Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
n/a

USA
Topic initiated on Thursday, October 9, 2003  -  8:26 PM Reply with quote
If Allah is needless....

Assalamu Alaikum,

Here is my short question, that I think it would require a lengthy response:

If Allah is needless, why do we serve him? or shall we say serving outselves instead?
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, October 11, 2003  -  9:04 AM Reply with quote
Your question is unclear. How and why are you premising this question on the assumption that God is needless?
n/a

USA
Posted - Sunday, October 12, 2003  -  12:15 AM Reply with quote
It's something that I usually think about. There is no doubt that Allah is needless. Surat Al-Ikhlas, verses 1-5, reads as follows:

Say, "He, Allah (God), is ONE (alone). * Allah (God) is Needless, * He begetteth not, nor is He Begotten, * And there is none like unto Him.

Also, Al-Imran, verse 97 says:

"pilgrimage to the House is a duty imposed on mankind by Allah, for anyone who can afford to do so. Anyone who disbelieves [will find] Allah is needless of the worlds."

Self-sufficiency is the basic criterion for Godhood. Allah is needless. Allah doesn't need people. Then, I ask, why would Allah want us to serve him?! Why are we called servants of Allah?

~Abdullah

quote:

Your question is unclear. How and why are you premising this question on the assumption that God is needless?

Ronnie

USA
Posted - Sunday, October 12, 2003  -  7:43 AM Reply with quote
Salam

Servitude is not the natural consequence of "need." In other words we are called "servants of God" because we are in subjection to Him; we are under His authority. Being in the service of God does not mean we are fulfilling a need.

wassalam
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 12, 2003  -  8:10 AM Reply with quote
I don't think the word needless is used in the sense you have tried to convey. Although i was quite sure, i still consulted four translations none of which has used the word needless.

Needless:

Merriam-Webster
not needed : UNNECESSARY

American Heritage
Not needed or wished for; unnecessary
aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, October 14, 2003  -  3:40 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
I think rendering "Samad" as needless is wrong.
Samad means rock,refuge.Allah is our rock,refuge against all troubles,enemies etc;.
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 4, 2005  -  12:53 PM Reply with quote
With The name of ALLAH, The Infinitely Merciful, The Ever Merciful !
Assalam-u-allaikum !

I am surprised that you Muslims did't give much attention to this crucial confusion. I hope N/A is still visiting this web site.

ALLAH is Absolutely Perfect and is Incomparably Great.
ALLAH doesn't need anything but each and every thing needs HIM.
ALLAH doesn't need worship but worship needs HIM.
ALLAH doesn't need any Praises or Thanks but Praises and Thanks need HIM.
ALLAH doesn't need you, but you need HIM.
ALLAH doesn't need remembrance ,but Remembrance needs HIM.

You know translation is a very critical issue and a slight wrong choice of a word could cause a serious misconception.

The Arabic word Na'budu derived from Abd is confusing you.
Abd doesn't mean servant, Abd means slave. There is a difference between a servant and a slave.
A servant serves the master . But a slave is bound to obey the master (Master may not even need the slave at all). A slave is the exclusive property of his master.

If you have read history, the slaves were the property of their masters and their masters could do anything to them , and no one would dare to ask as the slave was exclusive property of his master. A master could order the slave to do anything and that slave would have to do that task and not even question the master. Slave was not in any kind of employment contract, if the master wanted to give the slave something, fine otherwise the slave would just have to hope good from the master. Master could even kill the slave as he could kill any of his cattle or use any of his property.

Servant is a rather modern term. A servant is a kind of employee. A servant serves his master and is given some payment or wage for that service in return. A servant can object to some policy of the master and master will then have to negotiate with the servant.

regarding the translation issue of Surah Ikhlas.

Say: ‘He is Allah, Absolute Oneness,
Allah, the Everlasting Sustainer of all.
He has not given birth and was not born.
And no one is comparable to Him.’ (112: 1-4)
(An Index to the Qur'an by www.harunyahya.com)

Now Na'budu . Sorry no equivalent english word. And in my opinion , guidance is more important than flow or structure of the translation so....
I will have to try to explain .

Abd = slave

Ibadat = "Full/ All-encompassing/Wholehearted obedience driven by deep/intense love"

Na'budu = do Ibadat for

Abd issue researched partially, using the lectures of respected Dr. Israr Ahmad
(www.tanzeem.org/broadcast/audio)

One more thing ....don't compare ALLAH to rocks . There is nothing like HIM and nothing can give example of any of HIS Perfect Attributes.

asim_iqbal_2nd@yahoo.com

Edited by: asim2 on Saturday, June 04, 2005 6:39 PM
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 4, 2005  -  1:15 PM Reply with quote
N/A you can ask any question about your confusion and if I am still here ( despite some intollerant people ) Insha-ALLAH (If ALLAH Wills) I will try to remove your confusion only by the Help of ALLAH.

asim_iqbal_2nd@yahoo.com option will Insha-ALLAH be always open .

All kinds of Glory Praises and Thanks are for ALLAH Almighty alone. It is only due to ALLAH's Infinite Mercy, Guidance, Care and Blessings that I am trying to be on the straight path. No credit is mine at all. I am nothing at all unless ALLAH makes me something at all . I thank ALLAH for everything.
ALLAH is Absolutely Perfect, The Incomparably Great and nothing is even comparable to HIM. I thank ALLAH Almighty for giving me the Honour and pleasure of trying to obey HIM .
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, June 5, 2005  -  11:20 PM Reply with quote
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

I agree with Asim2.

The Quranic verse “And no one is comparable to Him (112: 4)” clearly gives the answer otherwise unintentionally we befall ourselves to Shirk (Polytheism).

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker