Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
tweety

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Saturday, April 17, 2010  -  1:04 PM Reply with quote
Saudi female poet whose verse inflames and inspire

Salaams everyone,

Please read this and listen to the 4 minute cut on the side of the article- I'm so so proud of Muslims and the British press (especially the BBC) right now- I can't believe they've reported this so fairly. Independant, Timesonline- everyone took an agenda. The BBC's agenda has minimal close to no discrimination. We should be really proud of this lady;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8587185.stm

'Saudi female poet whose verse inflames and inspires'

Using a traditional verse form native to the Arab Peninsula's nomadic tribes, she writes critically about the country's hard-line Muslim clerics, calling them: "vicious in voice, barbaric, angry and blind"... Condemning the violence that she says lies beneath their religious messages, her poems speak of some of the clerics "wearing death as a robe cinched with a belt" - an apparent reference to suicide bombers' explosives belt.

I know the world is a small village - from my heart I wish peace and love for everybody

Hissa Hilal

Why would the BBC report this?

Wsalaam ^_^
samra

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, April 21, 2010  -  8:17 AM Reply with quote
This is really cool. I wish our Pakistani sisters have this zeal to learn and share.
sheila

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, May 15, 2010  -  10:10 PM Reply with quote
Islamophobia- beautifully explained by an Indian Non-Muslim woman writer & activist. A slap on the face of fascism!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnTS9gHCZoI

Edited by: sheila on Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:51 PM
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, June 18, 2010  -  3:54 PM Reply with quote
Samra Pakistani women are learning and speaking out , in educational institutions the number of girls enrolled is sometimes more than boys, girls are securing top positions winning scholarships. They are writing articles, hosting TV. shows reading news etc. The problem is all this is limited to cities but the women in villages need our support and encouragement.
samra

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, June 21, 2010  -  12:53 PM Reply with quote
Thank you Saba. There is no doubt in it. But as Khan mentioned in her writings, these are the places you will find Pakistani women, but no progressive women survives there in religious organizations at a level of decision making bodies and working committees in administration etc. because they realize that after reaching a certain level they get blocked! This could be because deep inside the same concept of gender discrimination still prevails in a religious mind because of the misconceptions about Islam and women's role.
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, June 21, 2010  -  2:07 PM Reply with quote
You are right and if women want to say something they have to make their own organization like Farhat Hashmi and she is only surviving because she supports the conventional views of a woman.
Women in Pakistan probably cannot be in a place of decision making as far as religious organisation is concerned because they would probably be threatened by religious extremist and the threats would be carried out unless they abide by the rules they lay down. Men are under threat because of suggesting a minor shift from the norm let alone a woman asking to be heard as an authority on religious matters.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker