Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
solomon

USA
Topic initiated on Wednesday, September 20, 2006  -  12:45 AM Reply with quote
have the Shriners EVER had a connexion w/the relig

Question #1

have the Shriners EVER had a connexion w/the religion of Islam?

insha Allah more, later...
solomon

USA
Posted - Wednesday, September 20, 2006  -  1:25 AM Reply with quote
Fleming took the ideas supplied by Florence and converted them into what would become the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (A.A.O.N.M.S.). .... MASONS

The Salutation
Dr. Fleming and his coworkers also formulated a salutation used today by Shriners —— "Es Selamu Aleikum!" which means, "Peace be with you!" In returning the salutation, the gracious wish is "Aleikum Es Selamu," which means "With you be peace."

Billy Florence was a star. After becoming the toast of the New York stage, he toured London, Europe and Middle Eastern countries, always playing to capacity audiences. While on tour in Marseilles, France, Florence was invited to a party given by an Arabian diplomat. The entertainment was something in the nature of an elaborately staged musical comedy. At its conclusion, the guests became members of a secret society.

The founders of the Shrine

Walter Fleming
William Florence

Florence, recalling the conversations at the Knickerbocker Cottage, realized that this might well be the vehicle for the new fraternity. He made copious notes and drawings at that initial viewing and on two other occasions when he attended the ceremony, once in Algiers and again in Cairo. When he returned to New York in 1870 and showed his material to Dr. Fleming, Fleming agreed. ...

The Emblem
The Salutation
Dr. Fleming and his coworkers also formulated a salutation used today by Shriners — "Es Selamu Aleikum!" — which means, "Peace be with you!" In returning the salutation, the gracious wish is "Aleikum Es Selamu," which means "With you be peace."

The Imperial Council
At a meeting of Mecca Temple on June 6, 1876, in the New York Masonic Temple, ...

1905 Islam Shrine Temple Badge

This early Islam Temple badge is made of brass and commemorates the 1905 trip by them to Niagara Falls, N.Y. It is full of Shrine symbolism with the pyramid on the bottom and Horn of Plenty at the top. The border is decorated in flowers and scenes of Niagara Falls are in the center.

1915 Islam Shrine Temple

Etched Glass Vase

WHY DOES THE "CRESCENT AND STAR", LOOK LIKE THE SYMBOL OF
ISLAM,
> > TURNED UPSIDE DOWN?

ISLAM TEMPLE No. 182

A.E.A.O.N.M.S.

ILLUSTRIOUS POTENTATE

THOMAS D. DARGAN JR., 33° KYCH
704 North 'A' Street. Pensacola, Florida 32501

Meeting: 1ST SATURDAY 7:30 P.M. Divan Meeting: 3RD THURSDAY 7:30 P.M.

Imperial Deputy of the Oasis

Past Illustrious Potentate Billy D. Mc Lamb 33°

Islam 182 Divan

Thomas D. Dargan Jr., 33° KYCH, Illustrious Potentate

Warren Taylor 32° Chief Rabban

HPP Edgar Jennings KT, Assistant Rabban

William Simons 32°, High Priest & Prophet

Thomas Rideau 32°, Oriental Guide

Elwyne Knight KT, 1st Ceremonial Master

Michael Moore KT, 2nd Ceremonial Master

Robert L. Seay 32°, Captain of the Guard

B. J. Lanier KT, Outer Guard

HPP Earnest B. Daniels 33° KYCH, Recorder

PIP Floyd W. Showalter 33°, Treasurer

http://www.geocities.com/islam_182/

Early Islam Shrine Temple Oil Painting

Table still life with Shriner's Fez. Circa 1880: by Harriet A.E. Jackson (Mrs. John Browning), 19th century, British. Oil on Canvas, 7 x 10 inches, signed lower right. Paintings on Masonic themes are quite rare and few have been painted by trained and skilled artists as has this. The frame is the original, 2 inch wide, dark oak, Arts and Crafts period. (The Frame is not shown) Ms. Jackson is listed in Benezit as a painter of historical subjects. The detail work in this painting is meticulous, (the object in the foreground is a lit cigar) and the fez is particularly appealing.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, September 20, 2006  -  12:43 PM Reply with quote
The Shriners were formed in the 1870s by two theatrical New York Freemasons who became entranced with Arabic and Muslim lore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners

.......Despite its Arabic theme, the Shrine is in no way connected to Islam. It is a men's fraternity rather than a religion or religious group. Its only religious requirement is indirect: all Shriners must be Masons, and petitioners to Freemasonry must profess a belief in a Supreme Being. In order to further minimize any confusion with religion, the use of the word "Temple" to describe Shriners' buildings has now been replaced by the phrase "Shrine Center."..............

.They developed rites in which God is referred to by many names, including "Allah," "Father" and the "Grand Geometrician." Shriners have traditionally prayed by facing toward Mecca (the most holy city in Islam) and initiation ceremonies include the Bible, altars, holy titles and devotion to "the everlasting foundation of God-given law."

The blood oath of secrecy represents the most contentious display of religion in the Shriners.

The Encyclopedia of Fraternities, by Albert Stevens, contains this description of the macabre punishment a Shriner agrees to if he ever transgress his obligations to the mystic Shrine: "In willful violation whereof may I incur the fearful penalty of having my eyeballs pierced to the centre with a three-edged blade, my feet flayed, and I be forced to walk the hot sands upon the sterile shores of the Red Sea until the flaming sun shall strike me with livid plague, and may Allah, the god of Arab, Moslem and Mohammedan, the god of our fathers, support me to the entire fulfillment of the same. Amen. Amen. Amen."

Stanford University's Rich says Shriners shouldn't be surprised Muslims believe Shriners are parodying their religion. Noted Vancouver Muslim Itrath Syed, for one, finds the Shriners appropriation of Islamic themes annoying, even though she recognizes they do good work.

"It seems to me the Shriners took what they wanted from Muslim and Arab culture, ignored the original meaning, ascribed new meaning to it and patched it together. It's as if they were creating their own little fantasy, which at one level seems harmless, but at another level seems part of a larger imperialistic project."

BELIEF'S OF SHRINERS:

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/masons.htm

..Most do not realize the terrible oaths that Masons are required to take for each advancing degree in this cult. Each Entering Apprentice, for example, is required to repeat:

"... most solemnly and sincerely promise and swear, that I will always hail, ever conceal, and never reveal, any of the arts, parts or points of the hidden mysteries of ancient Freemasonry. ... All this I most solemnly, sincerely promise and swear, with a firm and steadfast resolution to perform the same, without any mental reservation or secret evasion of mine whatever binding myself under no less a penalty than that of having my throat cut across, my tongue torn out by its roots, and buried in the rough sand of the sea at low water mark where the tide ebbs and flows twice in twenty-four hours, should I ever knowingly or willingly violate my solemn oath and obligation as an Entered Apprentice Mason. So help me, God." ...

Each succeeding degree has a similar horrible oath and penalty connected with it.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, September 20, 2006  -  12:47 PM Reply with quote
http://tinyurl.co.uk/jfhg

God:
Masons require one to believe in God to be a member, but the candidate is never required to say what god he believes in -- "Masonry ... requires merely that you believe in some deity, give him what name you will ... any god will do, so he is your god" (Little Masonic Library, Macoy Publishing, 1977, 4:32). Masons commonly refer to their deity as the "Great Architect of the Universe" (G.A.O.T.U.) or the Supreme Being. God is further described as Grand Artificer, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge Above, Jehovah, Allah, Buddha, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, or Great Geometer. (The "G" in the Masonic ring can refer to God; it can also refer to geometry.) Masons claim that the actual name for God has been lost (cf. Jn. 14:8,9; Phil. 2:9-11; 1 Jn. 5:20) [HJB].

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker