Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
aboosait

INDIA
Topic initiated on Wednesday, January 28, 2009  -  4:21 PM Reply with quote
Women may issue Fatwas:

important: this article is being circulated to inform our muslim brothers and sisters as to the current affairs affecting the muslims; circulation of this article should therefore not be misconstrued as anything but the sharing of such information.

Women may issue Fatwas: conference

ref: http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi_arabia/10279429.html

Riyadh: Islamic scholars have softened their position with regard to the topic of whether competent women scholars are qualified to issue religious edicts (Fatwas) or not.

“Issuing Fatwa is not restricted to men alone. Well-qualified women scholars can also do it,” this was the message given by the recently concluded Makkah International Conference on Fatwa and Its Regulations.

The “Fatwa Charter,” which will serve as a guideline on the issuing of Fatwas, adopted by some 170 prominent Islamic scholars from around the world, does not contain any provisions that prohibit women from issuing Fatwas.

The eighth article of the Fatwa Charter clearly explains that the scholars, who are pronouncing Fatwas must have the following conditions: “Islam, Justice, maturity, intelligence, and deep knowledge in Islamic rules.” None of the 41 articles of the Charter prevents women from issuing Fatwas.

Meanwhile, Sheikh Abdullah Al Manie, member of the Saudi Senior Scholars Commission, said that it is permissible to incorporate women as members of the Commission and allow them to take part in bodies that pronounce Fatwas as they are like men in performing their religious obligations and responsibilities.

Speaking to reporters, he said that membership in the commission is not at all a monopoly of men, and women have the right to take part in issuing religious edicts.

“Really, I see no objection for women becoming a scholar or mufti or involving in any consultative bodies, provided that she should be keen in protecting her dignity and no mixing with men,” he said.

Naif Al Shahri, a noted Saudi preacher, told Gulf News that it is essential that no Fatwa shall be issued by any individual scholar on a public topic effecting the interests of Muslim Ummah and its future.

“In such cases, the Fatwa shall be announced by a group of scholars.” It is noteworthy that the Makkah Conference highlighted the significance of Fatwa in Islam and its regulations and set the mufti’s conditions and duties.

The scholars also stressed moderation in Fatwa and detailed the problems facing Fatwa and its negative effects.

The scholars made general recommendations for supporting Fatwa and its institutions in the Islamic Ummah.

The conference called on institutions that teach Islamic law to incorporate the basic principles and guidelines for Fatwas in their curricula, as well as to organize frequent panel discussions and meetings to familiarize scholars with the principles of the right method of issuing Fatwas and to warn against the dangers of issuing ill-prepared rulings.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, January 29, 2009  -  5:53 AM Reply with quote
Hyderabad: The first Darul Ifta with women muftis on panel has come into being here. Three women muftis,Muftia Fatimah Aziz, Muftia Syyeda Fatimah and Muftia Rizwana are on the panel. They have been trained in a 2-year Mufti course from Jamiatul Banat in the city.
first Women Darul Ifta in Hyderabad set up in 2003

2.It was the Jamiat-ul-Mominath, Lucknow, that first began training muftias, but few of its graduates are practising clerics. The Hyderabad Jamiat, too, came out with its first batch in 2003.

The real change came when many of the 100-odd women’s mosques in Hyderabad opened their doors to muftias about a year ago.

Jamiat director Mufti Mohammed Mastan Ali insists that the muftias — the face of a changing Muslim society — are not rebels. “They don’t revolt against established religious practices and beliefs. We just felt that sermons from women muftis would attract more women, and a fatwa from a muftia on a women’s issue would find greater compliance.”

The 10 new graduates gave their first sermon last Friday, with a packed all-woman mosque at Asifnagar listening to Amina in rapt attention.

“Our muftias have been practising for almost a year. They have rendered critical and useful fatwas for youngsters,” Mastan Ali said.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060831/asp/nation/story_6680649.asp
In line with his understanding that there is no rigid distinction between 'religious' and 'secular' knowledge in Islam and that all forms of 'useful' knowledge are Islamically legitimate, the Mufti goes on to argue that Islam allows for women to acquire 'secular' knowledge as well, along with religious education. Here, too, he cites the instances of some noted female companions of the Prophet, presenting them as role models for Muslim women today. Thus, he notes, Hazrat Ayesha taught a woman to write, and several other sahabiyat, too, were literate. Hazrat Khansa was said to excel even men in poetry. Sakina bint Abu Abdullah had a good knowledge of astronomy. Hazrat Umm Salim is said to have crafted a weapon. Numerous Muslim women helped the injured in battles led by the Prophet. Hazrat Ibn Masud's wife was a craftsperson and used her skills to financially support her family. Hazrat Asma bin Mukharama used to sell perfumes. And so on.

http://madrasareforms.blogspot.com/2008/01/muslim-women-ulema-reviving-tradition.html
mbellos

NIGERIA
Posted - Sunday, February 8, 2009  -  5:03 PM Reply with quote
Assalamoeleikumwarahmatullahe wabarakatuhu.
My Dear Brothers. Thankyou for such a nice ideaS. But it is still not possible everywhere in the world. Have you thought when these Women will give Fatwas in more numbers and countries, what will happen to them. Our dear Muslim brothers cannot tolerate that their Sisters give Fatwas in Islam. Gender Jealousy, or Gender Competition in decent words, is spread everywhere. Look at this site. There are two or three sisters who are trying to be a part of the forums team and join in the mutual discussions and learning by exchanging views. What is happening to them? After every few weeks or months you find this website full of swearing words for them calling them Prostitutes, Bad women, shameless, Idiots, Low in intellect, Lost, Ignored and what not.I was thinking of joining as volunteer but looking at all this discourages me badly.If my husband looked at these swear words to me, he will kick me out of the house. I think the Ladies working on these forums and teams are very brave and must not be taken for granted by the members or by the management of these websites, The Managers of the website should be more strict to such intrusions and make their filtration systems better if they wish sisters to join. None of them will want their own sisters, mothers, wives and daughters to be called in such a way.
I believe that Muslim women should excel in Islamic learning and knowledge to be specially able to give Fatwas for Women's matters, but without brothers' support they cannot succeed in achieving this.
sista_amina

NEW ZEALAND
Posted - Friday, February 13, 2009  -  8:46 PM Reply with quote
Assalamu alaykom. Where is aboosait gone.
I also think sisters should come forward and get better education to be able to give fatwas or advice, especially in womens issues.

Edited by: sista_amina on Friday, February 13, 2009 9:29 PM
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, February 18, 2009  -  5:05 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Assalamu alaykom. Where is aboosait gone...........
Wa alaimum assalam wa Rahmtullah. Jazakallahu khair. Alhamdulillah I am back.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, February 25, 2009  -  4:50 AM Reply with quote
these are great!
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, April 7, 2009  -  4:57 PM Reply with quote
quote:

.........I believe that Muslim women should excel in Islamic learning and knowledge to be specially able to give Fatwas for Women's matters, but without brothers' support they cannot succeed in achieving this.
Sure they should; both men and women should excel in Islamic learning and knowledge to be specially able to give Fatwas.

Are'nt the brothers aware of the fact that the loving, peaceful atmosphere a mother creates for her baby, her responsiveness to his cues, their almost constant interaction--spoken and unspoken--provide a rich learning environment for her child. Her arms, her voice, her touch, all that a mother is and does, help her child to learn about life, love, trust, communicating, and relating to others?

Hers is an awesome responsibility which can give blessings which are immeasurable.

Edited by: aboosait on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 4:59 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker