Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
nabyas

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  9:39 AM Reply with quote
Why is pork Haram

My son studies in the US and off and on he comes up with questions on the lawful and prohibited in Islam. He usually has talks and discussions with the non muslims there who are usually jews. This time he asked me why pork is Haram and my reply was that in THE QURAN it states that any thing dead, blood and pork has been termed HARAAM in our religion. But he asked me why because now the pigs are being raised in farms and given feed and now no more do they eat their own discreation. I always tell my son that our religion is for all times and there is always a reason why GOD forbids something. I could not give him a reason to this query although I know for sure that my knowledge is limited. Can someone please give me an answer to this query. Jazak Allah Khair Kaseerun
oosman

USA
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  4:13 PM Reply with quote
There is no reason given in the holy Qur'an for pork being haram.

But do you know that pigs eat anything, their young, their feaces, rotten foods, and they will even eat man if they can subdue him or he is weak. They copulate a lot, they live in filth. Pigs can grow very big, heavier than cows. Even in US, pigs are always living in filth, as I have seen them on the farms. Aroung hog confinements, several acres of land have a horrible stench and you need to hold your breadth if driving by.

I don't know why your son thinks they keep them clean here. It is almost impossible to keep them clean, as they enjoy filth. He needs to go to a hog confinement and check it out. I think the smell will overpower him and he probably would be even able to go close to it.

But there are some good things about pigs. They have a great sense of smell, far superior to dogs. Some pigs are trained to sniff out landmines and drugs. Also pigs and humans have some medical similarities so some pig organs can be grown to save human lives.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  5:35 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - But do you know that pigs eat anything, their young, their feaces, rotten foods,

I have heard that its food is same as that of goats. Regarding the food what about chickens and fish?
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  7:02 PM Reply with quote
See also the following links:

http://www.understanding-islam.com/related/text.asp?type=question&qid=192

http://www.understanding-islam.com/related/text.asp?type=rarticle&raid=220
oosman

USA
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  8:49 PM Reply with quote
I am not sure what they feed these farm animals including pigs. But by nature goats, chicken, fish will not eat their own young ones, however pigs eat anything - they don't care what it is.
Mikai

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  10:25 PM Reply with quote
asa wb

I heard somewhere that eating pigs has some sort of effect on the mind, or body. I also heard a long time ago about tape worms or something and that you can get them by eating pig. I cant remember much of these stories or how true they are. But you can check this out on the web, you might find some better and indepth info on it. I'll try look up myself and post it here next time.
oosman

USA
Posted - Thursday, June 1, 2006  -  10:47 PM Reply with quote
You can get those parasites from beef also - just make sure to cook your meat thoroughly so you kill all these parasites and their eggs.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, June 2, 2006  -  10:42 AM Reply with quote
Well, pork is Haram JUST bcoz Allah has Declared it Haraam & HIS decleration means that though it looks like sheep/goat etc. BUT it is NOT from them, So it is Haram.
as true Muslim there is NO NEED to find any other reason for it. Allah has the Right to declare ANY thing Haram & He has Used His THIS right in Case of PORK & that's All.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, June 2, 2006  -  3:43 PM Reply with quote
Pigs are found frequently in the some villages of Pakistan especially near the riverbanks. They are not seen in the daylight. If we go out after Isha prayer, they are found wandering here and there. There are following facts about pigs.

1. They damage the crops badly showing that they are herbivores as pointed in the link of Understanding Islam. Being herbivores they have their hoofs and external genitalia similar to those of goats, cows, buffalo and camels. I have not seen but heard that they chew the cud too.

2. There is no evidence of any injury done by pigs to the pets, at night, tied with the pegs in open air of the farms showing that they are not carnivores otherwise the wolves in some villages take with them one or two goats/sheep daily. But when behind some female pig, especially male pigs injure (with their long teeth like those of elephants) humans badly whoever comes in their path. Such incidences usually occur when someone is passing near a dense crop. Like elephants their long teeth are not for eating purpose.

3. If they eat their own children, NO dead remain of any younger or adults pig is found anywhere.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, June 2, 2006  -  3:46 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - as true Muslim there is NO NEED to find any other reason for it. Allah has the Right to declare ANY thing Haram & He has Used His THIS right in Case of PORK & that's All

It is for knowledge only otherwise every Muslim knows that pork is Haraam (Quran 2:173, 5:3, 6:145, 16:115).

Edited by: Loveall on Friday, June 02, 2006 7:57 PM
abdulkareem

USA
Posted - Saturday, June 3, 2006  -  3:46 AM Reply with quote
There is mentioned in the Qu'ran that pig is made with the mixture of cat,rat and dog .That in itself tell the charector of the pig. The dog licks it self,rats eats filth ddead people ect. and cat hahves it filthy habits also. and Allah knows best of everything
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 3, 2006  -  4:51 AM Reply with quote
Well Brother, Wud U mind telling US that WHERE in Quran it is mentioned that pig is made with the mixture of cat,rat and dog. Plz Give US Surah no & Verse No. thanx
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, June 3, 2006  -  12:01 PM Reply with quote
Question: Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?
Answer: The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork-prohibited in Qur’an
The Qur’an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. Its prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked a name other than that of Allah. [Al-Qur’an 5:3] The above verses of the Holy Qur’an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible
The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus and the swine, as he divideth the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you. Leviticus chapter 11 verse 7 and 8:

Pork is also prohibited in the book of Deuteronomy
And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass. Deuteronomy chapter 14 verse 8:

A similar prohibition is repeated in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases
The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various Helminthes, like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which in a layman’s terminology is called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack and if it enters the eye it can cause blindness. If it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Taenia Tichurasis. A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from

Taenia tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ovas present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material
Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth
The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don’t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour’s excreta.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal
The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. It feels no jealousy. And among people who consume pork, the practice of wife swapping and other forms of promiscuous behaviour is common.

(The auther is the president of Islamic Research Foundation, Mumbai. Email: islam@irf.net, http://www.irf.net)
http://www.islamicvoice.com/february.99/zakir.htm
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, June 3, 2006  -  12:06 PM Reply with quote
quote:

There is mentioned in the Qu'ran that pig is made with the mixture of cat,rat and dog

Please do not spread lies about the holy Qur'an!!!
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, June 3, 2006  -  12:17 PM Reply with quote
worth to be watched
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5123853843535568596&q=naik
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, June 6, 2006  -  11:32 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases.

For knowledge of the undergraduates and postgraduates, could you provide the list of those diseases?

QUOTE: - A person can have various Helminthes, like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which in a layman’s terminology is called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack and if it enters the eye it can cause blindness. If it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body. Another dangerous helminthes is Taenia Tichurasis. A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Taenia tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ovas present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

For the knowledge of the undergraduates and postgraduates, could you provide where it is written that pigs are the ONLY hosts of these parasites?

NOTE: NO Medical students must accept such or any other medical information given on any site without confirming from the authenticated medical literature (national or international).

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker