Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
aslam

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Friday, October 10, 2003  -  5:37 PM Reply with quote
Islam and Culture

Assalam-u-Alaikum,
What is the significance of culture in Islam?
Must Muslims adopt and maintain a different and distintive culture?
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 17, 2003  -  12:33 AM Reply with quote
Assalaamu Alaikum.

Personally, I feel that apart from the very basic ritualistic aspect of any religion, its adherents cannot creater a distinct culture. Religion could define it widely but when it comes down to specifics, every area, its heritage, etc. would create differences. That's quite alright. And interesting, don't you think?!

Wasalaam.

Saadia

quote:

Assalam-u-Alaikum,
What is the significance of culture in Islam?
Must Muslims adopt and maintain a different and distintive culture?

aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 19, 2003  -  1:06 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
Thank you for the post!
What do you say about the ahadith wherein MUslims have been warned not to imitate the followers of other religions and Muslims have been urged to be different in their dress etc., from Jews etc.
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, October 20, 2003  -  6:25 PM Reply with quote
Assalaamu Alaikum.

I see your point. This is learning ground for me, so please just correct me where you see me erring - be it in your very own opinion.

I tend to believe that Muslims have only been warned not to immitate practices either un-Islamic in nature or distinct to another religion. As for the dress restriction, Muslims in Medinah were asked not to dress-up in a manner as would drag their clothing on the floor. Jews did so to display arrogance, with the pre-supposition of their own superiority. Clearly, such a practice stood for un-Islamic morals.

There are problems with the other category mentioned as well. For instance, when a Christian baptises his baby. Such a practise is distint to Christianity and stands as symbol for something not close to Islam. Thus, me must refrain from such indulgements.

When I said adopting culture - hence, cultural diversity - it was a different proposition. Muslim men in the sub-continent might want to wear the Shalwar Kameez more often than not. That is their culture. While Muslim men in the States might prefer trousers for everyday use. That is a different culture. So long as both run in conformity with Islamic principles, fine, go ahead!

Diversity and choice gives colour to life.

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker