Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Thursday, January 22, 2009  -  9:32 PM Reply with quote
whats happening in gaza-the other side

Some comments from our Jewish interfaith colleagues:

Dear Hannah
I am encouraged by the fact that a) people are speaking out about not boycotting HMD and b) that you feel comfortable enough to forward such emails to your Jewish friends and colleagues. As troubling as it may be, it is important to know how people feel and what they think. As a Jew, I have received a number of emails from Jewish friends which I have found completely inappropriate as I feel, like the photo comparison you sent, they are missing the point at hand and, even worse, often engender more anger, despair and hatred which does not help anyone.

The situation between the Israelis and Gaza is horrific and I do not know a Jew who doesn’t feel that way (at least they haven’t told me). The problem here is so much more complicated. To me, Israel, as bold as she is acting, is operating from a deeply seeded fear – a fear borne of the photos in the email. People have tried to obliterate the Jewish people before - and quite recently - and when you have an organisation like Hamas that vows to obliterate Israel and the Jewish people it frightens Jews to the very core. One of the perplexing questions people raise about the Holocaust is why didn’t Jews fight back? Why did they march off in droves to camps? There were uprisings, but very few. Some harsh critics even have blamed Jews for playing a hand in their own demise. What about the others who watched on and did not speak out?

Now there is Israel and she is fighting back. And Jews are blamed again and the world sits by and watches (and often blames Israel). One of the many complications is that people argue that Hamas should rule the Palestinians as they were democratically elected. I would love to honour that, but it becomes harder to accept even the most democratic of elections when the elected power is calling for the annihilation of your people and the world watches and says very little.

I was at the peace rally a week ago Sunday in Trafalgar Sq. Six prominent people addressed the crowd of 4000-5000 people. Every single speaker, Jewish and non-Jewish, spoke of peace in the region and a way forward for Israelis and Palestinians alike so that each group may thrive, reach their potential and live without fear and the crowd cheered the entire time. Many participants carried Israeli flags, but the overwhelming message from all of the placards was peace for both sides, peace for everyone. Yet, the press repeatedly covered it as a Pro-Israel rally. Yes, people spoke in support of Israel, but there was tremendous support for the Palestinians as well. Why can people not hear that Jews do want peace in the region?

My point is that I don’t think anyone wants this pain and suffering, but it is complicated and we need to understand and value each other to move forward. Further alienation of the “other” side won’t bring peace any sooner.

Best,
A member of Jewish & Muslim women forum UK

Hennah,
Thank you for sending this. We in the Jewish community are aware of how awful life is in Gaza and that Israel must answer some difficult questions, and the pictures here are a shocking reminder of this. However I really need to comment on what you forwarded as I feel that this kind of presentation is extremely inappropriate and only serves to discourage Jews from understanding the true pain of the Palestinians situation. I should also note that I am incredibly left wing when it comes to Israel. That being said...
The pictures shown of Israeli's pointing guns versus Jews having guns pointed at them come out of very different situations, one where they were being killed purely because of their blood lines at an incredibly efficient rate, versus a situation where they have been attacked and bombed by a people they were living with. While I agree that Israel goes too far very often and is nurturing the next generation of extremists through their violence, it is part of a response to something very different to the Nazi holocaust.
Drawing these parallels is an understandable response, but one which alienates many Jews from the debate as they see the comparison as so proposterous and some even consider it anti-semitic propoganda. I hope that there are things we can do to productively work in what small ways we can to create peace and understanding even if in just a small patch of London.
Blessings to all
A Student Rabbi
www.afan.uk.net

Hi All
I think there is a misapprehension about Holocaust Memorial Day.. it is not ONLY the Jewish experience in Nazi Germany, it is also about Bosnia and Rwanda and the Roma and Jehovah's witnesses and all the other groups who have suffered. We have a special event at West london next tuesday at 6pm which all of you are welcome to attend.
I do feel a false parallel is being made between the Warsaw Ghetto and Gaza. The Jews in Poland were systematically destroyed just because they were Jews. Israel withdrew from Gaza and left the Palestinians alone. We might argue that they should not have closed off the territory once Hamas came into power because it deprived ordinary families of a proper life. We might reasonably say that they should have worked with the Egyptians to stop missile smuggling and the dropping of 8000 missiles on the south of Israel over three years. Certainly what has happened in Gaza is a tragedy, and the recent Reform initiative made sure we sent money to hospitals in Gaza as well as in Israel. What I would like us to say as a group of Jews and Muslims is that we stand together against violence and the intimidation of civilians. That would be the most powerful message of all and one worth demonstrating about.
What I would suggest is that we find a way to discuss at our next meeting in February the future of dialogue post Gaza. We are all upset and confused and angry about the situation and need to find a way forward
All good wishes
Senior Raabi

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker