Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
oosman

USA
Topic initiated on Thursday, April 27, 2006  -  12:45 PM Reply with quote
foie gras

I just read in the news about this 'delicacy' some Western restaurants serve. It is called Forie Gras. It is a French food in origin.

It is basically duck meat. The duck, when alive, is force fed many times over than what it can eat, this causes its liver to grow very large until the liver ruptures, causing the bird to die a very painful death. The people who eat this duck say it tastes absolutely amazing. I think this is very revolting.

Here is a picture:

http://storage.msn.com/x1p4JHjVbcjTC8vFVyL504pVLeqeBN_Gw50xCO1FLCEA_TWJc8cv2WFwsXa3otm2yrG8n1_nmQvhIIDKo-SQqXErtJUya3VVlXIHfu243VUdJ6B6VAcm9hC-1GcYpc3LXXVkYadwONarJyRhHorUMUuRw

5:3 005.003
Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death;

Allthough this meat is not obtained by strangling, violent blow or fall or goring - but it is plain torture for the animal. What should the Islamic view on this be?
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Thursday, April 27, 2006  -  7:33 PM Reply with quote
Is it not so that if this duck dies because of liver rupture then it must fall under the cathegory of self dead animals?

And also in the light of Islam we are not allowed to be cruel to any animal. Even when the animal shall be slaughtered the person doing it has to be skilled, knife has to be very sharp (in order to make the death as less painfull as possible), and as far as I know, before cutting the butcher shall hold the knife behind his back (not to stress the animal) and also he shall not slaughter the animal in front of other animals (also in order not to stress the animal).
In MY opinion, if we look at how we shall treat animals as a whole and also conditions of slaughtering in the light of Islam, then this way of producing foi gras cannot fall under the Islamic way.
Allah and His Messenger knows best

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker