Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Monday, November 17, 2003  -  10:32 PM Reply with quote
Supererogatory Ibaadat - The Purpose?

Assalaamu Alaikum.

What is the reason for supererogatory <i>ibaadat</i>; rather, what do you think? Apart from attaining additional pleasure of the Almighty, can one observe fasts, the immediate purpose being such a thing as getting good grades in an upcoming exam?

I notice this is fast developing as a trend among young Muslim students today. I cannot help but notice the similarity of such dispositions with the Qur'anic claim - i.e. <i>they remember Us in need, but in affluence, it is as if they were never in need</i>. (Of course, this is <i> rivayah bil mana</i>, and my apologies for that.)

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, November 18, 2003  -  11:03 PM Reply with quote
I hope this wasn't a taboo question. If it offended anyone, I sincerely apologise. Wasalaam.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, November 19, 2003  -  10:08 AM Reply with quote
The Holy Qur'an is evidently clear on the purpose on Sal'ah, be of supererogatory or obligatory. The objective is to attain the nearness of Allah. The Holy Qur'an reads:

Prostrate and attain nearness. (96:19)

Observing fasts is also an act which has the only one udnerlying objective, that is, to seek the nearness of Allah. If this supreme objective is kept in mind, I do not see any harm in offering Sal'ah and observing fasts before asking the Lord anyother favor. I find it rather befitting to stand before the Lord in acknowledgement that He has already given us enough and then entreat him for good marks or success in the business or whatever other good wish.

The lesson we get from the Surah Fatihah is the same. We do not forward our 'wish' to be led the right way just as we start off. We first praise Allah, acknowledge His attributes and then go on to ask Him for guidance.

Your concern about the consistency of godly attitude is valid. I have also observed such behavior. People who have a patient undergoing heart surgery would start praying obligatory prayers too in addition to many 'Nawaafil'. However, the only thing we need to do is to educate them. We should not stop them for it might be the time when they are ready to perpetuate their practice, which they usually do in need and give up when the adversity is gone.
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, November 19, 2003  -  6:20 PM Reply with quote
Good enough. Jazakallahu Khairan.

Wasalaam

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker