Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Topic initiated on Monday, September 22, 2008  -  12:09 PM Topic is locked
Hindu family observes Roza

"After returning from the Mazhar I sought advice from a Muslim neighbour on the rituals. First I began Roza alone, later on other members of the mamily also joined me. The new entrant, my daughter-in-law, also observes fast with us", he said.
A Shiv Bhakt (devotee) and belonging to a Hindu family, Singh's observing ritual of a different religious tradition was not a smooth affair as he was subject to ridicule both by his neighbours and relatives, in the beginning.

''Even close relatives stopped inviting us during family functions. My children faced awkard awkard situations in the basti and I had to endure insults. Even some members of the muslim community had doubts in my religious integrity and were not happy seeing Roza being observed by an individual in his own style'', recounts Singh.

''However, after realising my honest approach they began cooperating with me,'' Singh, who continues to offer prayers to Hindu gods as well throughout the year and a regular visitor to the famous Baidanath temple in Deogarh during the holy month of Shravan, said.

''I have been observing Roza for the sake of my family's good health. And ever since we members maintain a steady health,'' the patriarch believed.

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20080066262
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, September 24, 2008  -  10:24 AM 
quote:

''I have been observing Roza for the sake of my family's good health. And ever since we members maintain a steady health,'' the patriarch believed.

But that is not the objective of a Muslim when s/he fasts.

Allah s.w.t says,

(translation of the meaning)

O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, so that you may (learn) self-restraint. Al Qur'an, 2:183

And Allah says

"Every deed of the Son of Adam is for himself, except fasting - it is for Me, and I shall reward it myself."

In Hadith, great rewards have been mentioned for fasting. Fasting is a shield. The fasting person has a very high status in the sight of Allah Ta'ala. Any Muslim who fasts a day in the path of Allah, Allah will distance him from the Fire of Hell by a distance of seventy years.

The Prophet said:

"The person who fasts in the month of Ramadan solely for the pleasure of Allah Ta'ala and for gaining a reward for himself, his reward would be that all his past minor sins will be forgiven. The smell which emerges from the mouth of a fasting person is more beloved in the sight of Allah than the fragrance of musk."

On the day of judgement, one would receive great rewards for fasting.

See not what displeases Allah: A chaste regard, restrained from viewing anything that is blameworthy or reprehensible, or which distracts the heart and diverts it from the remembrance of God.

The Prophet, said:

"The furtive (secret) glance is one of the poisoned arrows of Satan, on him be God's curse. Whoever forsakes it for fear of God, will receive from Him, Great and Gracious is He, a faith the sweetness of which he will find within his heart."

Jabir relates from Anas that God's Messenger, on him be peace, said:

"Five things break a man's fast: lying, backbiting, scandal mongering, perjury and a lustful gaze."

The time for fasting is from the rising of the sun until the setting of the sun. Fasting does not only mean abstinence from food. If one does not abandon falsehood in words and deeds, Allah has no need for his abandoning of his food and drink. It is necessary for Muslims to abstain from not only food and drink but also from backbiting, slandering, to lie or deceive, to use abusive language, etc.

Speak no evil: Guarding one's tongue from twaddle, lying, backbiting, scandal mongering, obscenity, rudeness, wrangling and controversy; making it observe silence and occupying it with remembrance of Allah and with recitation of the Qur'an. This is the fasting of the tongue. Sufyan said: "backbiting vitiates the fast." Layth quotes Mujahid as saying: "Two habits vitiate fasting: backbiting and telling lies."

The Prophet (pbuh) said:

"Fasting is a shield; so when one of you is fasting he should not use foul or foolish talk. If someone attacks him or insults him, let him say: 'I am fasting, I am fasting!' "

Hear no evil: Closing one's ears to everything reprehensible; for everything unlawful to utter is likewise unlawful to listen to.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, September 24, 2008  -  10:34 AM 
Deleted because the same post was repeated unintentionally.

Edited by: aboosait on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:38 AM
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, September 24, 2008  -  1:04 PM 
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But that is not the objective of a Muslim when s/he fasts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly...100%true

why dont you see it first that this poor illiterate person has come to this stage of islam with his own efforts.
Can any one among muslims help him to face the hardship he faces alongwith his family.Can anyone available there to tell him stepwise what islam is?

I dont know why we think that one can be a true muslim in a day or in less than an hour.Why we belive someone can start following each and every command written in holy books ,while Allah the most high,took almost 23 yrs to complete his teachings to human through His last prophet .
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, September 25, 2008  -  2:45 AM 
quote:

..........while Allah the most high,took almost 23 yrs to complete his teachings to human through His last prophet .

Do you infer from this that it would take every human being the same number of years if not more to learn and follow those teachings?

The fundamental Rule the Prophet was asked to teach (similar to what the earlier Prophets had to teach) was that none has the right to be worshipped than Almighty Allah alone.

And because he preached in their own language the unbelievers understood the meaning of (There is no god but Allah) - that it means to give up deities and come forward to worship Allah only. That is why they refused to utter these words of Monotheism, for there could not be any compromise with their adoration of Lat, Uzza or Manat, the well known idols.

We notice that idolators and others had affirmed that no one is capable of creation, sustenance and causing life or death except Allah. However, they could not become Muslims by this confession because this alone does not fulfil the requirement of the testimony of faith, "There is no god but Allah".

A suspicion raised by pagans is that by merely uttering the testimony (There is no god but Allah), one is entitled to enter Paradise, even if he held others as equal to Allah and acted in aversion to the articles of faith. They argue so in the light of a Hadith (saying by the Holy Prophet) that "one who utters the testimony of faith, (There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the Prophet of Allah) is protected from the fires of hell." The reply to this suspicion is that the above saying of the Prophet refers to the person who uttered the testimony of faith without acting contrary to it until his death - the person who uttered it whole-heartedly and honestly, and rejected worshipping anything except Allah throughout his life will then be saved from the fires of hell." The Hadith narrated by Atban, states: "Allah has protected from the fire those who said" (There is no god but Allah) seeking only the pleasure of Allah".

This "monotheism" was what the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam preached for 13 years out of the 23 years you are talking about.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, September 27, 2008  -  11:47 AM 
i was concerned with attitude of fellow muslims towards a new revert(hopefully).

Describing this Quranic prohibition, Aisha (RA) says, had such a ban been revealed right in the very beginning, the people would have immediately cried out, "Never shall we leave alcohol nor shall we ever leave adultery."

Gradual change is but the Natural way of change. Islam was able to establish an evil-free society for the first time in history only because it employed this natural method of gradual change. We cannot find an example of such comprehensive success in transforming society on the part of any reform movement in the history of social reform.
http://alrisala.org/Articles/mailing_list/social_change_in_islam.htm
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, September 30, 2008  -  6:21 PM 
Eemaan is a pre-condition for one's a'amaal to fetch rewards in the hereafter.

Al-Baqara (The Cow) 2:217

يَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الشَّهْرِ الْحَرَامِ قِتَالٍ فِيهِ قُلْ قِتَالٌ فِيهِ كَبِيرٌ وَصَدٌّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللّهِ وَكُفْرٌ بِهِ وَالْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ وَإِخْرَاجُ أَهْلِهِ مِنْهُ أَكْبَرُ عِندَ اللّهِ وَالْفِتْنَةُ أَكْبَرُ مِنَ الْقَتْلِ وَلاَ يَزَالُونَ يُقَاتِلُونَكُمْ حَتَّىَ يَرُدُّوكُمْ عَن دِينِكُمْ إِنِ اسْتَطَاعُواْ وَمَن يَرْتَدِدْ مِنكُمْ عَن دِينِهِ فَيَمُتْ وَهُوَ كَافِرٌ فَأُوْلَـئِكَ حَبِطَتْ أَعْمَالُهُمْ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالآخِرَةِ وَأُوْلَـئِكَ أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ

They ask thee concerning fighting in the Prohibited Month. Say: "Fighting therein is a grave (offence); but graver is it in the sight of Allah to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members." Tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you Turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; they will be companions of the Fire and will abide therein.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Monday, October 13, 2008  -  4:50 AM 
quote:

...............why dont you see it first that this poor illiterate person has come to this stage of islam with his own efforts............

If someone takes pleasure in changing his eating habits which are similar to what a Muslim does, do you call it a stage of Islam?

quote:

............Why we belive someone can start following each and every command written in holy books ..................

One would start following the holy books only after one attains faith in it through his faith in the One who sent the book and the one who conveyed the book..

The declaration to be made at the outset is that none has the right to be worshipped besides Allah.
umarbaig

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, October 21, 2008  -  5:20 PM 
Regarding fasting Hindus have the beliefs like those of Muslims.
http://www.helium.com/items/560982-fasting-in-hinduism
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, October 22, 2008  -  6:43 PM 
quote:

Regarding fasting Hindus have the beliefs like those of Muslims.
http://www.helium.com/items/560982-fasting-in-hinduism

ASTAGFIRULLAH

..........In Hinduism, it is believed that our lives are influenced by the nine planets or Nava Grahas. The first seven (Sun, Moon, Mars, mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn) represent the seven days of the week. They are also represented by deities with profound powers.

There are fasts corresponding to each weekday and corresponding deity. Each fast is evocative of beneficial influences.............

Now see what
the Muslims believe.

Al-Hajj (The Pilgrimage)

22:18 Seest thou not that to Allah bow down in worship all things that are in the heavens and on earth,- the sun, the moon, the stars; the hills, the trees, the animals; and a great number among mankind? But a great number are (also) such as are fit for Punishment: and such as Allah shall disgrace,- None can raise to honour: for Allah carries out all that He wills.

Do you now see the difference?

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker