Powered by UITechs
Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
student1

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Tuesday, June 15, 2004  -  1:24 AM Reply with quote
Is compulsion necessary in religious duties?

Asalamoalaikum

I have heard many times from my parents that at the age of 7, it becomes compulsory for the child to pray namaz and if he doesnot pray namaz, then his parents should compell him to do it?
I want to know that is this common understanding true in the light of Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet(pbuh) since their is a verse in the Qur'an which explicitly mentions "Their is no compulsion in religion"?
Waiting for the reply

Allah Hafiz

Regards,
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, June 15, 2004  -  7:59 PM Reply with quote
Salaam.

I think, so long as children are not mature enough to think independently and be conscious of the taught right and wrong, their upbringing - development of preferences and inclinations - depends upon their parents. Till such time that maturity and independent decision-making strikes children, they are the parents responsibility, and for such a time, the latter will be held responsible.

In light of this, ahadith too stress the importance of properly training children to offer their prayers, etc. I am not sure of the significance of age 7 mentioned in the ahadith, particularly. Perhaps, someone else with more authority on hadith can shed some light?

In any case, at young ages, if parents try to make regular "namazis" out of their children, that's not enfocement or compulsion. That's a responsibility and requirement. It becomes enforcement or compulsion only when you become mature enough to make your own conscious decisions.

Wasalaam.
Tariq Hashmi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, June 23, 2004  -  5:59 AM Reply with quote
salmas

What follows is the text of the referred to Hadith ascribed to the Prophet (swS):

Tell your children to pray when they are seven years old and discipline them if they don't when they are ten years old.

Though the narrative is often quoted in disicussion in this regard but i could not find the source and am therefore am unable to say anything regarding the authenticity of the report. However, one think clear that the narrative has not been reported in more reliable sources of Hadith.

Even if we take it as authentic saying ascribed to the prophet (Sws) it cannot be accepted an independent religious directive. It is an established fact that Islam does not require the blievers to compel others into submitting before God. Every one is free to act what way they like. The narrative too does not necessary say that one should force childern in that early age. The word 'Muroo' does not necessary mean oblige them. There is no denying the fact that in Islam all the religious obligations are applied only to adult and mature members of the society.

The Prophetic exhortation in fact comes under the Qur’anic directive where believers are exhorted upon striving to save themselves and their family from the Fire. It means that a believer is required to teach religion to his family members and exhort them on obeying God. We love our children too much to let them fall in the smallest of mistake. We try to inculcate every good in them and keep them away from evil of every nature. Therefore it is very natural for a father to wish for his child to be a good believer and knowledgeable in the religious obligations.

The narrative should be seen in this perspective. We see that the Prophet has urged the believers to start training the children when they are seven and discipline them when they are ten.

This is only in reference to the parents and their obligation toward the spiritual growth of their offspring that the prophet said so. As regards the children they are not obliged to offer regular prayer in before they are mentally mature. The time this maturity differs with any two individuals.

student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, June 23, 2004  -  7:10 AM Reply with quote
Asalamoalaikum

Mr. Tariq thank you for your detailed reply, i would appreciate if you quote the reference number of the hadith which you just quoted in your reply above.
According to this hadith, parents should train their child in prayer when he is 7 years old and discipline him when he is 10 years old, but what if the child doesnot obey his parents during his training for namaz and avoids following the instructions of his parents,then what should be the reaction of Parents towards their child?
As you know that namaz is a one of the most important pillars of Islam and every muslim should offer namaz.

Allah Hafiz

Edited by: student1 on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 7:30 AM
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, June 25, 2004  -  7:37 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Though the narrative is often quoted in disicussion in this regard but i could not find the source and am therefore am unable to say anything regarding the authenticity of the report.

This Hadith has been reported in Sunnan Abu Da'ood , No. 417, the chain of reporters is credible except for the fact that Yahya Bin Mu'iin crticizes Abdul Malik Bin al-Rabee', one of the reporters.

This Hadith has also been reported in Sunnan al-Tirmidhi No. 372 and al-Daarmi No. 1395. According to Imam al-Tirmidhi, this Hadith is Hasan Sahih (fairly authentic). In both these later sources, the word 'teach' has been used instead of 'command', the rest of the report is same.

According to the Sharah of Abu Da'ood, this Hadith addresses the parents and guardians and pertains to both boy and girl. The purport of the report is that parents/guardians should teach their children initially and when they come to age in which they make sense of what 'admoniton' is all about, they should be admonished if they do not offer prayer. The Hadith though uses the word 'Darab', which means 'beat', this should be understood in the overall perspective of Islam generally and the character of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) particularly. I mean to say that neither Islam nor the Holy Prophet (pbuh) condones beating of anyone at an individual level. The Shariheen has explained this word as Darab Ghaira Mubrahin ,which means to hit without causing any injury. To my mind, it should be understood as admonition. When we usually warn our children, we often use words like Agr Tum Nein Ye Naa Kia To Mein Tumhari Tangain Thoor Doon Gha (If you did not do this, I would break your legs), but the intention of breaking legs is actually not present.

student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, June 25, 2004  -  6:32 PM Reply with quote
Mr. Jhangeer

Thank you once again for your reply ,i really appreciate that you have quoted the references and sources of the Hadith for me.

Allah Hafiz
Regards,
Tariq Hashmi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 26, 2004  -  6:00 AM Reply with quote
Thank you brother Jhangeer for the reference and insightful comments.

what if the child doesnot obey his parents during his training for namaz and avoids following the instructions of his parents,then what should be the reaction of Parents towards their child?

The answer could vary with different of a single parent. We need to use the best method that can help us achieve the goal. In some cases scolding or even beating could help and in some others these may prove harmful for the purpose. Therefore one cannot come up with a suggestion applicable in all cases.

Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Saturday, June 26, 2004  -  7:59 AM Reply with quote
>>The Shariheen has explained this word as Darab Ghaira Mubrahin ,which means to hit without causing any injury. To my mind, it should be understood as admonition.

Has the word Dharab been used for the verse in Al-Nissa wherein it mentions successive actions for nushooz of 'admonish', 'nullifying of intimate relations' and finally 'beating'? I suppose if it has been used then it actually means beating as opposed to admonishing, for two reasons:

1) The directives on nushooz increase in intensity.

2) A different word/term has already been used for admonishing.

Further proof:

http://www.understanding-islam.org/related/text.asp?type=discussion&did=133

In one of the narratives ascribed to the Prophet (pbuh), in Muslim: Kitabu'l-Hajj he is reported to have used the words: "Dharban Ghaira Mubarrihin" (a beating that is not severe). However, it is not possible to state in an objectively determinable manner when does a "beating" cross the limits of being "light".

ON A SEPARATE NOTE:
Finally, will someone please attempt to reconcile the two verses of Al-Nissa in the separate topic. I have as yet received no response from the scholars I have addressed this question.

Edited by: junaidj on Saturday, June 26, 2004 8:05 AM
Tariq Hashmi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 26, 2004  -  11:41 AM Reply with quote
My understanding of the narrative regarding children is that parents may punish thier children on important matters. There is no need to explain that the punishment should be ghair mubarrakh for people do not break the bones of their sons and disfigure their faces. Only an accentric and drug addicted parent can go to that extent. Such a person needs to be treated and does not understand what morality and the religion guides to and cannot be reasoned with on these grounds.

Edited by: tariq hashmi on Monday, June 28, 2004 6:32 AM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker