Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Topic initiated on Tuesday, December 26, 2006  -  8:52 AM Reply with quote
Hindus gaga over Quran in Patna

Hindus gaga over Quran in Patna

ibnlive.com

Patna: Forget about fiction bestsellers or celebrity memoirs, the hottest selling book at the Patna book fair is the Quran with more than 500 copies being bought - mostly by non-Muslims.

The high demand among non-Muslim readers for the holy book of Islam has surprised salespersons at the fair, which started Dec 1 and ends Wednesday.

"I sold nearly 500 copies of Quran in the last one week. A large number of people have been inquiring for the book, but my stock is exhausted," said Mushtak Umri, sales manager of New Delhi-based Goodword Book.

Umri said he had never come across such a tremendous response to buy the Quran. He sold around 250 copies of the Hindi translation of the Quran and over 100 copies of the English version.

"Over 75 percent buyers were non-Muslims," Umri added. He sold less than 25 copies of the Arabic and Urdu translation of the Quran.

According to Umri, he had sold nearly 250 copies of the English translation of the Quran at a book fair in Mizoram last year. "That was also a record as Mizoram has a large Christian population," he said.

A salesperson of Maktabe-e-Imarat Sharia said many Hindus purchased the Hindi translation of the holy book. "They told me that they want to read and know Islam from its original text and sources."

Manish Sinha, who was one of those who bought a copy of the Quran, agreed, "We wanted to know more about Islam."

"We came to know about the demand of books on Islam among non-Muslims, it is a good sign," said Ratneshwar, the fair's main organiser.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/hindus-gaga-over-quran-in-patna/28248-3.html
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, December 29, 2006  -  12:09 AM Reply with quote
also had a chance to read a book by Maulvi Abdulkarim recently re: faith and reasoning(A Simple Guide to Islam's Contribution to Science and Civilization) published in 1935 and interestingly it has been foreworded by a Hindu scholar Rabindranath Tagore who writes:

" One of the most potent sources of Hindu- Muslim conflict in India is our scant knowledge of eachother . We live side by side and yet our words are entirely different. such mental aloofness has done immense mischief in the past and forbodes an evil future. It is only through a sympathetic understanding of eachothers' culture and social customs and conventions that we can create an atmosphere of peace and goodwill.With this end in view I started a department of Islamic culture in Visva Bharati a few years ago with the generous financial support of His Exaulted Highness, the Nizam. I am glad to say the experiment has been successful. But work of this sort must be elaborated a hundred fold. Individual educationists and scholars must take it up and I heartily welcome, therefore, the series of articles from my distinguished countryman, Maulvi Abdul Karim, on Islam's Contribution to Science and Civilisation. The writer has clothed his erudition in as simple a garb as possible and the book should have great popular appeal. It is with pleasure that i commend the book to my countrymen."

Rabindranath Tagore

Uttarayan
Santiniketan, Bengal
Aug 19th, 1935
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, January 3, 2007  -  6:33 AM Reply with quote
Koran becomes hit Christmas present

'You can't read the newspaper, listen to the radio or turn on the TV without encountering Islam and Muslims,' said Simonsen. 'So there is a desire to learn what the Koran is about. Some will read it to find out what the Koran says. Others will read it to take part in the public debate.'

The translation has also opened a window for Muslims with an immigrant background who cannot read Arabic, according to Kate Østergaard, a researcher in religion at the University of Copenhagen. She believes the Danish translation fills a need among young Muslims to define and understand their religion.

'Their religion is continually in focus, so they want to look at what is in the Koran and find out what real Islam is,' she said.

Amir Mahdi, 24, a Muslim living in Odense, agrees. He has difficulty reading Arabic, so he was happy to receive a copy of the Danish version from his father.

'The Danish Koran opens doors for me to rediscover my religion and gain a greater understanding for something that means a lot in my life,' Mahdi said. 'Now I can make my own interpretations and go deeper into Islam...

http://www.cphpost.dk/get/99633.html

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker