Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Topic initiated on Sunday, October 1, 2006  -  10:36 AM Reply with quote
Who are the "moderate Muslims"?

........As one who identifies himself strongly with the idea of a liberal Islam and also advocates moderation in the manifestation and __expression of Islamic politics, I believe it is important that we flush out this “political identity”. In an era when who we are determines what we do politically, it is imperative that we clarify the “we” in politics.

American media uses the term moderate Muslim to indicate a Muslim who is either pro-western in her politics or is being self-critical in her discourse. Therefore both President Karzai of Afghanistan and Professor Kahlid Abul Fadl of UCLA wear the cap with felicity, the former for his politics the latter for his ideas.

Muslims in general do not like using the term, understanding it to indicate an individual who has politically sold out to the “other” side. In some internal intellectual debates, the term moderate Muslim is used pejoratively to indicate a Muslim who is more secular and less Islamic than the norm, which varies across communities. In America, a moderate Muslim is one who peddles a softer form of Islam – the Islam of John Esposito and Karen Arm Strong – is willing to co-exist peacefully with peoples of other faiths and is comfortable with democracy and the separation of politics and religion......

complete text here

what do you think?

Edited by: raushan on Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:37 AM
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, October 1, 2006  -  6:22 PM Reply with quote
I didn't read the whole text, but I think we should use the term 'moderate muslims' to separate us from the fundamentalist, fascist, extremist and mullah mentality muslims.

Islam is a tolerant religion and preaches fundamental human rights and basic democratic principles. As such there is no harm in using this term because it complies with our religion.

A muslim is one who follows the middle path, not too extremist, and not too lenient, but just moderate - hence we should all try to be moderate muslims.
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, October 2, 2006  -  10:36 AM Reply with quote
I agree with Brother oosman that a Muslim should not be an extremist. However, I disagree that he should not be a fundamentalist. Perhaps a little definition of the word fundamentalist will clear his concept. If you look it up in the Oxford Dictionary, a fundamentalist is one who strictly adheres to his religious beliefs. The reason why we nowadays misunderstand the word fundamentalist is because of its usage in the West after 9/11. The West calls Muslim terrorists fundamentalists. It is therefore only a misconception that the word means extremist.
In fact, contrary to Brother oosman's viewpoint, I think every Muslim should be a fundamentalist.

Wassalaamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullah.
oosman

USA
Posted - Tuesday, October 3, 2006  -  7:53 PM Reply with quote
Whereas there is the dictionary definition of a fundamentalist that you quoted, it is very concise and does not do justice to the complex nature of the word. Also it does not fit the more popular definition of the word.

A fundamentalist can be someone who:
* thinks that their beliefs are the absolute truth
* thinks that others must be forced to follow their values (because he/she thinks he is on truth)

This is in contradiction to Islamic philosophy which encourages the mind to question everything. If a person starts believing everything he believes in is correct, then he will not question it, and blindly follow it without reason.

Many Muslims who blindly follow some vague hadith, or a wrong interpretation of the Quran, thinking it is absolute truth, they will never question its authenticity. Moreover they will force others to obey it.

The taliban regime is one example of Muslim fundamentalist regime. They believed men must grow beards and they imposed their will on all men. They believed men must cover legs till the knees, so when Pakistani soccer team went there to play in shorts, the players were disicplined by shaving off their heads.

Here is another recent example of Muslim fundamentalism, please read:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/72B41A70-F2AC-411E-9DC0-55AACBD4D291.htm

Fundamentalists believe that their interpretations are correct, they are on absolute truth and there cannot be any doubt or reasoning to change their logic.

Are you like that?

Edited by: oosman on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:43 AM
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, October 6, 2006  -  8:42 AM Reply with quote
Assalaam u ALaykum

My understanding of Islam, has made me look at this very interesting issue differently. As I understand, a true muslim is a muslim who has the right understanding of Islam; and practices them. He/she obviously believes that his/her beliefs are absolute truth.

The problem that west have with Islam and the problem with most so called muslims is that neither have the true understanding of Islam.

Islam as I understand is not a rigid or hard religion but a tolerent and flexible religion.

The 'Quran calls our Prophet pbuh ( He is the messenger of peace and blessings for the ENTIRE MANKIND"

The picture of Islam today on the contrary is about an unyeilding terror lead religion depicted by suicide bombing, violation of rights of women and inequality for females. A religion that has no tolerance or flexibility, that depicts human right violations by chopping hands for theft and stoning adulterers.

As I understand there is no such thing as a fundamentalist or moderate muslim, but a "true muslim".

The purpose of religion is "purification" (spiritual cleansing). It entails obediance, worship and humility.After Belief the most important obligation of religion on individuals is Ikhlaqiaat i.e ettiquettes and mannerisms. This means that an individual purifies his/her actions towards both his Creator and OTHER INDIVIDUALS. This is termed Aml i saleh or ( good deeds). Essential religion is Belief and Amal i salah.

The Prophet Muhammad pbuh stated " The best among you are those who are better than others in their ikhlaq i.e ettiquettes and mannerisms. These are the people who are dear to me.On the Day of Judgment among a persons deeds, the ones that will weigh the heaviest are his/her good ikhlaq i.e ettiquetes and mannerisms.

It is our lack of appreciation and understanding of the ethos of our religion that has made us think about being moderate or fundamentalist.

I quote an example, the muslims in Makkah before hijrat were subjected to the worst of punishments. what was the response of our Prophet pbuh. Did he say naouzobillah that he will avenge them when he is victorious or that he said we will resort to suicide attacks.
Hazrat Yasser's family was the first to be martyred, when the Prophet saw them tortured, his response was to this effect" be patient Allah has promised Paradise"

Today "a muslim" feels that he can kill an innocent jew/christian or human being even children and will attain Paradise.

Our incorrect understanding and interpretation of religion and Qur'an has made a significant number of "so called muslims" wrongly belief that it is our destiny or obligation to strive for islamic domination.

The Pope makes a very wrong statement about our prophet PBUH. That Islam brought violance. How do we respond? by violance as if we want to prove his point, by attacking churches burning effergies and even murdering a nun. WE in fact proved his point.

The Islam that I understand is depicted by the journey of Taaif and the response of our prophet PBUH when he was stonned and humilated.He still prayed for their forgiveness. The Islam I believe in says that Patience is even a bigger act than Jihad.

Surah Asr tells us what the religion asks of us.

I ask a question? How did Islam spread? by offering namaz? muslims say namaz at home or mosques that non muslims do not enter. By fasting? no one can see our fast. By pilgrimmage? we perform pilgrammage in makkah ,where non muslims can not enter. By paying zakah? we only donate to muslims. The prophet PBUH spread Islam by his actions, speech, way of living and how he interacted with people as well as dialogue in an appropriate manner. He wa called Sadiq and Amin by the non muslims. History tells us that they would disgree and fight him in the day but if they wanted to leave money or something precious they would still come to him, because thet knew he would not cheat or lie.

As I understand, every muslim is an ambassador of Allah. We must learn and practice the part. Our religion teaches us tolerance, to abide by the rules of the country we live in, People around us , muslims and non muslims are our Allah's creations, how can we hate our Allah's creations.?

The point we forget is that if Allah wants then the entire world would become muslim in an instant. This world was cretaed as a test. For people to us etheir intellect and earn Paradise. Hence Allah has created the diversity.

What does the religion demand from a muslim? three things.

Learn about it in the right manner. Practice it . Teach others. NOT ENFORCE UPON OTHERS. Every person will lie in his/her grave. our obligation is to infom and teach what we know to the one who wants to listen.Remember Abu Talib the prophet of Allah pbuh tried to convert him. he could not. It is not in our power to change the hearts of people. Awareness comes solely form Allah.

If we understand the true Islam we do not have to bother about being moderate or fundamentalist. Islam is a religion of peace and love for others. Simple fact"Jehad" cannot be fought by individuals. It can only be undertaken by an Islamic state. Only if strict requirements are met. Simple fact the Qur'an states that to kill one PERSON (not a muslim) without reason is as if you have killed the entire mankind.

What do we say to people who shout "death to all americans and westerners". Is this what our religion teaches us.

I agree that we need to learn to question.We need to attain a proper understanding of our religion. WE need to potray the true Islam to the West. WE NEED TO BE "TRUE MUSLIMS"
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, October 7, 2006  -  7:30 AM Reply with quote
Well, I guess we all have our differences of opinion.
perv1

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, October 7, 2006  -  11:43 AM Reply with quote
Salaam Waseem

quote:

Assalaam u ALaykum

My understanding of Islam, has made me look at this very interesting issue differently. As I understand, a true muslim is a muslim who has the right understanding of Islam; and practices them. He/she obviously believes that his/her beliefs are absolute truth.

The problem that west have with Islam and the problem with most so called muslims is that neither have the true understanding of Islam.

Islam as I understand is not a rigid or hard religion but a tolerent and flexible religion.

The 'Quran calls our Prophet pbuh ( He is the messenger of peace and blessings for the ENTIRE MANKIND"

The picture of Islam today on the contrary is about an unyeilding terror lead religion depicted by suicide bombing, violation of rights of women and inequality for females. A religion that has no tolerance or flexibility, that depicts human right violations by chopping hands for theft and stoning adulterers.

As I understand there is no such thing as a fundamentalist or moderate muslim, but a "true muslim".

The purpose of religion is "purification" (spiritual cleansing). It entails obediance, worship and humility.After Belief the most important obligation of religion on individuals is Ikhlaqiaat i.e ettiquettes and mannerisms. This means that an individual purifies his/her actions towards both his Creator and OTHER INDIVIDUALS. This is termed Aml i saleh or ( good deeds). Essential religion is Belief and Amal i salah.

The Prophet Muhammad pbuh stated " The best among you are those who are better than others in their ikhlaq i.e ettiquettes and mannerisms. These are the people who are dear to me.On the Day of Judgment among a persons deeds, the ones that will weigh the heaviest are his/her good ikhlaq i.e ettiquetes and mannerisms.

It is our lack of appreciation and understanding of the ethos of our religion that has made us think about being moderate or fundamentalist.

I quote an example, the muslims in Makkah before hijrat were subjected to the worst of punishments. what was the response of our Prophet pbuh. Did he say naouzobillah that he will avenge them when he is victorious or that he said we will resort to suicide attacks.
Hazrat Yasser's family was the first to be martyred, when the Prophet saw them tortured, his response was to this effect" be patient Allah has promised Paradise"

Today "a muslim" feels that he can kill an innocent jew/christian or human being even children and will attain Paradise.

Our incorrect understanding and interpretation of religion and Qur'an has made a significant number of "so called muslims" wrongly belief that it is our destiny or obligation to strive for islamic domination.

The Pope makes a very wrong statement about our prophet PBUH. That Islam brought violance. How do we respond? by violance as if we want to prove his point, by attacking churches burning effergies and even murdering a nun. WE in fact proved his point.

The Islam that I understand is depicted by the journey of Taaif and the response of our prophet PBUH when he was stonned and humilated.He still prayed for their forgiveness. The Islam I believe in says that Patience is even a bigger act than Jihad.

Surah Asr tells us what the religion asks of us.

I ask a question? How did Islam spread? by offering namaz? muslims say namaz at home or mosques that non muslims do not enter. By fasting? no one can see our fast. By pilgrimmage? we perform pilgrammage in makkah ,where non muslims can not enter. By paying zakah? we only donate to muslims. The prophet PBUH spread Islam by his actions, speech, way of living and how he interacted with people as well as dialogue in an appropriate manner. He wa called Sadiq and Amin by the non muslims. History tells us that they would disgree and fight him in the day but if they wanted to leave money or something precious they would still come to him, because thet knew he would not cheat or lie.

As I understand, every muslim is an ambassador of Allah. We must learn and practice the part. Our religion teaches us tolerance, to abide by the rules of the country we live in, People around us , muslims and non muslims are our Allah's creations, how can we hate our Allah's creations.?

The point we forget is that if Allah wants then the entire world would become muslim in an instant. This world was cretaed as a test. For people to us etheir intellect and earn Paradise. Hence Allah has created the diversity.

What does the religion demand from a muslim? three things.

Learn about it in the right manner. Practice it . Teach others. NOT ENFORCE UPON OTHERS. Every person will lie in his/her grave. our obligation is to infom and teach what we know to the one who wants to listen.Remember Abu Talib the prophet of Allah pbuh tried to convert him. he could not. It is not in our power to change the hearts of people. Awareness comes solely form Allah.

If we understand the true Islam we do not have to bother about being moderate or fundamentalist. Islam is a religion of peace and love for others. Simple fact"Jehad" cannot be fought by individuals. It can only be undertaken by an Islamic state. Only if strict requirements are met. Simple fact the Qur'an states that to kill one PERSON (not a muslim) without reason is as if you have killed the entire mankind.

What do we say to people who shout "death to all americans and westerners". Is this what our religion teaches us.

I agree that we need to learn to question.We need to attain a proper understanding of our religion. WE need to potray the true Islam to the West. WE NEED TO BE "TRUE MUSLIMS"

Excellent summary. personally in my opinion i am not sure how any one can disagree with vast majority, if not all, the points raised above.
regards
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, October 7, 2006  -  2:23 PM Reply with quote
So what is this TRUE Islam? How do we follow it. How can we say someone is or is not on true Islam?
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, October 7, 2006  -  3:51 PM Reply with quote
In my opinion,the "understanding Islam approach" presents the explanation of religion, which for me, is the true representation of Islam. This approach is logical and is also research orientated.

"Understanding Islam" refers to the original approach of understanding Islam as understood by the companions of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) which was revived by the prominent scholars Hameed Uddin Farahi (d.1930), Amin Ahsan Islahi (d.1997) and Javed Ahmad Ghamidi ( b.1951). The approach is taught and promoted by the Al-Mawrid institute of Islamic sciences in Pakistan.

This approach of understanding Islam entails an understanding of Beliefs and practices of Islam, based fundamentally on the Qur'an and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

It encompasses an understanding and interpretation of the Qur'an, primarily from within the Qur'an, emanating from its theme, context, sequence and language. It involves an understanding of the Qur'an which also acknowledges interpretation of the verses in the light of the time of revelation and the phase of the Prophetic mission of religious propagation, both of which are determined primarily from within the Qur'an. Sources that are external to the Qur'an are considered to be secondary to its interpretation. It defines The Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ,as those Abrahamic practices and rituals that were revived and where appropriate, adapted by the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and instituted among his followers as integral part of God's religion.

I quote the need for this approach from their booklet.

Every Muslim is aware that the Qur’an has a pivotal role in our religion.

And hold fast to the rope of God together and do not become disunited…. (3:103)

The Holy Prophet (pbuh) has explained that the Book of God is the rope of God that stretches from Heavens to Earth.

The natural outcome of this directive is that whenever Muslims encounter a difference of opinion, we resort to the Qur’an to find its solution. Unfortunately the irony is that we have gross difference of opinions concerning the interpretations of the Qur’an itself, in many instances providing contrasting explanations about its directives. This also occurred because Muslims based their Qur’anic interpretations on unsubstantiated Ahadith, different philosophies and mysticism. They also resorted to blind following of individual interpretations by religious scholars and were reluctant to question their understandings and interpretations. Furthermore the society did not encourage Intellectual inquisition towards the then accepted interpretations and beliefs about religion, to question them was looked upon as being un-Islamic.

In addition to intellectual differences, the more serious issue raised by this multiplicity of interpretations of the Qur’an is that this forms the basis of the vast majority of sectarianism in Islam. Different religious groups have interpreted Qur’anic verses in different chosen ways to justify their beliefs and approaches. Each sect has adopted its own interpretation because isolating a verse from its context can associate multiple meanings to it.

Understanding Islam approach based on the thinking pioneered by Imam Farahi, aspires that when the Qur’an is interpreted in light of its theme, context and sequence, with a firm grasp of its language and taking into account the time of revelation and the phase of the prophetic mission, it reduces possibilities of different understandings from the Qur’an because it uses the Qur’an itself as the first scale for understanding the Qur’an.

According to Imam Farahi:

"There is no justification or place for more than one interpretation in the Qur’an”.

Amin Ahsen Islahi in his Qur’anic commentary, Tadabur-i-Qur’an, writes:

"I have given the complete and required importance to the coherence of it’s (i.e. The Qur’an’s) text. Hence I have utilised the same diction and assertions in its entirety. In fact, I was forced to use the same diction and assertions, because after applying coherence, (The Qur’an) does not allow you to wonder in various valleys (i.e. different conclusions). The true fact becomes explicit right in front (of one’s eyes in such a manner) that unless you are ignorant or blind you would not be able to deny it."

The text of the Qur’an will not accept multiplicity of explanations. This fulfils the obligatory and essential basis for the claim of the Qur’an that it is a balance in whose scales, everything must be weighed in order to ascertain the extent of truth; and criterion or distinguisher of good and evil which like a sieve sifts out good from evil.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, October 7, 2006  -  4:04 PM Reply with quote
I hasten to add that the Studying Islam web site is based on the Understanding Islam approach.

The contents of this course are basically the"Understanding Islam approach".

please also see the web site www.Understanding-Islam.org.

As we read in the Studying Islam course. By taking a verse out of context i.e "Kill those non believers... " whole organisations have been formed that believe that muslims have an obligation to kill all non believers and must strive for domination of Islam. When seen in its true context it was to be interpretated menaing the non believers at the time of the Prophet Muhammad.

In addition, comments about people of Book, that were meant for those who were present at the time of Prophet Muhammad pbuh and on whom Itmam ul Hujjah had occured, have been mis interpreted to mean all the people of Book, including the ones present today who do not even know about the true Islam.

I believe that this approach presents the true picture of Islam and thus paves the way for us to be true muslims.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 8, 2006  -  6:07 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - When seen in its true context it was to be interpretated menaing the non believers at the time of the Prophet Muhammad.
If such is such then why it is called, which is a fact, “Holy Quran is for all the times till the day of the Judgment?”

According to the logic mentioned in the quote, most part of the Holy Quran does not seem to be applicable to the people 1426-27 years and so on after the Prophet’s (peace be upon him) time. Isn’t it?

What do you say? It is just a question. Otherwise I fully agree to your excellent replies about the definition of a true Muslims.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 8, 2006  -  6:34 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: So what is this TRUE Islam?

As pointed out by brother waseem Sura Al- Asr (103) helps a lot.

The Age
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
[103.1] I swear by the time,
[103.2] Most surely MAN IS IN LOSS,
[103.3] EXCEPT those who believe and do good, and enjoin on each other truth, and enjoin on each other patience.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, October 8, 2006  -  10:04 AM Reply with quote
brother! as I understand.The Qur'an defines itself as "Furqan" and "Mezaan" that it is a balance in whose scales, everything must be weighed in order to ascertain the extent of truth; and criterion or distinguisher of good and evil which like a sieve sifts out good from evil.

The verses of Qur'an were sent gradually and completed over a period of 23 years. This was to allow people to develop their faith and develop the resolve to fulfill the commandments of Allah.

We see this in the instructions about fasting and drinking alcohol, there was a transition towards firmness.This, keeping the people and their abilities in mind.

As I understand the contents of the Qur'an include;
1.Al-Hikmah this is the philosophical basis of religion this includes what we need to Believe in.
2. Shariah or Al-Kitab.in other words rules and regulations.These include advice about punishments etc.

both of these, are for ever, for all muslims from the time of Prophet Muhammad to the end of this world.

In addition, The Qur'an also provides us with a historical record of what happened in the past, we see the history of Jews in Al-baqrah , explaining the reasons for their rise and fall, similarly Al-Imraan
tells us about the Nasraanees.We also learn about the nations before them.
In addition to above there are issues that occured at that precise time.Allah's communication and instructions that were appropriate for a particular issue are also quoted in the Qur'an . For example Surah Taubah, contains insructions about circumstances surrounding the battle of Tabuk, it gives instructions to the Holy Prophet about the mushrekeen and munfekeen.It also quotes about the three sahabhi who sought forgiveness after initial refusal to go to war, The Qur'an decides that they will have to wait to see what Allah decides for them and later their forgiveness is accepted.
Similarly the Qur'an also contains the instructions about the nikaah of Hazrat Zainab rta. The instructions to muslims regarding the battle of Badr etc.
In conclusion, there is history as well as Allah's commandments , pertaining to
important events of that time.

As I understand the Al-Hikmah has always been the same form hazrat Adam pbuh. The shariah evolved as the civilization has progressed to be completed in Islam.This was developed according to the needs of that time.

SO to say that "all" instructions of the Qur'an are inapplicable today would not be correct. The Qur'an gives us the philiosophical wisdom about our belief and the rules and regulations.

Two things that we must rememeber.

Firstly, The Qur'an maintains that human beings have not been created blind and ignorant. Religion does not provide guidance on all aspects of life but maintains that human beings have generally been endowed with sufficient ability to solve their inborn guidance (inborn guidance). Religion only provides guidance where human intelelct is unable to make the right decision(revealed guidance). In light of above it is incorrect to call Islam as Nizam i hayaat ( provides complete guidance in all aspects of life). Islam is zavia i Hayaat It is a direction finder and influences our way of thinking and steers us to the right path. When we look at the shariah it gives us maximum punishments for a hand full of issues, the Qur'an deos not give us a penal code for every posisble crime that cna be committed.

Secondly we must be clear about the concept of itamam ul hujjah. It is the sunnan of Allah that whenever a prophet was sent to a nation, until the stage of itmam ul hujjah was not reached, in other words Truth had been revealed to them in absolute term and the only reason the people had not accepted their prophet was either stuborness or envy.that nation was not punished.
We know that Prophet Muhammad pbuh was the last prophet. Now there will be no more prophets.No one person can claim to know the complete truth and be able to present the complete and absolute truth to the people of Book or other non muslims. Thus we cannot say that itmam ul hujjah can ever be acomplished now.In light of above the matter of non muslims and what will happen to them is between them and Allah. We cannot say with authority about anyone if they are denying the truth because they are stubborn or the are not clear. Allah knows best.

Thus we cannot conclude that people of Book or non believers of today should be "punished" or treated in the same way as the ones in the time of prophet Muhammad pbuh.

Lastly! we must think about the purpose of creation of this world. Allah has created this world on the principle of test. If we are rich, healthy or beautiful that is a test, how do we use these gifts. If we are poor ill or in difficulties, that is a test.are we patient or grumpy. On the basis of how we will do in this test our fate will be decided.

As I believe the two essentials are awareness and fear of Allah, that we are being watched, the realisation of accountability on the Day of Judgement.
If a muslim has these then the chances are unlikely that he/she will intentionally do something wrong.

The other aspect is purpose of religion.
"Qad Aflaha man tazaka ""Successful is he, who has cleansed himself" (87;14)
It encompasses positive enhancement and moulding of the good in our soul, and purification and purging of the bad.

I believe that if a muslim thoughtfully and deliberately makes it his/her goal to work on spiritual cleansing, this is the way of mutaqeen and momen.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker