Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Sunday, September 4, 2005  -  1:32 AM Reply with quote
About the Quranic Verse - 46: 15

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

And We have enjoined on man doing of good to his parents; with trouble did his mother bear him and with trouble did she bring him forth; and the bearing of him and the weaning of him was thirty months; until when he ATTAINS HIS MATURITY AND REACHES FORTY YEARS, he says: My Lord! Grant me that I may give thanks for Thy favours which Thou hast bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may do good which pleases Thee and do good to me in respect of my offspring; surely I turn to Thee, and surely I am of those who submit (46: 15).

Do we become mature (BALAGHA- The word of Quran) at the age of forty years, or here the meanings are some else?

Thanking in anticipations!

Wassalam!
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, September 4, 2005  -  4:05 PM Reply with quote
No we do not become mature at 40 years! We become mature much earlier. Please refer to verse 4.6, where baligh age or maturity is defined as when one is intelligent enough to be married off.

And try orphans (as regards their intelligence) until they reach the age of marriage; if then you find sound judgement in them, release their property to them....

If you read arabic verse, you will see word 'baligh' is used here.

Edited by: oosman on Sunday, September 04, 2005 4:06 PM
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 5, 2005  -  12:21 AM Reply with quote
very good loveall and oosman
another contradction between 46;15 and 4;6
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 5, 2005  -  7:34 AM Reply with quote
again No Contradiction
40 yrs is the age of MAN's mental or Intellectual MATURITY while his Physical BALOOGHAT or Initial or Basic Maturity is the OTHER thing that Comes Earlier in his TEEN age.
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 5, 2005  -  9:27 AM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum,

I donot agree with you completely because I have seen some people who have reached above the age of 40 but still they lack intelligence and common sense.
Can you please explain what do you mean by saying that at the age of 40, a person becomes mentally and
intellectually mature?

Regards,

Edited by: Ibrahim on Monday, September 05, 2005 9:31 AM
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 5, 2005  -  9:35 AM Reply with quote
Exceptions Prove the LAW so it does'nt matter.

with the passage of time & with the experinces of life majorty of the people become mentally and intellectually mature & that's ALL.
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, September 5, 2005  -  3:57 PM Reply with quote
After puberty, a person is usually mature enough to get married, support a family, have a house, get a job, etc.

After 40 years approximately, a person has gathered enough experience through his life time to be wise.

The level of experience of a 40+ man and a 18+ person is what makes the 40+ man fully mature. 18+ man is mature enough, but still rash and takes risks. 40+ man is usually not taking many risks that can be stupid (like fast driving, or high risk business deals, etc.) because he has gone through all that and knows what is best, he is calculating and plans thoroughly. Whereas a 18+ man will be reckless at times and not so calculating.
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 7, 2005  -  8:12 PM Reply with quote
quote:

until when he ATTAINS HIS MATURITY AND REACHES FORTY YEARS, he says: My Lord! Grant me that I may give thanks for Thy favours which Thou hast bestowed on me and on my parents,

I think there are some other things to consider and seek, related to the mention of age.
when it says;I may give thanks for Thy favours..
My observation says that when u reach forty, its most of the time that you are in a position to look back to ur achievements, experiences, loses, failures and are able to establish opinion and many would be able to re-produce what they have learnt or gained.

..now u find the message related to the age mentioned in 4:6 ayah..

Thats what i look for...

Edited by: gohar on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:17 PM
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 10, 2005  -  9:49 PM Reply with quote
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Thanks to the all for their replies.

Exceptions seem to be there but in general as the age advances we gets more experienced by not getting our neurons increased in number or the size. It is emphasised on the experience of life which increases with the time i.e. we have more observations, face more problems and solve them. If one could not solve the problems, at least did learned how to do and can guide others in a better way. This is a general consideration.

I have used the words observations, facing the problems and solving them. If we consider them on the special aspect; those who have experience of some field, are considered as more intelligent than others regardless of their age but not more than the seniors of the same field.

Does anyone know; books are written on the basis of observations, facing the problems and solving them? I am not saying about those books, which are written by copying the various references from the other books BUT the original ones whose authors are considered as the institution of their experiences.

On the other hand inspite being experienced with life as the age advances; we decline subsequently in the sharpness of mind and memory storage etc and ultimately may develop senile dementia in later parts of our lives. This is nothing but the normal physiological ageing process. The ageing process is not an adynamic process; one who is young today surely has to become old tomorrow and pass through all the events of life.

The practical proof of decreased sharpness of mind and increased forgetfulness as the age advances is that it is difficult for an adult to learn by heart, word by word, for example whole Holy Quran while a child less than five or ten years does it very well. It is because brain of the child may be for example like the hard disc of a computer having much free space which is decreased progressively and moreover due to degeneration of some of the neurons, as the age advances.

So with the advancing age we may maintain the sharpness of mind like a child if we learn to delete the surplus or unwanted memories stored in our minds but this process is not easy one and those who are bestowed upon by God this property becomes scholars, scientists and other famous personalities. These people do not eat the foods rich in brain tonics but most of them eat very simple diet or even once a day. They protect their brains from the exogenous and endogenous stimuli, which halt the process of their mental abilities.

Our religion also guides us to delete the surplus memories stored in our brains. Study the lives of companions (Ra) of the Holy prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him). In spite of having very simple diet (dates, barely etc), their intelligence, memories, concentration, and decisions making were excellent. Combination of intelligence, memories, concentration, and decisions making is called intellectual functions, higher mental functions or the cognitive functions.

Furthermore, intelligence in general has the different components and are not all same in all the individuals. Five special senses; Touch, Taste, Smell, Vision and Hearing are the tools, which help to formulate the intelligence. Does anyone know; some components in some animals are even stronger than humans while they loose in the other ones balancing the aggregate? Similarly if someone looses marks in one subject may over-compensate in the other ones, etc. So the possibility of under-estimation or over-estimation can’t be excluded if we assess merely on the basis of isolated individual criterion and that even we do not know.

I do not know explanation of the verse 46: 15, God knows better but the EXPERIENCE OF LIFE, in general, I think, may be the possible explanation, which HAS NO ALTERNATE.
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, September 11, 2005  -  6:19 PM Reply with quote
quote:

No we do not become mature at 40 years! We become mature much earlier. Please refer to verse 4.6, where baligh age or maturity is defined as when one is intelligent enough to be married off.

And try orphans (as regards their intelligence) until they reach the age of marriage; if then you find sound judgement in them, release their property to them....

If you read arabic verse, you will see word 'baligh' is used here.

Edited by: oosman on Sunday, September 04, 2005 4:06 PM

dear oosman, Though I dont want to go with this clearfying contradictions but i think ur post just made a confusion in here, so few things abt it.

1. word balagh means to reach, to attain, to ripen, to grow.
2.In ayah 4:6, it says as balagh-un-nikhah ------ means to attain the age of nikah.
3.ayah 46:15 says, balagha ashaddo --- means to attain the age of strength.
4. The same ayah 46:15 then too says balagha arbaAAeena sanatan --- means attains forty years.

Now in the ayah 46:15 it says "when he reaches his strength and when he becomes forty"..., therefore there are two conditions described to fulfill before a man establishes the said opinion.

I wont establish my opinion in here as I m not forty neither have i attained of full strength but
i think its very shallow to take the only consideration in here that 40 is the age of maturness.
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, September 11, 2005  -  7:37 PM Reply with quote
You are correct.

Edited by: oosman on Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:37 PM
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, September 13, 2005  -  11:39 PM Reply with quote
So far, we have reached the agreement on “The TWO criteria - STRENGTH and the AGE OF FORTY”. In the God’s opinion (the verse 46: 15) the two are essential and ANY ONE of the two NEVER fulfils the requirement. So, age does the short listing followed by the strength.

Only God knows the best!

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker