Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Saturday, March 12, 2005  -  11:26 PM Reply with quote
A Parameter- Aims and Objectives of Islam

Assalamu’alaikum,

For interpreting Quran and Ahadith, I follow the traditional approach learned from my forefathers. I favour the modernism but confuse and fail to find the way. If we take the word modernism I can understand that Islam is the modern religion to all the others and this concept is perhaps deceiving others. But we have to appreciate and acknowledge the understanding of others (modern) too who want to help to live in the times of today.

So far as my knowledge is concerned, I have thought A PARAMETER to assess the approaches (modern or traditional) that is to know “Aims and Objectives of Islam”. The approach that would be found more near the aims and objectives of Islam must be declared as, more right to follow, removing all the confusions.

So, what are aims and objectives of Islam and how they can influence the way of our understanding? Furthermore if we agree on the modern one then we have to change in the subsequent years accordingly. Would we have to divide Islam, for example, into various periods like Islam of 1990s, 2000s, 2010s etc. If so then what will happen to the different peoples after 100 years to give any reference of the past. Does not it seem to create more something like Shia, Sunni, Brelvee, Deobandi etc.

My mind is not preoccupied. I would do agree if anybody succeeds to improve the understanding.

Wassalam!
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, March 17, 2005  -  9:22 PM Reply with quote
You have not taken my question neutrally and seriously.

The aims and objective of Islam in general must be the same all the times. No body must disagree here although with changing time, till the day of resurrection.

If running with time is only the aim then non muslims who are many time more fast, must be declared as Super Muslims.

What are the needs of humans not fulfilled by Islam in the past, are being tried to be done today. The people seem to be deceived well by the their thinking about the modern religion- Islam, understanding it to be modernised at their own without knowing its aims and objective. This understanding is far away from the soul of Islam. Open Quran and read the aims and objective, which perhaps you have overlooked. As far as I have understood modernization is nothing but to find the way where there is a will.

The attitude seems to be more prejudicial even than Shia Sunni now a days and this way is strongly against any chance of survival of the thoughts of modern people, in the future.

>>>This makes you very suseptable to brainwashing and irrational behavior.

If you are more realistic and know the soul of Islam then do my brain washing for which I have written otherwise must be ready to be brainwashed.

CONCLUSION: I disagree on your conjectures.
Irsalfwalsh

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, March 18, 2005  -  12:08 AM Reply with quote
with the name of Allah,

great generosity we have to reflect, introducing the modern approach, if we want to convince others. many prejudicial comments by the people of modern thoughts, blaming others, sweep at different sites and this attitude seems not to be in the favour of the promotion.

Salam!
Irsalfwalsh

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, March 18, 2005  -  12:10 AM Reply with quote
Salam to all,

Some references from “A New Method of Interpreting the Quran” at the following link:

http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/topic.aspx?topicid=1283&lang=&forumid=1

Tariq Hashmi 30)

assalaam o alaikum!

I am not sure what faults you have discovered with the traditional approach. I would request you to consider the traditional approach in interpreting the Qur'an and also the contemporary view which emphasizes some points which are not that manifest or are absolutely absent in the previous works. It would do your mission a lot to good to be acquainted with them. In all the disciplines the available knowledge helps the learner go further.
I also could not understand what would be these principles. Can i interpret Shakespeare without learning the language in which it was written? Can i give new meanings to what the words were actually used to mean?
I would again request you to first consider the previous approaches. Once we have understood them we will be able to see the shortcoming in them and develop a new one.
I would also like to make it clear that i do not oppose your view in the least. I just want to point out the fact that we are here to understand the previous works and then we might be able to do better.

waseem 957)

Regarding Hadith one must remember one other thing. If a teacher is giving a lecture in class and there are let us say 30 students. It is possible that at the end of the same lecture the interpretation and understanding may be different among those students.

Yusufally(2842):

Please don't let yourself be dazzled by the glitter and pomp of the so-called modern states. They are not worth imitating. Scratch the surface and you will find emptiness.

vinod (2344)

Another point I'd like to make is that you've generally painted a very negative image of scholars who follow the traditional schools of interpretation. It is my humble suggestion that you allow them a chance to critique your understanding. Not all of them are as hardened as we may imagine them. Many may actually help your cause, inshaAllah. Also, there may be many sound principles in the traditional schools, which can be used in furthering our own understanding.

salam
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, April 12, 2005  -  10:38 PM Reply with quote
Assalamo’alaikum

Thank you Irsalfwalsh for the valuable posts.
AmrBassiouny

HONG KONG
Posted - Wednesday, April 13, 2005  -  7:08 AM Reply with quote
@Irsalfwalsh

Let's say one day a man comes and posts all the arguments which are against Islam and ignores all the arguments which are for Islam. This man is biased and his info is not reliable.

Let's say one day a man comes and posts all the arguments which are against Amr Bassiouny and ignores are the arguments which are for Amr Bassiouny. You are free to complete the sentance.

Loveall, i suggest that you read my refutations to those comments. If you still disagree, then I agree to disagree.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, April 15, 2005  -  12:16 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: Let's say one day a man comes and posts all the arguments which are against Islam and ignores all the arguments which are for Islam. This man is biased and his info is not reliable.

What a beautiful way of becoming unanswerable? How many are listening to you?????
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, April 15, 2005  -  12:46 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE: Yusufally(2842):

Please don't let yourself be dazzled by the glitter and pomp of the so-called modern states. They are not worth imitating. Scratch the surface and you will find emptiness.

I appreciate and admire the words. May You live long…………..
AmrBassiouny

HONG KONG
Posted - Friday, April 15, 2005  -  1:13 PM Reply with quote
quote:

QUOTE: Yusufally(2842):

I appreciate and admire the words. May You live long…………..

That was actually the easiest comment to refute and the weakest argument of them all. If you think that those who rule, dominate and control your everyday life are shallow and weak, then you yourself are far lower on any standard.
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, April 16, 2005  -  12:25 AM Reply with quote
The people adapting modern islam are anxious about their life only in this world never after their demise or the day of judgement. They wish to get rid of any difficulty of this life and live an aristocratic life here using islam the purpose of which is not being easily understood but within the near future. They either don’t believe in the day of judgement- reward or punishment or give it the very secondary importance. This sense makes them several yards away from the soul or purpose of islam otherwise antimuslim agencies are more anxious for this short lived life.There might be some conspiracy against islam.
I may like the modern thinking but not by every false justification which they are failing at their best to impose to others.
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, April 17, 2005  -  1:17 AM Reply with quote
@Loveall,

before I just jump into any conclusion Y not i ask if u can clearly define/explain;
your parameters, Traditional and modern interpretation of Islam.

Edited by: gohar on Sunday, April 17, 2005 1:18 AM
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, April 17, 2005  -  11:23 PM Reply with quote
Dear gohar,

I mean, What are aims and objectives of Islam, to determine the way (traditional or modern)? The answer will define the difference, if any.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, April 17, 2005  -  11:41 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: That was actually the easiest comment to refute and the weakest argument of them all. If you think that those who rule, dominate and control your everyday life are shallow and weak, then you yourself are far lower on any standard.

WHAT IS YOUR STANDARD??????????????????

CAN YOU DEFINE IT CLEARLY, which is my original question??
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 18, 2005  -  12:35 AM Reply with quote
loveall,
I know that bit, may b i was nt able to put question clearly?
i ll put it like this,

1-what do u mean by traditional and modern ways?
---do u mean the methods been used by us to interpret Islam?
---or our perception of Islam?

2- to define aims and objectives of Islam?
---do we have to change our way/methods/processes of thinking in interpreting Isalm?
---or we have to change our perception of the overall object Islam and then start thinking in a different manner?

3-what bit we need to change first?

Edited by: gohar on Monday, April 18, 2005 12:56 AM
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 18, 2005  -  12:56 AM Reply with quote
Gohar,

Ignore anything. Tell me the aims and objectives of Islam nothing else.

You can read my original post again to know further.
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 18, 2005  -  1:16 AM Reply with quote
Dear loveall,
According to my understanding so far...the aims and objectives of islam is to enable the humans to live and prosper in peace and freedom from all fears except Allah.

.....Now I wud like to add that the aims and objectives i defined in here was sincerly what i percieve from my beliefs, which again includes my broughtup, my personal experiences of the worldly affairs, my conciousness, conscience, limited academic information and my imigination of God and vision for myself (humans).

Thats y I want to come to ur parameters again n wud like to proceed with it to understand it betterly...

ur quote: ----For interpreting Quran and Ahadith, I follow the traditional approach learned from my forefathers.

when u say the traditional approach....do u mean the ways, the technicalities applied to explain Quran and ahadith. Like the the methods of forced logic used, the inablity of scientific methods.
---or u mean the perception of the translators towards the commandments.
---or the intentions of the translators/rulers towards the ppl
---or the inabilty of the ppl to understand the real essence of islam.

Now which one is traditional.....?
The reason is that we need to know the areas we want to bring change into...?

Edited by: gohar on Monday, April 18, 2005 11:52 AM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker