Page 3 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, October 19, 2006  -  6:14 AM Reply with quote
Winning Encounters Through Silence

By S.P. Kewal

Life is no longer a journey into beauty and pleasure. In the complex world of today, the struggle for existence has become very acute. The rivalry to win in life are played out most viciously. Challenges track us, and encounters are in ambush, unexpected hostile situations clamour for a duel, wherever we go. We shiver in our boots and cry for a way out. Thus tranquility becomes the first casuality because we don't know how to fight in silence. But do the people understand the language of silence? Noted thinker Elbert Hubbard says that "he who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words". Caryle writes in his book Heroes and Hero-Worship that silence is more eloquent than words.

Does being fully engaged in one's favourite activity makes a person really happy and successful if he all the time shrills and screams? Does a combative personality hold out a promise for greater achievements in life? Such people think they can get their work done if they keep people around in constant terror through shouting and screaming. To be aggressive in behaviour, arrogant in manners and harsh in language is a manifestation of savagery. You cannot always remain oblivious to such things. Fight back? No, keep your calm. You just can't make a hawk sing like a dove. Moreover, you can't always control the external events, but you can control your attitude towards them. Your strength is your silence. Poet Sadi in the Gulistan says, "A man of virtue, judgement, and prudence speaks not until there is silence."

Finding oneself faced by danger, difficulties, sudden outburst or an explosion of anger,; one shouldn't react quickly. Take a careless posture while encountering an unpleasant situation. It does not mean that one should go through life with apologetic steps. But choose your words carefully, and be ready to give answer to anyone who seeks questions. Of the best society it used to be said, "their speech instructs the mind, and their silence the feelings". Noted French novelist Camu says that "life is meaningless, but we give meanings to it through sensible activities." It is possible only when you make your struggle silence-based. English poet R L Stevenson is of the opinion that it is not always possible to translate all your plans and projects into reality, sometimes a genuine failure is better than a fake success. When a sense of defeat stings you because someone else has stolen march upon you, close your eyes and pray: "Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day, and wish my circumstances were not quite modest, thankyou lord for the gift of a peaceful life.

Not only mundane affairs, but dreams and fantasies can also turn into a monster-like challenge that shakes your emotional life. In a moment of ecstasy, you weave your dreams around someone. You like to be liked. You want to be wanted. You love to b e loved. But possibilities of deceptions in life cannot be ruled out. Your dreams are shattered, because association has ended in a let down. You look around for something to slit your throat because pain has become unbearable and it has gone into your soul. Sir Walter Raleigh in The Silent Lovers suggests that silence in emotional turmoil is a soothing balm. It is a healing for all ailments. If challenge is simple, observe silence. But if it is grave one, observe frostly silence. The storm will blow over.

It is beautiful to be famous. It is glorious to be rich. It is heavenly to be loved. But before you venture on a perilous journey, you had better wear an armour of silence. It will surely protect you from the onslaught of nasty encounters. It is a sure recipe to win the day.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, October 19, 2006  -  3:49 PM Reply with quote
excellent reading and has put me to shame about my e-mail.Many thanks for sharing it with us.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, October 28, 2006  -  9:38 PM Reply with quote
brother this was an excellent reading about the power of silence. However I have thought about it in the islamic point of view. The two things that come to mind our. Firstly the obligation of our imaan is tawaasi bil Haq and Tawassi bisabr. A muslim, in his own circle exhorts about the right path and to maintain steadfastness. Then the definition of a muslim according to the Qur'an. amar i bilmaroof and nahi unil munkar. I wonder how much the power of silence would apply to a muslim in light of above
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Sunday, October 29, 2006  -  8:05 AM Reply with quote
A wise person is one who knows which one is little among bad things.
Caliph Omar's(R.A) once adviced 'eliminate the sh'r(bad)with silence.

What we forget these days is to understand ''counterproductive''acts done in the name of good.
Isnt it judicious to keep mum if our action against' bad' becomes the reason to invite' worst'.

This silence isnt something keeping us''idle'' but its a conclusion of deepthinking and longsightedness.This idleness is not an easy task,ask one who has experienced this.It is always easy to react fast than to stop ourselve,keep calm ,think twice,judge your action and your enemies capability and then react.

Let me tell you an old saying in indian subcontinent:
''elephant walks and dogs bark''

wassalam
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, October 29, 2006  -  8:28 AM Reply with quote
Jaza'akallah brother

You are what your name is in urdu "the enlightened one" and I do not mean Buddha. Very well answered. May Allah give you the rewards.

In need of your prayers
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, October 29, 2006  -  8:40 AM Reply with quote
"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living, the other helps you make a life."
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Sunday, October 29, 2006  -  11:35 AM Reply with quote
All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds
Zulfee

USA
Posted - Tuesday, October 31, 2006  -  1:10 PM Reply with quote
raushan
quote:

Let me tell you an old saying in indian subcontinent:
''elephant walks and dogs bark''

By walking and barking, Haven’t You broken the pledge of ‘silence and patience’ proclaiming everywhere, with scum in your mouth? You are giving the lessons of silence and patience but being the otherwise and a liar in a beautiful way, be do shameful by showing what is in fact present in your heart!!!!!!!!!
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, November 1, 2006  -  7:08 AM Reply with quote
My dear brother Zulfi Salaam

most humbly I would like to ask you about your comments above. Do you feel that in an open discussion forum about Islam, where people are e-mailing and sharing opinions, do you feel this language is appropriate?

You are without doubt very knowledgeable. I personally doubly worry about every action pertaining to religion. I worry that I do not cross the limits in the path of religion. The Qur'an says

Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and sincere exhortations and debate with them in manners that are appropriate (16;125)

Brother , there may be my way or your way but The Qur'an is the Mizaan and furqaan. This is the suggested way not by me but the fountain of our knowledge and the source of our knowledge

Let us learn from your knowledge in the right way.

" Deen ilam aur amal key tawazan ka naam hey.

If I have transgressed the bounderies of religion in what I have stated then I apologise.
Allah knows best

In need of your prayers and support
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, November 12, 2006  -  8:45 AM Reply with quote
QUOTE of waseem: - Then the definition of a muslim according to the Qur'an. amar i bilmaroof and nahi unil munkar.

I think, every religion advises for, “amar i bilmaroof and nahi unil munkar (enjoin the good and forbid the evil – 31: 17)” If some non-muslims do bad deeds (like some Muslims do), their religion NEVER allows them. Could you please elaborate further, if I am not correct?

FOLLOWING IS JUST BY THE WAY,

To date, I have been the member of this site for last 2 years, 1 month and 14 days. One thing which I still could not understand, “Some Muslims of today’s thinking say about some Quranic verses that these are for the Prophet Mohammad’s (peace be upon him) time ONLY” while Holy Quran is the Last Book of God till the Day of Judgment. So according to this logic of the Muslims, more than half of the Holy Quran does not seem to be applicable to us. For example, in the verse 31: 17 (amar i bilmaroof and nahi unil munkar) Prophet Luqman (peace be upon him) is advising his son to enjoin the good and forbid the evil. So according to the logic mentioned above, how the verse can be applicable to us? Similarly how the talks between prophet Musa (peace be upon him) and Firon, between prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) and Zulaikha, between prophets Nuh (peace be upon him), Loot (peace be upon him), Saleh (peace be upon him) etc and their nations and between prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the Mushrekeen, are applicable to us. Holy Quran is full of such matters of the past. So what is the base on which the Muslims say that these verses are for the Prophet’s (peace be upon him) time ONLY.

Wassalaam!
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, November 13, 2006  -  8:39 AM Reply with quote
Salaam brother

In my very limited understanding of religion. I quote Javaid Ahmad Ghamidhi

What does the religion ask of you?

1. Understand the religion in its true sense
2 Practical application of religion in our own lives.
3. Tell that to others in your circle in manners that are appropriate and with wisdom, to those who want to know in the manner of inzaar.

Javaid Ahmad Ghamidhi further states. What is the differance between a true believer and non believer.( surah Baqrah)

A believer believes in

1. Belief in ALlah as is the right of Allah
2. Believe on the Day of Judgement as is the right belief
3. Performs amal i saleh (righteous deeds in light of divine instruction)

We then look at surah Asr the Qur'an tells us who will succeed

1. Those who have true faith
2. those who perform amal i saleh
3. Tawaasi bil Haq
4. Tawassi bisabr.

I would like to add that as far as I understand amal i saleh and good deeds are not the same. good deeds are judged by this society. If someone donates to charity with an ulterior motive of succeeding in politics. it may be deemed a good deed but it will not be amal i saleh as Islam is a religion of intention.

Thus my understanding is that the responsibilities of a true believer are as above.learn about religion , practical demonstartion in his/her own life. and within their circle i.e friends collegues family, with wisdom, we must tell others.

I think as we see in surah Asr, if we have to perform tawasi bil Haq we will also have to perform aml i saleh. I think if I knew someone who was doing something wrong and whilst I felt I was in a position to help or advise, I say I cannot be bothered then I feel I am not fullfilling my religious duties. amal i saleh is amri bil maroof and naheh unil munkar.

Allah knows best
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, November 13, 2006  -  1:58 PM Reply with quote
salaam brother Loveall

In my very limited understanding of religion. The Glorious Qur'an contains AL-Hikmah i.e philosophical basis of religion, this is everlasting, AL-Kitab or Shariah which is rules and regulations, these are everlasting too. In addition it contains historical record of the prophets before to remind the readers about the choices and fates of nations.In addition it was the source for Guidance and instructions for the prophet pbuh and through him for the muslims of that time to deal with issues that they were facing. Those issues have to be read in the context of that period and cannot be said to be applicable for today. The Al-Hikmah and Shariah is ever lasting.

For example AL-Baqrah 190-194 where it states" and where ever you find them (mushrekeen) kill them and take them out from where they have turned you out from"This was said in referance to a specific time and issues of that time. Muslims wanted to perform pilgrimmage and they were told if the Quresh resisted or stopped them then their attitude should be like this. We cannot use this to mean that it means today wherever we see a non believer we kill him.

Similarly, Surah Anfaal verse 65-68 states " among yourselves if there are 20 steadfast, they will previal over 200"

This is specific to the battle of Badr and happened in specific circumstances to give encouragement to the muslims fighting that battle as they were severely out numbered. We cannot interpret it today and the ratio as we learn changed to 1;2 afterwards.

Similarly issues regarding the battles of Tabuk, Uhad and Badr have been quoted in the QUr'an and pertain to that time. like instructions about muslims not participating in the war.The issue of the three sahabhi who initially refused to go to war and then accepted their mistake and the peophet pbuh is guided in the Qur'an that Allah will decide their fate and then their forgiveness is accepted in the Qur'an.

We also note that Hazrat Zainab rta Nikah with prophet Mohamamd is mentioned as that was an issue at that time.

Surah Al Kafiroon has speciifc adressees. Lakum deenukum walyadeen is not the muslims aproach towards non muslims in general but this was the surah that signified the completion of Itmaam ul hujjah on the mushrekeen of Makaah and signalled that the prophet was going to migrate from Makkah.

Thus if we read the Qur'an with its nazam and referance to the context, only then we can appareciate that certain instructions and certain commandments were specific towards the non believers of that time and cannot be meant to address the non believers of today.

We also se that the Qur'an came over a period of twenty years and in that time their are changes in the QUr'an according to the need of time in instructions like alcohol, fasting.

We have to bring in the concept of itmaam ul hujjah into this.It is Allah's rule that no nation or people have been punished till ALlah; through His prophets did not reveal Truth beyond any reasonable doubt and the people refused to accept the truth either beacause of stubborness or ego. Thus those instructions that pertain to mushrekeen and ahl i Kitab of the prophet pbuh's time when Truth had been revealed to them by the prophet of Allah and ONLY then in the Qur'an they were called Kafirs or disbelievers, and those verses were specific for them. The ahl i kitab and non believers of today , we cannot say have had itmaam ul hujjah thus we cannot use those verses of the Qur'an to apply on them.
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, November 13, 2006  -  2:07 PM Reply with quote
Well said waseem.

There are other examples too. Like punishing the wife for being unchaste. First the Quran says to lock them up for a period of time inside the home. Later it says that zani should be lashed 100 times. Apparently this is contradictory, so we have to apply each in its context and time. Another example would be that masters are told intercourse with slaves is ok. Later men are told to marry the slave women first. Also the other thing is slavery does not exist today in the form it used to, so this whole section of the Quran probably does not apply to our lives any more.
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, October 14, 2023  -  7:30 PM Reply with quote
السلام عليكم
I left this forum many years ago, and had requested the admins/managers to delete all my posts.
Since they have conveniently ignored my request, I advise the readers to ignore my posts, and I openly retract from anything I said that was against the Qur'aan, Sunnah or way of the salaf.
I also free myself from this website, for its 'aqeedah and manhaj is not what the salaf were upon.

Learn true Islaam instead of wasting your time listening to people's opinions on forums.

www.tawhidfirst.com (English)

www.imamdarimi.com (Urdu)

(Posted by member, Nida_e_Khair)

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3
Page 3 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker