Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Ruksar_Jabeen

INDIA
Topic initiated on Sunday, December 4, 2011  -  6:08 AM Reply with quote
hadith

asalamualikum wa rahmutuallahi wa barkathahu, i have a small doubt can you plz help me out???
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, December 5, 2011  -  12:59 AM Reply with quote
walaikumassalam Jabeen, we are here to

discuss, share our views and ask

questions when in doubt. so please go

ahead ask your question.
Ruksar_Jabeen

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, December 6, 2011  -  2:27 AM Reply with quote
asalamualikum wa rahmutuallahi wa barkatahu,thank you for giving a reply. one non-Muslim person asked that "in many hadiths its written that prophet mohammed(pbuh) said do not swear on any thing except Allah,then in the quran Allah has swear so many times taking the name living things like stars,sun,the mecca etc.
after listening this question i got little scared and as i am still a beginner i was not able to give him the proper answer can you please help me....
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, December 7, 2011  -  1:56 AM Reply with quote
Walaikumassalam, Please click on the link http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/issue/content.aspx?id=603
this is a long document, start reading from the heading iv Frahi's Theory which primarily explains that such oaths in the Quran are not meant to swear by these things. They are meant to bear witness to certain premise.
samsher

INDIA
Posted - Friday, December 9, 2011  -  6:37 AM Reply with quote
quote:

asalamualikum wa rahmutuallahi wa barkatahu,thank you for giving a reply. one non-Muslim person asked that "in many hadiths its written that prophet mohammed(pbuh) said do not swear on any thing except Allah,then in the quran Allah has swear so many times taking the name living things like stars,sun,the mecca etc.
after listening this question i got little scared and as i am still a beginner i was not able to give him the proper answer can you please help me....

salaam

2:224 tells us not to take God's name subject of our swearing:

"And do not make God’s name the subject of your swearing in order to appear righteous, pious, or to attain credibility among the people. God is Hearer, Knower."

Samsher
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, December 11, 2011  -  1:34 PM Reply with quote
[There are certain other issues regarding women also that you must know] and for your oaths9 do not make the name of Allah an obstacle to deal kindly and to observe the limits of Allah and to make peace among men, and [you should know that] Allah knows all and hears all. He will not hold you liable for your oaths sworn inadvertently. But He will take you to task for oaths sworn with your heart’s intention and [in reality], Allah is forgiving and lenient10. [So] those who swear to abstain from their wives11 must wait four months. If they change their mind, Allah is forgiving and ever-merciful12; but if they decide to divorce them, [know that] He hears all and knows all13. (224-7)

9. This verse is a prelude to the directive of ‘اِيلَاء’ (ila) the coming verses state. The implied meaning is that since swearing by the Almighty is tantamount to calling him to witness a person should in no way swear an oath that infringes upon the rights of the Almighty or those of His creation; however, if by chance a person happens to swear such an oath, he is directed to break it. A person should in no way embark upon usurping the rights of others or evading deeds of piety and virtue merely on the excuse that an oath has been sworn. The words ‘أَنْ تَبَرُّوا وَتَتَّقُوا وَتُصْلِحُوا بَيْنَ النَّاسِ’ which delineate this fact are explained by Imam Amin Ahsan Islahi in the following words:

The words ‘بِِرّ’ , ‘تَقْوى’ and ‘اِصْلَاح’ encompass all deeds of virtue. The word ‘بِِرّ’ embraces all virtues that relate to the parents, the relatives, the poor, the orphan and other members of the society. The word ‘تَقْوى’ covers all virtues that relate to the Almighty and ‘اِصْلَاح’ include all virtues that relate to the society [in general]. (Islahi, Amin Ahsan, Tadabbur-i-Qur’an, 2nd ed., vol. 1 (Lahore: Faran Foundation, 1986), 529)

10. The implied meaning is that one should indeed break all such oaths; however, this does not mean that a person will not be held accountable for such oaths. The Almighty will not punish him for an oath that is sworn without intention and purpose which a person just utters involuntarily. However, He shall punish a person for oaths which are sworn intentionally and voluntarily through which a pledge is made or which influence the rights and obligations of individuals or affect divine injunctions in any manner. As is the general rule for a sin, he will need to atone for it through sincere repentance; however, as 5:89 specifies, he will also have to compensate for it in the prescribed manner.

11. The actual word used is ‘اِيلَاء’. This is a term of the Arab Jahiliyyah society which means to swear an oath to sever sexual relations with one’s wife. Such an oath leaves the wife in an indefinite state and is as such against virtue and piety. Consequently, the Almighty has fixed a four month period after which a husband must decide to either resume the marital relationship or to divorce her.

It is evident from this directive that it is not allowed to sever sexual relations with one’s wife without a valid reason. So much so, if a person swears such an oath, he must break it. Such relations are the right of a wife and if a husband does not fulfill them, then he can be regarded a criminal both in the eyes of the law and before the Almighty in the Hereafter. In return, the wife also does not have the right to refuse compliance with these relations without a valid reason.

12. Although this oath was sworn to usurp rights and it is not lawful to swear such oaths, but if a person mends his ways the Almighty shall forgive him.

13. The implied meaning is that if a person decides to divorce his wife then he must abide by the rules and regulations that the Almighty has prescribed in this regard. He hears and knows everything. Excesses committed against someone else will not remain concealed from Him.

FOR MORE DETAILS pl see:
http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/issue/content.aspx?id=185
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, December 12, 2011  -  4:45 AM Reply with quote
Salam Ibrahim Sahab, thank you so much for valued comments your contribution is always welcome and well appreciated.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Monday, December 19, 2011  -  2:41 PM Reply with quote
quote:

...........2:224 tells us not to take God's name subject of our swearing:

"And do not make God’s name the subject of your swearing in order to appear righteous, pious, or to attain credibility among the people. God is Hearer, Knower."

Samsher

Verse 2:224 commands "The Prohibition of swearing to abandon a Good Deed" and not what you have written above. Here is the Verse and its meaning. Please compare with what you have written above.

وَلاَ تَجْعَلُواْ اللَّهَ عُرْضَةً لاًّيْمَـنِكُمْ أَن تَبَرُّواْ وَتَتَّقُواْ وَتُصْلِحُواْ بَيْنَ النَّاسِ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ - لاَّ يُؤَاخِذُكُمُ اللَّهُ بِالَّلغْوِ فِى أَيْمَـنِكُمْ وَلَـكِن يُؤَاخِذُكُم بِمَا كَسَبَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ حَلِيمٌ ﴾

(224. And make not Allah's (Name) an excuse in your oaths against doing good and acting piously, and making peace among mankind. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower (i.e., do not swear much and if you have sworn against doing something good then give an expiation for the oath and do good).) (225. Allah will not call you to account for that which is unintentional in your oaths, but He will call you to account for that which your hearts have earned. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Forbearing.)

Allah commands, `You should not implement your vows in Allah's Name to refrain from pious acts and severing the relations with the relatives, if you swear to abandon such causes.' Allah said in another Ayah:

﴿وَلاَ يَأْتَلِ أُوْلُواْ الْفَضْلِ مِنكُمْ وَالسَّعَةِ أَن يُؤْتُواْ أُوْلِى الْقُرْبَى وَالْمَسَـكِينَ وَالْمُهَـجِرِينَ فِى سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ وَلْيَعْفُواْ وَلْيَصْفَحُواْ أَلاَ تُحِبُّونَ أَن يَغْفِرَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ﴾

(And let not those among you who are blessed with graces and wealth swear not to give (any sort of help) to their kinsmen, Al-Masakin (the poor), and those who left their homes for Allah's cause. Let them pardon and forgive. Do you not love that Allah should forgive you) (24:22)

Continuity in a sinful vow is more sinful than breaking it by expiation. Allah's Messenger said:

«وَاللهِ لَأَنْ يَلَجَّ أَحَدُكُمْ بِيَمِينِهِ فِي أَهْلِهِ آثَمُ لَهُ عِنْد اللهِ مِنْ أَنْ يُعْطِيَ كَفَّارَتَهُ الَّتِي افْتَرَضَ اللهُ عَلَيْه»

(By Allah! It is more sinful to Allah that one of you implements his vow regarding (severing the relations with) his relatives than (breaking his promise and) paying the Kaffarah that Allah has required in such cases.)

This is how Muslim reported this Hadith and also Imam Ahmad.

`Ali bin Abu Talhah reported that Ibn `Abbas said that what Allah said:

﴿وَلاَ تَجْعَلُواْ اللَّهَ عُرْضَةً لاًّيْمَـنِكُمْ﴾

(And make not Allah's (Name) an excuse in your oaths) means, "Do not vow to refrain from doing good works. (If you make such vow then) break it, pay the Kaffarah and do the good work.'' This was also said by Masruq, Ash-Sha`bi, Ibrahim An-Nakha`i, Mujahid, Tawus, Sa`id bin Jubayr, `Ata', `Ikrimah, Makhul, Az-Zuhri, Al-Hasan, Qatadah, Muqatil bin Hayyan, Ar-Rabi` bin Anas, Ad-Dahhak, `Ata' Al-Khurasani and As-Suddi.

Suporting this view, which is the majority view, is what is reported in the Two Sahihs that Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari narrated that Allah's Messenger said: .

«إِنِّي وَاللهِ إِنْ شَاءَ اللهُ، لَا أَحْلِفُ عَلى يَمِينٍ فَأَرَى غَيْرَهَا خَيْرًا مِنْهَا إِلَّا أَتَيْتُ الَّذِي هُوَ خَيْرٌ وَتَحَلَّلْتُهَا»

(By Allah! Allah willing, I will not vow to do a thing and then see a better act, but I would do what is better and break my vow.) Muslim reported that Abu Hurayrah said that Allah's Messenger said:

«مَنْ حَلَفَ عَلى يَمِينٍ فَرَأَى غَيْرَهَا خَيْرًا مِنْهَا فَلْيُكَفِّرْ عَنْ يَمِينِهِ، وَلْيَفْعَلِ الَّذِي هُوَ خَيْر»

(Whoever makes a vow and then finds what is better than his vow (should break his vow,) pay the Kaffarah and perform the better deed.)

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker