Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
xxbasxx

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Wednesday, May 31, 2006  -  8:33 PM Reply with quote
- Just some questions ^_^ -

Assalamualaikum brothers, sisters, respected elders

i was reading the Quraan and came across a few verses that i didnt understand. could you please explain what they mean to me?

Jazak'Allah

s4, v153 says:

"The people of the Scripture ask you to bring down to them a book from the heaven. But they had asked Moses [even] greater than that and said, "Show us Allah outright," so the thunderbolt struck them for their wrongdoing..."

i dont understand; what wrong did they do? is Allah saying that asking Moses to show Allah to the people was a really big sin? why?

also...

s4, v 160 says:

"For wrongdoing on the part of the Jews, We made unlawful for them [certain] good foods which had been lawful to them, and for their averting from the way of Allah many [people]..."

i dont understand why Allah chose such a punishment, to make certain good foods unlawful to them. what kind of a punishment is this? please explain

and...

s5, v3 says:

"...and [prohbited is] that you seek decision through divining arrows..."

when i read that, i was like O_O ha? divining arrows?

please forgive my 15-year-old naiivette, but it would be much appreciated if someone could please explain the above to me

thank you very much

Wassalam .xXx.
oosman

USA
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  1:58 AM Reply with quote
Assalam alaikum,

I have not read the whole verse 153 you mentioned, but I know from sura Baqara what sins the Jews (people of Musa) did to deserve being struck by thunderbolt when they asked to see God plainly. They had started to worship a calf when Musa left them for just 40 nights. And this they did after Allah had rescued them from Pharaoah, by splitting the river Nile for them so they could escape, and by drowning the Pharaoh's people in the river. Sura Baqara also mentions that they used to change the verses from God, the scripture. They were an ungrateful bunch of people. They had no food or water, and food would descend from the heavens for them. Then they said to Musa we are tired of eating the same thing everyday!

Regarding the divine arrows, the Arab bedouins used to be superstitious. They believed in special powers of certain arrows. When deciding if they should do something or not (like go on a trip or not, buy something or not, etc.) they would draw out arrows from the quiver, and I think based on what arrow drew out, they would make a decision. Such supertitious beliefs are haram, the arrows don't have any such power, and that is what your verse is talking about. Only Allah knows the future, not some stupid arrow that you draw from a bag.
xxbasxx

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  1:32 PM Reply with quote

Assalamualaikum brother

thank you soooooooo much for clearing all of that up for me, it makes a lot more sense now, Alhamdulillah

really? supersticions like the 'divine arrows' are haram?? i never knew that

and, thank you again for explaining it in such a concise way, Jazak'Allah hu khair, brother

Wassalam ^_^ .xXx.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker