Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, September 3, 2009  -  8:32 AM Reply with quote
Why change your name?

I don not understand how this practice has crept into our society. Why does a wife have to change her maiden name and take her husband's name after marriage? As far as I know none of the Prophet's wives changed their name to his.
Allah says in the quran
"Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5]."

Kindly comment on this and correct me if I'm wrong with my limited knowledge.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, September 3, 2009  -  11:17 AM Reply with quote
we dont need to rename even converts unless their names have a sense of polytheism.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 9, 2009  -  6:25 AM Reply with quote
u r right shah, but it's our tradition & women normally like it too. In west wife is called Mrs. XYZ, & here wives make their husband's name part of their own name & that's all. But It's not compulsory & almost everyone knows it too.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, September 13, 2009  -  3:58 AM Reply with quote
Question:
quote:

Why does a wife have to change her maiden name and take her husband's name after marriage?
Answer:

quote:

it's our tradition

Whose tradition do you mean by "our"?

Edited by: aboosait on Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:58 AM
shehzads

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 18, 2009  -  9:52 AM Reply with quote
This is something cultural. She can keep her father's name as her identity but in certain parts of the world, for all paper work it is convenient to have one family name hence changing to the same surname as husband's. Really I don't think it has anything to do with Shariah or Islam.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker