Page 1 of 4

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
salmant

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Wednesday, February 14, 2007  -  6:19 AM Reply with quote
New Program on Geo called "Ghamidi"

Dear all,

Geo-News has started another infotainment program called "Ghamidi". The program is hosted by Mr. Asif Iftikhar and as I perceive it, it will inolve a discussion on Mr. Ghamidi's views on some contemperory issues. The program profile is available on Geo Website, the link is given below:

http://geo.tv/geonews/program.asp?pid=530

This topic is initiated to discuss anything regarding this program, to start with, I have a few discussion points:

1) Why is this program named as "Ghamidi", should the purpose of this program be to convey Mr. Ghamidi's thoughts only, or other viewpoints will also carry equal weightage here as well?

2) The program is hosted by Muaz Ahsan Ghamidi, son of Mr. Ghamidi, and hosted by Mr. Asif Iftikhar (student of Mr. Ghamidi) - Does that sacrifise the objectivity of this program?

3) The format of the program is such that the Host and Mr. Ghamidi are sitting together, and the 4 other participants are seated away from them. By giving Mr. Ghamidi a superior chair, distant from the rest, there is an implicit suggestion that he is more knowledgable than the rest of participants. This further indicates the participants can only put questions to him, reducing any chances of criticism, or differing viewpoints from the participants to get through. For example, in my opinion, in the first episode, the criticism from a participant, Hafiz Tahir was not getting approval from the host. The host was on a totally different track altogether, giving more air-time to Mr. Ghamidi than Hafiz Tahir.

I ll appreciate if people comment on the above issues.

Regards,
Salman
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, February 14, 2007  -  6:56 AM Reply with quote
"Great opportunity to find out possible answers to questions that have boggled the minds of scholars, thinkers, intellectuals, and students from times immemorial. Only on Geo News. Don’t miss it!!"

This is what the webpage says about the programme.It doesnt mention anything about discussion.

I expect it would be an alim ontv sort of programme,where a difference kind of audience will be replied whose questions are not normally addressed by traditional religious scholars in open air.
khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, February 14, 2007  -  7:18 AM Reply with quote
Actually , there are few traditional scholars who are at level of Ghamidi sahib like Mufti Taqi Usmani and Dr Israr.

Normally , in such programs , opponents scholars do not have ability to counter Ghamidi Sahib on the base of arguments.

The main concern for me the get up of Ghamidi 'son Muaz which will bring about negative impact on Ghamidi works on Islam.

Ok , Mauz get up is not prohibited type but should care that he is son of Islamic Scholar.Your get up should be mirror of your culture and religion.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, February 14, 2007  -  7:30 AM Reply with quote
khaledgr8 wrote: Normally , in such programs , opponents scholars do not have ability to counter Ghamidi Sahib on the base of arguments.

Reply: They might not be able to counter him, but that decision i.e. whether they are able to or not should be left to the program. Whats the point of Pre-supposing it?

khaledgr8 wrote: The main concern for me the get up of Ghamidi 'son Muaz which will bring about negative impact on Ghamidi works on Islam.

Reply: I think lets not go into personal matters, what do you say?
khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  5:30 AM Reply with quote
Salamat says:They might not be able to counter him, but that decision i.e. whether they are able to or not should be left to the program. Whats the point of Pre-supposing it?

Reply: For any discussion, participant must be equal in scholastic level. The theme of program seems to me are to present the opinions of Ghamidi Sahib on the base of arguments.

The traditional scholars do not have proper understanding of the principles on which Ghamidi Sahib presents his sum ups. These scholars do not have preparations to counter him on the base of arguments from Quran & Sunnah.

They just came out one the base of surface knowledge about him that he is denier of Hadith, fellow of west, a modernist etc.

AJJ ISLAM program having topic ISLAMIC STATE was aired a year ago .The participant were Dr.Israr and Ghamidi Sahib.Dr.Israr has good sound knowledge of religion and contemporary world. That was really worth seeing program .Ghamidi Sahib had to work hard to present his opinions before him.

Therefore, such programs should be exemplified for better understanding of two opinions.

I hope, I might have cleared you.

Salamat: I think lets not go into personal matters, what do you say?

Reply: You are absolutely right. I have presented this objection in the light of contemporary Islamic intelligentsia. You must be agree that simplicity has worth in Islam and being a part of great Islamic scholar these minors things hold major impact. What do you say?
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  6:06 AM Reply with quote
Dear khaledgr8,

I agree with you the reason why the program Aaj Islam was so interesting was that both scholars were given equivalent oppurtunity to express their views in terms of time, format of the program and questions. One is able to do comparative analysis of both views if things happen like that. I am arguing for a similar thing in this case is. See if traditional scholars have only surface understanding of Ghamidi view, this should be brought up in light in the program by questioning both the scholars. The superiority or inferiority of the approach or arguments of either scholar should be determined by the audience of the program after watching it. It should not be predetermined. So equivalent oppurtunity should be given to scholars in such programs, otherwise it will just be a propaganda of one particular viewpoint, and nothing else.

Regarding your second concern, You are right that minor things in our society have started to hold major impact. But dont you think that is sad. I think people must be educated to see beyond appearances, instead of relying on stereotypical myths. Especially in matters of religion.

Regards,
Salman
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  6:08 AM Reply with quote
Quote: For any discussion, participant must be equal in scholastic level. The theme of program seems to me are to present the opinions of Ghamidi Sahib on the base of arguments.

The arguments between two scholars of different thoughts is not a good idea to show in public.It is not good for Muslims and Islam as well.

Quote:-The traditional scholars do not have proper understanding of the principles on which Ghamidi Sahib presents his sum ups. These scholars do not have preparations to counter him on the base of arguments from Quran & Sunnah.

I have a different kind of experience here in these forums.The moderators here failed to show some thing from Quran and Sunnah in their support of a false understanding of Sunnah,which I was keep requesting from them.This is I am talking the discussion took place between my self and Brother Tariq Hashmi and Brother Ibrahim on the course “Undersating of Sunnah.So the deviation the from Quran and Sunnah is very vesible here in few courses.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  6:29 AM Reply with quote
usmani wrote: The arguments between two scholars of different thoughts is not a good idea to show in public.It is not good for Muslims and Islam as well.

Reply: Why not?

Usmani wrote: I have a different kind of experience here in these forums.The moderators here failed to show some thing from Quran and Sunnah in their support of a false understanding of Sunnah,which I was keep requesting from them.This is I am talking the discussion took place between my self and Brother Tariq Hashmi and Brother Ibrahim on the course “Undersating of Sunnah.So the deviation the from Quran and Sunnah is very vesible here in few courses.

Reply: After having read that forum, I totally have a different observation. My impression was that you came into that discussion predetermined that whatever they are saying (or will say) is wrong. This reduced your ability to understand what they were writing. I think the reason why Mr. Tariq Hashmi stopped replying to you was because of unwillingness to analyze and present valid criticism to the arguments being presented by them. Instead you kept on bombarding everyone with your own view. I wouldnt have written this but you have done a similar thing in the forum "Place of Tasawwuf in Traditional Islam" with my questions as well. Let us realize that it is not a wrestling ground, "proving the other wrong" is not the point. Understanding and evaluating each others arguments is the purpose. The discussion never proceeds if the other is not willing to listen to you.
khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  6:59 AM Reply with quote
Dear Salamat ,

I totally agreed you.

Our focus should be understanding and knowledge sharing not to let down each others. I have observed in SI forums , a discussion never goes to end and people remain adamant on their opinions rather than to reach a particular conclusion.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  7:41 AM Reply with quote
A schalor;s views may looks more revelent in the basis on his aruments but there is always posiblity that in the eyes of Quran and Sunnah it may be wrong.

Brother Islam is not based on some one personnel opinions no matter how good knowledge person may have.If he saying some thing on a very basic and important issue of the religion and not providing any reference from Quran and Sunnah even after many requests of mine,his views and opinion may be important to you but for me his own views and opinions without Quran and Sunnah have no value.

What happened in that forum please see again.I really wish to know where did I mistake so in future I will be careful.It will be a great help.

You wrote:-Fourthly, please elaborate on the words of the Hadith, I dont quite understand, because if it is "what I like it is from Allah" - so anything that I like (I may not be a very pious person) becomes part of my religion, because it is from Allah? Can religion be defined like that?

I wrote:-Now you have problem with the prophet(pbuh) words also,

You reply:-Brother you being student of one of the pupils of a great scholar like Maulana Taqi Usmani, should not indulge in lame accusations in order to win your case.

I wrote:-What I said to you just because one should not pass such remarks on the Prophets words.I did not accused you but commented on your own words you wrote.They were not appropriate at all, ask any one else if you still not sure.

Could you please tell me I did this because I win to my case?Do you know what is in my heart? Certainly you did not and this what is called accusation and may be some thing more than that.

You wrote:- The rest of what you wrote, My reply to it is that I am speechless at your elequaonce, knowledge and your attitude towards handling criticism.

Can see here that how you accused me but where did I accuse you, please show me.

Thank you
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  7:51 AM Reply with quote
You wrote: "A schalor;s views may looks more revelent in the basis on his aruments but there is always posiblity that in the eyes of Quran and Sunnah it may be wrong.

Brother Islam is not based on some one personnel opinions no matter how good knowledge person may have.If he saying some thing on a very basic and important issue of the religion and not providing any reference from Quran and Sunnah even after many requests of mine,his views and opinion may be important to you but for me his own views and opinions without Quran and Sunnah have no value."

Reply: The assumption is that arguments would not be coming from Quran & Sunnah. What if they are, is it still not fruitful to have a comparative analysis of differing interpretations of Quran & Sunnah?

I am again speechless at the rest of your assertions.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  8:32 AM Reply with quote
Dear Participants

Plz Note that this Program (i.e. Gamidi) is a Program of Geo Channel, so we are NOT in a position to satisfy you all about the Basic Qs have been raised by Br. Salman Or about the VALUEABLE comments are being Given by others. Plz Post your Qs/comments at Geo site OR Directly at www.gamidi.org.

Nevertheless You may continue posting your Thoghts HERE as well BUT to exchange Views JUST.

Thanks
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  8:34 AM Reply with quote
Thanks Br. Ibrahim,

I totally understand that.

Regards,
Salman
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  9:19 AM Reply with quote
Quote:-The assumption is that arguments would not be coming from Quran & Sunnah. What if they are, is it still not fruitful to have a comparative analysis of differing interpretations of Quran & Sunnah?

As far as programme of Geo TV is most of the people are not looking at the discussion as you think, rather they follow the aruments only and it might become their undersatnding of the religion.

Secondly as far as the my discussin with Mr.Tariq Hasmi is why he was not able to provide the reference from Quran and Sunnah? even after many request from my side?

Nothing else but deviation from Quran and Sunnah.If you still think that he was right and I was wrong so you have a chance to help him by providing the references fron Quran and Sunnah.Other wise please don't side him.

Quote:-I am again speechless at the rest of your assertions

To come up like this is not serving any purpose.Any way its your choice.You have to be carefull next time before accuse some one.Don't looks always on others mistakes its not good thing to do and not wish realize own;s mistakes.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  9:41 AM Reply with quote
Quote: As far as programme of Geo TV is most of the people are not looking at the discussion as you think, rather they follow the aruments only and it might become their undersatnding of the religion

Reply: "They follow the arguments only" - What does this mean?, the argument as I understand, is usually on the validity of interpretations of Quran and Sunnah in such programs. So if people choose an interpretation which is better explained on the basis of arguments (from Quran & Sunnah) supporting it, What is wrong with that? Otherwise, who, if not they themselves, decides for the people which is a valid interpretation of Quran & Sunnah?

I still do not want to comment on your rest of statements. I feel it is a kiddish way of fighting on things, defeats the purpose of discussing things.

Regards,
Salman
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  9:58 AM Reply with quote
What about you, don't you only want to let me down?Speaking agaisnt me without providing any thing I have said,very sad.

See the issue of my discussion with brother Tariq.You start acusing me having red long discussion between us in just few minutes only.I am surprized ,without realizing the failure of brother Tariq to give reference from Quran and Sunnah.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3 4
Next page >>
Page 1 of 4

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker