Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Monday, November 17, 2003  -  1:38 AM Reply with quote
Maulana Mawdudi

Assalaamu Alaikum.

Having gone through a couple of threads in this forum, I feel much disappointed at the way in which people conveniently write off Maulana Mawdudi as a political enthusiast.

We may not agree with the man's pursuits to that end, but does it carry with it, the entailment of discounting all else that his work has to offer?

I am also very much agonised at the elements within this particular 'halqa', which completely undermine his comprehension of this religion and The Book, in the face of absolutely better offerings elsewhere.

Allah knows best.

My intent here is not to challenge people; rather, to point out this trend of sorts.

Wasalaam.

Saadia
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  9:54 AM Reply with quote
I am sorry if you have observed a kind of disparaging attitude about Mualana Mawdudi under any of the topics in the forums. He surely is a great scholar and I do not think anyone can deny that as long as he is sane, I must say.

It however does not mean that you have to subscribe to his opinions and that you cannot criticize his philosphy of religion.
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  10:45 AM Reply with quote
Criticising philosophy or components of a philosophy is fine; but completely writing off a person - of his conviction, at least - I agree, is wrong.
aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  2:38 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
No sane person,even slightly aquainted with the work of Maududi sahib,can write him off.He was a great scholar,a mujtahid of a sort.But his obsession with politics made him fritter away his and his followers, prodigious talents and energies in politics.His politics made many people shut their eyes to his superb intellectual work.His obsession with politics made him lose luminaries like Maulana Islahi,Waheduddin khan,Dr.Israr,Maulana Manzoor Nomani, to name only few.
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  8:28 PM Reply with quote
I don't think anyone here has "written off" Mawdudi sahib. You can find instances of that in our religious orthodoxy to the extent that they brand him an "innovator" and refuse to accept him as a scholar, casting aspersions on his tutelage. But then they are known to heap obloquies on anyone who finds himself in disagreement with their position or refuses to be yoked by "received tradition".

As for "elements" in this "halqa", it is true that they take issue with his political thought and may sometimes be scathing in their criticisms but they have never tried to belittle his scholarly erudition nor have they ever denigrated him personally. You can even find a critique in the pages of "Ishraq" directed at Maulana Wahiduddin Khan for personally berating Mawdudi sahib.

It might be due to the respected Saeed Malik sahib's close affinity with Mawdudi sahib and the Jama'at and in turn your strong association with Saeed sahib that you are a little too sensitive about it. Or it just may be that you are right.

I am not at all being sarcastic here or anything of that sort. I hope you won't take it negatively. Just a bit of a Psychoanalysis by me...:)

Wassalam
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  9:02 PM Reply with quote
Assalaamu Alaikum.

Hmm..."Saeed Malik sahib and his affinities with Mawdudi sahib." Quite honestly, when I initiated this discussion, there wasn't a hint of personal relations influencing my thinking and for that matter, my sensitiveness towards him or other issues. No one must ever allow that to happen.

From what I remember, my grandfather was perhaps the first person to leave the jamaat on grounds of disagreement with Mawdudi sahib's policies. His work to date has been well-received in our household, despite the fact that dada abu - may Allah grant him jannah - always expressed disappointment over what had transpired, and "over the opportunity lost because of certain issues with the gentleman at the top".

In fact, if anything, it has maybe been that organisation of thoughts which has compelled me to request all others in this 'halqa' to look at him more sparingly and in an unbiased manner, because hopefully with time, wounds must (be allowed to) heal. And maybe it is in that sense that I actually am sensitive - sensitive towards an insensitive analyses.

Thank you all, however, for assuring me that my fears may at best, be fears.

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, November 18, 2003  -  10:48 AM Reply with quote
I hope things are more cleared up on the topic as discussed by Mr. Razi Allah Lone.

I may have one further reason to offer. We often come across the opinions of people about other scholars through their writings and compositions. I think the main target of Javed Sahib and his students have been to set the diverted intellectual stream on the right path. For that end, they have to criticize the prevailing and perhaps the most strong school of thought, which has been presented by Mawdudi sahib in a well organized and cogent manner. The fears might have been stemming from the critiques and analatical reviews of his understanding of religion.

In any case, you hear some disapproving sentences from anyone. I'd suggest that you post/email direct to them. They might be doing something inappropriate without actually knowing it. Why not remind them and get reward from Allah?

This is not inappropriate to feel a sort of attachment with someone because of personal relations. I wonder if anyone can be cent per cent above so-natural-personal-emotions. This is not in specific relation to the debate that Miss Malik has initiated. I perceive a human will remain a human being, brimmed with emotions and sentiments.

quote:

Assalaamu Alaikum.

Hmm..."Saeed Malik sahib and his affinities with Mawdudi sahib." Quite honestly, when I initiated this discussion, there wasn't a hint of personal relations influencing my thinking and for that matter, my sensitiveness towards him or other issues. No one must ever allow that to happen.

aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, November 18, 2003  -  2:47 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
Saadia,
Great to know that ur the grand daughter of Saeed Malik sahib!I,ve read his books and they have greatly enriched my understanding of Islam.
aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, November 18, 2003  -  2:56 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
Saadia,
I,ve not come across any bad comments about maududi sahib in this forum but I had initiated a discussion about Mawdudi sahib at UI forum.There some brothers had chipped in with some unsavoury comments about Maududi sahib.
Ronnie

USA
Posted - Tuesday, November 18, 2003  -  3:30 PM Reply with quote
Salam,

Although I don't have the insight you all have regarding Mr. Mawdudi, I do know enough to say that I have great respect for him. I stumbled across his writings some years ago and thought to myself, "wow, here's a guy I can understand..." I bought his books and his Qur'an translation and feel that he put his honest to goodness effort in what he did. Regardless whether one agrees with him or not, you can tell from his writing that this man was a geniune seeker of Truth.

Indeed a few (about 2 or 3) people had some "unsavory" things to say at the UI forum. However, when challenged they showed no supportive evidence for their stance. The worst thing they could come up with was that he was not a scholar in the "traditional" sense. All else was either a misunderstanding or a slant on his writings. Only one person had a real aggressive attitude towards Mr. Mawdudi and I believe it has to do with that person's "beliefs."

No matter what anyone says (negatively speaking), Mr. Mawdudi has my respect, for in the least he was a seeker of Truth and an enlightener.

Wassalam

Edited by - ronnie on November 18 2003 15:33:32
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, November 18, 2003  -  7:10 PM Reply with quote
Assalaamu Alaikum.

...in response to brother Ronnie's post, I totally agree. That is what matters the most.

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia

P.S. I am heartened whenever I hear even a single person claiming he/she benefitted from my grandfather's work. It consoles me of his loss, in a way. However, I would like all here to treat me as me, and not the sister or daughter of someone - simply because for one, I don't deserve such respect, and secondly, 'for every soul what it earns'.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, March 26, 2005  -  8:28 PM Reply with quote
I agree with all those who are in favour of Maolana Maodudi in his religious as well as the political contributions.

In general, our every act e.g. sitting/standing, eating/drinking, sleeping/waking, home/office, politics/the withdrawal etc is the religion and for God if we do appropriately.

I do not favour, absolutely, those who consider the heap of books of the religion all the end of the knowledge to be taken as the reference or the source and all the other sources rubbish and useless. And if so then, what was that Islamic knowledge given by the non-muslims to the Muslims, on which the Holy Prophet sws had emphasised and decided, after one of the *Ghazwat*, to release the prisoners on the condition of being taught one Muslim by one non-muslin.

Furthermore it is an exaggeration to attribute the individuals to their ancestors otherwise absolutely NO body has the right to give one’s opinion about the Holy Prophet (sws) attributes, regardless of the matters.

Sorry to say, I favour not to discuss someone personally (as the Moulana) HERE except Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) and His companions OTHERWISE we ourselves, individually, have the top merit to be audited first.

*Ghazwat* (The plural of Ghazwa meaning the battle of Islam in which Holy Prophet sws himself personally had participated)
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, April 1, 2005  -  11:27 AM Reply with quote
I have great respect for Maolana Maodudi .I find my self lucky enough by having red the Tafheem ul Quran.

I am a great admirer of him.The reason is because that he goes in politics.He took the parctical approch to influence the politition who are the caretaker of the socity.

Islamic scholars are doing great jobs for the ummah but these are limited to religious knowledge and understanding the religion only.

To run the country accoding the Islamic way to a extend, depending the strenth of general public one have behind him.That is how the prophet(pbuh) had stablished the model Islamic socity in Madina.

If they follow the Maolana Maodudi's way to inter in the politics,so they surly can do great things for the betterment of nations and can create a Islamic socity.I know this way is not simple, and indeed need lot of support of the public.
martin

MALAYSIA
Posted - Friday, April 8, 2005  -  11:38 AM Reply with quote
Assalaamu alaikum,

Since my reverting to Islam some 40 years ago. I have travelled the world and was not really able to study Islam with anyone because of my constant travelling. After discovering the Books Of Maulana Mawdudi, they became my constant companions, particularly his Khutbahs. I have no knowledge or interest in his political ambitions. I have always found what he said made sense and was reasonable. I owe him a lot.

WAS

Mustaffa
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 11, 2005  -  9:31 AM Reply with quote
Assalam o Alaikum,

Few days back, i read something really harsh on Maulana Maudoodi on a website. It was written as:

"Maudoodi has deviated from the traditional course of the eminent scholors of the Holy Quran. He has selected his own way against the whole Ummat. This is why the righteous Ulema have declared him a Heretic. His abnoxious criticism against the Prophets, Sahaba, Uleama and Mashaekh is a prominent feature of his writings undermining the established authorities and inventing a new modern religion. Tafhimul Quran is an effort of his own imagination."

Now, don't you think that its too harsh..... I asked a question at that website to provide some reference why they are using such words and the reply i received is this:

Maulana Maudoodi write in his pubilaction of Tafheem-ul-Quran Page 412 as under:
The truth is that this question causes another question, which is even more fundamental and important than this and that is whether Hazrat Yousaf was a prophet or not. If he was a prophet then do we find such a concept about a prophet that he may offer his services to promote a system based on infidelity who himself claims to be a muslim. this question leads to another question, which is even more delicate and critical that whether Hazrat Yousaf was a righteous man or not? If he was a righteous person then is it righteousness that on one side while he was behind te bar he started his prophetic mission and informed the egyptians that is that one Allah who is dominent on everything is not better then so many self-made gods? and that the king of the egypt is also one of such self-made gods, and openly clarify his mission that it is only one Allah who can ordain the rule the world over. but at the time of trial he himself becomes the most obedient servant of the Government and rather guard of the Government, which was ruling under the godliness of the king of egypt the root base of which is all the domination of the king & not Allah.

Now, i haven't verified it yet, but I am really shocked to read this reply. I can't even think that a such a renowned scholor is using such words for a Prophet. .

It was also mentiones in the mail that Maulana maudoodi have used such words for other Prophets and Sahaba. They also referred some books which I again haven't read.

I am also looking that someone can verify this, and if it is true then why Maulana Maudoodi is so much popular.

isn't it a strange & shocking info.

Please correct me if there is something wrong in this mail.

ALLAH Hafiz

Edited by: atifrafi on Monday, April 11, 2005 9:35 AM
nadeemsafdar

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, April 12, 2005  -  11:40 AM Reply with quote
Taking the text out of context make it appear different. Please check the pages yourself and read the whole sentences then you will understand what Maulana means by using the words highlighted. Anyone can take verses from Quran and use them against Islamic teaching by using them out of context.
Nadeem

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker