Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Abinzain

SAUDI ARABIA
Topic initiated on Friday, September 9, 2005  -  8:50 PM Reply with quote
MUSIC IS HARA’M

MUSIC IS HARA’M,

Music being present those times but still not used by the prophet sa and the companions in whole of their lives is the strongest evidence of it being hara’m.
Some hadees are only time specific due to some reasons otherwise a single example of usage of music by the by the prophet sa and the companions may be sufficient.
IF any body says about the Quranic reference, prophet sa is the reference [33: 21], if you believe in qura’n.
SO MUSIC IS HARA’M

OTHER EVIDENCE OF PROHIBITION IN THE QUR’AAN AND SUNNAH:

Allaah says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning):
“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The interpretation of the Sahaabah and Taabi’in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient. This was reported with saheeh isnaads from Ibn ‘Abbaas and Ibn Mas’ood. Abu’l-Sahbaa’ said: I asked Ibn Mas’ood about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqmaan 31:6]. He said: By Allaah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing – and he repeated it three times. It was also reported with a saheeh isnaad from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that this means singing. There is no contradiction between the interpretation of “idle talk” as meaning singing and the interpretation of it as meaning stories of the Persians and their kings, and the kings of the Romans, and so on, such as al-Nadr ibn al-Haarith used to tell to the people of Makkah to distract them from the Qur’aan. Both of them are idle talk. Hence Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Idle talk” is falsehood and singing. Some of the Sahaabah said one and some said the other, and some said both. Singing is worse and more harmful than stories of kings, because it leads to zinaa and makes hypocrisy grow (in the heart); it is the trap of the Shaytaan, and it clouds the mind. The way in which it blocks people from the Qur’aan is worse than the way in which other kinds of false talk block them, because people are naturally inclined towards it and tend to want to listen to it. The aayaat condemn replacing the Qur’aan with idle talk in order to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge and taking it as a joke, because when an aayah of the Qur’aan is recited to such a person, he turns his back as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in his ear. If he hears anything of it, he makes fun of it. All of this happens only in the case of the people who are most stubbornly kaafirs and if some of it happens to singers and those who listen to them, they both have a share of this blame. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/258-259).
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“[Allaah said to Iblees:] And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience)…” [al-Israa’ 17:64]

It was narrated that Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice” – his voice [the voice of Iblees/Shaytaan] is singing and falsehood. Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This idaafah [possessive or genitive construction, i.e., your voice] serves to make the meaning specific, as with the phrases [translated as] “your cavalry” and “your infantry” [later in the same aayah]. Everyone who speaks in any way that is not obedient to Allaah, everyone who blows into a flute or other woodwind instrument, or who plays any haraam kind of drum, this is the voice of the Shaytaan. Everyone who walks to commit some act of disobedience towards Allaah is part of his [the Shaytaan’s] infantry, and anyone who rides to commit sin is part of his cavalry. This is the view of the Salaf, as Ibn ‘Abi Haatim narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas: his infantry is everyone who walks to disobey Allaah. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Do you then wonder at this recitation (the Qur’aan)?
And you laugh at it and weep not,
Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”
[al-Najm 53:59-61]

‘Ikrimah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that al-sumood [verbal noun from saamidoon, translated here as “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”] means “singing”, in the dialect of Himyar; it might be said “Ismidi lanaa” [‘sing for us’ – from the same root as saamidoon/sumood] meaning “ghaniy” [sing]. And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): When they [the kuffaar] heard the Qur’aan, they would sing, then this aayah was revealed.

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning) “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)” – Sufyaan al-Thawri said, narrating from his father from Ibn ‘Abbaas: (this means) singing. This is Yemeni (dialect): ismad lana means ghan lana [sing to us]. This was also the view of ‘Ikrimah. (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

It was reported from Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not sell singing slave women, do not buy them and do not teach them. There is nothing good in this trade, and their price is haraam. Concerning such things as this the aayah was revealed (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…’ [Luqmaan 31:6].” (Hasan hadeeth)

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence and stated that it is mu’allaq and majzoom. He said: Chapter on what was narrated concerning those who permit alcohol and call it by another name.

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=5000&dgn=4

MUSIC IS HARAAM

References within the context of the Holy Qur`aan along with the Hadith of the Prophet confirm that music is haraam.

Interpreters of the Qur`aan have defined the term `lahwal hadith` which is mentioned in the Qur`aan as:

1) Singing and listening to songs.
2) Purchasing of male and female singers.
3) Purchase of instruments of fun and amusement.

When Sayyidana Abdullah Ibne Mas`ood , a very close companion of our Prophetwas asked about the meaning of the term `lahwal hadith`, he replied
“I swear by Him besides whom there is no other God,that it refers to ghina(singing ).”
This statement, he repeated three times. This view is unanimously supported by the four Khalifas, the eminent Sahabaah, Tabi`een, the four Imaams and other reliable Islaamic scholars and authorities.

One hadith from the Bukhari Shareef, the most authentic Book of Hadith, further confirms unlawfulness of music and singing :

`There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma`aazif ( musical instruments ).`

Detailed analysis of the arabic word `ma`aazif ` shows that it refers to musical instruments, the sounds of those musical instruments and singing with the accompaniment of instruments.

Closer analysis of the wordings of the Hadith establishes the prohibition of music. Firstly, the words `seek to make lawful ` shows that music is not permissible, as logically one can only seek to make lawful that which is not allowed. Secondly, if music was not prohibited, then it would not have been brought within the same context as fornication and wine-drinking.

Hadith narrated by Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Mas'ood (R.A.) when he inquired from Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam) about the Signs of Qiyamah. And one of the sign is :

-\"Music and musical instruments will be found in every home\"

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 69, hadith #494v

Narrated Abu 'Amir (raa) or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari (raa) claimed that he heard the Prophet (SAW) saying,

"From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments [ma'aazif] as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

http://www.muslimkids.8m.net/musicinislam.html
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, September 10, 2005  -  3:03 AM Reply with quote
Tell us dear fundamentalist, is singing hamd, naat, and other forms of glorification of Allah subhana-o-taala also haram? By your logic every singing is haram!
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 10, 2005  -  10:00 AM Reply with quote
I don't think if reciting (without musical instruments which used these days) hamd, naat.and other forms of glorification of Allah are haraam.

I think prohibition is for those musical instruments like Guitar, Key board, etc and songs which people used to listen these days on T.V, Radio, cassettes, cds.dvds.Songs of singers (Local, regional and international fame.) Audio and Video.
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, September 10, 2005  -  3:20 PM Reply with quote
This person 'Abinzain' has declared all kinds of music and singing haram without knowing what music and singing can mean. What ignorance!

The best of kalaam is the Quran majeed, and many of its verses are so poetic, rhyming and beautiful, the recitation is so lovely that you can sing them. If Allah subhana-o-taala can do beautiful poetry, then who are we to declare poetry haram!

The prophet on several occassions did not ban musical instruments or singing as we know from some hadith. I have already shown one before about Aisha (r.t.a.) watching the black dancers. It is not an exception like someone quoted. There are other cases:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 336:

Narrated Ar-Rubai bint Muauwidh:

The Prophet came to me after consuming his marriage with me and sat down on my bed as you (the sub-narrator) are sitting now, and small girls were beating the tambourine and singing in lamentation of my father who had been killed on the day of the battle of Badr. Then one of the girls said, "There is a Prophet amongst us who knows what will happen tomorrow." The Prophet said (to her)," Do not say this, but go on saying what you have spoken before."

He did not ban the playing of tambourine! He could have ordered it, but he did not.

Here is another one:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 229:

Narrated Anas:

The Prophet was on a journey and a slave named Anjasha was chanting (singing) for the camels to let them go fast (while driving). The Prophet said, "O Anjasha, drive slowly (the camels) with the glass vessels!" Abu Qilaba said, "By the glass vessels' he meant the women (riding the camels)."

Again the prophet did not rebuke the singer or stop him from singing. Today the equivalent is people listen to radio or tape when driving on long journey. Same thing the Arabs did when going on long camel rides, one of them would sing or chant tunes. In this hadith, the prophet did not ban this action!

How dare we declare it haram?

Dear Abinzain, please only Allah and rasool may declare somehting haram - it is a big sin to declare something haram that Allah and rasool allowed. Do not take this big sin upon yourself.

The verse from Sura Luqman you keep quoting says nothing about music or singing. It talks about vain talk. True some kinds of music and singing is in that category, but not all, and you cannot declare it all as haram. Also there are other interpreations of the verse:

YUSUFALI: But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.
PICKTHAL: And of mankind is he who payeth for mere pastime of discourse, that he may mislead from Allah's way without knowledge, and maketh it the butt of mockery. For such there is a shameful doom.
SHAKIR: And of men is he who takes instead frivolous discourse to lead astray from Allah's path without knowledge, and to take it for a mockery; these shall have an abasing chastisement.

None of these three famous translators interpret idle talk as music or singing explicitly. What is the matter with you then?

Music and singing was a common thing in those times. If it is haram, then Allah would have clearly said so in a verse, and not alluded to it indirectly in a confusing manner by calling it vain talk or something different.

Conclusion is some music and singing is bad, and some is good. Good one can be glorificaion of Allah, reciting Allah's names, singing Allah's verses, using His creation to indirectly glorify Allah, use allegories to instil valor in Muslim youth and armies to fight enemy. You cannot declare it haram, you have no authority to do so, only Allah and rasool have authority and they did not declare this haram.

Keep an open mind, and study Islam. Dont be hard headed and narrow minded. Islam wants you to adop the middle way.

2.143 Thus We have appointed you a middle nation, that ye may be witnesses against mankind, and that the messenger may be a witness against you.

What is the middle way, it is when you are not very strick, and not very leninent. The Jews are strick in their ways, the Christians are very lenient. The Muslims are the middle nation.

Assalam o alaikum.
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 10, 2005  -  3:53 PM Reply with quote
What is this Oosman
you said
quote:

Tell us dear fundamentalist

Just discuss music and don't get personal.

to All ,

For better discussion quote evidence i.e.
use Ayaat from the Qur'an and pay special focus to words like laghw and try to discuss them in depth using their root . Also note the context as this life is a trial and every second is our greatest asset so it should be spent wisely and not wasted.
Then quote Ahadith but use authentic Hadith and try to prove the strength of the Hadith you quote.
Then you can discuss using Sunnah.
You can also quote logical evidences like I can say , music can waste time.

I am busy these days and don't want any discussion.

But just to mention my opinion
I recommend not to listen to music using logical points like time wastage, psycological effects etc...

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker