Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Junaidj

CANADA
Topic initiated on Saturday, May 1, 2004  -  12:58 PM Reply with quote
Faith in Tolkein's work through Gandalf

On a believer's responsibility
Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf

On Hudood punishments
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Dont be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."- Gandalf FOTR

On Sin
"Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again."- Gandalf FOTR

On a simpleton's faith
"Generous heart should not be checked by cold counsel" - Gandalf ROTK

On despair
Frodo: I wish the ring had not come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you!

Just for fun
"Mercy!" cried Gandalf: "if the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What do you want to know?"- TTT
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 3, 2004  -  3:12 PM Reply with quote
peace/

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you!

indeed a v. important message there. i remember the beloved's sws saying re: time here,the youth--the best time:
in which buisness thou spent the hour?

On a simpleton's faith
"Generous heart should not be checked by cold counsel" - Gandalf ROTK

v.v. important! i wish people realize how a generous heart is hurt by a cold counsel!
xxbasxx

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 3, 2004  -  8:19 PM Reply with quote
On a believer's responsibility
"Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf

wut i understood from this is that we shud not polute and let other ppl (the NEXT generation)suffer. the ozone layer bla bla... if global warming keeps getting worser and worser still, we won't suffer. our kids will.

right....?

same with war. if a neuclear bomb falls in say japan (or rather fell because this actualy HAPPENED) the deformaties wil continue for ages. (ask any japanese person who livs where that bomb fell)

it doesnt seem fair. if i throw a banana peel on the floor, some poor guy/gal is gona com walking along, whistling away, enjoying their beautiful day and then slip and end up with a neckbrace for 8 to 12 weeks..not only are his/her curses aimed at ME i have officialy ruined a banana peel's reputation. this person wil probably never look at banana peels the same way agen. sales may go down by only 0.33%. im not being paranoid, its true. 1 smal thing can ruin the lives of hundreds of people.

the neckbrace person, the banana peel, the neck brace person's children and grandchildren... etc. all their lives r gona b lead difrently.

if thats wut gandalf was trying 2 say of course. thats wut i gatherd anyway. remember, 2 people can luk at the same thing and see something completely difrent.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxx
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Monday, May 3, 2004  -  11:42 PM Reply with quote
>>remember, 2 people can look at the same thing and see something completely different.

That is why folks at Renaissance are trying to present the case that only after careful analysis should a stance on an issue be taken.

Now let us look more carefully at what Tolkein says through Gandalf.

>>Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world

A believer's responsibility is curtailed by his sphere of influence, interaction and authority. He is not responsible for some killings in Timbuktu (though he may condemn them), but surely is when he fails to rear his child properly, neglects in his duties toward others etc etc.

>>but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know,

This defines that a believer is responsible within his sphere of influence and authority

>>so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

This clearly says that responsibility to eradicate evil comes about in concern for future generations. For instance if a Muslim govt. passes laws that allow for indecency, then the present Muslims will do all in their power to stop it.

>>What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.

And if despite their best efforts they fail then surely a man cannot be held accountable. We can only try but cannot say for certain that what we wanted will for sure happen in the future.

More quotes:

On Jihad when the lives of your women and children are in peril
Fight! Fight to the last man. Fight for your lives. - Gandalf in ROTK

You are soldiers of Gondor, no matter what comes through that gate, you will stand your ground! - Gandalf in ROTK

On expecting death
Pippin: "I didn't think it would end this way."
Gandalf: "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take."
Gandalf: "The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it."
Pippin: "What, Gandalf? See what?"
Gandalf: "White shores. And beyond, the far green country, under a swift sunrise."
Pippin: "Well, that isn't so bad."
Gandalf: "No. No, it isn't."

Edited by: junaidj on Monday, May 03, 2004 11:45 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker