<< Go Back
Ask a Question
Question asked by Sameer Khan.
Posted on: Friday, September 15, 2006 - Hits: 6024
Who is eligible for Zakat? Please answer on the basis of the Quran and Sunnah.
Mr Javed Ahmed Ghamidi explains the heads on which the Zakah can be spent in the light of the Qur'an:
When the directive was being introduced the Arabs who were the direct addressees of the directive were also clear on the heads of the Zakah. Traditionally the charity has always been given away to the poor and the needy. However, when some hypocrites leveled charges against the Prophet regarding the disbursement of the tax, the Almighty reaffirmed these heads. The Almighty says:
The charity is only for the welfare of the poor and the needy, for those who have been employed (to collect and distribute) it, to be spent in winning the hearts (of those who need to become favorably inclined towards Islam), in ransoming the captives, helping the debtors, travelers, and (it has to be spent) in the cause of God. This is a duty enjoined by God. God is all-knowing, oft wise. (9:60)
This verse specifies the following recipients of the amount collected as Zakah :
• for the poor and the needy,
• for those who have been employed by the state
• for the state to spend it for the political purposes in the benefit of Islam and the Muslims,
• to release people from all kinds of slavery,
• to help those who are indebted under any kind of loss, ransom, or debt,
• to spend in the service of the religion of God and in the welfare of the people.
• for the benefit of the travelers through providing them support, and building roads, bridges, and road side inns etc
Tariq Mahmood Hashmi
Reserach Assistant, Studying Islam
Zakah on Wealth
Zakah for building Sschools and Mosques
Tax versus Zakat
Zakah to Brothers and Sisters
Zakah to Non-Muslims
Counter Question Comment
You can post a counter question on the question above.
You may fill up the form below or click
to send via email.
Note: Your counter question must be related to the above question/answer.
Do not use this facility to post questions that are irrelevant or unrelated to the content matter of the above question/answer.
© 2003-7 |
Code of Conduct
An Affiliate of
Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®