1 2 3 4 5
Next page >>
Page 4 of 5

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Saturday, September 19, 2009  -  11:45 PM Reply with quote
Bismillah. May Allah soften our hearts to the truth. May Allah Guide us to the straight path.

Saba, I have taken a few moments over the past few days and wanted to share one more thing. Again, you can disregard it if you feel inclined:

There is a concept in Islamic Law (Shariah) called ijma, which means consensus. According to our traditions of Islamic thought and scholarship as well as the Shariah, if there is complete ijma on an issue it becomes a decided matter. If there is disagreement, then the issue remains open to discussion within the Islamic scholarly tradition.

I will be generous, and rather than a single generation of scholarship (which is our tradition), I will grant a wide time frame of 1000 years: Can you please give me one recognized scholar from the time of the Prophet (upon whom be blessings and peace) to the 11th Hijri century (or about 6th Century to 16th).

InshaAllah you will find ijma. Or, scholarly consensus on this issue - From the Prophets (peace be upon them all), the companions of Muhammad (peace be upon them - who learned directly from his words, which is revelation). Following them (may Allah be pleased with them) we have generations of scholars who followed those teachings. Kindly, provide for me one recognized scholar who disagreed that hijab is obligatory during those 1000 years (and the burden of proof is upon you since there is a scholarly ijma (consensus)) on this issue. As generation after generation of scholars following the Prophet (upon whom be blessings and peace) agreed.

InshaAllah you will correct me. BarakAllah fiikum.
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, September 20, 2009  -  6:17 AM Reply with quote
Lognac thank you for going the extra mile to guide me or point out this detail. Give me time as I myself am not a scholar but will research and ask scholars to get this information for you. It is Eid tomorrow and in Pakistan this is the only time without censure from any religious group we can celebrate and be happy and share this feeling with family and friends.
I am sorry but I did not greet or wish you all I know it was Eid yesterday in your part of the world, so belated Eid greetings hope you had a good day.
In the mean time maybe you can read this article

http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_351_400/quran_does_not_mandate_hijab.htm

Please free to contact its author he is a learned scholar and would give you the answers you seek. Also you can ask Mr. Shehzad Saleem dean and CEO of Studying Islam and also a very patient teacher. If Dr. HKhan feels appropriate ask him to explain all that you have on this forum.

Edited by: saba2 on Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:19 AM
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, September 23, 2009  -  4:39 PM Reply with quote
the matters which have not been clearly ordered in Qura'n or Sunnah are always open to study and research in changing times keeping in view the basic theme and essence, haya or modesty in this case.
head covering is nothing but a manifestation of this spirit which has perpetuated all through the ebbs and flows of muslim civilization. in other words, the head covering has not been promulgated by the Law yet its perpetuation exhibits the inclinations of muslims in matters of haya (modesty).

the ultimate aim of the religion is the purification of the soul; towards this end it urges and guides its followers. but this purification is not merely an abstract thing. our outer being plays a major role in achievement of this end; and therefore the choice of ‘forms’ is essentially important to retain and nourish the substance. hence proper dress code is a fundamental thing for cleansing and purifying our soul.

one can argue that scarf is not included in the proper dress code and people may differ upon the definition of what is proper. in this regards, our parents and the society in general does help us decide what is proper; our conscience no doubt also facilitates us in choosing what is right since as we contradict what our conscience says ‘proper’, it pricks us terribly. however, if a Muslim lady decides most sincerely that head covering does not fall within the ambit of proper dress, she will not be held accountable since what she decided was based on her sincerity as the matter has not been addressed directly by the Shariah.
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, September 24, 2009  -  1:37 AM Reply with quote
Saba:

I read the article. The author actually called hijab an innovation in diin. This is something really serious. MashaAllah he has a PhD in Radiology. Islamic scholarship has a system of ijaza that provides authorization to give Islamic rulings. Does Dr. Ibrahim have ijaza in the area within which he is giving rulings, and has he studied Islamic studies - if not, maybe he can also explain why he feels comfortable giving rulings in a area that is not apart of his academic field. The article does not address the ayah we have discussed about the headscarf, interestingly.

Hkhan:

Please think kindly about those words you have said. if a Muslim lady decides most sincerely that head covering does not fall within the ambit of proper dress, she will not be held accountable since what she decided was based on her sincerity as the matter has not been addressed directly by the Shariah You too will be held accountable for your advice (posted here online for anyone to read and act upon) that hijab is not apart of Islam or Islamic Law.

May Allah guide us.
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, September 24, 2009  -  1:39 AM Reply with quote
Saba, I do hope you are looking into recognized scholarship regarding hijab in the 1000 years from the time of our beloved Prophet (upon whom be blessings and peace) and afterward.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, September 24, 2009  -  5:47 AM Reply with quote
thx loganc; i appreciate ur concern in this regard.i hv very responsibly posted these views, don't worry my dear brother i wud be least worried to look for a list of scholars when i hv the other sources available as mentioned below, and am able to read and understand.
the basic sources of islam remain Quran and Sunnah;tawatar is the continuation of an action like salah, fast, hajj, nikah and many other islamic values which runs in generations to protect these values. the door to further study & research keeping the basics from these sources was and will always remain open.the four a'ima did not shut this door behind them. just as they did, today as well an islamic scholar can rise and bring his/her results to the world.

saba and loganc; moderators can be with u upto a limit in these discussions~u may continue ur discussions but whenever u feel dissatisfied with the given facts, you may write to
query@studying-islam.org

over to you query service

(loganc;do hv a luk at a few issues i hv posted to our communities forum re: your speciality SH.look fwd to ur comments)
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 24, 2009  -  9:36 AM Reply with quote
Lognac I did not disappear but was looking into ‘Ijma’ and so read a few articles and asked scholars for knowledge (hkhan I did seek advice from studying-Islam query and this is what I received

“The doctrine of ijma stands on fragile grounds. It has no basis in religion. Imam Ibn Taymiyah for example differed from the four imams in 31 issues, and similarly there were many scholars who were differed with him later. There are several examples in which the companions differed from one another in the interpretation of verses and criticized each other in a healthy manner. Thus we see Ayesha (rta) rebuking Ibn 'Umar (rta) for his views about the punishment in the grave of a deceased person.

In religion the real thing is the arguments a view carries and not how many people who subscribe to a view. When the Prophet (sws) was called to prophethood, it was this age old fallacious argument of ijma of the forefathers which was given to him by the Quraysh: he was told that he was going against the established ijma in matters of religion of his ancestors. The Prophet of course did not accept this argument.”

From another scholar this is what I received “In Shari'ah there 4 guiding sources: Qur'an, Hadith, Qiyas (anology) and Ijma(consensus). There is another one which is most important and most neglected, that is called'IJTIHAD' or innovative opinion. Argument based on Ijma is very weak and fragile.”

From an article which is very long this is what I got

"The problem with ijma begins with the definition of the term. There is no ijma (consensus) on the definition of ijma (consensus). Careful scrutiny of the literature bears this point out.
Interestingly, the issue of the definition of ijma was not raised until the time of Imam Shafi'i (d. 204 AH). Even the 4th century scholar Abu Bakr al-Jassas (d. 370 AH) did not provide definition. By the end of 4th century attempts by various scholars to deal with the definition of ijma begin to appear. These are discussed in detail by Hasan (2003).[1]
Abul Husayn al-Basri (d. 436 AH): "Agreement of a group (jama'ah) on a certain matter of by action or abandonment."
Imam Al-Ghazali (d. 1111 AH): "Agreement of the community of Muhammad on a religious point."
Al-Amidi: (d. 1233): "Agreement of all the people of binding and loosing who belong to the community of Muhammad, in a certain period of time, on a rule about a certain incidence."
Based on the various definitions of the term, four broad aspects of an ijma can be identified. Interestingly, there is no ijma (consensus) about any of these four aspects:

• Whose agreement constitutes ijma?
• What competence should the constituent group minimally have?
• What time period does an ijma cover?
• What subject matters fall within the scope of ijma?
At this point, it is worthwhile exploring in greater detail: Whose agreement constitutes ijma?
"According to the orthodox view, ijma is the unanimous agreement of the community or of the scholars."[1]
Notably, the orthodox view above fails to agree on whether it is the consensus of the entire community or the consensus of the scholars that is specified. According to Imam Shafi'i, an ijma is not an ijma unless it is of the entire community."
Source: The Doctrine of Ijma: Is there a consensus?
By Dr. Mohammad Omar Farooq

This is all that I received on Ijma. We are all mature adults and realize our responsibilities and understand the consequences of our actions hkhan has already answered her stance and I will repeat mine I don’t think modesty of a woman is compromised if she does not cover her head , I have seen women around me working doing jobs as doctors bankers economists teachers who are modestly dressed and yet don’t cover their heads they have the respect of their colleagues and no one will criticize them as being immodest. Then there are women who are students home makers social workers going about their daily lives none look immodest in comparison to women who cover their head. Hkhan I do agree with you on this and I quote ]“people may differ upon the definition of what is proper. in this regards, our parents and the society in general does help us decide what is proper; our conscience no doubt also facilitates us in choosing what is right.” I also agree with you and I quote “the ultimate aim of the religion is the purification of the soul; towards this end it urges and guides its followers. but this purification is not merely an abstract thing. our outer being plays a major role in achievement of this end; and therefore the choice of ‘forms’ is essentially important to retain and nourish the substance. hence proper dress code is a fundamental thing for cleansing and purifying our soul." The ultimate aim is purification of the soul but less and less people seem to be working towards it ,this may be due to the fact that it takes hard work and consistent dialogue to firmly imbed values.
Saying all this I will withdraw myself from this forum because I have said what all I had to say and I don’t want it to sound like a debate for the sake of debate, I sincerely believe in all this that I have said.

Edited by: saba2 on Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:33 PM
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, September 24, 2009  -  2:30 PM Reply with quote
Fair enough.

May Allah guide us all to the truth.
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, September 24, 2009  -  3:38 PM Reply with quote
I am sorry, I need to just at least respond on that issue so that I can stand in front of Allah and tell Him I did my best:

TEXTS ON IJMA`

1. Fa`tasimu bi hablillahi jami`an wa la tafarraqu "Hold fast to the rope of Allah, all of you, and do not split into
factions" (3:103).

2. Wa la tafarraqu illa min ba`di ma ja'ahum al-`ilmu baghyan baynahum "And they were not divided until after the knowledge came unto them, through rivalry among themselves" (42:14).

3. Ya ayyuha al-ladhina amanu ati`ullaha wa ati`u al-rasula wa uli al-amri minkum "O you who believe, obey Allah and obey the Prophet and thoseof authority among you" (4:59).

4. Wa man yushaqiq al-rasula min ba`di ma tabayyana lahu al-huda wa yattabi` ghayra sabil al-mu'minin nuwallihi ma tawalla wa nuslihi jahannama wa sa'at masira "Whoever contraverts the Messenger after guidance has become clear to him and follows other than the believers' way, We shall give him over to what he has turned to and expose him unto hell, and how evil an outcome!" (4:115).

5. Wa asbir nafsaka ma` al-ladhina yad`una rabbahum bi al-ghadati wa al-`ashiyyi yuriduna wajhah wa la ta`du `aynaka `anhum turidu zinat al-hayat al-dunya wa la tuti` man aghfalna qalbahu `an dhikrina wa ittaba`a hawahu wa kana amruhu furutan "Restrain thyself along with those who call upon their Lord at morning and evening, seeking his pleasure; and let not thine eyes overlook them, desiring the pomp of this worldly life; and obey not him whose heart We have made heedless of Our remembrance, who followeth his own lust and whose case has gone beyond all bounds." (18:29)

6. Ati`u Allaha wa ati`u al-rasula wa uli al-amri minkum... "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those who are in charge of affairs among you. Should you happen to dispute over something, then refer it to Allah and to the Messenger." (4:58-59)

7. `Alaykum bi al-jama`a fa innallaha la yajma`u ummata Muhammadin `ala dalala "You have to follow the congregation for verily Allah will not make the largest group of Muhammad's community agree on error."

8. La yajma`ullahu ummata Muhammadin `ala dalala "Verily Allah will not make Muhammad's community agree on error."
La yajma`ullahu ummati `ala dalala "Verily Allah will not make my community agree on error" Inna Allaha la yajma`u ummati -- aw qala: ummata Muhammadin --`ala dalalatin wa yadullahi ma` al-jama`a "Verily Allah will not make my community -- or Muhammad's community -- agree on error, and Allah's hand is with the largest congregation." Tirmidhi said: "And the meaning of "jama`a" according to the people of knowledge is: the people of jurisprudence, learning, and hadith."

9. Man arada minkum bi habuhat al-jannati fal yulzim al-jama`at "Whoever among you wants to be in the middle of Paradise, let him cling to the congregation."

10. Inna al-shaytana dhaybun ka dhayb al-ghanam ya'khudh al-shat al-qasiya wal-najiya fa iyyakum wal-shu`aab wa `alaykum bil-jama`ati wal-`aammati wal-masjid
"Shaytan is a wolf like the wolf that preys on sheep, taking the isolated and the stray among them; therefore, avoid factionalism and keep to the congregation and the collective and the masjid."

11. Inna ummati la tajtami`u `ala dalalatin fa idha ra'aytum al-ikhtilaf fa `alaykum bi al-sawad al-a`zam. "My community shall never agree upon misguidance, therefore, if you see divergences, you must follow the greater mass or larger group." a. Lan tajtami`a ummati `ala dalalatin fa `alaykum bi al-jama`ati fa inna yadullahi `ala al-jama`a. "My Community shall not agree upon misguidance. Therefore, you must stay with the congregation, and Allah's hand is over the congregation."

12. Innallaha qad ajara ummati min an tajtami`a `ala dalala "Verily Allah has protected my Community from agreeing upon error."

13. Kana al-nasu yas'aluna Rasulallahi `an al-khayr wa kuntu as'aluhu `an al-sharr...qultu ya rasulallahi sifhum lana [ayy al-du`at `ala abwabi jahannam] qala hum min jildatina wa yatakallamuna bi alsinatina qultu fa ma ta'murni in adrakani dhalik al-yawm? qala tulzim jama`at al-muslimin wa imamahum "People used to ask the Prophet about the good and I used to ask him about the evil... I said: O Messenger of Allah, describe them to us [the callers at the door of the fire]. He said: They are of our complexion and they speak our very language. I said: What do you order me to do if that day reaches me? He said: You must keep to the congregation of Muslims and to their leader."

14. Yadu Allah `ala al-jama`a "Allah's hand is over the group." al-Munawi said: "Allah's hand is over the group means His protection and preservation for them, signifying that the collectivity of the people of Islam are in Allah's fold, so be also in Allah's shelter, in the midst of them, and do not separate yourselves from them. Whoever diverges from the overwhelming majority concerning what is lawful and unlawful and on which the Community does not differ has slipped off the path of guidance and this will lead him to hell." Yadu Allah `ala al-jama`at wa man shadhdha shadhdha ila al-nar. "Allah's hand is over the group, and whoever dissents from them departs to hell."
Yadu Allah `ala al-jama`a, ittabi`u al-sawad al-a`zam fa innahu man shadhdha shadhdha ila al-nar. "Allah's hand is over the group, follow the largest group, for verily whoever dissents from them departs to hell." Man faraqa al-jama`ata shibran mata maytatan jahiliyya. "Whoever leaves the community or separates himself from it by the length of a span, dies the death of the Jahiliyya (period of ignorance prior to Islam)";

15. Ma ra'ahu al-muslimuna hasanan fa huwa `ind Allahi hasanun. "That which the Muslims consider good, Allah considers good."

16. Sataftariqu ummati `ala thalathat wa sab`ina firqatin kulluhum fil nari ila millatin wahidat, qalu man hiya ya rasulallah, qala ma ana `alayhi wa as-habi "My Community will split into seventy-three sects. All of them will be in the fire except one group. They asked: Who are they, O Messenger of Allah? He said: Those that follow my way and that of my companions."

17. La tazalu ta'ifatun min ummati yuqatiluna `ala al-haqqi zahirina ila yawm al-qiyama "There will always be a group from my Community that fight for truth and remain victorious until Judgment Day."

May Allah guide us.
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 26, 2009  -  8:21 PM Reply with quote
This is so beautiful I wanted to share with all on this forum

Nizar Tawfik Qabbani

--
Nizar Qabbani

Born: 21 March 1923
Damascus, Syria
Died: 30 April 1998
London, England

Nationality: Syrian

Would You Permit Me?

نزار قباني
Nizar Kabbani

في بلاد يغتال فيها المفكرون، ويكفر الكاتب
وتحرق الكتب، في مجتمعات ترفض الآخر، وتفرض الصمت على الافواه والحجر على الافكار،
وتكفر اي سؤال، كان لابد ان استأذنكم ان تسمحوا لي..
In a country where thinkers are assassinated, and writers are considered infidels and books are burnt, in societies that reject others, and force silence on mouths and thoughts forbidden, and to question is a sin, I must beg your pardon, would you permit me?
فهل تسمحون لي
ان اربي اطفالي كما اريد، وألا تملوا علي
اهواءكم واوامركم؟
Would you permit me to bring up my children as I want, and not to dictate on me your whims and orders?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اعلم اطفالي ان الدين لله اولا، وليس
للمشايخ والفقهاء والناس؟
Would you permit me to teach my children that the religion is first to God, and not for religious leaders or scholars or people?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اعلم صغيرتي ان الدين هو اخلاق وأدب وتهذيب
وامانة وصدق، قبل ان اعلمها بأي قدم تدخل الحمام وبأي يد

تأكل

Would you permit me to teach my little one that religion is about good manners, good behaviour, good conduct, honesty and truthfulness, before I teach her with which foot to enter the bathroom or with which hand she should eat?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اعلم ابنتي ان الله محبة، وانها تستطيع ان
تحاوره وتسأله ما تشاء، بعيدا عن تعاليم أي أحد؟
Would you permit me to teach my daughter that God is about love, and she can dialogue with Him and ask Him anything she wants, far away from the teachings of anyone?
·
هل تسمحون لي الا اذكر عذاب القبر لاولادي،
الذين لم يعرفوا ما هو الموت بعد؟
Would you permit me not to mention the torture of the grave to my children, who do not know about death yet?
هل تسمحون لي
ان اعلم ابنتي اصول الدين وادبه واخلاقه، قبل
ان افرض عليها الحجاب؟
Would you permit me to teach my daughter the tenets of the religion and its culture and manners, before I force on her the 'Hijab' (the veil)?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اقول لابني الشاب ان ايذاء الناس وتحقيرهم
لجنسيتهم ولونهم ودينهم، هو ذنب كبير عند الله؟
Would you permit me to tell my young son that hurting people and degrading them because of their nationality, colour or religion, is considered a big sin by God?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اقول لابنتي ان مراجعة دروسها والاهتمام بتعليمها
انفع واهم عند الله من حفظ آيات القرآن عن ظهر قلب دون تدبر معانيها؟
Would you permit me to tell my daughter that revising her homework and paying attention to her learning is considered by God as more useful and important than learning by heart Ayahs from the Quran without knowing their meaning?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اعلم ابني ان الاقتداء بالرسول الكريم يبدأ
بنزاهته وامانته وصدقه، قبل لحيته وقصر ثوبه؟
Would you permit me to teach my son that following the footsteps of the Honourable Prophet begins with his honesty, loyalty and truthfulness, before his beard or how short his thobe (long shirt/dress) is?
· ·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اجاهر، ان الله لم يوكل احدا في الارض بعد الرسول لان يتحدث باسمه
ولم يخول احدا بمنح 'صكوك الغفران' للناس؟
Would you permit me to argue, that God did not authorize anyone on earth after the Prophet to speak in His name nor did He vest any powers in anyone to issue 'deeds of forgiveness' to people?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اقول، ان الله حرم قتل النفس البشرية، وان
من قتل نفسا بغير حق كأنما قتل الناس جميعا، وانه لا يحق لمسلم ان يروع مسلما؟
Would you permit me to say, that God has forbidden killing the human spirit, and who kills wrongly a human being is as if he killed all human kind, and no Moslem has the right to frighten another Moslem?
·
هل تسمحون لي
ان اعلم اولادي ان الله اكبر واعدل وارحم من
كل فقهاء الارض مجتمعين؟ وان مقاييسه تختلف عن مقاييس المتاجرين بالدين، وان
حساباته أحن وارحم؟
Would you permit me to teach my children that God is greater, more just, and more merciful than all the (religious) scholars on earth combined? And that his standards are different from the standards of those trading the religion, and that his accountability is kinder and more merciful?

هل تسمحون لي
Would you permit me?

نزار قباني
Nizar Kabbani
sista_amina

NEW ZEALAND
Posted - Saturday, September 26, 2009  -  8:51 PM Reply with quote
Jazakallah. It is very nice poem sister. But all these things can be done together in a beautiful balance. We don't have to give up one for the other. May Allah help us fullfill our responsibility in the best & most balanced way as this is the quality of the Muslim Ummah.Ameen.
safimera

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, March 2, 2010  -  2:26 PM Reply with quote
Sister Saba' arguments wonderful and full of research.

I read all above discussionS FROM all participants and can conclude for myself that:

Head covering is not must but it is better option religiously also .
It has been mentioned in Quran (even if u say it is for only wives of Prophet Muhammed (pbum))and then in the history of muslims almost all muslims followed it as to get more and more rewards and to please GOD. Then it becomes a part of culture so much so that if a woman tried not to cover head , she had been considered bad muslim woman.
Then culture took a new turn in last century and woman started to go out without head covering. So now there is conflict that it is faraz or simple a islamic culture??

After big research from some modern era scholars it has been found that

1) According to Quran and sunnah it is not must but, only modest dressing and covering the chest area are two main things which are faraz.

2) If some women are covering to please Allah (and only Allah , not husband or their surrounding islamic culture), she will definitely get more reward.

3) When a woman wear head cover , she definitely looks more modest than a woman without it (provided both are wearing same modest dress)and moreover if woman wear abaya she definitley looks more modest than head scarf alone.
This is true but interstingly same rule applied to MAN as well. A man looks more modest in dressing when he is covering himself with hat(or topi whatever)and wearing full sleeves shirt and so on as compared to a man who is wearing simple T-shirt and jeans. (sorry !here I went away from the topic)

4) So if woman want to become more modest looking, when going out to avoid mischievious staring OR to Please Allah, she can do anything from wearing head cover to full abaya with even face covering..But it should be choice of woman herself not outside pressure.....
otherwise MODEST DRESS IS MUST FOR ALL MAN AND WOMAN BUT WOMAN HAS SOME ADDITIONAL OBLIGATIONS FROM QURAN AND THOSE ARE: WHEN GOING OUT 1) NOT TO SHOW THEIR MAKE UP OR JEWELLARY AND 2)THEY SHOULD COVER THEIR CHEST AS WELL.

IF I am wrong or anybody wants to add something, please tell me.
I want to guide my own daughter and want to explain her in detail and then to give her choice.
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, March 2, 2010  -  6:26 PM Reply with quote
Just some food for thought:

Regarding the hijab Asra Nomani says, “But if you believed the scholarly evidence that hijab isn’t mandatory – as I did – then this wasn’t an issue” (p. 149). Although Asra quotes the verse 33:59, she has misunderstood the meaning of Arabic, or may not know the meaning of the Arabic words and is relying upon translations. The translations she has used for this verse (quoted below) translated “khimar” as veil. The word khumur, a plural of khimar, linguistically, socio-culturally and according to the practice of the people of the Prophet’s time (peace be upon him) is a headscarf. The scholarly explanation of Al-Qurtubi explains: "Women in the past used to cover their heads with the khimar, throwing its ends over their backs. This left the neck and the upper part of the chest bare, in the manner of the Christians. Then Allah commanded them to cover those parts with the khimar." Allah says:

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers [Arabic: Khumur] over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.” (24:30-31)

May Allah guide us all.
loganc

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, March 2, 2010  -  6:29 PM Reply with quote
I apologize if this offends anyone, but:

I requested for one scholar within 1000 years of the time of Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who said that hijab is not an obligation.

I've not seen a response on this.
safimera

CANADA
Posted - Wednesday, March 3, 2010  -  4:49 AM Reply with quote
salam

yes LOGANC! u r right...to my knowledge,
I never found any scholar who said hijab is not an obligation in past. Now also, I found Mr Ghamdi and in Mrspecial case MR Qardawi. (but he said that in west, if their Govt. makes rules, then it would be no obligation).

But always one thing comes to my mind: that may be it is because it was not the "ISSUE" at that time.

It is important...try to realize my point....(it could be wrong).

Until first world war, to cover their head is a compulsory part of woman's dress in whole over the world. It was part of the culture in all over the world. Infact not only woman , man are also usually supposed to cover their head in the form of hat, turban, big handkerchief etc etc.
Just look at the history , especially in whole muslim world from Morroco to Indonesia or arabs, turks or we indo.pak people....all males also covered their head and consider it bad if somebody was not doing so culturally .(not religiously).

So the issue was not there in the whole human history.
Now because of so called freedom of choice culture and global media technology issue has come up and then some present scholars found that it is not an obligation. (u may disagree with them).

What do u think??
safimera

CANADA
Posted - Wednesday, March 3, 2010  -  4:55 AM Reply with quote
sorry! some typing mistakes in my previous post.

In first paragraph I meant "presently I found only Mr Ghamdi and Mr Qardawi who said that hijab is not obligation in Islam."

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3 4 5
Next page >>
Page 4 of 5

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker