Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
ummjuwayriyah

USA
Topic initiated on Saturday, July 10, 2004  -  1:24 AM Reply with quote
Why Should I Wear the Hijaab?

As Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

This is a good question and there is a beautiful answer! Allaah has commanded us with every action that is good for us and prohibited us from performing every action that is bad for us. Allaah orders the Muslim woman to wear the hijaab when she steps out of the security of her home or when in the presence of strange men. So to wear the hijaab is a source of great good for you – the Muslim woman - for many reasons. Among them:

You please Allaah. You are obeying the commands of your Lord when you wear the hijaab and you can expect great rewards in return.

It is Allaah’s protection of your natural beauty. You are too precious to be "on display" for each man to see.

It is Allaah’s preservation of your chastity.

Allaah purifies your heart and mind through the hijaab.

Allaah beautifies your inner and outer countenance with hijaab. Outwardly your hijaab reflects innocence, purity, modesty, shyness, serenity, contentment and obedience to your Lord. Inwardly you cultivate the same.

Allaah defines your femininity through the hijaab. You are a woman who respects her womanhood. Allaah wants you to be respected by others, and for you to respect yourself.

Allaah raises your dignity through the hijaab. When a strange man looks at you, he respects you because he sees that you respect yourself.

Allaah protects your honour 100% through your hijaab. Men do not gaze at you in a sensual way, they do not approach you in a sensual way, and neither do they speak to you in a sensual way. Rather, a man holds you in high esteem and that is just by one glance at you!

Allaah gives you nobility through the hijaab. You are noble not degraded because you covered not naked.

Allaah demonstrates your equality as a Muslim woman through the hijaab. Your Lord bestows upon you equal worth as your male counterpart, and gives you a host of beautiful rights and liberties. You express your acceptance of these unique rights by putting on the hijaab.

Allaah defines your role as a Muslim woman through the hijaab. You are a someone with important duties. You are a reflection of a woman of action not idle pursuits. You display your sense of direction and purpose through your hijaab. You are someone that people take seriously.

Allaah expresses your independence through the hijaab. You are stating clearly that you are an obedient servant of the Greatest Master. You will obey no one else and follow no other way. You are not a slave to any man, nor a slave to any nation. You are free and independent from all man-made systems.

Allaah gives you the freedom of movement and expression through the hijaab. You are able to move about and communicate without fear of harassment. Your hijaab gives you a unique confidence.

Allaah wants others to treat you – a Muslim woman - with kindness. And the hijaab brings about the best treatment of men towards you.

Allaah wants your beauty to be preserved and saved for just one man to enjoy – your husband.

Allaah helps you to enjoy a successful marriage through wearing hijaab. Because you reserve your beauty for one man alone, your husband’s love for you increases, he cherishes you more, he respects you more and he honours you more. So your hijaab contributes to a successful and lasting marriage relationship.

Allaah brings about peace and stability in the society through the hijaab! Yes this is true! Men do not cause corruption by forming illegal relationships because you - the Muslim woman - calm their passions. When a man looks at you, he feels at ease, not tempted to fornicate…

So a Muslim woman in hijaab is dignified, not dishonoured, noble, not degraded, liberated, not subjugated, purified, not sullied, independent, not a slave, protected, not exposed, respected, not laughed at, confident, not insecure, obedient, not a sinner, a guarded pearl, not a prostitute…

Dear Muslim sister! Come towards the gates of Paradise with us! Fulfill your duties towards Allaah, put on your adornment - put on your hijaab, and race towards Jannah (Paradise) by doing all good actions. You should agree by now that wearing hijaab is extremely beneficial – it must be - because Allaah only commands what is good…

…and believe me dear sister, it is good to obey the commands of your Lord…

"Their reward is with their Lord: Gardens of Eden underneath which rivers flow wherein they will dwell for ever; Allaah is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him; this is (in store) for whoever fears his Lord." [Sooratul-Bayyinah 98:8]
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, July 28, 2004  -  9:40 AM Reply with quote
Dear Sister

wa alaikum u al-salaam wa rehmat u Allah wa barakaathoo

In my opinion Allaah has not given any order of wearing the hijaab to ALL MUSLIM WOMEN. The aayaat of Surah Ahzab (33) that are supposed to be the ORIGION of this order are addressing the MUSLIM WOMEN of THAT time only & it is obvious & absolutely clear from the Context of the Surah.

However, a Muslim woman can wear hijaab for any other reason (personal etc.) & surely she will get her reward from the Almighty.

regards

Edited by: ibrahim on Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:32 AM
Zeenaeem

SAUDI ARABIA
Posted - Wednesday, July 28, 2004  -  1:05 PM Reply with quote
Dear Ibrahim
Assalaamu Alaikum

Your quote:

"In my opinion Allaah has not given any order of wearing the hijaab toALL MUSLIM WOMEN. The aayaat of Surah Ahzab (33) that are supposed to be the ORIGION of this order are addressing the MUSLIM WOMEN of THAT time only & it is obvious & absolutely clear from the Context of the Surah."

Unquote

Dear Ibrahim, please note that your opinion is wrong. You can refer to Sarah Noor, Chapter-24, Verse-31, which deals extensively regarding Veil that is to be drawn, by all believing women.

Please note that the command is for All believing Women. It is apparent that it is not for Unbeliving Women (Disbelievers) !!

Peace & Hijabi Smiles

Zeenaeem
shahk

USA
Posted - Thursday, July 29, 2004  -  3:39 AM Reply with quote
Dear Sister Zeenaeem:

Thank you for your comments and the Quranic references. I looked at the surah (Surah 24:31) of which you spoke but it does not seem clear to me that Muslim women are ordained to cover their hair. It seems to say for beleiveing women to cover their bossom with a veil but it does not say what else needs to be covered. It also says to not who one's "adornments" but again what specifically are those adornments? Bossom? Legs? fingernails? Is it unspecified b/c it can be left up for each culture to define? And what about the stamping of the feet? How would this "reveal their adornment"? I think this suggest that adornment may not be something purely physical.
Would really like to know what you think about these mullings.

Look forward to the discussion,
shahidah
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, July 29, 2004  -  10:50 AM Reply with quote
Thank you sisters

I hope that Sister ZEENAEEM will have got answer of her post from Sister Shahidah.

Looking forward to Sister ZEENAEEM's reply.
Ibrahim
Zeenaeem

SAUDI ARABIA
Posted - Thursday, July 29, 2004  -  4:22 PM Reply with quote
Dear Shahida and Dear Ibrahim

This is your Brother Zeenaeem.

Well. I hope, this is not the first time you looked at the Surah 24:31. You might have come across this verse and several other verses of Hijaab (Veil) and might have discussed elsewhere, extensively. If you have a pre-concluded notion about a thing or about the meaning of a particular word, and also if you are a staunch supporter of the notion you assume as if it is in your favour, it is more unlikely that you would easily incline to mean anything else other than what you have already accepted. Let me put it this way : The word ‘adornment’ has several meanings, such as “decoration, embellishment, ornamentation, beautification, prettification, gilding, trimming, titivation, frilling, garnishing, etc. etc. “If the word ‘adornment’ is confined only to mean ‘beautifying any thing’ then the verse-31 says : “…..not to show off their adornment except that which is apparent…” Please consider this : “except that which is apparent”. Here, the adornment may mean eyes, palms of hands, feet, the outer garment, apron, head-cover, gloves and, shoes or any footwear, etc. which are bound to be visible.

The Arabic word used is “Zeenatahunna” closest meaning “their (plural of her) adornment”. If you pre-conclude this word “zeena” to mean everything except head or hair, none can help you. When “zeena” is also defined to anything that which was excepted saying “except that which is apparent”, why the hair and head should not be taken as “zeena” of a woman ? Please consider the following :

A lady can adorn and beautify not only her neck and bosom but also any part of her body including her hair. There is a lot of attention paid to hair-dressing, hair coloring, numerous hair styles, curling hair, pop-cutting, horse-tail-styles accomplished with ribbons and lockets, application of colorful “raze” (shining gypsum powder) wearing “mang-tila” (in the center partition of hair on the head) heavily braided-hair dressing and many more… Are these hair styles not to mean “zeena” (adornment) of a woman ? In order to keep this beautification of hair ONLY for her husband, she has to keep it hidden from the hovering sights of others. Hence the Hijaab or scarf becomes necessary.

Application of nail polish and Mehendi (Henna) is also definitely comes under the process of “beautification”. That is why in Saudi Arabia, most of the ladies do not show even their palms of hands and their feet. Most of them wear hand-gloves and also socks. Apparently they do not want anyone to see their jewellery they wore on the hands and palms, and also the designs and color of the Mehendi (Henna) they might have been applying.

In most of the Eastern and Middle Eastern countries, an ornament is wore on the feet by ladies. This is called “Patti” or “Payal”. This is available both in Gold and Silver and also with or without tiny bells. Wearing this “Payal” if any lady runs or even walks quickly, the tiny bells create a “chham chham” a chiming sound, which in turn attracts the attention of people she goes by. We have heard on the streets comments by many a ruffians naming such ladies as “chhammak Challu” meaning “chime walker”. It is a slang language not befitting of a noble lady.

We have seen many non-Muslim ladies mostly Gujaratis (Indians) walk with such a pompous way deliberately creating such chime sound out of the “payals” they wear, thus attracting the attention of people towards them.

Hence, Allah commands the ladies among other things, in the Verse-31 of Chapter-24 saying, : “…….And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment ……”

Now, coming to the point of pre-conclude notions, which I mentioned earlier, please read Ibrahim’s post where the poster had declared saying : “"In my opinion Allaah has not given any order of wearing the hijaab toALL MUSLIM WOMEN. The aayaat of Surah Ahzab (33) that are supposed to be the ORIGION of this order are addressing the MUSLIM WOMEN of THAT time only & it is obvious & absolutely clear from the Context of the Surah."

Dear Ibrahim, what is the context of the Surah ? If you talk about the context of the Surah, please read two verses earlier, i.e. Verse-56, where Allah says : “Allah sends His Salat (Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, etc.) on the Prophet (Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and also His angels too (ask Allah to bless and forgive him). O you who believe! Send your Salat on (ask Allah to bless) him (Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islamic way of greeting (salutation i.e. As-Salamu ‘Alaikum).

If you chose to assume the command of Hijaab as only time-bound and not for all the Muslims Women till the day of Qiyamah, can you argue saying that the command of Allah in the Verse-56 of Surah Ahzab was also time-bound and not for all the believing people ? Can you remain without sending Salat Wa Salam on hearing the name of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) ?

I would like to point out to the poster Ibrahim and to all other readers that the verses and message of Al-Qur’an is not bound to any specific period. Al-Qur’aan is timeless, I mean, the commands are applicable from the time of revelation till the end of the day. I will type below the verse of Surah Ahzab :

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed (molested). And Allah is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Surah Ahzab, Chapter-33, Verse-59.

Some more points regarding Hijaab :

Islam uplifted women and gave them equality and expects them to maintain their status:

Islam uplifted the status of women and granted them their just rights 1400 years ago. Islam expects women to maintain their status.

Hijab for men: People usually only discuss ‘hijab’ in the context of women. However, in the Glorious Qur’an, Allah (swt) first mentions ‘hijab’ for men before ‘hijab’ for the women. The Qur’an mentions in Surah Noor: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do." [Al-Qur’an 24:30]. The moment a man looks at a woman and if any brazen or unashamed thought comes to his mind, he should lower his gaze.

Hijab for women: The next verse of Surah Noor, says: " And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons..." [Al-Qur’an 24:31]
3. Six criteria for Hijab: According to Qur’an and Sunnah there are basically six criteria for observing hijab:

1. Extent: The first criterion is the extent of the body that should be covered. This is different for men and women. The extent of covering obligatory on the male is to cover the body at least from the navel to the knees. For women, the extent of covering obligatory is to cover the complete body except the face and the hands up to the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even these parts of the body. Some scholars of Islam insist that the face and the hands are part of the obligatory extent of ‘hijab’.

All the remaining five criteria are the same for men and women.

2. The clothes worn should be loose and should not reveal the figure.
3. The clothes worn should not be transparent such that one can see through them.
4. The clothes worn should not be so glamorous as to attract the opposite sex.
5. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the opposite sex.
6. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the unbelievers i.e. they should not wear clothes that are specifically identities or symbols of the unbelievers’ religions

4. Hijab includes conduct and behaviour among other things: Complete ‘hijab’, besides the six criteria of clothing, also includes the moral conduct, behaviour, attitude and intention of the individual. A person only fulfilling the criteria of ‘hijab’ of the clothes is observing ‘hijab’ in a limited sense. ‘Hijab’ of the clothes should be accompanied by ‘hijab’ of the eyes, ‘hijab’ of the heart, ‘hijab’ of thought and ‘hijab’ of intention. It also includes the way a person walks, the way a person talks, the way he behaves, etc.

5. Hijab prevents molestation: The reason why Hijab is prescribed for women is mentioned in the Qur’an in the following verses of Surah Al-Ahzab: "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad); that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Al-Qur’an 33:59]. The Qur’an says that Hijab has been prescribed for the women so that they are recognized as modest women and this will also prevent them from being molested.

6. Example of twin sisters: Suppose two sisters who are twins, and who are equally beautiful, walk down the street. One of them is attired in the Islamic hijab i.e. the complete body is covered, except for the face and the hands up to the wrists. The other sister is wearing western clothes, a mini skirt or shorts. Just around the corner there is a hooligan or ruffian who is waiting for a catch, to tease a girl. Whom will he tease? The girl wearing the Islamic Hijab or the girl wearing the skirt or the mini? Naturally he will tease the girl wearing the skirt or the mini. Such dresses are an indirect invitation to the opposite sex for teasing and molestation. The Qur’an rightly says that hijab prevents women from being molested.

I hope now it is clear to you both.

Peace & Adorned Smiles

Your Brother

Zeenaeem
shahk

USA
Posted - Thursday, July 29, 2004  -  7:40 PM Reply with quote
Dear Brother Zeenaeem:

Thank you for your patient explanation. Indeed I am seeking information and spiritual awareness, hence the asking of the question. I have not the time or the inclination to pose questions simpply for the fun of it. Toward this end, I am open to the truth and knowledge and hope that you will keep me in your du'as in this matter and all that I endeavor of good, InshaAllah.

No, that was not the first time I have read that particular passage but I was commending you for backing up your thoughts with specific reference to the Qur'an. Many people speak but never reference the Qur'an so I appreciated your diligence.

If you would continue to indulge me in this matter I still have some questions.

First, from your examples adornment seems to mean all those items we use to "make or enhance our beauty" e.g. bracelets, hair color, jewelry, etc. And apparent seems to mean those things with which we are born, hair, nose, eyes, hands, etc.

So it makes sense that you only beautify yourself--add things like the things I mentioned above--for the pleasure of your husband or family members.

The thing I am still pondering is if there is such a specific reference to a specific culture (the wearing of the ankle bracelet) that does not apply to many other women from different cultures then is there some more symbloic meaning to modesty? I think you kind of hint at this point when you mention men's hijab as guarding their gaze.

I guess the other thing I am thinking is that there are many different ways for a woman to dress modestyly (to cover her body completely) that is more representative of her own cultural traditions. I have heard some people say that there is only one way to wear hijab or hijab only looks like this. What do you think of this sentiment?

The other thing I thought about after reading your explanations is it is clear that Islam liberated women and saw them as important human beings that have spiritual needs and responsibilities. We just have to look at what was going on with other women to see this is true. This is evident in who narrated hadiths, women could ask the prophet (PBUH) spiritual and practical questions just like the men, they could no longer be forced to marry, they had rights to divorce for myriad of reason and so on.

But since that time many cultures have learned (some from exposure to Islamic socities) that women are human and therefore have a spirit that must be developed b/c they too will be judged on Judgement day and women's right to make choices for themsevles and to do things (read from the scriptures, ask questions, etc.) have been increased. In the old days other cultures saw the treatment of women in Islamic socities as a step up--advancement indicative of an advanced civilization--but now that is not the perception. How has the definition of equality changes so that when people look at the past they beleive (muslim and nonmuslim) that Muslim women had it better than other women but in the present the perception is that Muslim's women's status lag behind other women.

I look forward to your feedback.

salaam,
shahidah
Zeenaeem

SAUDI ARABIA
Posted - Friday, July 30, 2004  -  1:22 PM Reply with quote
Assalaamu Alaikum

Dear Shahidah

May Allah increase your intelligence and the desire to seek right knowledge, spiritual, religious and worldly. Allah knows the weakness of His creations, and do we hope that He pardons our shortcomings in carrying out His commands and fulfilling the duties He has ordained. We pray Allah for the better of us – each other and we strive utmost possible to understand His wishes for our betterment.

It seems to me that you started finding your answers as far as the term “adornment” and the phrase “except that which is apparent” are concerned. Thanks and all Praises to Allah who makes us understand His Message, clearly.

The adornment, make-up, jewellery and dresses differ from nation to nation, religion to religion and culture to culture. In other words, each civilization has its own set of dressing method. If Western women do not wear anklets and bangles (bracelets) now, that is due to the industrial revolution and drawing of more women to workplaces (factories, etc) resulting in more safety measures such as wearing factory uniform, avoiding long gowns, discarding wearing of rings and bracelets (bangles). This happened only during the last century. Ever since the inception of Islam, all Muslims are considered of one Nation, one culture and one brotherhood. Neither there is any color discrimination nor any racism. Islam teaches Universal Brotherhood.

The verses of Al-Qur’aan were not only revealed to Arabian culture but for all the mankind, irrespective of their civilization and practice of wearing jewelry. Unless we know exactly that no ankle bracelets (payals) were ever worn by people belonging to any particular civilization, we cannot think of exclusion of those people from the general command of Allah. This can simply taken for granted that the practice of such a civilization does not fall under the careful consideration of “And let them not stamp their feet” command (24:31). There are women who do not pierce their nose and do not wear anklets and bangles (bracelets) still living among the culture of heavily decorated women. But among the jewelry worn by women, anklets (payals) are the ones which make chiming sounds to attract everyone’s attention towards them, irrespective of the fact that the hijaab (veil) being worn by them or not. I mean, a fully clad woman from her top to toe can still attract people towards her being wearing chiming anklets, and stamping her feet while walking.

Here, one more thing is to be considered - the general arrogance, egotism and superiority a woman inherits while she wears jewellery. The more she wears, the more she feels proud. While wearing jewellery, many a times, she wants others to know that she possess a treasure of jewelry, which makes her feel arrogant and superior to others. In order to attract others, or in other words, to advertise herself to show others that how beautiful is she decorated with all the artifacts of jewellery, her walk becomes so ostentatious and she starts walking as a “tall-Walker”, stamping the feet heavily on the ground. For such people Allah says in Surah Al-Isra, Chapter-17, Verse-37 : “And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you can neither rend nor penetrate the earth, nor can you attain a stature like the mountains in height.”

You are right to say that there are many different ways for women to dress modestly, throughout the world. You need not stick to a particular style. As long as you fulfill the condition of dress code, the six criteria, as mentioned in my earlier write up, there is no reason why anyone should say that there is only one way to wear hijaab. I have seen many colors of Burqas (long and loose gown like wearing) with simple embroidery work, women wearing as hijaab. I have seen women wearing a loose wrapping of 2 meters long and 30 inches wide on their head, along with the loose Burqa. (All of my family members, including relatives and friends and also millions of women of my country wear this). They simply pull the thin cloth from their head down to the neck when they come across any one other than relative, on the way they walk. They feel very comfortable with this type of veil.

The Christian Nuns throughout the world wear long white gowns, with their head covering. How modest they look !! Can any one from the Muslims community comments them sarcastically, saying that they are oppressed ? No. Whose tradition is it ? Objection, sarcasm, and oppression comes, only when it is done by Islam and Muslims !! Have you ever noticed how nicely the Japanese dress ? If some sort of head covering is given to them, they would be more modest, and fully Islamic !! You could see most of the North Indian women – they wear one end of their saree over their head, but few of them leave their bossoms open. In such cases, it is the duty of men who should lower their gaze, observing hijaab. This is the command of Allah for Muslims. In no other religion such a hijaab for men has been told.

Your quote :
“We just have to look at what was going on with other women to see this is true. This is evident in who narrated hadiths, women could ask the prophet (PBUH) spiritual and practical questions just like the men, they could no longer be forced to marry, they had rights to divorce for myriad of reason and so on.
Unquote

In Islam women questioned the Prophet, corrected the wrong information of the 2nd Khalifa Omar (RA) while he was addressing in the mosque. Took part in the battles to serve the soldiers with water, and took care of the wounded soldiers. Women have voting rights. They have right to deny a marriage proposal unacceptable to them, they have full right to divorce (to take Khula) etc.

While creating an awareness among women of these rights of theirs to them, our Muslim society needs to educate the Muslim men too saying that these rights are there already in Islam fully granted by Divine Law, and we need not gift these rights to women from our side !!! Yes, many of the Muslim men, due to the lack of proper Islamic knowledge, and under the influence of non-Muslim culture, are still under dark. A few go to the extremes. Some assume that hijaab means full disappearance of the women folk from the outside world, while some suggest that women should be brought to the street to work with men shoulder to shoulder, commercializing their beauty in the name of women’s rights.

Islam is moderation – a middle way. Allah says in Surah Al-Malaikah, Chapter-35, Verse-32 : “Then We gave the Book (the Qur’an) for inheritance to such of Our slaves whom We chose (the followers of Muhammad SAW). Then of them are some who wrong their own selves, and of them are some who follow a middle course, and of them are some who are, by Allah’s Leave, foremost in good deeds. That (inheritance of the Qur’an), that is indeed a great grace.

Men and women are equal but not identical. Their rights are equal. They are of course protected like a precious pearls. In Islam they are supported and admired. They have full identification and a major playing part in making the society, nurturing the Islamic values, and making the home a pleasant atmosphere.

The Western media working at the behest of enemies of Islam, describe a situation out of its proportion. They will not lose an opportunity to blame Muslims and Islamic Law whenever any injustice is done to a women in the Islamic society. Please note that black-sheep are present in every society. If you take notice of the atrocities and injustice towards women by other religions, you will find all these media completely silent over such issues, simply quoting as a routine report or completely blocking the news item itself. Talibaan’s behavior is also such an incident. Once they started blasting the Bamiyan statutes, whole world came down upon them heavily. From Bush to Lara Bush were on their feet to liberate the women of Afghanisthan from their Burqas. What happened now ? Could they uncover every lady of Afghanisthan ? No. The ladies, who are Western educated only come out in Kabul as such, as they have been. No other woman is willing to give up her burqa for the sake of Bush or his wife !!

My point is to educate both, men and women of the laws and merits available in Islamic society. They must be inculcated with the knowledge to make use of such opportunities in a proper and justified way for the enhancement of their families, society and the Muslim Ummah as a whole, without going to the extremes – neither blocking the way of women in any field of activity nor bring them completely stripped of their modesty, as has been done by the Western society.

Your quote :

“In the old days other cultures saw the treatment of women in Islamic socities as a step up--advancement indicative of an advanced civilization--but now that is not the perception. How has the definition of equality changes so that when people look at the past they beleive (muslim and nonmuslim) that Muslim women had it better than other women but in the present the perception is that Muslim's women's status lag behind other women.”

Unquote

Whenever a culture comes across Islamic culture, the latter was liked most and adopted. The definition of equality changed only on the assumption of enemies of Islam, who out of enmity trying very hard to bring the modesty of the Muslim women open to the market. A few Muslim ladies too, fall prey to their connivance. If you analyze the court cases, you will find that the atrocities committed upon women are mostly by the societies of non-Muslims. The divorce cases are much more by the non-Muslims. The fraudulent and infidelity activities of women are mostly of non-Muslim women. The murder and suicide rates are very high among the non-Muslims – men and women alike. I need not mention here about flourishing flesh trade. Who are the pioneers, organizers and brokers ? Yet, a few cases involving Muslim societies are blown up by the media, out of its proportion.

If anyone really analyze the status available in Islam for women, and the real enjoyment the Muslim women are subjected to, I am sure, he or she will agree with me that for women Islam is the most adoptable, adaptable, admirable, lovable and livable ‘Way Of Life”.

Those non-Muslim women who analyze and compare the Women’s Rights in Islam with their present status of their parent religion are the ones who are mostly adopting Islam. The ratio of women and men adopting Islam, now-a-days is 4:1.

This truth proclaims loudly, the testimony that women are treated fairly in Islam, falsifying the present perception that Muslims’ women status lag behind other women.

Should you or any other readers need to know as to what status the women have in Christianity and Judaism, I can write a very long write up – for comparison.

Regards

Peace & Equal Smiles

Zeenaeem
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, July 30, 2004  -  2:41 PM Reply with quote
Assalam o Alaikum

I have just read this post. There is a long discussion going on. I just wanted to comment about couple of thing:

1. Surah Noor, there is no explicit order to cover the face. its written that they should draw veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty .... No mention of face or even head.

2. Surah Ahzaab, this is under discussion... What brother Ibrahim said that this is for some particular time. This does not mean that this was only for that time and now this verse has no importance but the idea is to understand what is being told in the Surah, the context which brother Ibrahim also mentioned. In the surah, Almighty ALLAH gave choice to the wives of the prophet that if they want to leave they can before giving these orders of Hijaab which clearly shows that these were some special orders for them and were not for all.

the verse 33:59 which states that
"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed (molested). And Allah is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

Now there is written that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed (molested).

if you read the context of the Surah in verse 58 it is stated that
And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a glaring sin.

This shows that this verse is talking about some Munafiqeen ( Hypocrites ) who at that time started to tease some of the Noble muslim women and when they were asked about it they said that we didn't recognize them and we thought that they ( the ladies ) are amongst us. Moreover, they were planning to create some false stories about the family members of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him ) to destroy His image & therefore ALLAH orders the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies for their recognition so that they should be respected and not be annoyed by the hypocrites and the people don't have any lame excuse.

In the next verses :

033.060 Truly, if the Hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and those who stir up sedition in the City, desist not, We shall certainly stir thee up against them: Then will they not be able to stay in it as thy neighbours for any length of time:

033.061 They shall have a curse on them: whenever they are found, they shall be seized and slain (without mercy).

Now, these verses mention the severity of the issue at that time, ALLAH ordered that if even then they (hypocrites) don't stop they shall be seized and slain (without mercy).

What you think that to kill someone without mercy is something not serious ??

Now, even if now a days, in some place there is situation like this one, then the people should take somem extra measures in order to save themselves.

All of you know that after 9/11 attacks, muslim women were in great danger ( in America and Europe ) and many of the scholors advised them to even stop wearing the headscarf as it was the sigh of recognition of muslim women and at that time their life and respect both were in danger just because of being muslims.

I have tried to explain the context of the Surah and I hope that now you will be in better position to understand what is mentioned in verse 59 of the surah.

Regards

USA
Posted - Saturday, July 31, 2004  -  5:42 AM Reply with quote
quote:

As Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

This is a good question and there is a beautiful answer! Allaah has commanded us with every action that is good for us and prohibited us from performing every action that is bad for us. Allaah orders the Muslim woman to wear the hijaab when she steps out of the security of her home or when in the presence of strange men. So to wear the hijaab is a source of great good for you – the Muslim woman - for many reasons. Among them:

You please Allaah. You are obeying the commands of your Lord when you wear the hijaab and you can expect great rewards in return.

It is Allaah’s protection of your natural beauty. You are too precious to be "on display" for each man to see.

It is Allaah’s preservation of your chastity.

Allaah purifies your heart and mind through the hijaab.

Allaah beautifies your inner and outer countenance with hijaab. Outwardly your hijaab reflects innocence, purity, modesty, shyness, serenity, contentment and obedience to your Lord. Inwardly you cultivate the same.

Allaah defines your femininity through the hijaab. You are a woman who respects her womanhood. Allaah wants you to be respected by others, and for you to respect yourself.

Allaah raises your dignity through the hijaab. When a strange man looks at you, he respects you because he sees that you respect yourself.

Allaah protects your honour 100% through your hijaab. Men do not gaze at you in a sensual way, they do not approach you in a sensual way, and neither do they speak to you in a sensual way. Rather, a man holds you in high esteem and that is just by one glance at you!

Allaah gives you nobility through the hijaab. You are noble not degraded because you covered not naked.

Allaah demonstrates your equality as a Muslim woman through the hijaab. Your Lord bestows upon you equal worth as your male counterpart, and gives you a host of beautiful rights and liberties. You express your acceptance of these unique rights by putting on the hijaab.

Allaah defines your role as a Muslim woman through the hijaab. You are a someone with important duties. You are a reflection of a woman of action not idle pursuits. You display your sense of direction and purpose through your hijaab. You are someone that people take seriously.

Allaah expresses your independence through the hijaab. You are stating clearly that you are an obedient servant of the Greatest Master. You will obey no one else and follow no other way. You are not a slave to any man, nor a slave to any nation. You are free and independent from all man-made systems.

Allaah gives you the freedom of movement and expression through the hijaab. You are able to move about and communicate without fear of harassment. Your hijaab gives you a unique confidence.

Allaah wants others to treat you – a Muslim woman - with kindness. And the hijaab brings about the best treatment of men towards you.

Allaah wants your beauty to be preserved and saved for just one man to enjoy – your husband.

Allaah helps you to enjoy a successful marriage through wearing hijaab. Because you reserve your beauty for one man alone, your husband’s love for you increases, he cherishes you more, he respects you more and he honours you more. So your hijaab contributes to a successful and lasting marriage relationship.

Allaah brings about peace and stability in the society through the hijaab! Yes this is true! Men do not cause corruption by forming illegal relationships because you - the Muslim woman - calm their passions. When a man looks at you, he feels at ease, not tempted to fornicate…

So a Muslim woman in hijaab is dignified, not dishonoured, noble, not degraded, liberated, not subjugated, purified, not sullied, independent, not a slave, protected, not exposed, respected, not laughed at, confident, not insecure, obedient, not a sinner, a guarded pearl, not a prostitute…

Dear Muslim sister! Come towards the gates of Paradise with us! Fulfill your duties towards Allaah, put on your adornment - put on your hijaab, and race towards Jannah (Paradise) by doing all good actions. You should agree by now that wearing hijaab is extremely beneficial – it must be - because Allaah only commands what is good…

…and believe me dear sister, it is good to obey the commands of your Lord…

"Their reward is with their Lord: Gardens of Eden underneath which rivers flow wherein they will dwell for ever; Allaah is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him; this is (in store) for whoever fears his Lord." [Sooratul-Bayyinah 98:8]

USA
Posted - Saturday, July 31, 2004  -  5:45 AM Reply with quote
Dear sisters and brothers could you please compare the rights of Muslim women with that of Jewish and Christian women.
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, July 31, 2004  -  4:04 PM Reply with quote
Assalam o Alaikum

Respected 90477, really a good message posted by you. I agree that Hijaab is one of most precious gifts given by the Almighty ALLAH to muslim women.

I think the problem here is to decide what is "Hijaab". In all the quotes there is no explicit order to cover one's face and that is only what I am saying. Just to prove my point I am quoting some of your quotes :

quote:

Allaah wants your beauty to be preserved and saved for just one man to enjoy – your husband

Do u think its "Face" of a women that is saved only for one man to enjoy ???

quote:

I believe that the beauty reserved for one man only is something other than "Face" as that could not be shown to others and only to one man.

Frankly speaking, i can't see even a single order in those that u have mentioned to cover the face for a women.

Regards
shahk

USA
Posted - Saturday, July 31, 2004  -  7:07 PM Reply with quote
Dear Brother Zeenaeem:

Thank you for your thoughtful response and may Allah (S.W.T.A) bestow peace and blessings upon you and your family.

I am still mulling over your words (you said a mouthful) and intend on sharing your ideas with a group of Muslims discussing these issues.

One part of what you said:

"Those non-Muslim women who analyze and compare the Women’s Rights in Islam with their present status of their parent religion are the ones who are mostly adopting Islam. The ratio of women and men adopting Islam, now-a-days is 4:1."

I did not quite understand in terms of our discussion. It seems to me that the past shows us that both converts and those born into Islam (I am the latter) have an important contribution to the "Islamic Nation"/Civilization. One need not look further than the Ansars who embraced the Prophet (P.B.U.H.) in Medinah to see that. In fact, the first Islamic community consisted primarily of converts as is half the population of Islam in some shape or fashion. I think many of us who were born Muslim and come from generations of Muslim pose the questions/concerns I wrote to you about. In fact, this is who the questions are generated from. Perhaps, these questions are more likely to come from those of us not living in traditionally in Islamic societies--I belong to a Mayalsian and Indonesian group and they have similar and other questions. In any case, I hope that the above quote was not a slight to converts. May Allah forgive me if this was not your intent but I would like to know what you meant by this. Also, I think maybe in our next discussion we should discuss the very real prejudice some born Muslims have toward coverts and other intracommunity issues we never discuss.

I am very happy to be apart of these discussions and the one I belong to in the US. I thank all who participate.

wasalaam,
shahidah
Zeenaeem

SAUDI ARABIA
Posted - Sunday, August 1, 2004  -  12:43 PM Reply with quote
Dear Shahida
Assalaamu Alaikum

Your previous quote:

“….How has the definition of equality changes so that when people look at the past they beleive (muslim and nonmuslim) that Muslim women had it better than other women but in the present the perception is that Muslim's women's status lag behind other women.”

Unquote

What I meant to say about the “perception” you have quoted is that, had the status of Muslim women lagged behind other women (non-Muslims), these non-Muslim women would not have liked to adopt the way of Islam and got themselves reverted to Islam, only to be counted with the women lagging behind, in status.

The enemies of Islam always construe theories of falsehood about Islam and Islamic practices and moral ethics. When they are at it, they never fail to highlight misconstruing the rights of women in Islam, unknowing the actual rights our women are enjoying. Many a non-Muslim women, in fact study the rights available in Islam, the way Muslim women enjoy their life, the morality, cleanliness, faithfulness etc. Islam demands out of men and women. They are amazed by the way women are generally treated by Muslims, irrespective of the hue and cry of the western media. These are the women who compare the status they had in their religion and the status they will be offered with, in Islam. Once they come under the fold of Islam, they are astounded by the way they are respected. Many non-Muslim women after reverting to Islam, have praised the Hijaab, saying how dignified and comfortable they feel for the first time in their life.

I have seen Muslims women queuing behind a critic of Islam in demanding rights (as if they are not there) from Muslims community, and opposing Hijaab. I have seen that such ladies have enormous knowledge and intelligence to cope up with problems of the world, but lacking proper Islamic Knowledge, and due to the support and encouragement of other critics of Islam, they start questioning the very essence of Al-Qur’aan, instead of analyzing and finding the truth of their own. This is due to the scanty Islamic knowledge they got from their parents/schools or no knowledge at all.

The cherished goal of media pundits, Western experts on Islam and the feminists is to liberate Muslim women from such oppression. Such is the result of a fierce propaganda campaign that has been going on for a very long time. The attack has been so ferocious that the veil and all the aspects of Shariah (Islamic laws) dealing with women should have been pulverized under its intense heat. Yet in the US, the Western Europe, Japan and Australia, it is the women who have been turning to Islam in record numbers. It was not supposed to happen. And when it does, the propaganda machinery does not acknowledge it. It puts a little more pressure on the accelerator.

There is something to be said about the NY Times or LA Times reporter who will travel half way around the world to interview a woman with a Muslim sounding name in, say, Pakistan or Afghanisthan to talk about the Shariah’s injustices to women, while ignoring the Muslim women in their own backyard who have experienced both the worlds and yet love the Islamic one, hijaab and all. They fail to interview their own women folk who, discarding all their churches turn to Islamic Institutions, Mosques and Muslim habitations only to willingly fall in the trap of hijaab. The reporter travels not in search of truth, but only believability. For, the truth hurts; believability, on the other hand, is the foundation for building circulation and for propaganda !!

Should not we listen to the women who were raised and educated in the west, had first hand experience of the status of women in the society, then studied Islam and observed the life behind the veil, decided to cross the fence against all the propaganda about immediate doom, and have enjoyed life ever since? These women do not exist in the propaganda world. They are never allowed to speak on the pages of “prestigious” publications. They have no rights.

A Japanese Lady named “Khaula Nakata”, who embraced Islam writes about her experience of hijaab:

“I have been wearing hijaab since I embraced Islam in Paris. The exact form of hijaab varies according to the country one is in, or the degree of the individual’s religious awareness. In France I wore a simple scarf which matched my dress and perched lightly on my head so that it was almost fashionable. Now, in Saudi Arabia, I wear an all-covering black cape; not even my eyes are visible. Thus, I have experienced hijaab from its simplest to its most complete form.

While describing her feelings, she says : “I did feel different, somehow purified and protected, I felt as if I was in Allah’s company. As a foreigner in Paris, I sometimes felt uneasy being stared at by men. In my hijaab I went unnoticed, protected from impolite stares. Hijaab reminds people who see it that God exists….“

“Muslims are accused of being over-sensitive about the human body but the degree of sexual harassment which occurs these days justified modest dress. Just as a short skirt can send the signal that the wearer is available to men, so hijaab signals, loud and clear : “I am forbidden for you.”

I hope the above gives you some idea about the wrong perception, people have regarding the status of women in Islam in general, and wearing hijaab in particular.

Peace & Polite Smiles

Zeenaeem

USA
Posted - Tuesday, August 10, 2004  -  10:12 PM Reply with quote
Dear sisters and brothers,
why is there the thinking about women that they are not equal to men? For example, when playing games, I am told by westerners that my brother would be better just because he's a boy, and that he would be better at cooking, building things and AT many other things, he is four years younger, yet they don't see the age just the gender. Is it the same way in Islamic countries? Are women thought to be bad at things just because they are females? Are they meant to be that way by Allah. Shoudn't they take more responsibilities sinse they are older than their younger brothers?
abdullah099

USA
Posted - Wednesday, August 11, 2004  -  6:11 AM Reply with quote
Salam alaikum. I see where your coming from. I'd like to bring up one point first, and that is that we could never accomplish anything without the help of Allah s.w.t. It is by his leave that a person is physically strong or weak. It is said that on the day of judgement a muscular man will be brought infront of Allah s.w.t. and in the eyes of Allah s.w.t. that man won't weigh much. Meaning that although he was considered strong and looked up to for these characteristics during his time on earth. When he meets Allah s.w.t. all of that will be nothing in the eyes of Allah s.w.t.

Now then to answer your questions. Not only in Muslims countries but also in other countries you will find that women are descriminated against in a number of ways. Does this mean that Islam condones this? Not by any means. Muslim women and men share equal rights in Islam, and women are in some ways more special than males. For instance, we are suppose to love our mothers more than our fathers. If your praying and your father calls you then you are to continue praying, but if your mother calls you, you should answer her. It is due to ignorance that men feel they are mentally more capable than women. Although it is true that Allah s.w.t. made us different physically, that doesn't mean that women cannot accomplish the same tasks as men can or as well as men can. Even when it comes to fighting, women are allowed to fight alongside males according to Islam. During the time of the prophet Muhammad s.a.w. and after him there were many great female warriors who slayed many unbelievers. I myself cannot cook. So to say that women cannot cook better than males is an outright lie. I will never be able to cook like my mother or sister can.

When it comes to such things as gender descrimination, the best thing to do is to ignore all such remarks and continue to live your life the way you want to. Don't listen to egocentric males. Or females who try to put you down. Be who you wanna be without losing your respect and dignity. Sometimes feminist women are so determined not to be descriminated against that they go out of their ways to gain the same status of a male in every walk of life. Like the feminists in the United States who wanted to make it mandatory for all females to register for the army once they've reached the age of 18. No one wants to stop them from fighting, but they want to make it so that all women have to join. It's not right that they should do that because they are trying to be males. Women and males are equal but different in their nature. There is good in both. Remember that the prophet Muhammad s.a.w. warned women not to emulate men and men not to emulate women. Because if you do such a thing, you won't even smell the fragrance of paradise when on the day of judgement. So basically what I'm trying to say is fight for your rights but keep your femininity.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker