Next page >>
Page 4 of 8

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, July 23, 2008  -  10:45 PM Reply with quote
Part B

It was a little difficult first to understand as to why the response from the Muslim brother was rather patronizing and but it becomes quite clear that it is not an isolated view, but a reflection of the extreme intolerance that a significant number of our Muslim brothers subscribe to; coupled with their self imposed ideas as to how the rest of us should be indoctrinated to think and behave.

All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the lord of the Alamin (not al muslimeen) but of (mankind, jinn and all that exists) is what our GOD has prescribed to the human race, and one should resist any philosophy changing these prescribed views. God that we share simply implied by me is the reflection of above.

On the subject of video evidence, I was able to see a number of videos supporting and explaining Islam by the disciples of Christianity. I am pretty sure that a number of videos also exists highlighting the extreme views within the Muslim community on other faiths

My Muslim brother claims that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world including the west (With Muslim brothers killing each other in sectarian violence globally, the predominant reason when non Muslims convert is when they take it upon themselves to read and understand and NOT because the Muslims inspire)

I do not know which country my Muslim brother quotes when he talk of millions of Christians living under a tolerant Muslim country, MUST be the other way around. Even our adopted country has allowed us to built and preach through 1200-1400 mosques in UK with relative tolerance shown to even those mosques openly teaching more radical and hostile views. The Islamic religion is tolerant but not its current practioner.

Muslim community constitute one billion global underachievers in economic, educations, science and discovery. We have been dependant on the achievement of other faiths and without their helping us we would be living in the medieval times. So I suggest instead of living in delusions of grandeur and condemning all other GOD created races, we should follow our religious guidelines to our advantage. Educate, discover, innovate, tolerate , inspires inter faith tolerance and above all enlighten ourselves rather than have unbearable attitude of hatred towards them but don’t mind getting paid by them at the end of the month , or even better living off their dole money

Kind regards

Haroon
StudentAffairs

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, July 31, 2008  -  6:08 PM Reply with quote
This month´s chat session went well yesterday (Wednesday 30th) with interesting discussions (thanks to the participants) on inter-faith topics, including the true meaning of Islam, the history of Bible and some controversial issues with regard to the original texts of Bible and different perspective on foundations of Christianity.

The next session will be on the last Wednesday of August (27th) and the topic for a brief talk at the beginning of the session will be "How to go to Heaven". This as usual will be followed by general question and answer and discussion on Islam.

Abdullah Rahim
davidsparrow

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, August 17, 2008  -  10:19 AM Reply with quote
It's good to read Haroon's voice of reason. In support of him, I would like to add a comment based on many years observation: I had thought the tendency to judge others was a Christian vice. Not that Jesus says do it; in fact he has some harsh words for those that do judge others or gossip about them. I had thought it a Christian vice because I am a Christian and I have observed this happening. As I have become involved in interfaith dialogue it has become clear to me that believers of all faiths do this. They judge others. They are nasty about other people, and only rarely do they give them the benefit of the doubt. God tells us not to judge others because we do not know their story. We do not know what they have gone through or why they have done (if indeed they have!) what they have. Only God knows this, and it seems he is happy with this arrangement.

Every faith has dirty hands. When we come to the table of interfaith, we all come with a tradition of intolerance and hatred. We come to the table with blood on our hands. I find this helps to keep a good perspective. Of course throughout history there have been those courageous members of all faiths who have stood up for justice, harmony and love, and we do well to remember them.

Finally, I notice a tendency to treat religions as consumable products. Which one is best. Which one gets you to God, or gets you there quickest. If any one thinks faiths are like this, they haven't just missed the point, they're on a different planet. Faith is a journey. A journey for the individual soul. No soul's journey is better than another (is travelling to Vienna better than travelling to Berlin?).
(Unless you're travelling to Helsinki, in which case neither will get you there, but one may get you nearer...)
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, August 20, 2008  -  6:28 AM Reply with quote
" Unless you're travelling to Helsinki," i like that one dave
(do try n make it on sunday as i mentioned some of our other scholars/editors including the dean of the site visiting)

also ps that linda posted re another 'coming together' event. i think its from kingsway
as the lecture itself is quite long, am posting in parts

Shalom -

The lecture that is attached was delivered by the
Chief Rabbi of the UK to the assembled bishop ot the Lambeth Conference.
It is the best statement on covenant I have read in a long time. If you
haven't already seen it, I hope you will enjoy it.

Rod +

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, August 20, 2008  -  6:32 AM Reply with quote
The Relationship between the People and God

by

Chief Rabbi of the UK, Sir Jonathan Sacks

“Friends, this is for me a profoundly moving moment. You have invited me, a Jew, to join your deliberations, and I thank you for that, and all it implies. There is a lot of history between our faiths, and for me to stand here, counting as I do the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Archbishop of York as beloved colleagues, is a signal of hope for our children and the world they will inherit.

Many centuries ago the Jewish sages asked, who is a hero of heroes? They answered, not one who defeats his enemy but one who turns an enemy into a friend. That is what has happened between Jews and Christians: strangers have become friends. And on this, I think the first occasion a rabbi has addressed a plenary session of the Lambeth Conference, I want to thank God in the words of the ancient Jewish blessing, Thank You, God, for bringing us to this time.

I

You have asked me to speak about covenant, and that is what I am going to do. We will discover not only a transformative idea, one that changes us as we think of it; not only a way forward for faith in the 21st century. We will also find ourselves better able to answer the question: what is the role of religion in society, even in a secular society like Britain.

And let’s begin our journey at the place we passed on our march last Thursday, in Westminster. It was such a lovely day that I imagine meeting up with my granddaughter on the way back and taking her to see some of the sights of London. We’d begin where we were, outside Parliament, and I imagine her asking what happens there, and I’d say, politics. And she’d ask, what’s politics about? And I’d say: it’s about the creation and distribution of power.

And then we’d go to the city, and see the Bank of England, and she’d ask what happens there and I’d say: economics. And she’d say: what’s economics about? And I’d say: it’s about the creation and distribution of wealth.

And then on our way back we’d pass St. Paul’s Cathedral, and she’d ask, what happens there? And I’d say: worship. And she’d ask: what’s worship about? What does it create and distribute? And that’s a good question, because for the past 50 years, our lives have been dominated by the other two institutions: politics and economics, the state and the market, the logic of power and wealth. The state is us in our collective capacity. The market is us as individuals. And the debate has been: which is more effective? The left tends to favor the state. The right tends to favor the market. And there are endless shadings in between.
contd:
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, September 7, 2008  -  11:27 AM Reply with quote
September 05, 2008 Friday Ramazan 04, 1429

Ramazan festival launched in UK

By M. Ziauddin

LONDON, Sept 4: A campaign, called Ramazan Festival, has been launched here and in a couple of other European countries to what the organisers say create harmony amongst different cultures and religions by inviting people of all faiths to take part in celebrations of the holy month of Ramazan.

The campaign urges Muslims to use the 30-day holy period to reach out to other communities who are either not aware of the rich Islamic culture or have negative perceptions about the Muslims and Islam.

It is asking the over 1,600 UK mosques and cultural and religious organisations to make it a point to invite people from other faiths and backgrounds to observe from close quarters the cultural strength of Islam.

Director of the festival Syed Mohsin Abbas said: “Ramazan is the perfect vehicle to initiate positive dialogue between Muslims and the mainstream. And the Iftar is the perfect time to celebrate the positive contribution, richness and diversity of British Muslims.”

Ramazan Festival is the first transnational cultural event of its kind and also it is taking place for the first time in Britain. Mr Abbas said that Muslims would ‘feed a friend’ during the campaign to help the British homeless.

Many restaurants owned by Muslims have been lobbied to run a discounted Iftar menu. Hundreds of arts and cultural events, including Iftar parties and Eid fairs and celebrations, are being planned across Europe.

The director hopes the festival will be successful in achieving its desired objectives in the long run. “Our intention is to arrange 40 days of arts and cultural events in 2008 which will reflect the diversity of British Muslim cultural expression that exists in the UK. We are here to stay and we will take the uniqueness of this festival to Muslim communities all over the world.”

The Ramazan Festival has been running successfully in the Netherlands for about three years and was this year launched in Norway with France and the US in the pipeline. Mr Abbas said he felt the urgent need to introduce the festival to the UK audience in view of the need to raise the standard of dialogue on extremism and community cohesion to a more sophisticated level in order to promote greater mutual understanding and provide a chance for Muslims to shout out a clear message against the violent extremists from all backgrounds.

Meanwhile, Foreign Secretary David Miliband greeted the Muslims around the world on the occasion noting that Ramazan was a month of ‘contemplation, prayer and spirituality, a chance for Muslims to look at their own lives and judge them against the high standards that they set for themselves.”

Mr Miliband also hosted an Iftar-dinner on Wednesday evening for a select gathering of Muslim leaders in the UK which was also attended by leading Muslim media persons.

http://www.dawn.com/2008/09/05/top14.htm
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, September 20, 2008  -  10:23 PM Reply with quote
From Jewish Community:

There are two events coming up and one bit of news that may be of interest to you:

1. On Sunday 19 October, we are holding a multi-faith "Prayer for Peace" which takes place during the "Week of Prayers for World Peace". The event will involve each faith group taking around 10 minutes to share between one and four passages of prayer, poems, songs or other spiritual expression on the theme of world peace. The event starts at 3:00pm at the Christian Science Church in Maidenehead. More details are available on www.maidenheadinterfaith.org.uk (under "Shared Prayers"). There are no charges for this event. Children are particularly welcome.

2. On Saturday 25 October, we are holding another hugely successful and enjoyable “Diversity Day”. The event will start around 11:00am and continue until the evening. The day session will involve a series of faith and interfaith based presentations, workshops (such as meditation, housing needs and mental health support and puppet shows) and discussions. Around 6:00pm, there will be dinner provided by the many different cultures involved in the event. In the past, the range of food from different parts of the world has been quite wonderful. After dinner, there will be an entertainment session. Details of the Maidenhead venue will be available on www.wamcf.org.uk when the venue is fixed. People are welcome to come for any part or all of the event. There are no charges for this event. Children are particularly welcome.

3. The interfaith mobile exhibition "Three Questions of Faith" has now been booked to start its tour of the Royal Borough from Monday 20 October. The exhibit will be displayed in the Town Hall for the first week and start a six month tour of Maidenhead, Windsor and Ascot libraries from 27 October, starting for three weeks in Maidenhead Library. A press launch is being held at the Town Hall on 20 October at 9:00am. If anyone ones to come to the launch, contact Nigel Cohen for details, on 01628 660665.

With best wishes

Nigel
--------------
G Nigel Cohen
Maidenhead Interfaith
Tel : 01628 660665

Web : http://www.maidenheadinterfaith.org.uk
--------------
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, October 13, 2008  -  7:16 AM Reply with quote
Muslims Celebrate Eid in the Capital
(MCB Document)
11 Oct 08

Thousands of people came to the capital today to mark the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr at London's Trafalgar Square. Hosted by the Mayor of London and organised with the help of the Muslim Council of Britain, the event aimed to ensure a joyful and fun day for all of London's diverse communities, uniting in a spirit of goodwill.

Crowds descended on the landmark in warm sunshine for the third annual 'Eid in the Square' to mark the end of Ramadan with music, exhibitions, activities for children and prayers. Revellers sampled the delights of souks and stalls while enjoying the centrepiece of the festival – live acts from the very best of the London and British Muslim music scene. The urban female group 'Pearls of Islam' delighted the audience with their performance with their unique sound of traditional instruments such as the dumbek and the djmebe, accompanied with rap, poetry and nasheeds.

South Londoner Muslim Belal Muslim used his gift of the spoken word, rap and hip hop to tell his story of converting from the streets to Islam, while established band A'ashiq al-Rasul delighted the audience with their blend of traditional Islamic songs updated for an English audience.The live entertainment also included traditional music from the Muslim world with Qawwalli from Sajjad Ahmed Khan and North African Rai music from Abdel Kader Saadoun and Takalid.

Speaking at the event, Mayor Boris Johnson said "This festival will bring together people from all parts of London and the world to enjoy the celebrations, whilst being reminded of universal human values such as compassion and charity."

Welcoming the festival-goers, Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari Secretary General of the MCB said: " Today you Muslims here in Trafalgar Square represent diversity of our community: outside of the Hajj, the London Muslim community is perhaps the most multicultural Muslim community on earth. I urge you all to celebrate that diversity and share all the good our community has to offer with those around you."

On behalf of the organisers, the chair of MCB's London Committee, speaking after the event said: "For the third year running the MCB has assisted the Greater London Authority in organising a landmark event that will benefit not only all Londoners, but the rest of the nation. The MCB has marshalled its strength in bringing together London's diverse and vibrant Muslim community to come together to celebrate the very best of the British Muslim cultural scene. We hope this will be replicated across the country, where Muslims will invite fellow citizens in their celebration."
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, October 15, 2008  -  3:20 AM Reply with quote
quote:

11 Oct 08 Thousands of people came to the capital today to mark the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr at London's Trafalgar Square...................

Whereas the rest of the world celebrated Eid al-Fitr on the 1st/2nd of October.

quote:

.........to mark the end of Ramadan with music,...........live acts from the very best of the London and British Muslim music scene.

The urban female group 'Pearls of Islam' delighted the audience with their performance ..............

the end of Ramadan or the end of 'taqwa'?

quote:

Welcoming the festival-goers, Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari Secretary General of the MCB said: " Today you Muslims here in Trafalgar Square represent diversity of our community: outside of the Hajj,..........."

Does he mean to say that this is how Muslims 'celebrate' Hajj?
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, October 18, 2008  -  12:55 AM Reply with quote
A it was something like we do Eid milan
Look out for Festival of Dialogue for a grand opportunity for communities to come together and discuss the common and uncommon issues while living together. For details contact
David Sparrow
david@art-beyond-belief.com
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, October 23, 2008  -  5:34 AM Reply with quote
quote:

A it was something like we do Eid milan

Sorry. At our Eid Milan urban female groups are not called upon to delight the audience with their performances.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, October 23, 2008  -  7:16 AM Reply with quote
A;better not make me speak about wat happens where u live just pray to God to help you all be able to cleanse u may publicize our online courses
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, October 24, 2008  -  6:57 AM Reply with quote
quote:

A;better not make me speak about wat happens where u live

Wasnt it you that publicized what happened where you live?

quote:

........The urban female group ..........delighted the audience with their performance ..............
islam2gether

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, November 8, 2008  -  4:20 PM Reply with quote
Welcome to SI forums I ; Please post your writing to our General Forums as it is irreleveant to Interfaith Forums.
jzk many thx

Edited by: hkhan on Sunday, November 09, 2008 5:00 AM
mbellos

NIGERIA
Posted - Thursday, November 13, 2008  -  5:55 PM Reply with quote
Assalamoeleikumwarahmatullah. What is wrong if Muslim ?Sisters sing Islamic Songs in crowds. If Brothers can do it why cant sisters! They are not inviting men to shameful acts by sing Islamic Songs? Are they? If men think of dirty things even on listening to clean things by sisters, then they need some treatment of their minds and hearts. Putting unnecessaried restrictions on women is not the solution. Astaghfirullamin kulleizambin.Ya Allahsubhanahutala. Give our brothers clean hearts and minds so sisters can have the freedom Allahsubhanahuwatala and Mohamad salawatuwassalam had gave to them.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, December 2, 2008  -  10:10 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Assalamoeleikumwarahmatullah. What is wrong if Muslim ?Sisters sing Islamic Songs in crowds................

Wa alaykum assalam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.

The discussion is about the statement:

The urban female group 'Pearls of Islam' delighted the audience with their performance ..............

Singing of Islamic songs is a different topic and can be discussed in a separate thread.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next page >>
Page 4 of 8

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker