Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Saturday, May 19, 2007  -  4:51 AM Reply with quote
different concept of forgiveness

it was interesting to hear from a local police rep in a local performance committee visit to the mosque today that 'god's forgiveness possible only if humans forgive'concept of islam was new for them and said this was a news to them and totally different from the concept of forgiveness in christianity
davidsparrow

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 21, 2007  -  10:24 AM Reply with quote
I'm not sure that I understand this sentence. Is the idea that God will forgive only those who forgive others? Is this a tenet of Islam, and is this what the Police rep didn't understand? If this is the case, and he is a Christian (rather that having been born into a 'Christian Country', then I am surprised. The "Lord's Prayer" which every Christian is taught as a child asks God to "Forgive us our sins as we forgive them that sin against us" which implies that if we don't forgive others, we will not be forgiven ourselves. This is not a kind of justice-contract where equal weights are in dispute. The stories of Jesus frequently refer to characters who are forgiven huge debts, but then chase debters for tiny amounts. Our sins are against our fellow men, but also against God. Fortunately the onerous task of sorting this out is not our problem, but God's...
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 21, 2007  -  1:47 PM Reply with quote
no dave;actually what was said was that according to the teachings of islam if one has wronged a person, he/she cannot expect mercy from God, unless that person has forgiven him/her.
the police officer ,chris, was surprised that what media portrays about islam is not this at all. the impression it gives is that believers of islam can murder,kill,snatch,hurt whatever and then please their God by praying,fasting,performing pilgrimage, give charity and be forgiven again

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker