Page 1 of 5

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Mizan

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Thursday, August 25, 2005  -  12:30 AM Reply with quote
Music

Salaam

i know music is Haraam, but its very big umongst the youth, so i was just thinking, in one effort to try and divert some of the people (that i know) away from music that tells them to have sex, drink, have drugs sell drugs, can i pass them songs that get them to atleast think, if not religiously, then politically, is it alright to atleast give them an alternative that is a lesser haraam compared to what they listen to?
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, August 26, 2005  -  8:17 AM Reply with quote
Wa Alaikum us Salaam Dear Mizan

Plz note that MUSIC is NOT haram in Itself. We JUST need to avoid those MUSIC that can LEAD us to WRONG things. There is nothing WRONG in religious OR national Songs & Music.

I hope this Helps
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, August 28, 2005  -  9:26 PM Reply with quote
I explain, Ibrahim, your reply by the following example.

Drinking alcohol is forbidden in Islam, perhaps because it makes the drinker drowsy, delirious, disoriented, staggering and unconscious etc. It must be remembered that those people who are habitual of drinking do not suffer from these conditions. Like you said, the music, which does not direct us to the wrong things is not haram, please tell, Is any dose of alcohol (except used for preparing the medicine) which does not cause the drinker drowsy, delirious, disoriented, staggering and unconscious etc, not haram??

It must be remembered that music is not such a thing, which was not present at the times of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and his companions (Ra) i.e. it (music) was present those times. I mean to say any sort of music is not flawless in Islam only if any example is found used by the Prophet (peace be upon him) and his companions (Ra).
Mizan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, August 28, 2005  -  9:41 PM Reply with quote
all doses of Alcohol are haraam, even medicinal, i was addictedt o music, but now i just find it easier just to listen to certain types that have good messages behind them, now you might say listen to the Qur'an etc, but its Haraam to listen to thew Qur'an for entertainment,i heard its even haraam to listen to lectures for any other purpose except for learning and there times in the day where i want to listen to something to be entertained.

i'm just trying to provide an alternative for the urban youth thats all
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, August 29, 2005  -  8:07 AM Reply with quote
Brother Loveall, PLZ don't MIX the things. Music & Alcohol Can NOT be Combined as the TWO r Totally diffirent things. Alcohol, as u've Described too, Even it's ONE drop is NOT free from its WRONG effects.BUT that's NOT the case of MUSIC. Only when ONE will listen the WRONG music, wrong EFFECTS will/can appear, So HOW the TWO things can be taken as SAME.

& Do U KNOW that Our Prophet allowed the Girls to keep on BEATING the DUFF on Eid day when Hazrat Abu Bakar asked them to STOP.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, August 30, 2005  -  1:06 AM Reply with quote
There is NO mixing of the two but it in the sense of the harmful effects you described.

I have also heard about the permission of the prophet (peace be upon him) but could not find any reference.

If allowed, why girls only and why did stop by Hazrat Abu Bakar (Ra)?
oosman

USA
Posted - Tuesday, August 30, 2005  -  4:15 PM Reply with quote
Here is the reference for you:

Sahih Bukhari:

Volume 2, Book 15, Number 70:

Narrated Aisha:

Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) came to my house while two girls were singing beside me the songs of Buath (a story about the war between the two tribes of the Ansar, the Khazraj and the Aus, before Islam). The Prophet (p.b.u.h) lay down and turned his face to the other side. Then Abu Bakr came and spoke to me harshly saying, "Musical instruments of Satan near the Prophet (p.b.u.h) ?" Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) turned his face towards him and said, "Leave them." When Abu Bakr became inattentive, I signalled to those girls to go out and they left. It was the day of 'Id, and the Black people were playing with shields and spears; so either I requested the Prophet (p.b.u.h) or he asked me whether I would like to see the display. I replied in the affirmative. Then the Prophet (p.b.u.h) made me stand behind him and my cheek was touching his cheek and he was saying, "Carry on! O Bani Arfida," till I got tired. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) asked me, "Are you satisfied (Is that sufficient for you)?" I replied in the affirmative and he told me to leave.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, August 31, 2005  -  9:39 AM Reply with quote
Thankyou Brother for Providing the Reference.

I hope that NOW it wud be Clear for Mr Loveall that Hazrat Abu Bakar Didn't stop them BUT just wanted to DO so & Prophet (pbuh) Stopped him.
aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 1, 2005  -  1:09 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
Please check the following links:
http://www.understanding-islam.com/related/search.asp?searchstr=music&lookin=1&x=15&y=9
aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 1, 2005  -  1:30 PM Reply with quote
salams,
please for a complete discussion check the March,April and May issue 2005 of Monthly renaissance www.monthly-renaissance.com
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 1, 2005  -  11:43 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - Hazrat Abu Bakar Didn't stop them BUT just wanted to DO so & Prophet (pbuh) Stopped him.

As you interpret the Quranic verses after seeing their context, can it be done like that with the Ahadith?
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 2, 2005  -  7:09 AM Reply with quote
No Brother, It is NOT possible to interpret a HADITH w ref. to the Context AS most of the Time Hadith will NOT have any Context. What we need to DO regarding Hadith IS to interpret them in the LIGHT of Quran & Sunnah
hossamking

USA
Posted - Saturday, September 3, 2005  -  7:32 PM Reply with quote
refer to the hadith in sahih bukhari about music being forbidden
Abinzain

SAUDI ARABIA
Posted - Saturday, September 3, 2005  -  8:16 PM Reply with quote
Salaam wa alaikom,

No doubt Music is Haraam and no doubt MOST of the scholars are agreed!

Music is one of the ‘Fahshaa’ or ‘Laghw’ about which Noble Qura’n strictly forbids. And also Quran says, do good deeds. So what is goodness in the music? If anyone says about the entertainment, music doesn’t relieve any inner or outer worries and grieves but only the remembrance of Allah is the remedy, which does so!

If someone questions, what is the badness in the music? The answer is that the music directs towards the evils. No one can stop listener of the light music to listen the other types of music. If the bud grows it then develops into a powerful branch of the tree and so on. So the Muslims must refrain to bow the seeds of evil and irrigate them.

In addition, music is used as the part of worship by some nonmuslims e.g. Hindus beat the drum; Christians use some other instrument and etc. Therefore the prophet sa also forbade us playing all the musical instruments even for the entertainment (I will present reference of the Hadith very soon). Here the Muslims must refrain again to promote the nonmuslim ways of life. They have no authority to islamise everything, which is not Islamic or every evil can’t be fitted into the framework of Islam.

If some Hadith permits the girls at some special occasion it doesn’t imply giving permission to all other muslims and apply it everywhere. Why didn’t prophet sa and his companions entertained themselves by the music? Is there any example if we want to hear music and apply the Hadith everywhere?

I again emphasise no doubt Music is Haraam and no doubt MOST of the scholars are agreed!

Sincerely,
Abinzain
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, September 4, 2005  -  2:52 PM Reply with quote
Why are you so hard headed? If music is haram, then do not listen to any hamd, naat, any duf, any beautiful recital of the Quran, any glorification of Allah's majesty, etc. Because this all also comes under the category of music.

If Allah subhana o taala has not made something haram, then who has the right to make it haram? Prove from a verse from the Quran what you are saying! Otherwise fear Allah for putting your own words into God's mouth.
Abinzain

SAUDI ARABIA
Posted - Monday, September 5, 2005  -  12:07 AM Reply with quote
No doubt Music is one of the Faasha or Laghw and do not please contaminate the Hamd or Naat etc with these satanic things.

Read Quran with full understanding and do not try every thing be released from the mouth of the prophet sa.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3 4 5
Next page >>
Page 1 of 5

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker