Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
aslammir

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Friday, January 29, 2010  -  5:28 PM Reply with quote
surah baqarah

what is the basic theme of surah baqarah?
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, February 2, 2010  -  12:08 PM Reply with quote
salam & welcome aslam.
i would love to hear first that wat do u think the theme is. do read the surah once again and let us know. 'coz previously i also used to think that surah baqarah was just a mixture of various complicated issues
Sofian

USA
Posted - Tuesday, February 9, 2010  -  9:05 AM Reply with quote
That is what I think also. I have read it several times and still have a mental wall as to sorting it out. I'm glad to know others have or had that same stumblimg block.
aslammir

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, February 10, 2010  -  1:57 PM Reply with quote
Thank u for ur replies! looking forward to a lively discussion.
I think a call to Islam is the basic theme of Surah Baqarah.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, February 12, 2010  -  6:26 PM Reply with quote
yes it is actually an invitation to have faith in Qur'an and the prophet sws and secondly, there is also the description of the various occasions which describe the breaking of the promises by the jews of the time & for the very reason shifting the leadership from them to bani ismail (sws)
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, February 13, 2010  -  5:32 AM Reply with quote
I may be wrong but the theme is like the preface of a book,which always comes in the beginnig [after a nice prayer].

This preface is a brief account of the previous communities who were given a book and the messenger.

Quran as a book of tazkeer chooses some of the events of these communities to show where they made mistakes.It also tells us how they deserted the commands ,by unnecessary additions they made to the original.

The reader of Quran is expected to be aware of the early history[in brief] or the back ground in which this book(the final version) is needed to be revealed .

Edited by: raushan on Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:50 AM
aslammir

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, February 14, 2010  -  6:20 AM Reply with quote
yes, a charge sheet of the pre-islam communities,esp Jews has been presented to warn Muslims of the pitfalls Jews etc stumbled into and derailed them from the righgt path.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, February 17, 2010  -  5:25 PM Reply with quote
the problem lies in the ongoing arrogance of the present muslim ummah and those going back to the past few centuries as well~imagining ourselves as the 'leaders' to whom the leadership was transferred. this arrogance is clearly visible on individual as well as collective level; "we can commit sins and then go to mecca and get purified with zamzam~coz we are the best of the nations;the rest are all kuffars and dirty, hence will never be able to cleanse themselves."
This is exactly the attitude that bani israel adapted and fell over. we keep forgetting that the pleasure of God and eternal success continues to depend on merit. it was never or will ever be based on the relationship with any of the prophets(sws)
aslammir

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 18, 2010  -  11:52 AM Reply with quote
Deluded and blinkered by their Amaniya[/(wishful desires-based on concoctions)and racial pride,Bani Israeel chose an obstinate attitude to the truth and Islam(embodied in the person of the Prophet(pbuh)and instead stuck to their traditions and the formalistic rituals of the religion. In surah baqarah Allah condems their parochial approach and invites them to the true submission(Islam).It is pity that Muslims are treading the same path as chosen by the Jews of those times and hence they are punished and humiliated by Allah in the same way.
aslammir

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, February 21, 2010  -  6:38 AM Reply with quote
salaams,
Broadly,in how many sections and subjects can we divide Surah Baqarah?
abunoman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 25, 2010  -  6:01 AM Reply with quote
Generally there is no specific theme of big surahs and these deal with a number of topics/subjects.

According to Ibn Kathir (Kaseer) this surah 'Baqarah' deals with one thousand 'ehkam' (orders to obey), one thousand 'khabar' (stories/informations regarding different communities) and one thousand 'munhiyat' (deeds not to be done).

According to ahadith in Saheeh Muslim, Masnad Ahmad, Jama'e Tirmizi and Sunan Nisai:
"In who-so-ever's home this Surah Baqarah is recited, satan (shaitan) uses to runaway from that home".
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, February 27, 2010  -  4:11 PM Reply with quote
quote:

......According to Ibn Kathir (Kaseer) this surah 'Baqarah' deals with one thousand 'ehkam' (orders to obey), one thousand 'khabar' (stories/informations regarding different communities) and one thousand 'munhiyat' (deeds not to be done)...........
Could you tell us where you read that? I have read in the introduction to Surah Baqarah (English translation)Ibn Kathir has written the following words:
quote:

Some of the scholars said that it contains a thousand news incidents, a thousand commands and a thousand prohibitions.
Ibn Kahir has also quoted the following Hadith:
quote:

Imam Ahmad said that Abu Nu`aym narrated to them that Bishr bin Muhajir said that `Abdullah bin Buraydah narrated to him from his father, "I was sitting with the Prophet and I heard him say,

«تَعَلَّمُوا سُورَةَ الْبَقَرَةِ فَإِنَّ أَخْذَهَا بَرَكَةٌ، وَتَرْكَهَا حَسْرَةٌ، وَلَا تَسْتَطِيعُهَا الْبَطَلَة»

(Learn Surat Al-Baqarah, because in learning it there is blessing, in ignoring it there is sorrow, and the sorceresses cannot memorize it.)

Edited by: aboosait on Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:15 PM
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, February 27, 2010  -  4:20 PM Reply with quote
quote:

According to ahadith in Saheeh Muslim, Masnad Ahmad, Jama'e Tirmizi and Sunan Nisai:
"In who-so-ever's home this Surah Baqarah is recited, satan (shaitan) uses to runaway from that home".
Shaitan cannot enter such a house. Here is the Hadith:
quote:

In Musnad Ahmad, Sahih Muslim, At-Tirmidhi and An-Nasa'i, it is recorded that Abu Hurayrah said that the Prophet said,

«لَا تَجْعَلُوا بُيُوتَكُمْ قُبُورًا فَإِنَّ الْبَيْتَ الَّذِي تُقْرَأُ فِيهِ سُورَةُ الْبَقَرَةِ لَا يَدْخُلُهُ الشَّيْطَان»

(Do not turn your houses into graves. Verily, Shaytan does not enter the house where Surat Al-Baqarah is recited.) At-Tirmidhi said, "Hasan Sahih.
shehzads

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, April 11, 2010  -  7:23 AM Reply with quote
All the Surahs of Quran seem to have a thematic background. For example the theme of Surah Momin, Chapter number 40 is that the people who rise for the invitation to Tawheed or oneness and supremacy of God, He is responsible Himself for their help and support. As opposed to this, the arrogants will be doomed.
aslammir

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, April 11, 2010  -  8:01 AM Reply with quote
Thank u Shehzads for ur reply! How many sub-themes Surah Baqarah have?
shehzads

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, April 11, 2010  -  7:36 PM Reply with quote
Good Question aslam but if you are testing me, then I rather you tell us :P

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker