1 2 3 4
Next page >>
Page 2 of 4

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Frazzle

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, September 10, 2008  -  7:16 PM 
Sometimes it works alhamdhulillah but sometimes it doesn't because the mouth smells in the morning again then I have to brush in the day to avoid offending people with my breath, and the bacteria is all around the tonsils where the smell begins.

Anyway, I've decided that toothpaste and mouthwash are all that I have to combat the smell and if they work before going to bed then fine but if i have to brush again in the morning then Allah forgive me, I cannot cause offence when interacting with people.

Salaam alaikum and Happy Ramdzan.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, September 11, 2008  -  1:37 AM 
quote:

Sometimes it works alhamdhulillah but sometimes it doesn't because the mouth smells in the morning again then I have to brush in the day to avoid offending people with my breath, and the bacteria is all around the tonsils where the smell begins.

Anyway, I've decided that toothpaste and mouthwash are all that I have to combat the smell and if they work before going to bed then fine but if i have to brush again in the morning then Allah forgive me, I cannot cause offence when interacting with people.

Salaam alaikum and Happy Ramdzan.

Wa Alaikum Assalam w.r.w.b and wish you also a Happy and beneficial Ramadhaan.

By the way, I did not get your point when you say "because the mouth smells in the morning again". What I have suggested is to brush and gargle just before the Fajr Adhaan, which is almost morning.

For the remaining part of the day when you are mostly awake, you will be washing your mouth and brushing your teeth for every "wudhoo". It is recomended that you use "siwak" (tooth stick" to brush the teeth during the day time. Siwak is available in several of the on-line stores dealing with Islamic products.
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 11, 2008  -  1:00 PM 
Brothers & sisters, I disagree with those who say toothbrushing is not allowed during fasting.
Islam urges its followers to be clean, decent, and pleasant in their appearance and smell. During the Holy Prophet's lifetime, he (pbuh) and his Companions used to have Siwak (Miswak or Tooth stick) to keep their mouth fresh and clean. There was no toothpaste then.
We must understand that the word "Siwak" does not just refer to the tree branches that are used as tooth sticks, but to the act of brushing the teeth itself. It is derived from the verb sak, meaning to rub, clean, buff, or polish.
Those who say that only miswak is allowed, because in tooth paste ur bound to swallow some of it, I would like to ask them when you use miswak there is quite a chance that you swallow some pieces of wood.
It is mentioned in Sahih Bukhari
Volume 3 : Book 31 : Hadith 154 :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Narrated by Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "If somebody eats or drinks forgetfully then he should complete his fast, for what he has eaten or drunk, has been given to him by Allah." Narrated 'Amir bin Rabi'a, "I saw the Prophet cleaning his teeth with Siwak while he was fasting so many times as I can't count." And narrated Abu Huraira, "The Prophet said, 'But for my fear that it would be hard for my followers, I would have ordered them to clean their teeth with Siwak on every performance of ablution." The same is narrated by Jabir and Zaid bin Khalid from the Prophet who did not differentiate between a fasting and a nonfasting person in this respect (using Siwak).

Aisha said, "The Prophet said, "It (i.e. Siwak) is a purification for the mouth and it is a way of seeking Allah's pleasures." Ata' and Qatada said, "There is no harm in swallowing the resultant saliva."
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, September 12, 2008  -  2:23 AM 
quote:

"There is no harm in swallowing the resultant saliva."

Please dont take hadith out of context. Tell us the historical background of the above narration?

Was it regarding use of siwak while one is fasting?

And produce your argument that explains that the hadith applies to toothpaste swalloing?
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 12, 2008  -  1:30 PM 
quote:

quote:

"There is no harm in swallowing the resultant saliva."

Please dont take hadith out of context. Tell us the historical background of the above narration?

Was it regarding use of siwak while one is fasting?

And produce your argument that explains that the hadith applies to toothpaste swalloing?

Brother check the reference of the hadith i provided, look it up and u'll find this there
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, July 19, 2009  -  4:02 PM 
quote:

quote:

......And produce your argument that explains that the hadith applies to toothpaste swalloing?

Brother check the reference of the hadith i provided, look it up and u'll find this there
The Hadith is not about the brushing wiht foaming pastes" After brushing with the siwak or brush one normally washes the mouth thorouhgly. Then one doesnt have to keep spitting to dy the mouth as "There is no harm in swallowing the resultant saliva."
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, July 19, 2009  -  7:39 PM 
No I think resultant saliva here does mean that after or while you clean the saliva if is swallowed does not harm.
And if your saying that one spits the toothpaste out then your agreeing that toothbrushing doesnt make your fast void.

And In my humble opinion, when a person is toothbrushing he is doing an act of cleanliness, with intentions of purifying oneself, not with the intention that they are feeling hungry and can't resist the taste of toothpaste.

Edited by: shah_625 on Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:50 PM
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, August 26, 2009  -  6:29 PM 
quote:

No I think .........

And In my humble opinion......

What I think, and what is in my humble opinion is not above what Allah says, and The Prophet said.

Edited by: aboosait on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:30 PM
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, August 27, 2009  -  5:42 AM 
Where does Allah or His Prophet(PBUH) say you can't toothbrush while fasting?
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, August 29, 2009  -  5:36 PM 
quote:

Does that question mean that you believe one of them has said so somewhere ?
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, August 29, 2009  -  5:41 PM 
quote:

No I think resultant saliva here does mean that after or while you clean the saliva if is swallowed does not harm.

While you clean if you swallow do you think you will be swollowing your saliva or the toothpaste dissolved in saliva?

After you finish cleaning and washing your mouth with water, what comes from your glands within the mouth is saliva. There cannot be any toothpaste in it.
dubmuz

IRELAND
Posted - Sunday, August 30, 2009  -  12:15 AM 
I know someone who used mouthwash that had alcohol- says it's ok coz u spit it out...I dunno why u would use the alcohol one when there is an alcohol-free one available- People make up their own rules regarding stuff like that- I'd feel wierd using toothpaste in ramadhan- if you brush before bed and use mouthwash and just a brush with water in the morning- I reckon that would work but if your breath stinks and u work with people...it's not worth losing ur job over...lol
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, August 30, 2009  -  1:07 PM 
quote:

quote:

Does that question mean that you believe one of them has said so somewhere ?

Looks like a nice way of avoiding the answer to the question.
It means that you are allowed to clean your teeth during fasting. In Prophet (PBUH) times, miswak or siwak was used for cleaning one's teeth and mouth. Now things have changed we use toothpaste, but the act of purification is the same.
Do you think your not swallowing anything when you use miswak? For your kind information, miswak contains trimethylamine, salvadorine, chlorides, fluorides in large amounts, silica, sulphur, vitamin C and small quantities of tannins, saponins, flavenoids and sterols.
Apart from these there's a high chance you swallow small tid bits of the twig too. I don't see how that is different from swallowing some amount of toothpaste.
I wonder what your point is by saying that after we rinse our mouth, salivary glands produce saliva??

aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, September 1, 2009  -  11:24 AM 
quote:

........ miswak contains trimethylamine, salvadorine, chlorides, fluorides in large amounts, silica, sulphur, vitamin C and small quantities of tannins, saponins, flavenoids and sterols.
Apart from these there's a high chance you swallow small tid bits of the twig too. I don't see how that is different from swallowing some amount of toothpaste......
Assuming your Chemical report on the ingredients of "miswak"to be true let us now compare characoal and diamond.

You know powdered charcoal is also used to clean teeth.

Would you say "I don't see how swallowing some diamond powder is different from swallowing some amount of charcoal powder" since both are different forms of Carbon ?

Edited by: aboosait on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 11:25 AM
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, September 1, 2009  -  11:58 AM 
@aboosait
I may have presented my point wrongly.
What I meant by saying " I don't see how that is different" I meant that in both cases one is swallowing substances etc.
So how is it that you allow only miswak and not toothpaste?
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, September 10, 2009  -  11:41 AM 
quote:

one is swallowing substances etc.
So how is it that you allow only miswak and not toothpaste?

Who is allowing you to swallow miswak?

Miswak is a stick with which one brushes the teeth.

No external foamenters are applied to it like you apply on a tooth brush.

And neither do a miswak's natural ingredients cause a foam to fill your mouth and cover your outer lips.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3 4
Next page >>
Page 2 of 4

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker