Powered by UITechs
Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Sunday, September 14, 2008  -  12:03 AM Topic is locked
Fasting by Muslims and those before them?

"Fasting has been made for you as it was made for those before you so that you become fearful of God." Al Quran

What is meant by 'Those before you'? Does it mean Jews and Christians?
But they observe fasting for the full day (24 hours, night and day) whereas the Muslims observe it only for the day light, i.e., for 12 hours or so only.

Why this apparent contradiction?
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 15, 2008  -  6:22 AM 
Yes it mean Jews and Christians.
They started observing fasting for the full day of there own. The verse you've quoted states clearly that the same "sawm" was made for them.
It's also possible that Allah may have made it long for them as a punishment as He has made some other religious acts difficult for them as a punishment. Detail of such orders can be seen in Bible. Quran has also pointed out one/two such things.
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 19, 2008  -  11:39 PM 
Ibrahim

Do you mean fasting and for that matter all rituals are a punishment (Isro-ghallaal in terms of Quran) - the harder the sin the harder the punishment? But my perception is that even in Islam originally fasting was for 24 hours and permission for relaxing fasting at night was allowed later on only to condone an omission by Hazrat Omar Farooq.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 20, 2008  -  5:11 AM 
I'm afraid your perception is not correct. in Islam the fast was from Dawn to Sunset from day one. Your mentioned relaxation was actually a clarification as some Muslims was of the opinion that like Jews they are also not allowed to have an intercourse with wives during the nights of Ramadan.
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 22, 2008  -  12:20 AM 
Thank you for the response but excuse me you have not replied to my first query which I repeat here under:

"Do you mean fasting and for that matter all rituals are a punishment (Isro-ghallaal in terms of Quran) - the harder the sin the harder the punishment?"

In fact as Hadees goes the prophet (PBUH) had accepted a lot of ritual obligations during 'Mehraj' and it was only at the instance of Hazrat Musa that he had got those relaxed.

I wonder why Hazrat Musa had so much sympathy for the Muslim Ummah while they hate Hazrat Musa's Umma, the original 'muslims'?

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker