Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
uhmelas

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, September 28, 2006  -  1:31 PM Reply with quote
The Wisdom of Hazrat Ali (rta):

Hazrat Ali (may Allah be pleased with him), and the fourth Caliph of Islam, was a very wise man. It is said that two gentlemen were traveling together. They carried their lunch with them. One of them had five loaves and the other had three. After some time they felt hungry and sat down to eat. Another man passed by. He too was hungry, but he had no food. They asked him to join them. They shared their loaves and ate their meal. Afterwards, the stranger gave them eight pieces of money to pay for his share of the food and thanking them, he departed.

The man who had five loaves took five pieces of money and gave the other three pieces to his friend. But the friend thought that he should have half the money. They began to argue. At last, they decided to let the Caliph settle the case.

When they had told the Caliph the whole story, he said, "Let the owner of the five loaves take seven pieces of money and the owner of the three loaves take one piece."

The simple men could not understand this judgment. They were told to think about how much each man had eaten and how much each had given to the stranger. Dividing each of the eight loaves into three shares gave twenty-four portions. As they all had eaten the same amount, they all had eight portions. It was obvious; therefore, that the man with three loaves had only one portion to give to the stranger, and the man with five loaves had seven portions left to give to their guest.

See the sayings of Hazrat Ali (rta) at:

http://www.al-islam.org/masoom/sayings/saying5.html

http://alislaah2.tripod.com/naseehat/id2.html

http://muslim-canada.org/hadratali.htm
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, September 30, 2006  -  3:23 PM Reply with quote
thank you for this great story.
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Sunday, October 1, 2006  -  10:15 AM Reply with quote
I am a bit skeptical of this story. It's a math problem. Now either it originated with Ali, which I doubt, or it is a later wrongful attribution to the great Companion.

A and B were about to have food. A had 3 slices of bread and B had 5. A traveller C joined them with no food of his own. They all shared the 8 slices equally amongst themselves. C gave them (A and B) 8 gold coins asking them to divide it amongst themselves and left. Help A and B divide the coins justly.
uhmelas

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, October 2, 2006  -  3:56 PM Reply with quote
Dear Junaidj
Ur quote, I am a bit skeptical of this story. It's a math problem. Now either it originated with Ali, which I doubt, or it is a later wrongful attribution to the great Companion.

You might be wrong or otherwise. Only Allah knows the best.
uhmelas

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, October 2, 2006  -  3:56 PM Reply with quote
Dear Junaidj
Ur quote, I am a bit skeptical of this story. It's a math problem. Now either it originated with Ali, which I doubt, or it is a later wrongful attribution to the great Companion.

You might be wrong or otherwise. Only Allah knows the best.
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, October 3, 2006  -  7:51 PM Reply with quote
quote:

You might be wrong or otherwise.

I stand corrected. A friend has supported the view point that this problem did originate at hazrat Ali's time.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker