Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
ayesha786

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Tuesday, April 4, 2006  -  5:00 PM Reply with quote
films, sins, and a wifes reaction

Assalaamu Alaikum.

im a new muslim and a new wife and i was asked by a friend that how can she explain to her husband that watching naked women or a man and a women having intercourse on the tv with everything showing isnt good and is there anything to back this up so that she can tell him the punishment of doing this aswell as her hurt i couldnt really tell her anything as i didnt really know myself so id like to raise the question that

if your husband or son was too watch these films and see these things is it a sin? if so what is the punishment for this? and if seen by the wife doing so how is she meant to react? is there anything to back this up islamicly?

Thankyou

Walaikum Assalaam
oosman

USA
Posted - Thursday, April 6, 2006  -  6:39 PM Reply with quote
As far as punishment is concerned, I don't believe the holy Quran mentions any punishment for watching such stuff, however there is punishment for fornication (100 lashes), and in general the rule is if anything tends to lead you towards a crime or a sin, then you should not do it. Also there are specific directives regarding this in the holy Quran.

You can remind him these orders from Allah:

Quran 24.30

Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

Same (and a bit more) applies to women in the next verse 24.31.

And Allah mentions reward for people who are modest:

Quran 33.35

Lo! men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward.

There are two stories I found in Sahih Bukhari:

Volume 3, Book 43, Number 645:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

The Prophet said, "Beware! Avoid sitting on he roads (ways)." The people said, "There is no way out of it as these are our sitting places where we have talks." The Prophet said, "If you must sit there, then observe the rights of the way." They asked, "What are the rights of the way?" He said, "They are the lowering of your gazes (on seeing what is illegal to look at), refraining from harming people, returning greetings, advocating good and forbidding evil."

Volume 8, Book 74, Number 247:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:

Al-Fadl bin 'Abbas rode behind the Prophet as his companion rider on the back portion of his she camel on the Day of Nahr (slaughtering of sacrifice, 10th Dhul-Hijja) and Al-Fadl was a handsome man. The Prophet stopped to give the people verdicts. In the meantime, a beautiful woman From the tribe of Khath'am came, asking the verdict of Allah's Apostle. Al-Fadl started looking at her as her beauty attracted him. The Prophet looked behind while Al-Fadl was looking at her; so the Prophet held out his hand backwards and caught the chin of Al-Fadl and turned his face (to the owner sides in order that he should not gaze at her. She said, "O Allah's Apostle! The obligation of Performing Hajj enjoined by Allah on His worshipers, has become due (compulsory) on my father who is an old man and who cannot sit firmly on the riding animal. Will it be sufficient that I perform Hajj on his behalf?" He said, "Yes."

These stories show it is not proper to look at the other gender with lust. One should avoid looking at such objects of desire that encourage the animal instincts within.

I hope this helps!

Edited by: oosman on Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:40 PM
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, April 7, 2006  -  8:37 AM Reply with quote
Wa Alikum us Salaam Dear Ayesha; our Sister in Islam

well U've raised a v important point as such things are taken (EVEN by some Muslims especially living ABROAD) as NORMAL these days
BUT
as All Muslims (even All HUMAN Beings too) Know that "IT's a SIN" & these things Harm swerely OUR Purification (at least of our MIND & SOUL)
So Everyone SHUD avoid it
BUT if one Indulges in it then
OUR SOLE DUTY is TO TELL HIM that "You r Doing a SIN & You shud avoid it"
&
In the Case of a Married Couple each Spouse MAY use the THREAT of SEPERATION v WISELY (ie ONLY when it seems necessary & useful for the Correctness of the other spouse) & this MAY be adopted EVEN in the Case of TWO v CLOSE Friends/Relatives
BUT
it SHUD be v v v CLEAR that No One CAN GIVE any punishment of his OWN. One May take this type of Case of his Spouse/friend etc to the Court & the Court will Give a Punishment to the Concern Person only If the JUDGE wants to GIVE punishment.

I think we can TALK more on this topic if Needed
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, April 8, 2006  -  2:59 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - it SHUD be v v v CLEAR that No One CAN GIVE any punishment of his OWN. One May take this type of Case of his Spouse/friend etc to the Court & the Court will Give a Punishment to the Concern Person only If the JUDGE wants to GIVE punishment.

I think she is asking about the punishment according to the Shariah. Decisions of the courts are NOT always according to the Islamic Law.
ayesha786

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, April 8, 2006  -  9:46 PM Reply with quote
that is a good point is there anything according to the shariah on this topic
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 10, 2006  -  6:28 AM Reply with quote
Well U may have NO NEED to ASK about this Point provided U both have READ my POST a bit MORE carefully. A worldy punishment is not ALWAYS present for the SINS In the Islamic Shareeah. In Fact a Punishment is Given for CRIMES only (for details plz SEE our both Courses regarding Islamic punishments) & I tried My best in my prev POST that the Said ACTION is a SIN & NOT a CRIME.
&
Mr Loveall plz Note that in the Absence of Shareeah Punishment "ALL Decisions of a court (ie Decisions of a Muslim Judge)" will be FOLLOWED with the SPIRIT of Islamic Laws if Such Cases are taken to COURTs.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Monday, April 17, 2006  -  9:30 PM Reply with quote
Salaamu Alaikom wa Rahmatullah.
Maybe I am a nit behind.But I want to give some advice to our Sister Ayesha.
Allah has, as we already know declared fornication and adultery as forbidden. But what is very important to know is that Allah has also forbidden every circumstance or way that leads to it. Allah says:

"Do not come near fornication, for it is indeed lewdness and an evil lifestyle." (Al-Isra :32)
In explaining this the Prophet Muhammad (sas) said:

" The fornication of the eyes is staring, the fornication of the ears is listening, the fornication of the tounge is talking, the fornication of the hands is holding, the fornication of the feet is walking, the fornication of the heart/mind is craving and lusting, and finally, the private parts confirm or negate it."

And of course if the man in question is watching naked women then it is with lust and craving, and this is a form of zina.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, May 3, 2006  -  5:57 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - Well U may have NO NEED to ASK about this Point provided U both have READ my POST a bit MORE carefully.

Regarding the PUNISHMENT, YOUR POST has NO ANSWER at all so far as my statement (I think she is asking about the punishment according to the Shariah) is concerned.

Regarding the PUNISHMENT, Your post has ONLY the following statement lacking the proper answer you claimed.

“No One CAN GIVE any punishment of his OWN. One May take this type of Case of his Spouse/friend etc to the Court & the Court will Give a Punishment to the Concern Person only If the JUDGE wants to GIVE punishment”.

The question arose after giving authority to a JUDGE who, while making the decision, DOES NOT always follows the Islamic laws. If they give punishment besides those mentioned implicitly in the Islamic law how you expect the correct decision by them in other cases about which punishment is not mentioned in the Islamic law.

I suggest you to please read the law and compare it with Islamic law. YOU WILL BE CORRECT ONLY WHEN you find a complete harmony between the two (Court law and Islamic law) and not at all disagree.

By the way, what are the REQUIREMENTS OF A JUDGE (or a Qazi) according to the Islamic teachings?

QUOTE: -Mr Loveall plz Note that in the Absence of Shareeah Punishment "ALL Decisions of a court (i.e. Decisions of a Muslim Judge)" will be FOLLOWED with the SPIRIT of Islamic Laws if Such Cases are taken to Courts.

In the PRESENCE of Shariah Punishment, do the judges follow that? If they do not follow what about in a case of ABSENCE of Shariah Punishment like the subject of this forum?

By the way what are the requirement of a Muslim Judge (or a Qazi) according to the Islamic teachings?

SUMMARY:

I suggest you to please read the law and compare it with Islamic law. YOU WILL BE CORRECT ONLY WHEN you find a complete harmony between the two (Court law and Islamic law) and not at all disagree.
sisterinislam

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 22, 2006  -  1:15 PM Reply with quote
Assalamu Alaykum
Dear sister, the advice of another sister would be that your friend does not overreact to this situation Yes it is wrong and sinful not only to be watching this type of scene but also just to be watching tv as Allah has cursed the picture makers and tv is just a series of pictures showed at high speed. firstly i would suggest she shows her objection to him watching this type of programme,film by immediately leaving the room, after compiling as much evidence as possible to support the fact that his behaviour is sinful and carries extreme punishments i think she should at a later stage maybe when they sit down to relax bring up the conversation in a cool and reserved manner maybe say do you know why i walked out of the room today when you were watching thoses films ?
may allah reward you for wanting to advise your friend in the right way and may your friends problems be solved soon inshallah
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Monday, May 22, 2006  -  8:38 PM Reply with quote
Salaamu Alaikom wa rahmatullah
SisterinIslam: You state:

"Yes it is wrong and sinful not only to be watching this type of scene but also just to be watching tv as Allah has cursed the picture makers and tv is just a series of pictures showed at high speed."

Is this backed up by the known Scholars of today or is this your own interpretation or conclusion? If I interpret you right, then it means that watching video cassettes of well know scholars, or programs like the Book of Signs (about Islam and science) should be sinfull. And then it means that Learned men like Ahmed Deedat, Qishq, Munajjid, Qaradawi and more, should also commit this sin since they allow themselfes being recorded for Dawah purposes.
I just mean that we have to be very carefull on what we say is sinfull, haraam and so on, and we have to back it up with clear evidence from the Qur'an and Sunnah and also from the Learned.
No offense meant.
sisterinislam

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, May 23, 2006  -  12:27 PM Reply with quote
Dear sisters and brothers please read below a few hadith of the prophet s.a.w hope this helps confirm my initial post, and clears up any doubts.

Narrated Aisha:

(mother of the faithful believers) I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and H is Apostle . (Please let me know) what sin I have done." Allah's Apostle said, "What about this cushion?" I replied, "I bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allah's Apostle said, "The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, 'Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).' " The Prophet added, "The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures."

Imam Bhukari
6 - Hadith number: 56; Book: Sales and Trade

Narrated Aun bin Abu Juhaifa:

I saw my father buying a slave whose profession was cupping, and ordered that his instruments (of cupping) be broken. I asked him the reason for doing so. He replied, "Allah's Apostle prohibited taking money for blood, the price of a dog, and the earnings of a slave-girl by prostitution; he cursed her who tattoos and her who gets tattooed, the eater of Riba (usury), and the maker of pictures."

8 - Hadith number: 178; Book: Sales and Trade

Narrated Abu Talha :

The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or there are pictures."

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar :

Allah's Apostle said, "Those who make these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them. 'Make alive what you have created.'"

20 - Hadith number: 163; Book: Dress

TV is Haraam.

Animate images are portrayed. Even if these animate images are termed, ‘Islamic entertainment’, they remain Haraam.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Moulana Imraan Vawda
FATWA DEPT.
sisterinislam

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, May 23, 2006  -  12:38 PM Reply with quote
Assalamu Alaykum
ps no offence taken brother it is correct that you ask for daleel (proof)
Mikai

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 29, 2006  -  1:26 PM Reply with quote
Asa Aeysha

Try looking at the link below

(pffft i dont know how to properly link, so i just cut and paste!) It is directly concerned with what your talking about.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503549496

There are verses in the Quran that talk about men and women needing to cover their bodies up and lowering their gaze to the opposite gender. So that would be good to show. Sorry i dont know the verse numbers, but hopefully the site i mentioned above will do.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Monday, May 29, 2006  -  2:51 PM Reply with quote
I think Respected Sister that we have to be very carefull in determine what is Haraam. Now does TV fall under this category as you mentioned? Is not a tv program (news or a recorded lecture for instance) a Reflection of what is already created? The cameraman does not make any image by himself. The picturemakers and the makers of statues are doing this by their own hands, trying to imitate a creation. And again, is this Fatwa that you are giving something that you have interpreted or is it backed up by scholars. Since as I said there is numerous scholars that give lectures on videos, and they are famous and respected scholars. You are going against all of those by your fatwa. And that is why I would like to know if you have any back up on this from any other famous and well know scholar of today. And as far as I understand you yourself never watch a tvprogram like the news or read a newspaper (since they have photos in them), and what about passports and ID cards, driving licenses with photos? Under what category do they fall?
Hope I do not offend you Sister, we all learn and develop from each other and that is why I am on this forum. May Allah and you forgive me if I cause any offense.
sisterinislam

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 29, 2006  -  9:44 PM Reply with quote
Dear brother if you refer to the final fatwa given in my post you will see that this indeed is the case wether from an islamic stance or not, this fatwa was not from me but from a respected scholar if you visit a site called ask the imam you will also find other fatwa issued by other reputable scholars. I didnt make the rules brother Allah did and the hahadith given and fatwas given support these rules I to think that some of the islamic lectures and programmes could be of benefit but like i say i didnt make the rules. if you re read the hadith also that i have given you will see that the word picture maker is a term used to portray all types of makers and given that tv was not around in the times of the prophet s.a.w and as already explained tv is only a series of pictures shown quickly this is now by our respected scholars also to be included in the term picture makers
And Allah assuredly knows best
sisterinislam

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 29, 2006  -  9:48 PM Reply with quote
ps it is also not the creation of an image but the recreation of it the pictures that were quoted in the hadith could have been of say a flower unfortunately this isnt clear however what is clear is that allah s.w.t is the creator of all things so whatever we term create is in fact a recreation of something already created by Allah hope that makes sense.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker