Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
nads786

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Saturday, January 7, 2006  -  9:43 PM Reply with quote
the liberation of women in the 21st century

salaams all

i was wondering what do you all think about the way islam has converged into more of a cultural dependent religion these days as a muslim i understand that islam is a way of life . and that its not just a diffrent religion in diffrent countries but these days i have noticed that in england women are more liberated in the sense of education islam does make it compulsory on every capable man and woman to pick up the pen and gain knowledge but then if we go to the middle east areas of the world place like saudia arabia confine women to a limited role and man dependent as daughter mother and wife now am not sayingall arabs are like this but the majority are and its not just arabia , but pakistan ,india most middle east areas

what do you think should this be allowed ? should culture be called islam?

plzz dont take any offence to it i just want to know your views

Nadia
Zulfee

USA
Posted - Monday, January 9, 2006  -  8:09 PM Reply with quote
I agree with you
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, January 10, 2006  -  2:48 PM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum,

I agree with you nad to some extent but not completely.

In England,women seem more liberated then the women in Muslim Countries but that liberation is out of control.
Their are some positive and negative aspects about a muslim women living in England but when it comes to comparing Saudia Arabia with England or any other Country of the West, it is just like comparing a village with a cosmopolitan or modern city. I hope you are geting my point.

Their are villages and cities in every country of the world whether it is a modern ,backward or poor Country but in which ever country you go, you will see a difference.

Take the example of any Muslim Country ,you will find Islam in both cities and villages but when comparing the level or kind of Islam present in Cities and Villages with each other ,you will definitely see great difference. In Cities their is more flexibility then in Villages.

Now when it comes to comparing England(the most liberated Country) with Saudia Arabia(the most strict country),you might see some a huge difference and some muslims might say that England seems more flexible towards women than Saudia Arabia which imposes strictness on the women but the kind of flexibility and freedom England has given to women is something out of control and not in the teachings of modesty.
In England, women are free to do what ever they want, they can acquire any kind of education, they can work anywhere in what ever field they like, they can hang around with their boyfriends inspite of having husband.
And their is one important thing which should be kept in mind, when a women walks on the street in England or West, the strangers and unwanted people will tease or might disturb her but that is not the case in Saudia Arabia, the women is already covered in Hijab that no body gives much attention to her.

Their are certain laws in Saudia that are not clearly established in Qur'an and authentic sources of Islam.
Like women donot have right to drive car in Saudia.
Now neither Qur'an nor any authentic hadith prohibits women from riding any vehicle like horse or camel. If you read the history you will come to know that during the Caliphate of Ali(ra), Hazrat Aisha(Ra) use to ride camel and nobody including Hazrat Ali(ra) raised any objection to it.

As far as England is concerned, inspite of being a non-muslim country their are certain laws and rules in England that are in accordance with the teachings of Islam ,like pension system. Pension is given to old aged people by the Government who can no longer work in England and this pension was introduced by Hazrat Umar(ra) during his Caliphate.
Also the simplicity that British have adopted in their life is also a feature of Islam.Islam wants us to be simple.

I hope you agree with me.

Regards,
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, January 10, 2006  -  2:57 PM Reply with quote

Continue....

As far as Islam is concerned, it is not exactly cultural religious but you can say that it is bound to Islamic Culture or you can say that Islam has its own culture and within that culture,Islam wants us to gain knowledge and make progress.
Their are certain Countries that have their own traditions and culture and if those Countries are Muslim, then what happens is that the tradition or culture of that Country merges with the culture of Islam ending up in a mixture of Islamic and State Culture.

The issue that I roused above,that in Saudia Arab, muslim women are not allowed to drive car or any vehicle can be a part of the Law or Ordinance of Saudia Arab Government but it is not a part of Islamic Law(Shariah).

Just as in Afghanistan during Taliban rule, women were not allowed to travel alone and even I have heard that small girls were not allowed to acquire education, well this can be a part of their Afghani Law produced from their narrow minded Government but it cannot be a part of Islamic Law(Shariah).

I hope you are geting my point.
oosman

USA
Posted - Wednesday, January 11, 2006  -  5:24 PM Reply with quote
So how do you tell if something is part of culture and not shariah? Obviously the taliban thought preventing girls from going to school is part of shariah, and the mullahs in saudia think preventing women from driving is part of shariah. So how do you convince them when they do not listen to anyone?
Rakhtal

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, January 11, 2006  -  7:19 PM Reply with quote
Quote: In England, women are free to do what ever they want………….. they can hang around with their boyfriends inspite of having husband.

A modern muslim woman wants to Islamise, by hook or crook, all such shameful deeds but they do not know that the men like only what they expect from the women not their lamb opinions and the proposals.

Quote: Obviously the taliban thought preventing girls from going to school is part of shariah, and the mullahs in saudia think preventing women from driving is part of shariah.

What is the proof that Taliban and the Saudi consider their rules as the parts of the Shariah? Similarly do the westerns countries consider every sort of the liberation to the men and the women like “No harm if sex is with consent of the two” as the part of their religion?
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Monday, February 27, 2006  -  10:32 AM Reply with quote
what is the meaning of liberation?Does this mean free to do anything?
Even animals follow some guidelines to live there life(say basic instinct).A lion doesnt eat grass and dont have partners outside of their species.
In the same way human beings have certain do's and donts to carry a normal life.
bnislam2000

NIGERIA
Posted - Monday, February 27, 2006  -  2:43 PM Reply with quote
WHAT IS LIBRATION people fail to understand the true meaning of libration.do u consider what the west is presently comitting as a proof for women liberation.the west have place women to the low of the low.they have successfully lower woman to an icon of abuse ,using her as a commercial tool.this remind me of an episode where a woman was interview in one of the muslim state .the interviewer was telling her why is not engaged in field like police .she reply that islam has done her favor by asking men to fetch and carry for her.my fellow women folk lets hide under islam to get protected from the west genocide against our personality
bnislam2000

NIGERIA
Posted - Monday, February 27, 2006  -  2:47 PM Reply with quote
raushan iam higly impress by ur coment pls if u dont mind thi is my e mail bnislam2000@yahoo.com.
uhibbukafillah
bnislam2000

NIGERIA
Posted - Monday, February 27, 2006  -  2:49 PM Reply with quote
pls i will like us to cross breed ideas.may i know ur email raushan
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, March 4, 2006  -  7:19 AM Reply with quote
quote:

pls i will like us to cross breed ideas.may i know ur email raushan

assalam alaikum,
my e mail id is ishtyak466@yahoo.com
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, June 5, 2006  -  12:27 PM Reply with quote
Quote: In England, women are free to do what ever they want………….. they can hang around with their boyfriends inspite of having husband.

DONT YOU THINK YOU ARE GENRALISING HERE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE WETERN WOMEN OR ARE YOU STATEING THIS ABOUT MUSLIM FEMALES PLEASE ELABORATE SO I MAY CONTINUE THIS DISCUSSION WITH YOU IF YOU ARE REFFERING TO MUSLIMAHS THEN YOU COULDNT BE SO WRONG, PLEASE REPLY SOON AS THIS IS REALLY BUGGING ME
moomimat

USA
Posted - Saturday, July 8, 2006  -  7:23 PM Reply with quote
ASSALAMU ALAIKUM, THE BLESSINGS OF ALLAH SUBHANA WA TALLAH SHINE UP ON ALL OF US.
Dear nads: your last quote, can culture be call Islam? It is a good questions that a lot of people ask. Have you notice how many of the Middle Eastern countries use culture as a way to opress women and minorities. Like you mention we have read to aquire knowledge in order to answer this question correctly. Before I came to Islam, I thought all the horror stories told to me were all base in Islam. I started studying and understood the separation of religion and culture. Still today many of my brothers and sister join both together, sending the wrong message to many that want to understand Islam. We have to be careful when we teach someone and able to find proof every time we give information to the next person.
Women in the middle east might no be able to vote, or drive yet, I assure you that women are getting their education and are trying their best to show "hayaa" and at the same time they are part of society in great numbers.
Not only in the middle east but also in Pakistan and India.
Remember we have to make sure men see that what we are doing is correct and our homes will not suffer. That we are able to do so without putting a burden in our life, house hold and religious duty.
I don't know much but insha allah some one will answer me.
I am open to learning more and keeping it the way Islam is suppose to be
sister Khadijah

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker