Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
student1

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Sunday, April 9, 2006  -  2:44 PM Reply with quote
Confirming a hadith

Asalam Aalaikum,

Their is a saying of Prophet(pbuh) that quiet often some people quote which states something like this:

" this world is like a cage for the muslims and this same world is like a Jannat(Paradise) for non-muslims".

I wannted to know whether this hadith is authentic or not?
Can the team of studying-Islam confirm this hadith for me?

What does the word "Kaid"(Cage) and "Jannat" refers to in this hadith?

Does it mean to say that this world in which we are living is only for non-muslims and what ever progress they have made in Science and Technology so far is only for them and muslims should isolate themselves from wordly progress and should confine their lives to secterianism and ignorance?

ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 10, 2006  -  5:53 AM Reply with quote
Wa Alaikum us Salaam

Yes This Hadith is a "Saheeh" Hadith & present in MANY books including "Saheeh Muslim"

I'm afraid, your Described meaning of the Hadith is Totally WRONG. It Only means that as a Person in PRISON/JAIL has to face MANY restrictions & He's NOT FREE there, Same is the Case of a Muslim/Mu'min that If he wants to Go to Jannah He has to FOLLOW the order of God, so He's NOT FREE in this WORLDLY Life whereas a Non-muslim has Absolute FREEDOM in this "Dunya".
&
You Know that Our "Jail" period is V V V SHORT as compare to the OUR Heavenly Period for Which we are Trying OUR BEST by treating our worly life as a JAIL life.
7 No NEED to mention that the "jannat" period of Non-Muslims is VVVVVVVVVV small
So there is NO NEED to WORRY
& ENJOY your Worldly Life BUT only in the God Given LIMITS
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 10, 2006  -  6:03 PM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum,

I hope you didnot mind my question.

I didnot understand the last part of your post.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, April 12, 2006  -  6:36 AM Reply with quote
Wa Alaikum su Salaam

Why shud I mind any Question? I'm HERE for ur Questions

Well I'm sorry for That. I just wanted to STATE that This Worldy LIFE is MUCH MUCH MUCH shorter as Compared to the LIFE after DEATH.
So
If we Spend our WHOLE life (of 60, 70 or 80 yrs) in the RESTRICTED area of GOD & become able to EARN the JANNAH in Return then "THAT's NOT a BAD Business"

I hope it's Clear NOW
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, May 7, 2006  -  11:47 AM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum,

Thanks for your explanation brother Ibrahim I agree fully with your views but the problem is that we have been using this saying of Prophet(pbuh) to justify our lagging behind in Wordly progress and this hadith is used usually when west is shown as a place which is making progress in Science and Technology.
Don't you think that by using this hadith , muslims who are already a target of humiliation and disunity will remain in this kind of situation instead of thinking about their future with open minds.

If Allah(swt)has given us a temperory life on earth does it means that we should ignore Science and Technology and live a life in Isolation?

Regards,
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Monday, May 8, 2006  -  9:55 PM Reply with quote
Alaikom Salaam.
Just an input.
I think if this hadeeth is used in order for Muslims to lag behind in this world then it is complitely misunderstood.
Now logically thinking: Allah says in The Qur'an:
"Behold! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of Night and Day, - There are indeed Signs for men of understanding." (3:190) Now if we through the times should have ignored science should we then be able to see the Signs of Allahs wonders of creation?
And if to look at Islamic history and especially at midieval times, who where the leading in for instance astronomy? The Muslims.
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, May 22, 2006  -  2:07 PM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum,

Thanks for your input,

The muslims of medival times where much different from the muslims of today in terms of mentality and knowledge. The Muslims of medival times I think were the 3rd generations of muslims about whom Prophet(pbuh) mentioned in a hadith as the best after the 1st and the 2nd generation of muslims.

Unfortunately the muslims of today still believe in irrational and baseless concepts that is not supported either by Scientific research or by the teachings of Qur'an and Sunnah of the Prophet(pbuh).

The environment in the muslim world is such that unfortunately we are not able to produce Scientists and Thinkers whereas in the Medival Times muslim world produced ,Philosphers, Astronomers, Mathematicians and Thinkers.

I hope you agree with me.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, May 26, 2006  -  10:53 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - The problem is that we have been using this saying of Prophet (pbuh) to justify our lagging behind in Worldly progress and this hadith is used usually when west is shown as a place which is making progress in Science and Technology.
If Allah (swt) has given us a temporary life on earth does it means that we should ignore Science and Technology and live a life in Isolation?

Your interpretation as well as the perception is wrong!

Neither any Muslim is against Science and technology nor Islam discourages it. After one of the Ghazwat Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) decided to release the prisoners on the condition of being taught one Muslim by one non-muslim. Obviously it was the worldly knowledge taught by the non-muslims to the Muslims, on which the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) had emphasised otherwise which Islamic knowledge a non-muslim could give to a Muslim? Another saying of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) is “Utla-bul ilmo wa lao kana bisseen” (Get knowledge if you were have to go to china too). So what Islamic knowledge was present or is present at China for which it had been said? This seems to be all for our worldly progress in various fields of our lives.

If the Muslims condemn Science and technology, is there any Muslim who is against modern ways of treatment of diseases or is there any Muslim who is not availing the latest information technology etc? Rings of mobile telephones in the pockets of the Muslims are heard in the mosques even during offering prayers.

Now even mosques have latest technologies used for various purposes. If you have gone to Saudi Arabia (Rulers of which are considered to be conservatives or against the innovations), you must have seen Masjid-e-Haram and Masjid-e-Nabvi with latest technologies used by those who believe in the Hadith you pointed out. Even in our country many mosques are well furnished and facilitated by the latest things.

As pointed out some brother/sister, it is not only Astronomy but Medicine also where Muslim Scientists played a major role. For example Jabir bin Hayan, Abdul Malik Asmai, Abu Usman Umar Aljahiz, Al Farabi, Abul Qasim Al Zohravi, Razi, Ibnul Haithum, Bu Ali Sina, Ibn un Nafees and Ali Ibne Sina etc are the forefathers of medicine and the allied subjects. It must be remembered that the Medicine, which we read, today in English are the translations of their books preserved in various libraries of the world. Later on most of the work by Muslims as well as non muslim scientists were carried out under the guidance of their books.

As you perceived, are the Muslims not using science and technology and condemning it? Do they deliberately want to put themselves in the difficulties of life or some Muslims are poor and can’t afford?

Purpose of he Hadith seems to be the “Restrictions by the Shareeha limits” for Muslims but not for non-Muslims i.e. a non-muslim is free but a Muslim not. For example a Muslim, for Fajr prayer, is bound to get up early in the morning, which is; the peak time of sleep but a non-Muslim is free to enjoy the sleep. Similarly many other examples can be quoted.

Meanings of the Hadith are not difficult but sometimes rather most of the times the preoccupation misleads to the improper understanding.

In the end summarizing the views, it can be said that no Muslim is against Science and technology and worldly progress in various fields of our lives. Regarding the Hadith, there are certain LIMITS of the Shareeha for Muslims and not for non-Muslims and because of these limits this world is called a cage for Muslims.

Edited by: Loveall on Friday, May 26, 2006 6:53 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker