Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
loganc

CANADA
Topic initiated on Thursday, November 15, 2007  -  5:22 AM Reply with quote
Any Canadians?

Salaam aliukum

Are there are Canadians studying here? I am a "revert" and just looking to connect. I lived in Ethiopia for a couple years and Canada is turning out to be quite a test for me.

Salaam
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, November 17, 2007  -  10:28 PM Reply with quote
welcome to the SI L there are quite a few members from canada and we have sent your contact to the ones in and around your area.
we hope you will benefit from our site and communities.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, December 3, 2007  -  10:52 PM Reply with quote
L; as we know you as a project director(AIDS, we were wondering how paticularly was international AIDS day celebrated last week under your management and whether abstinence is counted in or is the relevant counselling limited to prevention only?
'coz I also happened to take a junior doctors teaching session on the topic last week, and we touched on a bit of both.(it was basically about all STIs-etiology and management-sp. AIDS considering the int. day )
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, December 4, 2007  -  2:06 AM Reply with quote
Greetings,

How do you know of my work? Actually this year I am in Canada for Dec.1 so the day of rememberance of sorts does not get as much attention as it should. My teaching is a choices-based approach. We talk about all the types of prevention and associated risk and allow people to make informed choices based on thier own situation.
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, December 4, 2007  -  2:14 AM Reply with quote
quote:

whether abstinence is counted in or is the relevant counselling limited to prevention only?

I personally think that sex education must include the notion of abstinence. However, I also feel that safer sex methods also need to be provided just to be on the safe side.

Providing one and leaving the other is bound to lead to problems.

I like the way the following is written:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/sexinfections/sti/165.html

Can STIs be prevented?

Yes. The only sure way to prevent STIs is by not having sex. If you have sex, you can lower your risk of getting an STI by only having sex with someone who isn't having sex with anyone else and who doesn't have an STI.

Remember, though, that condoms aren't 100% safe and can't protect you from coming in contact with some sores, such as those that can occur with herpes, or warts, which can be caused by HPV infection.

The reason that safer sex methods also need to be intimated is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_sex

Virginity pledges and sexual abstinence education programs are often promoted in lieu of contraceptives and safe-sex education programs. This can place some teenagers at higher risk of unintended pregnancy and STDs, because up to 60 percent of teenagers who pledge virginity until marriage do engage in pre-marital sex and are then one-third less likely to use contraceptives than their peers who have received more traditional sex education.
oosnam

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, December 4, 2007  -  2:52 PM Reply with quote
quote:

The only sure way to prevent STIs is by not having sex. If you have sex, you can lower your risk of getting an STI by only having sex with someone who isn't having sex with anyone else and who doesn't have an STI.

How would you ensure the prerequisite and answer these 2 questions derived from your quote?

1. who isn't having sex with anyone else and
2. who doesn't have an STI?
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, December 4, 2007  -  11:18 PM Reply with quote
walaykum assalam L; (you mentioned your work in your intro. and we have access to members' credentials for our Communities section)

I think its a great job as per the need of the day trying to save a large chunk of humanity from destruction in this world and hereafter-remembering that one of the two weapons Satan did use at the time of human creation and will continue to use always is his weapon against human modesty.(the ones who escape this,the modest and religious people- have a high risk of falling prey to his second weapon i.e. egoism leading to sectarinism). STI's including HIV/AIDS is one dreadful example of the results of such which is equally effecting men, women and children.

The points J has raised about prevention/ abstinence are also eye-openers.

O; wat you have asked is really a matter of the covenant b/w the individuals and their self or/and God if they believe in one & the trust amongst the couple-the weaker these two covenants be, the bleaker the picture remains .
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Wednesday, December 5, 2007  -  1:22 AM Reply with quote
salaam aliukum

thank you / shukran
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, December 5, 2007  -  11:45 AM Reply with quote
welcome. ws
but we muslims who are working in this field in the west are in a difficult position and we have to understand this. the state here allows free sex, gayism, lesbianism, etc. if we are working in SH clinics to help out STIs, it is included in our job protocol and ethics to advice and treat in a non-judgemental way. we cannot sit and start preaching morality there because the people come there with the understanding that they would be treated as any other patient of heart/lungs etc.
however many patients come and start thier conversation with regret and sorrow. so we need to see individual status and talk accordingly.

therefore if i wish to convey about faith and morality, the best place is to do that when out of work place.(unless someone is willing to learn and keen to discuss)
we aourselves as practitioners can learn from the effects of such diseases we see in our patients and the problems caused by such to individuals,families and society and use these in our research and ethics studies for people to learn on a wider scale.

not sure of LC will agree with me or he has a different outlook towards this job

h
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, December 6, 2007  -  2:37 AM Reply with quote
quote:

but we muslims who are working in this field in the west are in a difficult position and we have to understand this. the state here allows free sex, gayism, lesbianism, etc.

It is parallel in Muslim countries, it is just that it is hidden.

A blogger wrote:

When I was at a salon a couple of months ago, they only had Arabic magazines. I was so surprised to see one of the featured articles, about four pages long, titled "al jins al famawi" (Oral Sex).

I just tried to read some of the captions to get the gist, but it did seem to claim that this is a widespread problem in the Middle East, and it tried to warn against some of the dangers and dispel myths.

Other bloggers provided anecdotal evidence:

Anal sex is the new hip trend among upper-class girls in Jordan.

female in Iran, for some women, they often will engage in anal sexual intercourse, so they still maintain their virginity till marriage.

Here is a report from Kuwait

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-4632.2007.02843.x

Clinical patterns of sexually transmitted diseases, associated
sociodemographic characteristics, and sexual practices in the
Farwaniya region of Kuwait

And let's not forget that in Pakistan we have those notorious clinics with 'posheeda amraaz', 'jawaani ki ghalatiyaan' and their recurrent advertisements in Urdu newspapers.
oosnam

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, December 6, 2007  -  1:12 PM Reply with quote
But all this is not allowed by the states VS the quote of hkhan (vide infra) to which you responded:
quote:

but we muslims who are working in this field in the west are in a difficult position and we have to understand this. the state here allows free sex, gayism, lesbianism, etc.

Where a state allows there is of course more freedom, hence the more chances of the spread of the diseases.
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, December 6, 2007  -  5:06 PM Reply with quote
I agree with you (hkhan), and I do now work in Canada with refugees and follow what you have said. Not only because it is the job, but the Qur'an says there is no compulsion in religion. Surely we all make mistakes. I could never claim to have made mistakes myself. It is not my job to judge anyone, just to assist if possible - in a nonjudgmental way.

Oosnam: There must be a balance between extensive regulation and good personal choice. We can not punish all things, we also need to teach people to make better choices on a personal level. Regulating everything will not solve any problem - history has shown us this clearly.
oosnam

INDIA
Posted - Friday, December 7, 2007  -  10:17 AM Reply with quote
No one (Muslim or non-Muslim) dares to refute, Prevention is better than Cure!
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Friday, December 7, 2007  -  8:51 PM Reply with quote
Here are other reports:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1368987

Sexually transmitted infections in Saudi Arabia

Tariq A Madani1

Department of Medicine, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, and Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1298319

Cultural Approach to HIV/AIDS Harm Reduction in Muslim Countries

Memoona Hasnain

Muslim countries, previously considered protected from HIV/AIDS due to religious and cultural norms, are facing a rapidly rising threat. Despite the evidence of an advancing epidemic, the usual response from the policy makers in Muslim countries, for protection against HIV infection, is a major focus on propagating abstention from illicit drug and sexual practices. Sexuality, considered a private matter, is a taboo topic for discussion.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, December 11, 2007  -  5:45 AM Reply with quote
thnx for your views folks. had to rush for my dad's illness-plz pray for his health.

yes sadly muslim countries als not safe from these indiscplines-just lke other imbalances; however whilst practicing in muslim countries one can openly give reasons and references from the teachings of Islam because abstinence is clearly the recommended key solution and the matter is not just STIs bit also a much bigger issue-safety from the eternal tornment!
Shilba

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, December 15, 2007  -  2:58 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Virginity pledges and sexual abstinence education programs are often promoted in lieu of contraceptives and safe-sex education programs. This can place some teenagers at higher risk of unintended pregnancy and STDs, because up to 60 percent of teenagers who pledge virginity until marriage do engage in pre-marital sex and are then one-third less likely to use contraceptives than their peers who have received more traditional sex education.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker