Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
J_Honesty

CANADA
Topic initiated on Monday, October 16, 2006  -  2:47 AM Reply with quote
When one dies

Assalamu alaikum, being a revert, Alhumdililah, I learn more about Islam as life throws new issues to deal with.
When one dies from this world, we can only pray that the time spent in the grave is an easy one and that Allah will have mercy on him/her and open the gates up to the departed.
Being a catholic most of my life, the common thing to say to family members who have lost someone, is "My condolences" which to me, is very generic and somewhat insincere because the phrase is commonly used.
Being a revert, brings me to think about Islam and what can I possibly say to muslim family members who have lost someone beloved. I don't want to say something inappropriate but don't want to be 'generic' either.
Can I have some guidance in terms of what is appropriate to say??
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, October 16, 2006  -  3:53 AM Reply with quote
If I am not mistaken, Muslims normally recite this verse upon someone's passing away:

اناَّ لله و اناَّ اليه راجعون

Indeed to Allah we belong, and indeed to Him is our return

Chapter 2 verse 156

Edited by: oosman on Monday, October 16, 2006 3:55 AM
J_Honesty

CANADA
Posted - Monday, October 16, 2006  -  4:57 AM Reply with quote
Assalamu alaikum ossman, thank you for your reply.
That is the fundamental thing about our time here on earth BUT, on a human to human basis - what can i possibly say to the family?
They are obviously trying to cope with their loved one passing on but I want to call them and offer some sort of 'condolence' but I don't know how to go about it.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, October 16, 2006  -  5:40 AM Reply with quote
As I understand, being a Mulim, we believe that every thing happens from Allah and for a reason. Thus saying "I am sorry" would not be appropriate".One recites the verse quoted by brother Oosman as a reminder to each other and would usually say a prayer asking Allah to make the eternal journey easy for the departed and provide strength and patience to the people left behind.

If possible, visit the family and participate in the funeral. Ask them if they require any help with chores in the next few days. If possible, participate in the burial. It is a stark reminder for our own self of our enivitable journey.
J_Honesty

CANADA
Posted - Monday, October 16, 2006  -  1:21 PM Reply with quote
Thank you for your responses. This has helped me.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker