Mushrekeen). The Prophet (peace be upon him) at that time had no permission from God to fight back. The polytheists used different methods to inflict harm on him and his followers and finally they (polytheists) decided to kill the Prophet (peace be upon him) to put an end to his message assigned by God. When this critical stage reached, God gave permission to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to fight against them.

The early Muslims fought many battles against their enemies under the leadership of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) or his representatives. These fights were exclusively to defend their faith and the community.

IT MUST BE REMEMBERED THAT THE ROLE OF THE MUSLIMS WAS ONLY DEFENSIVE NOT OFFENSIVE.

GOD SAYS: And fight in the way of Allah with those who fight with you, and do not exceed the limits, surely Allah does not love those who exceed the LIMITS. And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers. But if they desist, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful (2: 190-192).

Although Holy Quran permits fighting but keeps it within the limits. There are set down certain rules, which the concerned people are required to observe them. Islam forbids fighting at the sacred places (until they fight) and against those who do not fight, empty handed, children, women, old and sick people etc.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, August 27, 2005  -  9:19 PM Reply with quote
Please see also the following link.

http://www.understanding-islam.org/related/scategory.asp?catid=18

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker