Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
latequeen

INDIA
Topic initiated on Thursday, September 25, 2003  -  10:05 AM Reply with quote
Bathing

I have heard that it is nor haram to bathe nude but should be avoided. Can anyone brief me on this?

Web search
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 26, 2003  -  5:53 AM Reply with quote
According to my limited knowledge there is nothing in Islam that stops us from bathing nude. If however you could cite the source of this idea and some supporting evidence it would help to investigate the matter. And it might give us a more innovative way of bathing.
latequeen

INDIA
Posted - Friday, September 26, 2003  -  9:41 AM Reply with quote
I haven't read it anywhere myself. But what I have heard is, death may come to us anytime, day or night, awake or asleep, excetra. So as to what i heard-it is always better to avoid total nudity whenever and wherever possible. Bathing is a time most likely for this, so wanted to clear the doubt.

Jazakallah for the reply.
ihsan

USA
Posted - Wednesday, October 1, 2003  -  8:18 PM Reply with quote
Even from a logical standpoint, the reason seems to be absurd. A Muslim, when he/she dies, has to be washed completely before the burial. This requires that one would be exposed.

Al-Mawrid Course
latequeen

INDIA
Posted - Friday, October 3, 2003  -  9:50 AM Reply with quote
It is NOT ABSURD. Yeah when one is dead, he/she, have to be exposed. And that too, only maharams can bathe them, not others. If there was NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH and covering and dressing and other things for a live person and a dead person, then if you are going to be exposed when dead, then whats wrong in exposing yourself even now?? THATS HOW UR REPLY SOUNDS..SORRY if i have offended. We come here to gain knowledge, not to CRITISIZE anyone.. Maybe Allah show us the right path..Allah Hafiz

Web search
ayesha

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 3, 2003  -  3:15 PM Reply with quote
Salaam latequeen

I think Ihsan is not calling you absurd or criticizing you; he is only trying to bring forth the incongruity of the thing you have heard. We get to hear a lot of things that may raise questions in our minds and there is nothing absurd about trying to clarify them. Needless to say some unfounded ideas also raise questions.

What I have been able to make out of Ihsan's post is that when one dies, he/she has to be bathed nude by 'others' so there is no reason why bathing nude 'by yourself' should be avoided for the fear of death betaking you in the process.

From a rational perspective, the thing you have heard indeed seems inconsistent. Had we been given an express directive about avoiding bathing nude, we would have believed otherwise.

May I please repeat this is not to criticize but only to present my viewpoint.

Edited by - ayesha on October 03 2003 15:18:50
latequeen

INDIA
Posted - Friday, October 3, 2003  -  3:19 PM Reply with quote
Wa alaikumusalam Ayesha..

I get it. But i was only trying to clear my doubts. Thanks
Allah Hafiz
Amatullahi

USA
Posted - Saturday, October 4, 2003  -  2:30 AM Reply with quote
Assalamu Alaikum,

Where i come from the dead are washed all covered up, no part of the dead person's body is exposed only the head. The person performing the bath uses a cloth to cover his hands so like there is no direct contact with the dead person's body. This is what we've been taught in our Islamiyyas and what i've seen happening.
I once read somewhere that Sayyidina Uthman bn Affan, the third caliph of Islam bathes covered and that he is a very shy person. maybe some people copy him?
Also according to some of our scholars the bathroom is one of the many abodes of the Jinns and so a person should avoid bathing nude or if not then keep mute until they finish their bath.

maybe if somebody could educate us all on this issue?

Yahoogroup
Ronnie

USA
Posted - Saturday, October 4, 2003  -  10:03 AM Reply with quote
Salam All,

My comment is not with the intent to ridicule anyone. I hope that we can put aside our sensitivities and communicate maturely. With that I'll proceed with my comment.

Wearing clothes while bathing is contrary to the very spirit of cleanliness. It the antithesis to the concept of sanitary conditions. It doesn't matter who did this, it is completely disharmonious with Islamic teachings. First, because it's absolutely illogical, it's impractical and unreasonable. Second, because it goes against the very fiber of Islamic purification rites. Third, (I don't know if this counts) but it simply does not make sense.

A dead body is not the same as a living one. It's all too clear and obvious what the reasons are, not to mention the condition, look, feel and smell of a corpse.

Lastly, at some point a person needs to use the bathroom and as a requiste of nature must expose themselves. I don't see what nudity, sound or any of that stuff has anything to do with one another.

No offense.

Regards

Edited by - ronnie on October 04 2003 10:14:35
Amatullahi

USA
Posted - Sunday, October 5, 2003  -  1:04 AM Reply with quote
Salaam,

I think the point here is about covering the most intimate area. If a person wants to bathe with a pant i don't think there is anything wrong with that. Just my opinion.

I was just saying what i've either seen, read or heard.We are always learning and may Allah keep us on the right path by knowing what is good and keeping to it and knowing what is wrong to avoid it.

Yahoogroup
ayesha

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 5, 2003  -  2:14 PM Reply with quote
My question is: Why do we need to do/avoid something without any kind of a supportive evidence?

I would be ready to redefine my view if presented with a convincing argument backed by Quran and the Sunnah.
Amatullahi

USA
Posted - Sunday, October 5, 2003  -  9:35 PM Reply with quote
I agree with you sister and i don't think there is a dalil from the Qur'an, maybe the Hadith.

Yahoogroup
latequeen

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, October 7, 2003  -  9:16 AM Reply with quote
Assalamu Alaikum Everyone. Guess this will give an answer to all of our doubts and questions..

Fiqh-us-Sunnah.
Book 3. Ghusl, The Complete Ablution.

Volume 001 : Purification and Prayer. Fiqh 1.060.

It is not allowed to bathe in the nude in front of people. It is
forbidden to uncover one's private parts. If you cover it with
some clothes, it is permissible. The Messenger of Allah would
cover Fatimah with a curtain when she performed ghusl. If one
performs ghusl in the nude, far away from the people, it is not
prohibited. The prophets Musa (Moses) and Ayyub (Job) did so, as
al-Bukhari, Ahmad, and an-Nasa'i recorded.

Allah Hafiz

Web search
Ronnie

USA
Posted - Tuesday, October 7, 2003  -  9:31 AM Reply with quote
Salam All,

I guess that clarifies it. Someone heard the hadith, it must've not registered correctly and that's why this whole thing came up.

Wa'salam
xxbasxx

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, February 13, 2004  -  1:58 AM Reply with quote
WUT????
u cn bathe ne way u wnt!!!
DUR!!!!
as ronnie sed: nt 2 atract ne body.
sowi im trying 2 b mature but... lol
XxBasmahxX
ihsan

USA
Posted - Friday, February 13, 2004  -  10:15 PM Reply with quote
It is not allowed to bathe nude in front of people was not the issue from my understanding. The issue is whether one can bathe nude or not when nobody is looking, and circumstances are such today where one has his own bathtub and doors to lock.

Al-Mawrid Course

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker