Walikum Salam

It is authentically reported that Allaah's Messenger said,"Stick to my
Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs after me, cling to that
with your molar teeth and beware of new matters, for every innovation is
misguidance." Reported by Ahmad, Abu Daawood (Eng. trans. 3/1294/no.4590),
at-Tirmidhee (no. 2676), Ibn Maajah (no. 42), ad-Daarimee (no. 96) and Ibn
Abee 'Aasim in as-Sunnah (no. 54). Shaikh al-Albaanee declares, "Its isnaad
is saheeh, its narrators reliable."

Quote:-This hadith is very strange, are you sure it is authentic? How could the prophet say this about the rightly guided caliphs, because he did not assign anyone to be the leader after him!

Reply:-Ummah is convinced regarding these Four being the rightious Caliphs of Prophet (pbuh)

Quote:-Also if you talk with the Shia Muslims, you will fall into dispute regarding this hadith as they do not regard these 4 caliphs to be the rightly guided ones.

Reply:-My God given wisdom told me that no need to look at them in any matter of religion.We have left very little time in this world.Don't waste it.
oosman

USA
Posted - Friday, April 14, 2006  -  1:39 AM Reply with quote
Would you consider the Shia as deviant from the true path? Why do you think it is waste of time to take any input from them. They have their sources of knowledge (besides the holy Quran), and we (sunnis) have our sources. How do we know our hadith is reliable and authentic and their hadith is false? They say ours is false, now how can we decide, especially if we do not budge from our belief that our side is the absolute truth? Also what do you consdier the ummah - all muslims, or just majority suni sects. I hope I didn't offend you, that is not my intention, I am just curious what your thinking is.

Salaam..
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, April 14, 2006  -  8:12 AM Reply with quote
As-Salaamu Alaikum Usmani790.

Quote: It is authentically reported that Allaah's Messenger said, "Stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs after me, cling to that with your molar teeth and beware of new matters, for every innovation is misguidance."

Quote: According to Prophet (pbuh) sayings, follow my Sunnah and Sunnah of my rightly guided Caliph.Abu Bkr (RA), Umer (RA), Usman (RA), Ali (RA) are the rightly guided Caliphs of Prophet (pbuh). All the innovations you have mentioned belongs to these four Caliphs. Other than these four no one can introduce any innovation in the religion.

Both the statements seem very contradictory to one another. In your statement you are condoning innovations by the four caliphs and in your mentioned hadith, prophet [pbuh] is condemning any innovation apart from what he himself introduced i.e Only Sunnah.

This is very strange when you say that only the four caliphs had the right to introduce any innovation? Can you ellaborate more!
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, April 15, 2006  -  7:27 AM Reply with quote
Dear Oosman,

Quote: -Would you consider the Shia as deviant from the true path? Why do you think it is waste of time to take any input from them.

Reply: - I am not sure if they deviant from the true path. What is very visible is that Shia has different interpretations in almost all area of religion. The basic five pillars,their views about Sahaba and so on. Why I asked it will be waste of time because after knowing these differences among us and since you and me are still learning the basics of Sunni Islam.So it would be not advisable to open a new subject until one clearly understood his own medhab.

Quote: -Also what do you consider the ummah - all Muslims, or just majority suni sects. I hope I didn't offend you, that is not my intention, I am just curious what your thinking is.

Reply:-I consider Shia are part of ummah even though Sunni and Shia have different believes and views in many aspect of Islam.

and Allah knows the best

Allah Hafiz
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, April 15, 2006  -  12:00 PM Reply with quote
Walaikum Salam Brother Nauman

Quote: -Both the statements seem very contradictory to one another. In your statement you are condoning innovations by the four caliphs and in your mentioned hadith, prophet [pbuh] is condemning any innovation apart from what he himself introduced i.e Only Sunnah.

Reply:-In this Hadith we are told to follow the Sunnah of Rightly guided Caliphs as well. So if new matters, which will introduce after these four Caliphs,only be then would be called innovation in the religion. When you would look at the history, you will find that they did not introduce a lots of innovations,only few things they added, most of them already mentioned by brother oosman.

Quote-This is very strange when you say that only the four caliphs had the right to introduce any innovation? Can you ellaborate more!

Reply: -Why its strange brother, did you not seen the words of Prophet (every innovation is misguidance) in the hadith? Even in some hadith it is said that innovation is hellfire.

Now logically if you will see that why it was said by Prophet (pbuh). Our Prophet (pbuh) is last and final Prophet.Teaching of Islam through Quran and Sunnah are explained in very very details. Allah has made it sure that they will remain intact and save. If you will try to find the teachings of earlier Prophets (peace be upon them to all) they are not in their original foam. Even the teaching of Jesus (pbuh) and Moses are not intact. Further more all the Prophets (peace is upon them to all) before our Prophet (pbuh) were came for particular nation and for a particular area of land. But our Prophet came for the entire world and for every human being till the last day.

If the innovation will remain allowed for every one also, so Madahb will change quickly.I have find some thing interesting have look please.

SAHآBAH ATTITUDE TOWARDS INNOVATIONS

An outstanding characteristic of the Sahâbah is their absolute Adherence to the Sunnah of the Prophet, Muhammad and their absolute disapproval of BID'AH (Innovation) Some Sahâbah narrated the following.

Amr ibn salmah said: We used to sit in front of Abdullah Ibn Masoud's house before the Fajr prayer, so that when he came out we would go with him to the Masjid.

{one day} Abu Moosa al-Ash'aaree came and asked us: 'Did Abu Abdur Rahmaan (i.e. Ibn Masoud) leave yet? '

We answered: 'No.'

So Abu Moosa al-Ash'aaree sat with us waiting for him. When he came out, we all stood up.

Abu Moosa told him: "Oh, Abu Abdur Rahmaan! I recently saw something in the Masjid which I deemed to be evil, but all praise is for Allah, I did see anything except good "

Ibn Masoud then asked: "then What was it?"

Abu Moosa said: "You will see it if you stay alive. In the Masjid, I saw a group of people sitting in circles waiting for the Salââh. Each circle is led by a person. And every person in these circles carries small stones (pebbles).

The leader of a circle would say: "Say 'Allah-u Akbar' a hundred times" so they would repeat Allah-u Akbar a hundred times; then he says "Say 'Laa ilaaha illallaah', a hundred times" so they would say Laa ilaaha illallaah a hundred times; then he would say: "Say 'Subhaanallah', a hundred times", they will say Subhana Allah a hundred times.

Then Ibn Masoud said: "What did you tell them?"

He said: 'I didn't say anything, I waited to hear your opinion."

Abdullah Ibn Masoud said: "Could you not order them to count their evil deeds, and assured them of getting their rewards."

Then Abdullah Ibn Masoud went ahead and we accompanied him. As he approached one of the circles, he said: "What is this that you are doing?"

They said: "Oh! Abu Abdur Rahmaan, these are pebbles to count the number of times we say Allah-u Akbar, La ilaaha Illallah, and Subhaanallah."

He said: "Count your evil deeds, and I assure you that you are not going to lose anything of your rewards (Hasanat). Woe unto you, people of Muhammad, how quickly you go to destruction! Those are your Prophet's companions available, these are his clothes not worn out yet, and his pots are not broken yet. I swear by Whom my soul is in His Hands that you are either following a religion that is better than the Prophet's religion or you are opening a door of misguidance."

They said: "We swear by Allah Almighty, oh, Abu Abdur Rahmaan, that we had no intention other than doing good deeds."

He said: "So what? How many people wanted to do good deeds but never got to do them? The Prophet of Allah has told us about people who recited the Qur'ân with no effect on them other than the Qur'ân passing through their throats. I swear by Allah, I am almost sure that most of you are from that type of people."

Then he left them.umar Ibn Salamah (the sub narrator) said: "We saw most of the people of those circles fighting against us with the Khawaarij in the battle of An-Nahrawan."

-- Related by Ad-Daarimee and Abu Na'eim with an Authentic chain of narrations. Authenticated by saleem al-hilaalee in al-BID'AH (pp. 26-29)

This was the case with every innovation introduced in the UMMAH it began as something small, bearing resemblance to the truth which is why those who entered it were mislead and then were unable to leave it. so it grew and became the religion which they followed and thus deviated from the straight path and left Islam.

ANNOVATIONS ACCORDING TO QURAN AND SUNNAH

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

In another verse Allah clearly states that if one follows his desires, he is not on the path of Allah. The Muslim should be careful because the innovation is a double edged dagger. In this context the Prophet (pbuh) said, "Whoever calls to guidance will receive a reward for the one who follows his call with the reward of neither being reduced. And whoever calls to an act of misguidance will share part of the sin of everyone who follows his call with the sin of neither being reduce." (Recorded by Muslim).

Besides the Qur'anic verses and the ahadith of the Prophet (pbuh), there are many statements from the companions and the early scholars exhorting people to stay away from innovations. Abdullah bin Masood is quoted as saying , "Follow our steps and do not innovate and that will be sufficient for you."

Innovations are more harmful than sins. The sinner accepts the Shareeah as the supreme law while the innovator gives the supremacy and superiority to his own desires or whims. The person who performs or follows innovations believes them to be true in obedience to Allah and it is very rare that such an innovator should repent. This is why ibn Taimiyyah has stated that innovations are "more evil than adultery, theft and drinking alcohol."

Sufyaan al-Thauri once said, "Innovations are more beloved to the Satan than sins because one may repent from sins but one does not repent from innovations!"
Shaan

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, April 15, 2006  -  12:15 PM Reply with quote
Assalam-o-alaikum,

quote:

Another thing I would like to add, about the innovation in religion, not every innovation in religion is bad. For e.g. tarawih prayer is an innovation, doing the adhaan twice for juma prayer is innovation, the imam speaking on the podium for khutba is an innovation, and the list goes on. An innovation that enhances the beauty of the religion is not bad.

There is no such thing as good innovation in Islam.The things you have mentioned are not innovations rather they are extensions of sunnah and simple matters.
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, April 15, 2006  -  2:24 PM Reply with quote
THank you brother usmani790,

Regarding your comment on shia prayers, praying only 3 times - I think they do have 5 prayers, but they combine the dhur-asr and maghrib-isha prayers, so it looks like it is three. It is known that the prophet (s.a.w.) sometimes did combine certain prayers for no reason at all (no hardship or travel or bad weather). But the shia's have made this into a permanent routine rather than an exception, whereas the sunnis usually don't know of this flexibility. You may verify this, you might find different opinions regarding this.

Regarding some innovations, was the law (atleast in Pakistan) that women cannot go to funerals a recent innovation? That women may not go for prayers on Friday a recent or past innovation? The burqa would also be an innovation as the prohpet is related to have advise to show the face and hands and cover everything else, whereas the burqa covers everything, blocks view, and makes the person prone to trip and hurt herself. There are so many new innovations I see every day but they have become so ingrained in our religious culture and values.

May Allah guide us to the proper way!
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, April 15, 2006  -  7:59 PM Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply Mr. Usmani790.

Quote: If the innovation will remain allowed for every one also, so Madahb will change quickly.

When I wrote “This is very strange when you say that only the four caliphs had the right to introduce any innovation?”, I was actually referring to your statement of giving the rightly guided caliphs free hand to introduce something in our religion and NOT that everyone should have a right to do so.

Coming to the specific hadith; I do not see it the way you do. The prophet [pbuh] was actually advising his ummah, like any wise person would do to his near and dear ones, before leaving this world. It is exactly like when the prophet [pbuh] said that the next caliph should be from the Quraish; because the Quraish was in majority. It was simply a wise advice.

When the prophet [pbuh] said “Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs after me”; he was actually mentioning ANY rightly guided caliph.

I do not believe that any one has a right to introduce anything new in the religion. If we take your statement to be true; it seems that the prophet [pbuh] did not leave the religion complete for us.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 17, 2006  -  10:52 AM Reply with quote
Brother Oosman

Quote-Regarding your comment on shia prayers, praying only 3 times - I think they do have 5 prayers, but they combine the dhur-asr and maghrib-isha prayers, so it looks like it is three. It is known that the prophet (s.a.w.) sometimes did combine certain prayers for no reason at all (no hardship or travel or bad weather). But the shia's have made this into a permanent routine rather than an exception, whereas the sunnis usually don't know of this flexibility. You may verify this, you might find different opinions regarding this.

Reply:-I thinks you don’t know much about Shia Madhab.Its not only prayers, almost every thing is different. From Shadah to Haj.They only follow the hadiths of their Imams (RA) and in Sahaba(RA) they follow the hadith of Salman Farsi(RA) only. While Sunnis follows the hadiths narrated by all sahaba, (Which fulfill the condition of sahih hadith). One of their Imams may be Imam Jafer, if I am not wrong was the one of the teacher of Imam Abu Hanifh.

The discussion on Shia Madhab is very sensitive issue. I would request you here, not to continue this. To know the Sunni prospective on combine prayers, see the following.

Q.) Can you combine Zuhr with Asr and Maghrib with Isha salat while traveling? What do the different madhabs say about this? JazakAllahkhair.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.) According to the Hanafi school, it is not permitted to combine the prayers and take a prayer out of its prayer time by either delaying it or performing it before its time. The only exception they have in this, based on the narration of Abdullah ibn Mas'ud, is in Arafat (where Zuhr and 'Asr are combined) and in Muzdalifa (where Maghrib and 'Isha are combined). The remaining three schools permit combining in other circumstances too as when a person is traveling, or it is raining heavily, etc.

There are many ahadith related on this issue and have been discussed by the four schools. The Hanafis have judged all the narrations on this issue to be based on the method of "apparent combining" [Jam' al-Suri] not "real combining" [jam' al-Haqiqi]. This position is based on the fact that we are told to make every prayer on time, and there are ahadith of Ibn Mas'ud which clarify that the Prophet never combined the prayers together [by taking a prayer out of its time] except in 'Arafat and Muzdalifa during the pilgrimage.

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/0082.shtml

Quote-Regarding some innovations, was the law (atleast in Pakistan) that women cannot go to funerals a recent innovation? That women may not go for prayers on Friday a recent or past innovation? The burqa would also be an innovation as the prophet is related to have advise to show the face and hands and cover everything else, whereas the burqa covers everything, blocks view, and makes the person prone to trip and hurt herself. There are so many new innovations I see every day but they have become so ingrained in our religious culture and values.

Reply: - What are your evidences that these are innovations. Regarding the burqa I think you are wrongly interpreting the hadith. Prophet (pbuh) said that women have to cover the hole body except then he pointed out face and hands..But it not means that face and hand can not be covered. Obligatory is that the rest of the body must be covered. If some one using the burqa, I don’t find any problem in it. But burqa must be designed in such a way that she can see around easily. This is some thing of common sense only. For funeral I have find this hadith from Bukhari.

Narrated Um 'Atiyya: We were forbidden to accompany funeral processions but not strictly. (Book #23, Hadith #368)

May Allah guide us and increased our wisdom,so it may help us to know what wrong and what is right.

He granteth wisdom to whom He pleaseth; and he to whom wisdom is granted receiveth indeed a benefit overflowing; but none will grasp the Message but men of understanding.(2:269)
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, April 17, 2006  -  11:10 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Prophet (pbuh) said that women have to cover the hole body except then he pointed out face and hands

Brother, I think you know there are scores of interpretations by different famous scholars of the past and present on what is hijaab. So you should follow who ever is your favorite scholar and madhab and I shall follow mine.

I personally think it is not a requirement to cover the hands and face, and if they do it, it is ok as long as they do not say it is required by Islam. If they say it is required by Islam, than that is a bidda.

Regarding the combining of prayers, I was not talking about taking the prayer out of its time. For e.g. if it is end of dhur and beginning of asr time, then you are still doing the dhur (albeit very late) and then soon you do the asr. That is the meaning of combining. You are still doing them at their proper time.

Btw, there is no where in the Quran the first Kalima 'la ila ha ill lul lah muhammad ur rasool ul lah'. But it is infact two different verses from the holy Quran that someone combined to form the kalima. So if shia people have their own kalima which is different from sunni kalima, we cannot say it is wrong as long as it is nothing bad. The shahada on the other hand is same for any new muslim: 'ash hado alla ila ha ill lul lah, wah da ho wa la sharik alla ho, wa ashadu anna muhammadun abdo ho wa rasool la hu'.

The shia's may have different rituals from sunnis, but that is no reason to consider them deviant. They follow their own imams and scholars, who were all great Muslims too. All I know is Allah says do good and stop evil. So if someone does any good, then we can all learn something good from it. Allah says to establish the salat, pay the zakat, and bow down with those who bow down. So if I see the shia people bowing down in worship, I see no harm in joining them because it is ordained by God.

Edited by: oosman on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:01 AM
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, April 18, 2006  -  10:56 AM Reply with quote
Quote-When the prophet [pbuh] said “Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs after me”; he was actually mentioning ANY rightly guided caliph.

Reply: -There are only four Caliphs in the history of Islam, I mean Khulfa-e- Rashideen and every one knows them. They are the rightly guided Caliphs, who else could be after them. Because the actual Khilafat were ended with Hazrat Ali (RA).

Quote:-I do not believe that any one has a right to introduce anything new in the religion. If we take your statement to be true; it seems that the prophet [pbuh] did not leave the religion complete for us.

Brother what you are saying its look convencing, But have a look on the following hadith of Bukari.Please comments.

Vol 3, Book 32. Praying At Night In Ramadaan (Tara....
Hadith 227. (Shahi Bukhari)

Narrated By Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever prayed at night the whole month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven." Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'UMAR BIN Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'In my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'What an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night. (In those days) people used to pray in the early part of the night."
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, April 18, 2006  -  12:23 PM Reply with quote
Brother Oosman

Quote-Brother, I think you know there are scores of interpretations by different famous scholars of the past and present on what is hijaab. So you should follow who ever is your favorite scholar and madhab and I shall follow mine.

Reply:- Whom ever we follow, but the goal of ours is the same.

Quote:-I personally think it is not a requirement to cover the hands and face, and if they do it, it is ok as long as they do not say it is required by Islam. If they say it is required by Islam, than that is a bidda.

Reply: -Yes if they could not justified it.

Quote: -Regarding the combining of prayers, I was not talking about taking the prayer out of its time. For e.g. if it is end of dhur and beginning of asr time, then you are still doing the dhur (albeit very late) and then soon you do the asr. That is the meaning of combining. You are still doing them at their proper time.

Reply: - But you were referring to Shia people and they don’t follow this way. They performed Asr in Zuhr time and Esha in Magrib time every day.I had checked it with my Shia friend yesterday,he told me that they performed Asr at about 2 PM after performing Zohr,while the time of Asr start here these days after 5.PM only.

Quote:-Btw, there is no where in the Quran the first Kalima 'la ila ha ill lul lah muhammad ur rasool ul lah'. But it is infact two different verses from the holy Quran that someone combined to form the kalima. So if shia people have their own kalima which is different from sunni kalima, we cannot say it is wrong as long as it is nothing bad. The shahada on the other hand is same for any new Muslim: 'ash hado alla ila ha ill lul lah, wah da ho wa la sharik alla ho, wa ashadu anna muhammadun abdo ho wa rasool la hu'.

Reply:-See who is this some one

From Bukhari

Narrated Ibn 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles): 1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle. 2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly. 3. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) . 4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca) 5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.

We Muslim have only two sources for all of our religion Quran(from Allah),Sunnah (from Mumammed(pbuh).We don’t follow some one brother.
But I am not sure about some one who added Ali (RA) in Kalima of Shia people and I don’t want to know also.

Quote:-The shia's may have different rituals from sunnis, but that is no reason to consider them deviant. They follow their own imams and scholars, who were all great Muslims too. All I know is Allah says do good and stop evil. So if someone does any good, then we can all learn something good from it.

Reply: -Chriscians also follow Prophet Jesus (pbuh) and Jue follow Prophet Mosses (pbuh) we can not be Muslim until we faith on both of them, But we know that their followers are deviant from the true path. We Muslim have Quran and Sunnah to follow, and who ever will follow them, he will be on true path.

Quote:- Allah says to establish the salat, pay the zakat, and bow down with those who bow down. So if I see the Shia people bowing down in worship, I see no harm in joining them because it is ordained by God.

Reply:-I doesn’t know weather we can bow down with them or not. One thing I am sure that doing this with our own interpretation, will be the same as some one took some Madison on his own without consulting with a doctor. One should be ready for the consequences.
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, April 18, 2006  -  12:29 PM Reply with quote
We should look at your mentioned hadith first.

It is authentically reported that Allaah's Messenger said, "Stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs after me, cling to that with your molar teeth and beware of new matters, for every innovation is misguidance."

One can clearly see that the word “innovation” must have some meaning in some special context here. That special context is adding something to the corpus of Islam

The hadith that you quoted about the Taraweeh; what I see is that the word “innovation” here means initiating/starting something that is already permissible in religion. One should never put anything that is allowable in the “innovation” category.

The core question about Taraweeh hadith here is: Is it allowed to offer the nafl prayer in congregation? If the answer is “yes” then there is no need to say that it is an innovation; like prophet [pbuh] said “every innovation is misguidance”.

We all know that Hazrat Umar [r.a.] was a man who likes things in order. So he advised them to do it in a more better and effect manner. It would have been an innovation if we were not allowed to offer nafl prayers in congregation. Then your argument would have been just.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, April 19, 2006  -  10:18 AM Reply with quote
Brother Nauman
Assalamu alaikum,

I have find some related information as following.

In the Hanafi school:
1. It is disliked to pray nafl prayers in a large congregation or to make it a habit, except the tarawih prayer in Ramadan. [Durr al-Mukhtar, Radd al-Muhtar, Hashiyat al-Tabyin]
2. This would appear to be somewhat disliked. [Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]
3. The fuqaha termed it a bid`a. [Tahawi, and Kamal ibn al-Humam, Fath al-Qadir]
4. The essential reason for it being disliked is that it entails going against that which is legislated, which is that the obligatory prayers are prayed in congregation, and voluntary prayers alone. The transmitted exceptions relate only to small congregations, and were rare occurrences, as such, the fuqaha explained that:
5. A small congregation, which is less than four people, is not disliked, as long as it is not made a habit. [Durr al-Mukhtar, Radd al-Muhtar, Bazzaziyya]
6. Voluntary prayers are not disliked in the Shafii and Hanbali schools, it appears.

Concerns the performing of the taraweeh in congregation. The Prophet (pbuh) feared that this would become obligatory on the Muslims, that was the preventive reason, and therefore he discontinued this practice. During the time of Umar, the preventive reason no longer existed since Umar is not qualified to make any act obligatory. Therefore, it was possible to revive this Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh). In fact, the companions of the Prophet (pbuh) were the best who understood the religion of Islam and they have implemented this distinction between the acts of the Prophet (pbuh).
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, April 19, 2006  -  8:36 PM Reply with quote
Walaikum As-Salaam Mr. Usmani.

Thanks for the additional information.

Quote: The Prophet (pbuh) feared that this would become obligatory on the Muslims, that was the preventive reason, and therefore he discontinued this practice.

We know our beloved Prophet [pbuh] never tried to burden his ummah in any matter. He always told people not to go in extreme in worships also i.e. be moderate. This is the reason why he always chose the easiest option for himself; as a role model for his ummah.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, April 20, 2006  -  5:53 AM Reply with quote
Thank you Brother Nauman and Brother Shan for guiding me and helping me to correctly understand Sunnah of Our beloved Prophet(pbuh).Thanks for every one, who gave their valueable input in this forum.

Jazak Allah Khairen.

Edited by: usmani790 on Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:06 AM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3 4 5
Next page >>
Page 4 of 5

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker