Next page >>
Page 1 of 4

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Frazzle

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Monday, October 18, 2004  -  1:55 PM Topic is locked
Smelly breath during fasting

Salaam alaikum, can someone please help me on something - is there anything in Islam which enables one to keep his/her breath cleansed of smell while fasting? I need to know this because the smell is offensive. I need to interact with people. Thanks.
rehan888

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, October 19, 2004  -  5:40 AM 
aslam aleikum
many scholars say it is permissible to use toothbrush.....because its not good either to hurt others with ur smell....
lubnaatif03

AUSTRALIA
Posted - Tuesday, October 19, 2004  -  6:08 AM 
I believe Islam proposes the method of ablution (wadu) five times a day to cleanse all impurities and help remove/minimize odours. Here are a few suggestions: make sure you don't eat anything (like eggs, garlic etc.)in sehr that originates the problem of bad breath, brush afterwards, and since most bad breaths are not becasue of the teeth but because of the tongue and the palate left uncleaned....make sure you clean them thoroughly and rinse them well everytime you perform ablution. InshaAllah, you'll find it works.
Frazzle

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, October 19, 2004  -  1:44 PM 
I read somewhere that it's OK to brush teeth and gargle while fasting as this does not break the fast. That's true, right? Toothpaste is all I have.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, October 19, 2004  -  4:20 PM 
Deep Gargling should be avoided.
Frazzle

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, October 19, 2004  -  4:25 PM 
What's deep gargling? There's only one gargling and I need to do this to stop the smelly breath. I have to apply toothpast in the throat to clean it.
khusro

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, October 20, 2004  -  6:25 AM 
Dear brother,

One should not do something which he cannot control. When you gargle and apply paste to your throat then you cannot control it to go forward inside even a little bit. Then it would harm your fast.

W'Allaho Alam

Wajahat
ajmal

OMAN
Posted - Thursday, October 21, 2004  -  10:31 AM 
There is no need to gargle. You may clean your teeth using either 'Miswak' or toothbrush with paste. You may clean your tongue using a tongue cleaner available in the market, without toothpaste, rinse with water till you feel fresh.
Frazzle

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, October 21, 2004  -  5:19 PM 
Unfortunately, I'm getting conflicting advice again. Not sure what miswak is, but here's the source of my information: http://soundvision.com/info/ramadan/howfast.asp look for 'What does not break the fast' and here someone says gargling also doesn't break the fast. I really need some concrete hadiths to show what's permissible to stop the smelly breath while fasting.
Frazzle

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, October 21, 2004  -  5:21 PM 
I shouldn't just click on the link, this editor is unreliable. Highlight upto 'howto', copy then paste into browser.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 22, 2004  -  7:48 AM 
this is what i found at the above link:

Bathing: if water is swallowed unintentionally, it does not invalidate the fast. " However, while fasting gargling should be avoided"
Frazzle

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, October 22, 2004  -  9:54 AM 
Miswak is a stick, right? Is it good enough to cleanse the breath without me needing to gargle?
rehan888

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, October 26, 2004  -  4:29 AM 
aslam aleikum
but make sure wht ever product you use is halaal....since alot of the products in the market are haraam
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, September 9, 2008  -  7:26 AM 
quote:

I read somewhere that it's OK to brush teeth and gargle while fasting as this does not break the fast. That's true, right? Toothpaste is all I have.

Many of the scholars I consulted have advised and recommended to use toothpaste and toothbrush after finishing the Suhoor meal, before declaring the beginning of fast.

And in my opinion thorough gargling immediately after Suhoor meal (before the time of commencement of fast) will keep your mouth fresh all day.

Allah, the Almighty knows best.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, September 9, 2008  -  7:30 AM 
quote:

quote:

Many of the scholars I consulted have advised and recommended to use toothpaste and toothbrush after finishing the Suhoor meal, before declaring the beginning of fast.

And in my opinion brushing followed by thorough gargling immediately after Suhoor meal (before the time of commencement of fast) will keep your mouth fresh all day.

Allah, the Almighty knows best.

for mods:

I had to re-type because there was no option to edit nmy previous message.

shahidas

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, September 9, 2008  -  11:59 PM 
Dear brother
gargle with some anticeptic after you have finished eating and before going to bed, making sure to brush the teeth and clean the tongue and do the same after Sehri before it ends. This will take care of the problem Inshallah.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3 4
Next page >>
Page 1 of 4

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker