Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Tuesday, January 16, 2007  -  11:06 AM Reply with quote
Baqrah- Huddalil muttaqeen -first verses

Thalika alkitabu la rayba feehi hudan lilmuttaqeena

This (Al-Qur'ân) is the Book of Allâh there is no doubt in it. It is guidance for those self-restraining people (Al-Muttaqûn)

I would like to ask the views of my learned participants on this verse.
The Qur'an says about itself that it is Book about which there is no doubt. It is a source of hidayat for the Muttaqeen. My question is that

1. is it a source of hidayat for the muttaqeen only?

2. Do you have to be a muttaqi to acknowledge hidayat from the Qur'an that will change one's life.

3 If someone is already muttaqi, then does he still need hidayat?

4 Are we saying that non muttaqi's or non muslims should not read it as they are unlikely to get hidayat from it.?
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, January 18, 2007  -  2:08 PM Reply with quote
salam,

I may be wrong ,but as a beginner of Islamic teachings, I think to be muttaqi(let me take liberty ,if I can translate it as ,soft hearted,one who is ready to accept guidence,or who wants knowledge about what he/she doesnt know.) is the prime requirement of not only divine but any sort of guidence.
This is true for any field or profession.Everyone reads the basic books of "guidence"with an aim to learn from it.

If you are seeking guidence in the field of science and are prejudiced about a particular community then ll have a tough time to accept Law of Conservation of Energy and ''principia''cant help anyone if someone has a predecided and think its a book of stories and its certain equations if pasted on the wall can bring scientific revolution and prosperity in the house.

Muttaqui can also be meant as sincerity which is essential to accept any hidayat,instruction or guidence.
This is totally internal matter and no one can guess who is really ready to accept the guidence ,let all read this universal Book and see if they really qualifies to be a muttaqui.let we not try to be the Judge.
imran776

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, January 19, 2007  -  10:43 AM Reply with quote
Being a student of religion the first thing that I have noticed is the guidance contained within human beings. Here the word muttaqeen is pointing to those who take care of this guidance and don't indulge themselves in any act which is against their divine guidance. If you are not willing or able to take guidance from your fitrat or wajdan then the wahee won't be effective as well.

This is what Quran says that the guidance from wahee is light upon light. (Noor ala noor). The first light is the divine guidance from within humans and if that is being taken care of than any guidance thorugh messangers is extremely easy to absorb.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, January 20, 2007  -  8:14 AM Reply with quote

Yes he still need the hidayat.Allah sees our hearts that how mush the willingness for following of deen is keep incresing in us as the life goes on.So He give us more hadayat/Tufiq for the following of deen on more better way.Muttaqi is the one who willing to accept and apply the knowledge of Quran and Sunnah in his life completly and follow the religion as a deen and not just as Medhab.This knowledge of deen we cannot get our self, to give this knowlege to the people,Allah have send His Messengers.

4 Are we saying that non muttaqi's or non muslims should not read it as they are unlikely to get hidayat from it.?

Muttaqi is not means Muslim, a non Muslim could be a muttaqi and a Muslim may not be a musttaqi.In the following verse Allah asking Muslims to enter into islam perfectly.From here we can say that just be Muslim not means that one is also muttaqi.

O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islam (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islamic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy.
(Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #208)

When the Quran will be presented to a non Muslim if he is a muttaqi, he will accept it and will follow it as a deen.When Prophet(pbuh) strated preching Islam all were non Muslims but who ever was the muttaqi, he accepted the dawah and followed it as desire by the prophet(pbuh).

If some one is not muttaqi even the prophet of the time could not made him to follow the religion as a deen, unless he him self desire it.This is some thing directly controled by Allah Him Self.

Edited by: usmani790 on Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:37 AM
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, January 27, 2007  -  5:18 PM Reply with quote
هُدًى لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ

{guidance is for the Muttaqin (the pious and righteous persons)} means, a light for those who have taqwa.

Hidaya, correct guidance is only granted to those who have taqwa - fear of Allah. Allah s.w.t.said:

وَلَوْ جَعَلْنَاهُ قُرْآنًا أَعْجَمِيًّا لَّقَالُوا لَوْلَا فُصِّلَتْ آيَاتُهُ أَأَعْجَمِيٌّ وَعَرَبِيٌّ قُلْ هُوَ لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا هُدًى وَشِفَاء وَالَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ فِي آذَانِهِمْ وَقْرٌ وَهُوَ عَلَيْهِمْ عَمًى أُوْلَئِكَ يُنَادَوْنَ مِن مَّكَانٍ بَعِيدٍ

And if We had sent this as a Qur'ân in a foreign language other than Arabic, they would have said: "Why are not its Verses explained in detail (in our language)? What! (A Book) not in Arabic and (the Messenger) an Arab?" Say: "It is for those who believe, a guide and a healing. And as for those who disbelieve, there is heaviness (deafness) in their ears, and it (the Qur'ân) is blindness for them. They are those who are called from a place far away (so they neither listen nor understand). (Fussilat 41:44)

and,

وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ مَا هُوَ شِفَاء وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَلاَ يَزِيدُ الظَّالِمِينَ إَلاَّ خَسَارًا

And We send down from the Qur'ân that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe (in Islâmic Monotheism and act on it), and it increases the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers) nothing but loss. (Al-Isra 17:82 )

This is a sample of the numerous Ayat indicating that the believers, in particular benefit from the Qur'an. That is because the Qur'an is itself a form of guidance, but the guidance in it is granted only to the righteous just as Allah said,

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ قَدْ جَاءتْكُم مَّوْعِظَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَشِفَاء لِّمَا فِي الصُّدُورِ وَهُدًى وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ

O mankind! There has come to you a good advice from your Lord (i.e. the Qur'an, ordering all that is good and forbidding all that is evil), and a healing for that (disease of ignorance, doubt, hypocrisy and differences, etc.) in your breasts, - a guidance and a mercy (explaining lawful and unlawful things, etc.) for the believers. (Yunus 10:57)
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, January 28, 2007  -  7:11 AM Reply with quote
quote:

1. is it a source of hidayat for the muttaqeen only?

2. Do you have to be a muttaqi to acknowledge hidayat from the Qur'an that will change one's life.

Dear brother Waseem,

According to the Qur’an, Hidayah (Guidance) is of two types:

Type 1: Faith that resides in the heart. (None is able to create it except Almighty Allah)

Pl see 28:56, 22:272, 7:186.

Type 2: to explain the Truth, give direction and lead to it.

Pl see 42:52, 13:7, 41:17. (also see 90:10 which testifies the above meaning.)

Answer to questions two, three and four will also depend on the meaning of the word muttaqi

quote:

The conventional translation of muttaqi as "God-fearing" does not adequately render the positive content of this expression - namely, the awareness of His all-presence and the desire to mould one's existence in the light of this awareness; while the interpretation adopted by some translators, "one who guards himself against evil" or "one who is careful of his duty", does not give more than one particular aspect of the concept of God-consciousness.(Quran Ref: 2:2 )
http://www.islamicity.com/quranSearch

Further I would like to state that a firm belief (faith)in the fact that the verses are truely the Words of Allah is necessary if one has to benefit from it.
Also, unless one has belief (faith) in the unseen (gaib) one will not take heed from the guidance.

I quote the verse 2:2 and the English translation of its meaning from Muhammad Asad

ذَلِكَ الْكِتَابُ لاَ رَيْبَ فِيهِ هُدًى لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ

2:2 THIS DIVINE WRIT - let there be no doubt about it is [meant to be] a guidance for all the God-conscious

Edited by: aboosait on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:45 AM
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, February 26, 2007  -  5:22 PM Reply with quote
We know very well that every Muslim, whether Sunni, Shia, Brelvee, Wahabi, Deobandi etc do recite Surat Fatiha in every Rakaat of Salat/Namaz. We repeat many times a day the words, (1: 5) which are translated as, “Guide us to the right path”. This SEEMS to be meaning that if, suppose, anyone is 95 years old or more than this and started offering prayers at the age of 5 years, even then after 90 years or a century or more has passed, he/she is still NOT on the right path. On the other hand, if we are SURE that we are on the right path then, “Should we stop reciting the verse (1: 5) in offering prayers, as per need of the TIME?”

Afterwards we recite, “The path of those upon whom you has bestowed favours (1: 6)”. “Are these people (who are bestowed favours) highly educated from some institution?”

Holy Quran doesn’t demand anyone to be highly educated to guide him/her but those who are “Muttaqueen (2: 2)”. A Muttaquee can be a sweeper, street hawker, taxi driver or someone Ph.D. So the Ph.D one has NOT at all any superiority to the sweeper, street hawker or taxi driver etc and the vice versa. A sweeper, street hawker or a taxi driver may be the well guided individuals and it seems to be the open decision of God (2: 2) mentioned in the beginning of His book.

Who are Muttaqueen? I think, God has defined in the subsequent verses (2: 5) as follows.

THOSE WHO

1. Believe in the unseen,
2. And Keep up prayer,
3. And Spend out of what We have given them,
4. And who believe in that which has been revealed to you and that which was revealed before you,
5. And they are sure of the hereafter.

These are on a right course from their Lord and they shall be successful.

Surely anyone who have these five properties will do guard against the evils and will be among the Saleheen, Siddiqueen and Shaheedeen etc and these are the great people upon whom God has bestowed His favours. And Allah Almighty knows the best.

Quote: - 1. is it a source of hidayat for the muttaqeen only?
Quote: - 2. Do you have to be a muttaqi to acknowledge hidayat from the Qur'an that will change one's life?

Both are the same questions and have the same answer, Yes (2: 2).

Quote: - 3. If someone is already muttaqi, then does he still need hidayat?

According to the verse (2: 2) being a Muttaquee is a requirement for getting Hidayat. In other words, we can say, being a Muttaquee is mandatory for entry into the school of Hidayat like for example; a child less than certain age can NOT be admitted into a school.

Quote: - 4. Are we saying that non muttaqi's or non muslims should not read it as they are unlikely to get hidayat from it.?

Yes, according to the verse (2: 2) they (non muttaqi's or non muslims) can read but can NOT get the Hidayat.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, February 27, 2007  -  8:21 AM Reply with quote
In my limited understanding and knowledge. We have to look at these verses like every other verses of the QUr'an , in light of their context and addressee.

Surah Baqrah is addressed to the ahl i kitab in particular the Bani Israel. Thus as I understand it, It states to the ahl i kitab. It is a Book that has no doubt in it and it in fact provides authencity to your gospel and prohets. It is a source of guidance for these mutaqeen ( implying those people who had embraced Islam till then, including the ones from ahl i kitab who had readily accepted the truth when revealed to them. It then explains the qualities of the mutaqeen.

I also enclose the response from a friend on the same subject and this was his view.

Surah Baqarah is a very important surah with various topics that establish our faith. especially first few ayats are extremely important since they describe the characterstic of 3 kinds of people.In quranic terminology 'mutaqeen, kafir, munafiqoon are described in verse1-5,6-7, and 8-20.You cannot read just these two verses and reach to conclusion unless you read verse1-5 that describes the characterstic of mutaqeen.Following are there characterstics
Those who belive in ghayb(unseen world)
[those who establish salah(have develope love of God through prayers)
those who spend freely of their sustance(material and immaterial)
those who believe in all books sent by Allah in past .
Those who believe in akhariah(in accountabilty of their deeds in front of God)

These ayats only describles the characterstic of those who will benefit the most through this book read ayat 5

THEY ARE THE ONE WHO WILL RECIEVE GUIDANCEAND THEY WILL REACH TO POSPERITY.

Just like in a class there are many students. They sit in the class with different intention some just wanted to get good grades and some just wanted to pass. Their concern is limited to grades they are not concerened with knowledge.But there is one student in the whole class who wanted to be there to learn to seek knowledge .Obviously he is concerned about grades but that is not his/her utmost goal. He will learn the most through teachers and get the most of of class discussion. So are those who are mutaqeen with those qualities and sincere search they will recieve the guidance and benefit the most from quran.I have been teaching quran for many years and i hope that this explaination will make things clear.
.Others can benefit as well depends on their inner atttitude.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker