Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Saturday, April 4, 2009  -  6:27 PM Reply with quote
Friday Khutbah. Arrogance

yesterday the friday khutbah given by our senior colleague dr ibrahim nasr,(Dermatologist) in our hosp sanctuary was on the topic of Arrogance.

Tips:

Arrogance in heart
Arrogance in deeds
Arrogance because of worldly materials
Arrogance because of being Muslims & thinking high that we are the best because of knowledge & practice(this is very dangerous as it can be a disguising one)
Abu bakar (rA) asked the Prophet (saw) about whether the length of his robes meant that he too was arrogant. The Prophet replied no, and that Abu Bakr was too humble and quick to accept his flaws to be among the arrogant.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, May 10, 2009  -  4:08 AM Reply with quote
quote:

........... on the topic of Arrogance.....

...........Abu bakar (rA) asked the Prophet (saw) about whether the length of his robes meant that he too was arrogant. The Prophet replied no, and that Abu Bakr was too humble and quick to accept his flaws to be among the arrogant.
Does that mean that wearing the pants well above the ankles is a rule for males not that it would indicate arrogance but that it is to be followed with some other motive?

Or is it that rolling up trousers has no basis in deen?

Kindly clarify.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, May 10, 2009  -  7:21 AM Reply with quote
it means trousers above the ankles is not always representing arrogance it's the hearts where arrogance resides and an arrogant pulls on the robes of God by his/her act (because Pride is the robes of God only)
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, May 10, 2009  -  10:29 AM Reply with quote
quote:

.........Abu bakar (rA) asked the Prophet (saw) about whether the length of his robes meant that he too was arrogant...............
It is recorded in the Hadith that Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) said to the Prophet: “O Allah’s Messenger! My garment is somehow long but I manage to keep it from dragging."

Thus the Rule concerning dragging below the ankles or the fatwa of arrogance cannot apply to him because he managed to keep it from dragging

We see that the last part of the Noble Companion's statement itself clarifies the issue. That is why I have been telling you time and again not to take meanings from cut-out portions of Hadith or Verses.

Now in the light of the above please re-examine your statement I quote,.
quote:

it means trousers above the ankles is not always representing arrogance

it's the hearts where arrogance resides and an arrogant pulls on the robes of God by his/her act (because Pride is the robes of God only)

Edited by: aboosait on Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:55 AM
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, May 10, 2009  -  11:28 PM Reply with quote
i also feel that any act which could make one feel arrogant, must be avoided, unless one is confident that he/she is not feeling so. sometimes it could be a particular outfit, or a specific car model~ even a hair-style;one can decide him/herself, what makes them feel proud.
others must not judge though,(e.g. if a lady likes to wear pretty sandals , we cannot judge her being arrogant or a show-off; Allah knows what's hidden in the hearts)
a believer must try to remain positive when it comes to others, and critical wen looking at self~unfortunately, most of us act the other way round
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Monday, May 11, 2009  -  7:01 AM Reply with quote
quote:

i also feel that any act which could make one feel arrogant, must be avoided, unless one is confident that he/she is not feeling so. sometimes it could be a particular outfit, or a specific car model~ even a hair-style;one can decide him/herself, what makes them feel proud.
others must not judge though,(e.g. if a lady likes to wear pretty sandals , we cannot judge her being arrogant or a show-off; Allah knows what's hidden in the hearts)
a believer must try to remain positive when it comes to others, and critical wen looking at self~unfortunately, most of us act the other way round

I do accept that arrogance is forbidden, more so its display.

My question is neither about arrogance nor about the lady's high heels, but about the forbidding or not of men from wearing trousers above their ankles irrespective of whether they are arrogant or not. kindly tell me what the scholar told about this in his khutbah.

I suppose I have made my question clear this time.

I regret my English is not in par with that of the people living in UK
drhennataimoor

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, May 13, 2009  -  6:31 PM Reply with quote
yes i agree , arrogance lives in the heart , and should be recognized inside our ownselves ..... it destroys no body but our own souls ......and no body knows ourselves better than us ourselves... so self purification is very essential
looking at others faults is easy , correcting our ownself is a struggle
shahidas

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, May 15, 2009  -  7:11 PM Reply with quote
Sorry brother Aboosait, i do not know about the Hadith you are refering to but am sure that there is no such restriction in Islam to wear the trousers above or below the ankles.
it was for those particular times when wearing below the ankles was regarded as being arrogant and was not appreciated.

Like the two sisters have pointed out, arrogance lives in our hearts and should be recognized inside our ownselves.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, May 17, 2009  -  5:19 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Sorry brother Aboosait, i do not know about the Hadith you are refering to but am sure that there is no such restriction in Islam to wear the trousers above or below the ankles.
it was for those particular times when wearing below the ankles was regarded as being arrogant and was not appreciated.

Like the two sisters have pointed out, arrogance lives in our hearts and should be recognized inside our ownselves.
Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle, "Allah will not look, on the Day of Resurrection, at a person who drags his Izar (behind him) out of pride and arrogance (Sahih Bukhri - Book #72, Hadith #679)

(4) Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever drags his clothes (on the ground) out of pride and arrogance, Allah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih Bukhri - Book #72, Hadith #683)

And I found the following Hadith in Malik's Muwatta:

Yahya related to me from Malik from al Ala ibn Abd ar-Rahman that his father said, "I asked Abu Said al-Khudri about the lower garment. He said that he would inform me with knowledge and that he had heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, 'The lower garment of the mumin should reach to the middle of his calves. There is no harm in what is between that and the ankles. What is lower than that is in the Fire. What is lower than that is in the Fire. On the Day of Rising, Allah will not look at a person who trails his lower garment in arrogance.' " (Malik's Muwatta Book #48, Hadith #48.5.12

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker