Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Tuesday, October 31, 2006  -  1:11 PM Reply with quote
Khutbaah in Friday prayers

I would like to ask the opinion of my learned forum friends, what do they think about the khutbaah prior to friday prayers. Does it need to be in arabic which majority of people who are nliving in non arabic countries cannot understand, or could it be in the native language of the country. your thoughts
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, November 1, 2006  -  3:47 AM Reply with quote
As far as my little knowledge is khutbaah must be in arabic because it is considered the part of friday prayer.Just like every salat must be in arabic.

What Imams does of the non arabic countries(I guess), prior to khutbaah they do some bayan in the native language of the country.This is the practice here in Pakistan and in Malaysia as well.I do not know about the others countries.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, November 1, 2006  -  5:11 AM Reply with quote
There is NO NEED to make Arabic compulsory for the Khutbah & it shoud (in fact MUST) be in the native language of the country as its SOLE purpose is to Provide a weekly Guidence to the people.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, November 1, 2006  -  6:46 AM Reply with quote
many thanks brother Ibrahim. Islam is a religion of logic. One wonders in PK or UK. Imam is giving the importand Khutbah but in arabic that majority cannot understand.

The question then is about Waa'z. Are we saying just have khutbah before friday prayers as waa'z is just duplicating it. your thoughts
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, November 1, 2006  -  7:41 AM Reply with quote
U r Right Brother. Wa'z was only started in Non Arabic areas when it was decided that Khutabah will be in Arabic. So when we'll have our Khutbah in our NAtive Languag then there will be NO NEED of any additional Wa'z.
Have U seen any wa'z in Arabic native countries?
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, November 1, 2006  -  8:24 AM Reply with quote
I am grateful for your help brother.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 2, 2006  -  5:39 AM Reply with quote
PREFACE

In substantial number of mosques in different parts of USA, England and some other western countries the Khutbah of Friday is delivered in English or other local languages. My respected brother Dr. Muhammad Ismail Madani, asked me to explain the correct Shari'ah position about the language of the Khutbah. Certain articles have appeared in Urdu for the purpose but the English knowing people cannot benefit from them, therefore, it was suggested by my learned brother that I should write an article in English. The present booklet is meant to fulfill this need and I hope that it will clarify doubts on the subject. I would request the readers to consider the points raised in this article with an impartial and unbaised approach because the matter relates to a very important Islamic mode of worship. May Allah guide us to the straight path according to his own pleasure.

(Mufti Taqi Uthamai)

The Language of the Friday Khutabah.
It is one of the basic requirements of the Friday Prayer that it should be preceded by a Khutbah (sermon) Delivered by the Imam. It is Wajib (mandatory) for every Muslim to attend the Khutbah from the very beginning. Being a part of the Jumu'ah prayer, it has some special rules and traits which distinguish it from the normal lectures given on other occasions. One of these special traits is that like the prayer (Salah) it is delivered in Arabic. All the Muslims have been delivering the Khutbah of Friday in no other language than Arabic, even where the audience does not understand its

meaning. It was in the present century for the first time that the idea of delivering the Khutbah in other languages emerged in some Muslim societies where majority of the audience could not understand Arabic properly. The intention behind this change was that without letting the people understand its contents, the Khutbah can hardly be of a meaningful use for the general people who are addressed by it. Conversely, if Khutbah is delivered in a local language, a very useful message can be conveyed through it every Friday and it can serve as an effective medium for educating people in a wide area of Islamic teachings.

Apparently, the argument seems to be very logical. That is why it has found currency in the countries far from the centres of deeper Islamic knowledge. But before we accept it on its face value, we should first examine it in the light of the Holy Qur'aan, the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet the practice of his companions and the juristic views adopted by different schools of Islamic jurisprudence.

It is true that Islam being a universal religion does not want to restrict it to a particular race or language. The Holy Qur'aan has mentioned in express terms:

We never sent a messenger but in the language of the nation he was sent to.

The Holy Prophet was so keen to convey the Islamic message to all foreign nations in their own languages that he sent some of his companions, like Zayd ibn Harithah to Syria to learn the Hebrew and the Syriac languages, so that he may preach Islam to the nations who did not know Arabic.

But at the same time, we notice that while leaving a wide spectrum of education and preaching open to any language convenient for the purpose, Islam has specified some limited functions to be performed in Arabic only. For example, it is mandatory for every Muslim to perform his five times prayers (Salah) in Arabic. This rule applies to all no-Arabs also who cannot normally understand what they are reciting; rather, sometimes it is difficult for them to learn the exact pronunciation of the Arabic words used in the prayers. Likewise, Adhan is the call for attending the congregation of Salah. It is addressed to the local people. But it is made obligatory that it is pronounced in Arabic. Its translation into any other language is not acceptable. Similarly, while performing Hajj we are directed to read talbiyah in Arabic. The translation of these words cannot serve the purpose. While greeting each other, we are obligated to say in the exact Arabic words. "Peace Upon You" an exact translation of cannot fulfill the requirement of the recognized (masnoon) greeting even though the former expression is more comprehensible for an English knowing person than the latter. Similarly, while commencing an important work it is desirable to say. These specific Arabic words may be translated into English or any other language easily understood by the speaker and the addressee but it will always be preferable to recite the original Arabic words.

The emphasis on exact Arabic words in some such matters is not based on any bias in favour of the Arabic language, because Islam has always been proponent of inter-nationalism rather than nationalism. The Holy Prophet has himself eradicated the prides based on race, colour and language. He announced in his landmark sermon of his last Hajj that:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To see the full article please visit the link bellow.It is very easy job to say some thing about the matter of deen without giving any reference from Quran and Sunnah.We atleast expect from the educated perons not to do that.

http://users.aol.com/_ht_a/iftkhar1398/html/body_f_khutbah.html
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, November 2, 2006  -  6:23 AM Reply with quote
Thank you bro for sharing this with us
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, November 3, 2006  -  10:42 AM Reply with quote
Brother Waseem

I will appriatiate if you could share your thoughts after reading the article I had posted.

Thanks
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, November 3, 2006  -  1:10 PM Reply with quote
Brother Usmani Asalaamu Alaykum.

In my humble opinion and with my very limited knowledge. I totally agree with the argument. I strongly believe that Islam addresses the logic of mind.

My experience of different mosques in UK is that the Wa'az ie the talk before the khutbah is in urdu, english, Bengali and gujraati depending on the location of mosque. I stand to be corrected , but personally I have not been to any mosque in UK where the khutbaah was in the local language.

As explained by brother Ibrahim, logically there should not be any Wa'az. but khutbah in the local language. From what I can undertsand , in the time of Holy Prophet pbuh, as we do today, the khutbaah had two parts seperated by sitting down. In the first part he would address the people and instruct them about the relevant issues and in the second part he would end by saying prayers. As I understand there was no concept of saying Dua or prayers at the end of the salaat as they were offered during the khutbah.The namaz itself is also a dua or prayer as we look at the tarnslation of Fatiha

One other issue which was very important was who recites the khutbah of friday prayers.My limited understanding is that it used to be the head of State and head of local government in other areas who were instructed to deliver the khutbah and lead the friday prayers.

Furthermore, we take the issue of reciting the Qur'an in arabic without knowing the language. The Qur'an is the Book of Guidance, the purpose of this Book is to Guide us.How can we gain guidance if we cannot understand it. Thus it is essential that we either learn arabic and I mean the Qur'anic arabic or a translation/tafseer in the language that we can understand. I feel that listening to the Khutbah , which is in arabic and it seems in some cases read and repeated from a Book defeats the whole object of khutbah.

It has to be in the language of the people and it should address the issues of the day, rather than a repitition.

I would be grateful for you or any other collegue on the forum to improve my understanding.

Allah knows best

in need of your prayers
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, November 4, 2006  -  11:22 AM Reply with quote
Brother Waseem Walaykum Salam

Quote:-In my humble opinion and with my very limited knowledge. I totally agree with the argument.I strongly believe that Islam addresses the logic of mind.

Brother how do you reply the following points in this regards.

1. The consistent practice of the Ummah throughout centuries has been to deliver the Friday-Khutbah in Arabic even in the non-Arab. countries. Why should the contemporary Muslims deviate from the consistent practice?

2. Khutbah is a part of the Jumuah prayer, hence a mode of worship. The modes of worship are not open to our rational opinion. They have certain prescribed forms which must permanent act and should never be changed through our rational arguments. Once this door is opened in one form of worship, there is no reason why other forms are not subjected to similar changes. The Argument in favour of an Urdu or English Khutbah my open the door for an Urdu or English Adhan and Salah also on the same analogy. The ways of worship are meant for creating a sense of obedience and submission. A Muslim is supposed to perform these acts as an obedient slave of Allah, without questioning the rationality of these acts, otherwise throwing stones on the Jamarat of Mina or rushing across Safa and Marwah are all apparently irrational acts; but, being the slaves of Allah, we have to perform these acts as modes of worship. This is exactly what the word 'Ibadah' means. Any alteration in these ways on the basis of one's opinion is contrary to the very sense and philosophy of 'Ibadah' or worship.

Quote:-Furthermore, we take the issue of reciting the Qur'an in arabic without knowing the language. The Qur'an is the Book of Guidance, the purpose of this Book is to Guide us.How can we gain guidance if we cannot understand it. Thus it is essential that we either learn arabic and I mean the Qur'anic arabic or a translation/tafseer in the language that we can understand.

No one stops you brother from learning the Quran and arabic.Once one will do that he will know whats he reciting during Five Salat and Friday Khutbah.As people don’t stop reciting Quran in arabic even after learning the arabic let the Friday khutbah in arabic it’s the act of ibadah like salat if you are very keen to know the content of Friday Khutbah learn it.

Quote:-I feel that listening to the Khutbah , which is in arabic and it seems in some cases read and repeated from a Book defeats the whole object of khutbah..

Brother its very true that both of us knows only a little about our deen.What is the object of Khutbah we don’t know.We got lean it that what is the object of Khutbah.Here is our chance to do that.

In a number of authentic ahadith also, the Khutbah of Friday has been referred to as Dhikr. For example in a Hadith reported by Imam al-Bukhari the Holy Prophet while persuading Muslims to go to the Masjid on Friday at the earliest, has said:

"And when the Imam comes out (to deliver Khutbah) the angels come to listen to the Dhikr (Khutabah).
(Sahih al-Bukhari Vol. 1, p. 121 Hadith NO. 881)

In another narration, the same principle has been established in the following words:

"And when imam comes out (for Kuhutbah) the angels close their books (recording the noble deeds) and listen to the Dhikr (i.e. Khutbah)".
(Sahih al-Bukhari V. 1, p. 127 Hadith NO. 929)

Based on this particular characteristic of the Khutbah of Friday it is admittedly subject to certain rules which are not applicable to normal religious lectures. Some of these rules are the following:

(i) It is a mandatory requirement for a valid Khutbah on Friday to contain at least one verse from the Holy Qur'aan without which the Khutbah is not valid, while in normal lectures no recitation from the Holy Qur'aan is necessary.

(ii) Another mandatory rule is that it must contain some words in praise of Allah Almighty and for sending Salah (durood) to the Holy Prophet while no such requirement is mandatory in the case of normal lectures.

(iii) The Khutbah being a part of the prayer no one from the audience is allowed to utter a single word during Khutbah. The Holy Prophet has emphasized on this principle in the following words:

"If you speak during Kuhutbah on Friday, you commit absurdity."
also has added;

"Whoever says to his friend while Imam is delivering Khutbah on Friday "keep quiet" also commit absurdity."
(Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Jamah Tarmizi and Sunan-e-Nisai)

It is obvious that the words 'keep quiet' do not disturb the Khutbah, nor do they stop one from hearing its contents. Rather, they may induce others to maintain silence. Still, the Holy Prophet ËáËáË has forbidden to utter these words during the Khutbah of Friday. The reason is that the Khutbah of Friday enjoys the same status as the Salah itself. While offering Salah, one cannot even say, 'keep quiet' to stop someone from speaking. Similar rule has been applied to Khutbah also, which is another indication that the Khutbah of Friday is not like a normal lecture. It is a part of Salah, therefore, most of the rules applicable to Salah are also applicable to it.

4. The Khutbah has been held as a prerequisite for the Friday prayer. No Friday prayer is valid without a Khutbah. All the Muslim jurists are unanimous on this point. Had it been a normal lecture for the purpose of preaching, it would have nothing to do with the validity of the Jumuah prayer.

5. It is admitted by all that the Khutbah must be delivered after the commencement of the prescribed time of Jumu'ah prayer. If the Khutbah is delivered before the prescribed time it is not valid, even if the prayer is offered within the prescribed time. In this case, both the Khutbah and the prayer will have to be repeated. (alBahr alRa'iq v. 2 p. 158)

If the purpose of the Khutbah is nothing but preaching or education, it should have been acceptable that the Khutbah is delivered before the time of Jumu'ah prayer and the prayer is offered after the commencement of the prescribed time. This strictness about the time of the Khutbah further confirms that it is a part of the Salah and is subject to the similar rules as rules provided for Salah.

6. If the Imam confines himself to the hamd (praising Allah) and Salah (Durood) for the Holy Prophet and to reciting some verses from the Holy Qur'an, and making some Dua (supplication) and does not utter a single word to preach or to educate people, the Khutbah is held to be valid and the Salah of Jumu'ah can be offered after that. Had the purpose been to educate people, it would have been the main ingredient of the Khutbah to say at least a few words for this purpose without which it should not have been a valid Khutbah. But it has been held valid even without the words of preaching or educating. Sayyidna Uthman delivered his first Khutbah (after he assumed the charge of Khilafat) exactly in this fashion and did not say a single word for the purpose of preaching. Still his Khutbah was held as valid. It was in the presence of the Sahabah but no one from them challenged the validity of such a Khutbah.

This is again a clear proof of the fact that the basic purpose of the Khutbah is Dhikr and not Tadhkir. Being a part of the Jumuah prayer, it is a form of worship and not basically a method of preaching and education.

All these points go a long way to prove that, unlike normal lectures or sermons, certain rules peculiar to Salah have been prescribed for the Khutbah of Jumuah. It is in this context that it has been held necessary that it should be delivered in Arabic only. Just as Salah cannot be performed in any language other than Arabic the Khutbah of Jumu'ah too, cannot be delivered in any other language. That is why the Holy Prophet never tried to direct his companions to deliver the Khutbah in the local language where the audience could not understand Arabic. Even the audience of the Holy Prophet sometimes included non-Arabs, but he never tried to get his Khutbah translated by an interpreter like he did while he spoke to foreign delegations.

After the demise of the Holy Prophet the noble companions conquered a vast area of the globe. Even in the days of Sayyidna Umar the whole Persia and a major part of the Roman Empire was brought under the Muslim rule, and thousands of non-Arab people embraced Islam, so much so that the majority of the Muslims living in Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Egypt were non-Arbs. These new converts were in desperate need of being educated in their own language, so that they may acquire proper knowledge of the basic Islamic rules and principles. It was not the age of printing, publishing and modern audio-visual instruments, therefore, the only source of acquiring knowledge was the personal contact. Still, the companions of the Holy Prophet never thought about delivering the Friday - Khutbah in the local languages, nor did they ever arrange for an interpreter to get it translated simultaneously. One cannot argue that the Sahabah could not speak the local languages, because a large number of them was either non-Arab by origin, like Salman al-Farisi, Suhayb al-Rumi, Bilal al-Habashi or has learnt the local languages, like Zayd bin Harithah.

It was universally accepted that, like the Salah and Adhan, the Khutbah of Friday must be delivered in Arabic, and it is not permissible to deliver it in any Other language, even when the audience are not able to understand Arabic, because it is basically a form of Dhikr or worship, and not a source of education. If the audience understand Arabic, it can also serve a secondary purpose of educating them, but it is not the basic ingredient or the exclusive objective of Khutbah.

I have prayed for you and I also need of your prayers as well.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, November 4, 2006  -  3:37 PM Reply with quote
Asalaamu Alaykum brother Usmani. I am grateful for your very detailed and sound explanation of your points.No doubt your depth and grasp of knowledge of religion is much stronger. Jaza'akallah

My understanding of religion is perhaps more simple.I am happy for any of our learned moderators or other forum collegues to give an explanation and help me improve my understanding.

I am giving you my personal opinion and this is not the opinion of any patricular school of thought.If it is unworthy please ignore it.

As I understand Islam is a religion that addresses the logic.The issue is created because Islam commenced in Arabia and their language is Arabic.

Firstly we ask ourselves. Does the Qur'an state that the friday khutbah must be in Arabic?

Secondly, I am strongly in favour that particularly in muslim countries, Arabic and I mean Qur'anic arabic should be taught as a second language.In UK , French is taught as a second language in schools and we should make efforts to learn arabic. Then we will have no problem in having Khutbah in arabic.Parents in non muslim countries should also encourgae their children and themselves too, to learn arabic.

Thirdly, the issue of namaz and Azaan is in my opinion(and this is still my opinion brother).The essentials are the same, we learn the meaning over the period of time. Majority of muslims recite from the last 20-25 surahs of the Qur'an.If we recite them regualrly we undertsand and learn the meaning. essentially we do know the translation of what we say in namaz and Azaan.

Fourthly. we must ask what is the purpose of khutbah. If it is to teach or educate the audiance then what will be the point of telling them in a language the majority may not understand.

Fifthly.We must ask ourselves what is Waaz and khutbah. Did the prophet pbuh say a seperate waaz and then khutbah or just khutbah. What we are doing is to have a waaz in local language and then khutbah in arabic. is this not because we feel the need of using friday sermon to communicate with our community in some shape or form. We are adding something ie waaz to fulfill it. The question is why not give khutbah in the local language and that will include recitation of Quranic verses with translation, supplications and also advice about issues of the day that we need to know about.

Forgive me if I transgress because of my lack of understanding.As I understand religion, it is the ethos behind the message that is most important to me. To make people undertsand , to deliver knowledge, to answer queries. The current khutbah in our mosque is read from a book of khutbahs that no one can understand.

As I understand that in every act of Islam their is a reason. Fasting is not starvation. Namaz in essence is not exercise but a way to remember Allah. The important thing is why we do it keeping the essentials in mind. does it matter whether the hands are above or below the waist line or whether the rightt foot is straight or flat.

For a very limited period of time, in our mosque ,our imam said that instead of giving a prepared waaz, he will answer queries from the audiance about quetsions they have about Islam.Believe you me it became so enjoyable and interesting, becasue we began to hear the issues and questions of common men, sometimes we are reluctant to ask ourselves.The number in the mosque multiplied by 2 and more importantly people began coming 15-20 minutes early rather than 30 seconds before jammat.

My respected brother, I again stress these are my personal views,please ignore if they are unworthy.If I have transgressed teh limits of religion then I apologise.

Allah knows best
student10

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, November 5, 2006  -  1:26 PM Reply with quote
Assalamo allaikum wr wb,

I think Arabic is the language of Quran, our Prophet (saw) and the language of Jannah. Hence every effort must be made to stick to Arabic and in trying to learn it.

It is basically a verbal language which makes it all the more easier. There are just set rules that you need to stick to. I am currently residing abroad and there is such a lot of interest in learning Arabic that it is simply unbelievable.

Remember that translation can never tell you the exact meaning. Knowing Arabic is such an unexplainable, wonderful feeling because you TRULY feel Allah swt talking to you personally. Really I am serious! The 1st time I experienced it, I was like shocked!

What we need to seriously realize is that Qur'an is a miracle of the language...its all in the words...the words that drove the kuffar of makkah crazy because they were great linguistics..they were struck by its language construction (tashkeel).One arabic-speaking collegue of mine used to tell me that only a student of Arabic can understand and love the Quran. This is because he/she is best able to SEE the message in the amazing word and sentence construction that Allah swt presents.

Plus people who know Arabic letters have already won have the game. Abroad, people are struggling so hard in learning the letters first, i.e. learning how Arabic is written, letters are combined, the sounds, fatha (zabar), kasra (zayr) etc..... I simply feel ashamed of myself.

I have a Russian non-muslim collegue with me who knows many languages. According to her comparitive linguistic analysis, Arabic is the only language with the MOST logical and easy to understand structure. But she said, you know the only hurdle is learning the letters/alphabets.

I mean, we spend more than 10 years of our life and paying quite a lot of fees at school for learning English language, but when it comes to Arabic.........uhhummm...

If you want to start learning Arabic, there are manyyy resources available online, including the most effective http://www.madinaharabic.com/

This has very well planned lessons with SOUND files to listen to the corect accent.

Oh and as for the Friday Khutbah, if you have even the slightest knowledge of Arabic, you can follow

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFridayKhutbah/

This is a great group for receiving Friday Khutbah every week in Arabic as well as English. This not only gives you great knowledge stright from the primary sources but also improves your arabic, as it has been designed in 2 colors to assist learning Arabic.

fe amman Allah.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 6, 2006  -  6:59 AM Reply with quote
Walaykum Salam Brother Waseem.

Quote:-As I understand Islam is a religion that addresses the logic.The issue is created because Islam commenced in Arabia and their language is Arabic.

Not always there is the logic some time we just have to obey the Allah and His Prophet(pbuh) without having any logic.

Quote:-Firstly we ask ourselves. Does the Qur'an state that the friday khutbah must be in Arabic?

Brother to know what Quran says for Friday khutbah see the following which I have copied from the article of Mufti Taqi Usmani Sahib.

1. It is established by authentic resources that the Khutbah of Friday is a part of the prayer and stands for two Rak'at of prayer. Every day, other than Friday, the prayer of zuhr consist of four Rakats, while on Friday the number of Rakat of the Jumu'ah prayer has been reduced to two, and the other two Rakats have been substituted by the Khutbah. Sayyidna Umar the second caliph of the Holy Prophet says:

The Khutbah has been prescribed in lieu of two Rakats. Who so ever fails to deliver Khutbah must pray four Rakat.

2. The Holy Qur'aan has named the Khutbah as Dhikr in the following verse:

"0! believers, when there is a call for Salah (Jumu’ah prayer) on Friday, rush for the Dhikr (Khutbah) of Allah and leave trade. That is better for you if you did but knew!
(Sura Al-Jumu’ah 62 Ayat 9)

Here the word 'Dhikr' stands for the Khutbah, because after hearing the Adhan, the Salah (prayer) does not start immediately. What starts after Adhan is Khutbah. That is why the Holy Qur'aan did not say, 'When there is a call for prayer, rush for the prayer", rather it has said, "when there is a call for prayer, rush for the Dhikr of Allah. It is for this reason that all the Muslim schools of jurists are unanimous on the point that it is necessary upon every Muslim to set out for the Masjid as soon as he hears the call and should reach the Masjid at a time when the Khutbah is yet to start, because hearing the full Khutbah is Wajib (mandatory).

This is sufficient to prove that the Holy Qur'aan has used the word 'Dhikr' for the Khutbah. Dhikr means 'recitation of the name of Allah' as against 'Tadhkir' which means 'giving advice', 'to educate' or 'to admonish'. This is a clear indication from the Holy Qur'aan that the basic purpose of Khutbah is Dhikr and not the Tadhkir and that it is a part of the worship rather than being a normal lecture.

3. At another place, the Holy Qur'aan has referred to the Khutbah of Friday as "the recitation of the Holy Qur'aan". The Holy verse says:

"And when the Qur'aan is recited before you, listen to it carefully and be silent (when he is delivering the Khutbah), so that you receive mercy.
(Sura Al-'Araf. 7 Ayat 204)

According to a large number of commentators the 'recitation of the Qur'aan in this verse refers to the Khutbah delivered before the prayer of Jumu'ah. Here again the word of recitation is used for the Khutbah which indicates that it is very similar to the recitation of Qur'anic verses during performing prayers.

In a number of authentic ahadith also, the Khutbah of Friday has been referred to as Dhikr. For example in a Hadith reported by Imam al-Bukhari the Holy Prophet while persuading Muslims to go to the Masjid on Friday at the earliest, has said:

Quote:-Secondly, I am strongly in favour that particularly in muslim countries, Arabic and I mean Qur'anic arabic should be taught as a second language.In UK , French is taught as a second language in schools and we should make efforts to learn arabic. Then we will have no problem in having Khutbah in arabic.Parents in non muslim countries should also encourgae their children and themselves too, to learn arabic.

I second your opinion.

Quote:-Thirdly, the issue of namaz and Azaan is in my opinion(and this is still my opinion brother).The essentials are the same, we learn the meaning over the period of time. Majority of muslims recite from the last 20-25 surahs of the Qur'an.If we recite them regualrly we undertsand and learn the meaning. essentially we do know the translation of what we say in namaz and Azaan.

Your assumption in my opinion is incorrect, I believe that majority of non arabic muslims do not knows what they are reciting in namaz.

Quote:-Fourthly. we must ask what is the purpose of khutbah. If it is to teach or educate the audiance then what will be the point of telling them in a language the majority may not understand.

I think you have not red my last post carefully,I will request you to please read it then if you are not satisfy with it or with any part of it, so lets me know then it will be positive and productive for us.I like to clarify that its not my words but I have copied it from the article of Mufti Taqi Usmani Sahib.

Quote:-Fifthly.We must ask ourselves what is Waaz and khutbah. Did the prophet pbuh say a seperate waaz and then khutbah or just khutbah. What we are doing is to have a waaz in local language and then khutbah in arabic. is this not because we feel the need of using friday sermon to communicate with our community in some shape or form. We are adding something ie waaz to fulfill it. The question is why not give khutbah in the local language and that will include recitation of Quranic verses with translation, supplications and also advice about issues of the day that we need to know about.

I think Prophet(pbuh) just say khutbah only.As I understand that the language for khutbah can not be changed.I stand to be corrected but in my personnel opinion waaz was added in non arabic societies to educate the people.This is just to take the advantage of gathering, to convey them some message of deen.Friday prayer can be offered without the waaz any way.

Quote:-Forgive me if I transgress because of my lack of understanding.As I understand religion, it is the ethos behind the message that is most important to me. To make people undertsand , to deliver knowledge, to answer queries. The current khutbah in our mosque is read from a book of khutbahs that no one can understand.

Brother we need to study the religion to understand it.To me it is just like if some one comment on any matter of physics without having proper education of it.So chances of giving wrong comments are surely more.

So I will emphasis that first we must educate our self regarding the purpose of Friday khutbah, then it will be easier for us to comment on it.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker